Monsturous OU

This is my original OU team. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Role: Ferrothorn is great pokemon on any team. He is my current lead. Leftovers is for recovery. The evs make him very bulky especially in special defence. Sassy helps gyro ball do more damage and adds extra bulk. Thunderwave is for crippling sweepers and other leads. Gyro Ball is for quicker threats like scarf users. Power Whip is primary STAB. His main role however is to set up as many layers of spikes as I can and hopefully force a few switch ins using twave.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
Role: He is a special wall. I decided not to invest any evs into def because i could switch out if i see a physical attacker. It has made a huge difference. Almost no special attackers can kill him. Leftovers adds to this by healing him. Aromatherapy is a great move for this team. Latios and terrakion cannot even function if they a paralyzed so i heal them. Softboiled is for self recovery which makes him a lot better. Seismic Toss is just general attacking. Toxic makes him actually able to kill the pokemon he stalls.

Gilla Monster (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Encore
Role: Gilla Monster is the inspiration of the team. The nickname seems like it would bother people if he messed up their strategy which he is very good at. I have him physically bulky because i didn't have enough of it on my team. His ability unaware is amazing. He has saved me multiple times. With his ability he can easily take down SD sweepers DD sweepers and shell smash users. I have Blizzard for dragonite,salamence and other setup dragons. Earthquake is for steel types like Lucario who try to SD sweep me. It also does well against other Terrakions. Recover makes him able to heal off the damage that he takes. Encore is for if any pokemon trys to setup against him.

Mamoswine (Tusks) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
Role: Tusks is my favorite revenge killer. I know most people don't use choice Scarf but trust me it works amazing. Snow Cloak actually saved me once against a hail team. The Evs and nature give him maximum power and speed. Icicle Crash is the primary STAB which with scarf i think is better than choice band ice shard. Plus it gets flinch. Ice shard is if dragons get in a few dragon dances and he can no longer outrun them. Earthquake is for steel types and fire types. Stone Edge is for added coverage. Choice Scarf catches so many people off guard and in my opinion works so much better than choice band i can't see why not to use it. He can kill most dragons and all 3 geneies.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
Role: is my SD sweeper. He has enough bulk to usually set up a sword dance. Once he does his power is unreal. Close Combat is a powerful STAB that kills almost everything that doesn't resist it and even some that do. His Ability helps if I switch in on any dark moves. X-Scissor is for added coverage and kills Slowbro. Stone Edge is for flying pokemon. He does well with Latios because latios lures dark pokemon. I used to use EQ over x-scissor but i realized it was redundant with close combat.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Role: He is a great special sweeper. I have him because he is powerful and requires no setup. Also lures darks. With the nature and evs he is very powerful and fast. Levitate helps Terrakion out to. Surf is for rock ground and fire pokemon. Thunderbolt does pretty good against flying and water pokemon. Hp fire deals with scizor ferrothorn and other steel pokemon. Draco Meteor is for other dragons or if I really need to kill something. It can OHKO a lot of pokemon.

Alright

Ferrothorn:

I would reccomend switching out spikes for Stealth rocks because SR has more damaging capabilities. I would also try to squeeze in leech seed instead of TWave if I were you. But then again thats all up to you.

Blissey:

I would run Bold nature on your Blissey and instead invest your Sp. Def EV's into regular defense because Blissey has already quite a sweet natural Sp. Defence bulk by itself, without that Blissey would get demolished by any physical attack if your ferrothorn is down.

Mamoswine:

I'm not sure an adamant natured Mamoswine with choice scarf would be able to outspeed things that your looking to outspeed. Mamo is a BULKY son of a gun and i'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind taking a hit or two. I would switch the scarf for a Life orb or Leftovers. But then again, that's just me.

-- Other then that I love the choosing of the pokes, they all have great synergy with each other. Covering each of their weaknesses

Hey, chaotictyranitar.

You may want to consider running a Gliscor over your Blissey to give you an answer to Fighting-type threats and Excadrill that can do some serious damage to your team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
--Protect/Taunt
--Swords Dance
--Ice Fang
--Earthquake

This guy can handle several common Fighting-types alongside your Latios but also deals with certain sand threats (just beware of Hidden Power Ice coming from guys like Landorus). I suggest using Taunt in the first slot to help you defeat Conkeldurr and Ferrothorn with limited collateral. This guy gives you a solid physical wall and allows you to shift your Quagsire's EVs to 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef to help check Thundurus. I would recommend replacing Blizzard with Ice Beam and your current Nature for a Sassy Nature. While more accurate, Ice Beam is a 3hko at best on Thundurus though.

I agree with Katz on finding room for Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn. Since Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave have a bit of a negative synergy, perhaps one of those could be removed for Stealth Rock. If you want to replace your Spikes support; however, then Leech Seed could take one of their spots instead. I also agree with replacing Scarf on Mamoswine with either Life Orb or Choice Band.

An alternative to what I have mentioned would be to place Gliscor over Quagsire and run Life Orb/Choice Band Mamoswine and Choice Scarf Terrakion, with Earthquake over Swords Dance. In this event you use Mamoswine and Terrakion as checks to Thundurus which leaves you free to replace Blissey with Jellicent for your Fighting weakness, if you so choose. Unfortunately, you may have to rename your team "Pringles" if you choose this route.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
--Scald
--Will O' Wisp
--Recover
--Taunt

Your average bulky Jellicent. Scald and Will O' Wisp is slightly redundant but it is good for scoring random burns if your opponent switches out after Will O' Wisp. Taunt prevents slower walls from being able to stall you while you wear them down with burn+scald damage.

Good luck.

Your team has a glaring Fighting-type weakness. Conkeldurr, Toxicroak, Lucario, and Scrafty are particularly threatening, as they can all hit Latios with a super effective Dark-type attack. Five out of your six Pokes that can be swept by one of 4 threats. I'd invest in a Skarmory (which walls most of your team as well, anyway), since it has excellent synergy with Blissey, and will take just about anything those afformentioned Fighting-types can throw at you, and strike back with a super effective Brave Bird.

As for Quagsire, drop Blizzard for Ice Beam if you need an Ice-type attack. Blizzard isn't worth running without Hail or Snow Warning, you don't want to rely on 70% if you can help it. Blizzard can and will miss at the worst of times, and while Ice Beam is a significant drop in base power, good damage every time is better than no damage 30% of the time.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

Pretty cool team you have there. However, I can see it have problems with both Trick Room and Calm Mind Reuniclus. It is very popular, and the Trick Room version with Psychic beats everything but Blissey on this team (with Psyshock it beats everything). This is rather bad. Your weakness to the Calm Mind version is even worse. It can set up on Blissey, Latios having used Draco Meteor, and Ferrothorn, and then start crushing your team with Psyshock and Focus Blast. Terrakion's X-Scissor will fail to OHKO it, while be sure it won't miss you with Psyshock. That's why you should swap Mamoswine for Scizor. Scizor can set up Swords Dance on Reuniclus and pummel it with a powerful STAB Bug Bite, while allowing you to revenge kill stuff with Technician Bullet Punch. I think Specially Defensive Scizor would be the best set to run, since it can set up on Latios and a lot of things. Here's what you should use :

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
Technician
EVs : 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Swords Dance
-Roost

Don't forget Blissey learns Stealth Rock too. You can replace Seismic Toss/Aromatherapy/Toxic with it and keep Spikes on your Ferrothorn. I'd get rid of Thunder Wave to get Leech Seed.

This is a pretty solid team. I only have one little suggestion that you might wanna try. You should try leech seed over gyro ball for extra healing and a better way to hurt walls. If you don't wanna try it that's ok because this team is fine as it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)