Project Metagame Workshop

Teratype
Premise:
The first Pokémon in your team is automatically Terastallised. You can have any Tera type of your choice except one of its base types. The remaining members of your team need to share a type with that Tera type.
Potential bans:
Default Monotype bans except Terastal Clause.
Question:
Does allowing one off-type Pokémon make this sufficiently different from regular Monotype?
It feels like Monotype but a lot easier. A key aspect of monotype is to build a team that can fare well against its weaknesses. Having one pokemon that can be anything gives huge advantages against types you suffer against. Sure, it is the same type as the rest of your team, but it could counter your team’s weaknesses.

The one-off pokemon would have to be fast and hit hard, otherwise it will just die to your team’s weaknesses. I also feel like this pokemon shouldn’t gain the new STAB because right now, terastalization is very overpowered.

I enjoy monotype a lot, so this is kinda cool for me and other monotype players.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Teratype
Premise:
The first Pokémon in your team is automatically Terastallised. You can have any Tera type of your choice except one of its base types. The remaining members of your team need to share a type with that Tera type.
Potential bans:
Question:
Does allowing one off-type Pokémon make this sufficiently different from regular Monotype?
It seems fine, not too sold into the idea, but is not bad. I doubt you should default to Monotype bans as the team structures are less limited as you can bring one Pokémon from any of the other types even if it is going to be forced into Tera. Maybe it would be better that instead of automatically Teralizing it, that first mon is your designated Tera user, so you can choose when to Tera it, the opponent will already know what Tera type it has just by looking at the rest of the team.
But that depends on how you see Tera, as I guess this change could be seen as less balanced.

:dratini: :dragonair: :dragonite: 600Mons :dragonite: :dragonair::dratini:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is an idea that I've had in mind for a pretty long time now and have never really had a chance to share it, so let me preface this by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum!

Premise: The idea behind this metagame is pretty simple: every single Pokemon has their base stat total fixed to 600. For example, a Pokemon like Yungoos or Nymble with a very low BSTs will see their stats almost triple whereas Pokemon like Zacian-C and Calyrex-S will suffer considerable losses.

How stats are calculated: Pokemon's base stat are calculated by use of the formula 600/BST * Stat = New Stat. The way this formula works is that, by using the ratio of 600 to a Pokemon's BST, I can obtain a good idea of how their stats would look if they had a high BST.

In practice, I would take a Pokemon - let's use Ralts as an example - and divide 600 by its BST of 198 to get a value of 3.03. Once I have that value, I would then multiply it by any one of Ralts' stat - I'll use it's Special Attack - to determine what said stat would be if scaled up to a BST of 600. For Ralts, I would multiply my ratio value of 3.03 by its Special attack of 45 to get a new stat of 136.36, which rounds down to 136. When applying this formula to all of Ralts' stat, we're left with a rather impressive spread of 85/76/76/136/106/121.

Initial banlist: All Smogon-wide clauses (Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, Moody Clause, etc.) apply here, in addition to bans of Eviolite and Baton Pass.

Eviolite is inherently broken in this metagame because it now allows for Pokemon with Legendary stats to abuse an item balanced around weaker Pokemon being able to use it. Think of it like Garchomp or Dragonite with an Eviolite. Overall, I think it would be oppressive on the metagame and, unless I'm totally wrong and am looking at this the wrong way, provides next to nothing positive for the metagame.

Baton Pass have proven itself in every one of its iterations through the years to be uncompetitive, uninteractive, skill-less garbage that should never be present in a modern OU tier. I don't think I need to explain myself that much when I don't think any of us here are willing to go through weeks of debate to finally determine that Baton Pass is stupid.

In addition to this, Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, and Shedinja should also be banned at the start of this meta. These two abilities have proven time and time again that they are wholly uncompetitive and a scourge on almost every metagame they meet. I think that it would save a lot of time otherwise wasted by pointless discussions as to whether or not these abilities are a problem or not, so I'll take the liberty of proclaiming that they should be banned right off the bat.

Shedinja is a case where insofar as Tera is in the tier, there is no way in hell it would ever be balanced. The same Tera Electric sets it pulled of in NatDex combined with actual stats to work with would undoubtedly be uncompetitive, especially so since it would likely not be OHKO'd by even slight passive damage, anymore with it's HP buffed. Not to mention that its attack would reach a staggering base 228 after scaling, so yeah - if Tera goes, it's free to roam, but if not, it's never seeing the light of day.

Initial Threatlist
:lokix: :azumarill: :gumshoos: :medicham: Pokemon with stupid, dumb, and broken abilties like Huge Power, Stakeout, Tinted Lens and Adaptability among others are often found on Pokemon with really, really bad stats. Like horrendous Route-1-level stats. Given the huge buffs all of these Pokemon's stats would receive in this metagame, this delicate balance is completely and utterly destroyed. There are definitely more low BST Pokemon with crazy abilities that I'm ignoring, but these five in particular caught my attention the most.

