MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prospects they received were Anthony Gose and Jonathan Villar.

Ed Wade then ships Anthony Gose to Toronto for Brett Wallace.

It seems like bad trade after bad trade lately... The Dan Haren deal was a dreadful one for the D-backs, the package the Astros got for Oswalt was bad (the initial one), and then a bad trade from Toronto's perspective.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
rofl I just read about the Gose/Wallace flip. just when I thought Ed Wade lost his marbles, the Jays make him look at least alright.

what. the. fuck. toronto.

Roy Oswalt to the Phillies is pretty much confirmed (waiting on Selig's approval of the trade). The Phillies send away JA Happ + 2 prospects and the Astros are sending $11 mil out of $23 mil on Oswalt's contract. Safe to say the unless those 2 prospects become stars (or Oswalt injures himeslf), the Astros got hosed.

Also I'd like to take this time to just laugh at Phillies GM Ruben Amaro. For a 2 time NL pennant winning team (with 1 WS), he has done such a terrible job as GM. Instead of having Cliff Lee moving forward and potentially resigning Jayson Werth, he's got Oswalt and the $125M man Ryan Howard.
That's assuming Cliff Lee would've have stayed. So instead of Cliff Lee, Ruben gets the best AL and NL pitcher this decade at long term discounts. Who are just 1 year older than Cliff Lee and have been dominating MUCH longer than Cliff Lee has. You really think the Phillies would/could match that 130 million contract the Yankees/Red Sox will offer Cliff this offseason?

Don't get me wrong, Ruben isn't exactly the shining example that GMs should strive for but people keep assuming that somehow he was supposed to assemble some dream team rotation.

Also lol assuming Jayson Werth is better than Ryan Howard LOL.... who am I kidding, Sluggers deteriorate faster than milk left out in 100 degree temperatures. I hope Howard doesn't pull a Todd Helton dropoff :(

Still, I like this deal for the next two maybe three years. After that? Um.......

aamto

That's assuming Cliff Lee would've have stayed. So instead of Cliff Lee, Ruben gets the best AL and NL pitcher this decade at long term discounts. Who are just 1 year older than Cliff Lee and have been dominating MUCH longer than Cliff Lee has. You really think the Phillies would/could match that 130 million contract the Yankees/Red Sox will offer Cliff this offseason?

Don't get me wrong, Ruben isn't exactly the shining example that GMs should strive for but people keep assuming that somehow he was supposed to assemble some dream team rotation.

Also lol assuming Jayson Werth is better than Ryan Howard LOL.... who am I kidding, Sluggers deteriorate faster than milk left out in 100 degree temperatures. I hope Howard doesn't pull a Todd Helton dropoff :(

Still, I like this deal for the next two maybe three years. After that? Um.......
no question, the deal for Oswalt is a steal for the Phillies. They have a ton of single A depth, Happ is fringe (and 27 going on 28 years old), and Oswalt is at least a #2 starter on a team with Roy Halladay. Unfortunately, this deal is tantamount to Amaro admitting he made a mistake by trading away Lee.

Consider this: after the 2009 season, Ruben Amaro had the easy job in the world. All he needed to do was trade for Halladay and he was set for 2010. No more moves needed. Instead of spending $125M on a 32 year old player in Howard (the extension will kick in when his current 3 yr/$54M deal expires) + the $12M they are gonna pay Oswalt, he could've had enough to make a serious run at Lee. Or he could've signed Jayson Werth. He may have been able to do both after the 2010 season end if the Phils make it to the WS again. Amaro has done a lot of shrewd things as a GM (the two deadline deals for Lee and Oswalt and signing of Polanco)...but his stupidity (signing an old Ibanez for too many years and too many dollars, trading away Lee for a case of peanuts, throwing trucks of money at Ryan Howard) far outweighs the good.

aamto

Washington is doing work in this trade market. Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, capitalizing on a decent reliever in a very weak market for, by all accounts, a good catching prospect. They just traded Cristian Guzman to the Rangers too, who will likely give them better prospects than other teams as they can't take on any salary...if they can trade Dunn away, they could restock the farm big time.

meanwhile, I think the Rangers are really spending a lot farm system talent and going for broke (lol). the Cliff Lee deal was all that needed to be done for them to be #1 in the West and a top 3 team in baseball. even with Dan Haren, the Angels stand no chance to catch them. Meanwhile, Jorge Cantu is a decent upgrade over Chris Davis at 1b, I guess but Guzman is just a stopgap until Kinsler comes back from the DL. unnecessary trade imo.

Yeah Guzman will be a utility player at best once Kinsler comes back. I like the trade though. I still don't understand though, how is Texas taking on all this payroll!?!?

I also like San Diego's trade for Miguel Tejada. He's not the player he once was but they could use the extra offense to hold off those surging Giants.

why is everybody so upset at the wallace thing. listen to fan 590 and you'll understand that Alex was pretty much forced into dealing wallace. We have wells, bautista, snider, lind, lewis who are all outfielders/DH. Thats 5, not 4, 5. So now we can have lind and snider play first base instead of wallace. meanwhile we got a 19 player who the phillies WOULD NOT GIVE TO THE JAYS in the roy halladay deal because he is a VERY GOOD PROSPECT. They gave us Wallace instead of Gose because they thought Gose was more valuable.

