Mono-Type: Bug

Okay so I am a huge bug lover and I've finally decided to make a bug team in pokemon. But I wanted something that was really competitive. Something that can stand up against the strong and scary overused tier thats full of Rock and Fire moves.

So far this is what I have, and its been doing fairly well in Showdown:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 84 SAtk / 172 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This set is a bit weird for Volc, but without anyway to take atleast a neutral Special attack on my team, I decided to make him somewhat of a bulky sweeper. After a single Quiver Dance I've been able to take a rain-less scald really nicely and continue to set up and heal with leftovers.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break

This Scizor set is also some what of a hybrid of a Choice Band and sword dance set. I figure if I can atleast take a hit against something like Latios' Draco, I can scare it out with the choice banded Pursuit bluff and proceed to boost with Sword Dance. Bug Bite finds it use and Brick Break is for Specially Defensive Heatrans that wall my Volcarona.

Forretress @ Red Card
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

I figured the biggest threat to my team at this point are Choice locked or Outraged locked Dragons. On top of that my team really needs a spinner since most of my team is really weak to stealth rock. And thats where Forretress comes in. Gyro Ball is mainly to dish out some damage to Terrakion on switch and I wanted my own rocks to help my own sweepers.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Earthquake

Scolipede is boss. It is my Choice to go against Tyranitars and bait out Heatrans. Megahorn has about a 90% chance to KO T-tar with no defense investments and Earthquake checks offensive Non-Scarf Heatrans. With Sash if I fail to KO I can get a second chance (atleast against Heatrans). He also is used as a spiker, and with Deoxys-D gone, is the fastes choice for a spiker. Toxic Spikes aid against Blissy and Chansey when I see them, but they aren't that big of a threat to me.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Moxie Scarf Cross is my late game cleaner. After all the residual damage and bullet punching from Scizor going around, I find that I can easily clean up and win a game using Herracross. My choice in Night Slash is mainly there from Jellicent, but I find I fail to 2HKO without any prior damage.

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
Trait: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Lastly is Galvantula, or as I like to call her, my rain-counter. It's typing is perfect against types like Politoed and Keldeo and its natural speed allows me to outspeed all non-choice scarf users on a rain team. Since Tornadus-T is gone, I dont have to worry about much outspeeding this little critter, so choice specs is chosen as it boost its eh special attack to get good KOs. Even outside of rain its a beast since Compoundeyes makes it so my Thunders hit way more often. Bug Buzz is used to make minced meat out of the lati-twins and HP Ice catches her ground and dragon counters. Volt Switch will pull me out of an unfavorable match up.

Thanks and I hope that Bugs like Scolipede and Galvantula see more use in OU since the ban of Tornadus-T and Deoxys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)