:breloom: :amoonguss: :torkoal: :maushold: Pokemon with low BSTs who have already found significant upper-tier success should undeniably be considered in this metagame, with their pre-existing toolkits being bolstered by supercharged stats on par with those of Legendaries. Sure, all of these Pokemon do different things - Breloom breaks and sweeps with high attack, SD and priority; Amoongus spreads Sleep and holds off common threats reliably, Torkoal facilitates a laundry list of offensive brutes while also providing valuable team support for offense, and Maushold clicks Population Bomb - but all of these Pokemon are able to function with pretty damn bad BSTs for OU standards. Pumping up their stats could potentially turn them into metagame staples if everything goes their way.

:cyclizar: :orthworm: Both Shed Tail abusers take great advantage of scaling to bolster their already-solid stats every more and provide indomitable support for all the terrifying offensive threats created by this metagame. With the sheer of offensive potential in this tier, Shed Tail support will be beyond crucial for many of the slammers early meta would bring with it. Cyclizar's speed and Orthworm's bulk are now topped with exclamation points that allow them to fulfil their sub-passing role even better.

:mimikyu: :eiscue: By virtue of the ubiquity of Shed Tail on offense, getting two subs free of charge is one of the best gifts a Pokémon can receive in this environment. Both Mimikyu and Eiscue have middling BSTs, meaning that their stats would be graciously boosted through scaling with may serve the push them over the edge. Being able to grab game-ending boosts on beefed-up stats behind effectively two subsitutes will inevibtale be a recipe for disaster.

:Rabsca: :Pawmot: What evens attempts to hold Revival Blessing back in standard play is that fact that, on their own, Pawmot and Rabsca are just not OU material. Pawmot is only so strong and Rabsca is only so reliable, though the mere ability to drag two teammates at a time from the dead can subject teams to repeated bludgeoning that they're not built to survive.

:Houndstone: Last Respects. Not much more to say here. Doggo here gets a good deal out of scaling and Tyranitar getting mothing means that it probably dies even quicker now, allowing our boi to get right to work.

Question: Should this metagame have an NFE clause? I feel like having up to two or three of the same Pokemon - especially offensive 'Mons - of this power level could spin out of control really fast, but what do you think?

Well, that's all I got for you all. Thank you all for reading!

How do the real time tera raid battles work? I wonder if there's a way to adapt it into PvP on Showdown, presumably "pausing" the real time whenever a player can make an action.

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

This is an idea that I've had in mind for a pretty long time now and have never really had a chance to share it, so let me preface this by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum!

Premise: The idea behind this metagame is pretty simple: every single Pokemon has their base stat total fixed to 600. For example, a Pokemon like Yungoos or Nymble with a very low BSTs will see their stats almost triple whereas Pokemon like Zacian-C and Calyrex-S will suffer considerable losses.

How stats are calculated: Pokemon's base stat are calculated by use of the formula 600/BST * Stat = New Stat. The way this formula works is that, by using the ratio of 600 to a Pokemon's BST, I can obtain a good idea of how their stats would look if they had a high BST.

In practice, I would take a Pokemon - let's use Ralts as an example - and divide 600 by its BST of 198 to get a value of 3.03. Once I have that value, I would then multiply it by any one of Ralts' stat - I'll use it's Special Attack - to determine what said stat would be if scaled up to a BST of 600. For Ralts, I would multiply my ratio value of 3.03 by its Special attack of 45 to get a new stat of 136.36, which rounds down to 136. When applying this formula to all of Ralts' stat, we're left with a rather impressive spread of 85/76/76/136/106/121.

Initial banlist: All Smogon-wide clauses (Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, Moody Clause, etc.) apply here, in addition to bans of Eviolite and Baton Pass.

Eviolite is inherently broken in this metagame because it now allows for Pokemon with Legendary stats to abuse an item balanced around weaker Pokemon being able to use it. Think of it like Garchomp or Dragonite with an Eviolite. Overall, I think it would be oppressive on the metagame and, unless I'm totally wrong and am looking at this the wrong way, provides next to nothing positive for the metagame.

Baton Pass have proven itself in every one of its iterations through the years to be uncompetitive, uninteractive, skill-less garbage that should never be present in a modern OU tier. I don't think I need to explain myself that much when I don't think any of us here are willing to go through weeks of debate to finally determine that Baton Pass is stupid.

In addition to this, Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, and Shedinja should also be banned at the start of this meta. These two abilities have proven time and time again that they are wholly uncompetitive and a scourge on almost every metagame they meet. I think that it would save a lot of time otherwise wasted by pointless discussions as to whether or not these abilities are a problem or not, so I'll take the liberty of proclaiming that they should be banned right off the bat.

Shedinja is a case where insofar as Tera is in the tier, there is no way in hell it would ever be balanced. The same Tera Electric sets it pulled of in NatDex combined with actual stats to work with would undoubtedly be uncompetitive, especially so since it would likely not be OHKO'd by even slight passive damage, anymore with it's HP buffed. Not to mention that its attack would reach a staggering base 228 after scaling, so yeah - if Tera goes, it's free to roam, but if not, it's never seeing the light of day.