Good job by Alex for tricking houston into doing this

Jhonny Peralta HRs for The Tigers in his first at bat! He may not be cabrera, but his veteran bat is definitely better than a field of rookies! :)

aamto

why is everybody so upset at the wallace thing. listen to fan 590 and you'll understand that Alex was pretty much forced into dealing wallace. We have wells, bautista, snider, lind, lewis who are all outfielders/DH. Thats 5, not 4, 5. So now we can have lind and snider play first base instead of wallace. meanwhile we got a 19 player who the phillies WOULD NOT GIVE TO THE JAYS in the roy halladay deal because he is a VERY GOOD PROSPECT. They gave us Wallace instead of Gose because they thought Gose was more valuable.

Good job by Alex for tricking houston into doing this
i think the problem with this deal is that Wallace is more of a sure-thing to be, at the least, a productive bat. meanwhile, Gose is one of those typical raw, toolsy players in single A. he may have a higher ceiling than Wallace (debatable) but he also has a lower floor if his hitting never develops...and he doesn't have a particularly good bat now.

toronto is taking a gamble with this trade -- maybe their scouts see something no one else does.

Yeah I have to thank Jose Valverde for killing my fantasy team's ERA this week. Thanks a bunch.
hey, i wasn't happy when valverde nearly single handedly waisted all the efforts of the Tigers last night. at least He's out for a couple days...

Brett Wallace isn't that great anyways. His numbers are unspectacular in AAA this year. Pacific Coast League is a hitter's league and Vegas has an extreme hitter's park. He's also striking out an awful lot, and his discipline was never there. His defense is below average. And as far as his power goes, there's not much projectability going forward judging from his physical build.

The only real downside to the trade for Toronto is their lack of depth at first (though good hitting first basemen/DH are not that hard to find), and that he's in AAA and Gose is in A ball. Gose's upside is much greater than Wallace's, so if he progresses well this is a win for Toronto. Wallace is overrated.

ugh.... Tigers Pitching Screws the Tigers... ARGH!!!! THEY WERE SO FREAKING CLOSE TO WINNING AN AWAY SERIES!!!! Closing pitching is costing them... I'm so ticked...

i had faith in alex up until this point.

:( jays
Personally I was hoping the Jays would trade Buck for some prospects, cash, or draft picks, but oh well (nothing against Buck, but I think his trade value has pretty much peaked). I'm glad they didn't accept a trade they didn't think would improve the club though, but would have liked to see them getting something for these over-achieving players.

aamto

Brett Wallace isn't that great anyways. His numbers are unspectacular in AAA this year. Pacific Coast League is a hitter's league and Vegas has an extreme hitter's park. He's also striking out an awful lot, and his discipline was never there. His defense is below average. And as far as his power goes, there's not much projectability going forward judging from his physical build.

The only real downside to the trade for Toronto is their lack of depth at first (though good hitting first basemen/DH are not that hard to find), and that he's in AAA and Gose is in A ball. Gose's upside is much greater than Wallace's, so if he progresses well this is a win for Toronto. Wallace is overrated.
Gose has more upside...but if his hitting never develops, he could also end up being a 5th outfield type player. Wallace is pretty much set as a career average 1b/DH. Gose can either flame out spectacularly or develop into a star. i can see why Toronto would take the risk, as it's not like they are going to be competitive in the next 2 or so years.

on another note, Yankees useful players for absolutely nothing this deadline. Stunning that they gave up a handful of so-so guys for Berkman, Kearns, and Wood...and they didn't even have to take on much salary!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
A beer at Fenway: $7.75
Two small pieces of chicken and a handful of fries: $8.25
A hat: $25
A shirt: $40
Watching Clay Bucholz throw 8 innings of 2 hit ball: $50/ticket
Watching Papelbon blow the game and then watching Scutaro save it at the last minute: priceless.

There are some things money can't buy, and for damn good reason.

A beer at Fenway: $7.75
Two small pieces of chicken and a handful of fries: $8.25
A hat: $25
A shirt: $40
Watching Clay Bucholz throw 8 innings of 2 hit ball: $50/ticket
Watching Papelbon blow the game and then watching Scutaro save it at the last minute: priceless.

There are some things money can't buy, and for damn good reason.
3rd place finish in the division, no playoffs: 161 Million in payroll, good for 2nd in the MLB

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
3rd place finish in the division, no playoffs: 161 Million in payroll, good for 2nd in the MLB
At one point could have fielded an entire team with the disabled list, with players at every position injured. But hey, Theo didn't have a fire sale so we're good for '11.

HeroMasaki, "no playoffs" is not THEIR fault. They will be a top 8 team in the MLB, they should make the playoffs, every sport is stupid on this subject. The Devil Rays are on a 19-6 run wherein three of the losses are to the Yankees (3-3). It is not the Red Sox the Devil Rays pulled off such a dominant run, or that MLB rules are so dumb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)