Metagross Team (20 - 3 so far)

Okay, so recently I got a shiny Metagross, and since Metagross is easily my favourite pokemon AND shiny, I decided to make a team around it. Here's the team.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Metagross is usually my lead, and with an absurd base 135 attack and 130 def, coupled with an okay 80 base HP, this thing is a beast. I used to run Iron Plate, but I think Leftovers keeps me alive better. Here are some smogon calculations:
252+ Atk Iron Plate Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 368-434 (107.6 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Iron Plate Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 164-194 (47.9 - 56.7%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Plate Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 240-283 (79.4 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I'm not actually sure why Metagross fell out of popularity, it's excellent. Metagross can also learn stealth rock, which is essential for team support. If you're still not convinced about Metagross, here's a replay from the planning and testing phase of the team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133191742

Togekiss @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 atk
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere

Togekiss takes the role of my seconary sweeper, and has great synergy with Metagross, absorbing Knock Offs and Earthquakes with ease. Roost is extremely helpful, healing me and removing my flying type, which can be good or bad. Dazzling Gleam and Air Slash form the STAB core (OP 60% flinch chance), and Aura Sphere gives nice coverage, And the ability to kill Bisharp on the switch

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
Chansey is my healer and special wall, and boy is she great at her job. With an absurd base 250 HP, Chansey can heal basically any of my pokes up to full with just 1 wish, even with no HP EVs. Toxic is great to break opposing walls, and a secondary Stealth Rock over Protect because I don't really need protect. Seismic toss keeps me from being taunt bait.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
Disable Gengar is so much fun. So. Much. Fun. Sludge for healing, Substitute goes first, then disable their super effective move. Shadow Ball then takes them out. Sludge Bomb is in this set to take out faires, who otherwise I might have trouble with.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-wash is a defensive pivot. I put EVs in Special Defence, but gave it Will-o-wisp to deal with physical attackers in a pinch. Hydro pump is an amazing move, with high enough base power to cause serious damage, but good accuracy so I don't have to worry about missing too much. Hidden Power Ice is really handy for all around coverage.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

THe last part of my team, Mega Venusaur. This is my personal favourite Mega Evolution, and one of the best subseeders in ou right now. Hidden Power Fire helps me kill bulky steel types. Giga Drain is a great move, with decent pp once I've pp up'd it to full. I'm not sure about the wall-is evs, and I'm kinda wishing I'd trained for different ones, with more SAtk, but I'm too lazy to breed for another.

Let me know what you think of the team!​

Last edited:
Well first things first, your team has a crippling weakness to Bisharp, and Bisharp pretty much cripples or outright demolishes most of your team with a combination of iron head, sucker punch and knock off.

I recommend you use Hammer Arm over stealth rock on Metagross to hopefully catch it on the switch before it gets to sucker punch since you already have stealth rock on chansey.

Or you could swap out Togekiss for a physically defensive Zapdos to serve as a more reliable check to Bisharp. The set could look something like this:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 64 SpA / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

EVs let you outspeed Bisharp as well as Aegislash that try to speed creep Bisharp while the SpA is for OHKO-ing M-Pinsir if it ever becomes a problem, although Rotom-W checks it pretty well.

Rather than run both STABs on Togekiss it maybe more beneficial to drop one and run Aura Sphere over it, and then Flamethrower over Ancient Power

Rotom is Serious nature. I presume you meant Calm?

Zapdos is actually beneficial so you can clear rocks away and you are safe to switch in and out your walls/Volt Switchers.

Have you considered Assault Vest on Metagross? He can tank hits easier, and makes you team VERY bulky, especially since you have a wish user. Very solid overall.

I'm really interested in this team. How do you feel about the current EV spread on gengar? Do you prefer the 252 HP over 252 SP att?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)