Initial Threatlist
:lokix: :azumarill: :gumshoos: :medicham: Pokemon with stupid, dumb, and broken abilties like Huge Power, Stakeout, Tinted Lens and Adaptability among others are often found on Pokemon with really, really bad stats. Like horrendous Route-1-level stats. Given the huge buffs all of these Pokemon's stats would receive in this metagame, this delicate balance is completely and utterly destroyed. There are definitely more low BST Pokemon with crazy abilities that I'm ignoring, but these five in particular caught my attention the most.

:breloom: :amoonguss: :torkoal: :maushold: Pokemon with low BSTs who have already found significant upper-tier success should undeniably be considered in this metagame, with their pre-existing toolkits being bolstered by supercharged stats on par with those of Legendaries. Sure, all of these Pokemon do different things - Breloom breaks and sweeps with high attack, SD and priority; Amoongus spreads Sleep and holds off common threats reliably, Torkoal facilitates a laundry list of offensive brutes while also providing valuable team support for offense, and Maushold clicks Population Bomb - but all of these Pokemon are able to function with pretty damn bad BSTs for OU standards. Pumping up their stats could potentially turn them into metagame staples if everything goes their way.

:cyclizar: :orthworm: Both Shed Tail abusers take great advantage of scaling to bolster their already-solid stats every more and provide indomitable support for all the terrifying offensive threats created by this metagame. With the sheer of offensive potential in this tier, Shed Tail support will be beyond crucial for many of the slammers early meta would bring with it. Cyclizar's speed and Orthworm's bulk are now topped with exclamation points that allow them to fulfil their sub-passing role even better.

:mimikyu: :eiscue: By virtue of the ubiquity of Shed Tail on offense, getting two subs free of charge is one of the best gifts a Pokémon can receive in this environment. Both Mimikyu and Eiscue have middling BSTs, meaning that their stats would be graciously boosted through scaling with may serve the push them over the edge. Being able to grab game-ending boosts on beefed-up stats behind effectively two subsitutes will inevibtale be a recipe for disaster.

:Rabsca: :Pawmot: What evens attempts to hold Revival Blessing back in standard play is that fact that, on their own, Pawmot and Rabsca are just not OU material. Pawmot is only so strong and Rabsca is only so reliable, though the mere ability to drag two teammates at a time from the dead can subject teams to repeated bludgeoning that they're not built to survive.

:Houndstone: Last Respects. Not much more to say here. Doggo here gets a good deal out of scaling and Tyranitar getting mothing means that it probably dies even quicker now, allowing our boi to get right to work.

Question: Should this metagame have an NFE clause? I feel like having up to two or three of the same Pokemon - especially offensive 'Mons - of this power level could spin out of control really fast, but what do you think?

You really put a lot of effort on this, but this is a meta that already exists.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scalemons.3658482/
Gen 9 Scalemons hasn't been approved yet tho, don't know what's the situation there.
How do the real time tera raid battles work? I wonder if there's a way to adapt it into PvP on Showdown, presumably "pausing" the real time whenever a player can make an action.
I don't think it can work, the format doesn't really translate into PvP, at best you could decide the winner based on damage dealt or something, and there is also the problem of choosing the raid boss for each battle as having a fixed boss with a fixed Tera defeats the whole concept and makes the meta too repetitive, and if it is random then is just too luck based.
Having a player be the raid boss is also an option, but the game being pretty much a different one for each player is not something OM do.

Reactions: UT
You really put a lot of effort on this, but this is a meta that already exists.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scalemons.3658482/
Gen 9 Scalemons hasn't been approved yet tho, don't know what's the situation there.

I don't think it can work, the format doesn't really translate into PvP, at best you could decide the winner based on damage dealt or something, and there is also the problem of choosing the raid boss for each battle as having a fixed boss with a fixed Tera defeats the whole concept and makes the meta too repetitive, and if it is random then is just too luck based.
Having a player be the raid boss is also an option, but the game being pretty much a different one for each player is not something OM do.
Oh, I didn't mean there would be a raid boss. It's just one player vs one player like in normal play, but the turns and field effect durations and stuff is determined however they work in raid battles.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Oh, I didn't mean there would be a raid boss. It's just one player vs one player like in normal play, but the turns and field effect durations and stuff is determined however they work in raid battles.
Well, that's still kind of complex, to not make it 1v1 but with Tera while also excluding all the "boss only" functions then... It is just 1v1 with Tera, but you may lose a turn for clicking too late, I guess.
There is also the player commands like +1 Atk/SpA, +1 Def/SpD and Heal, and to balance Tera you could follow how they work in raids and have it disabled until you attacked x amounts of time. Also, real time in showdown just sounds like a programming nightmare.
I think you could try to make it work, but I doubt it would be approved if it is just 1v1 but with very situational mechanics.

Maybe it would be better that instead of automatically Teralizing it, that first mon is your designated Tera user, so you can choose when to Tera it, the opponent will already know what Tera type it has just by looking at the rest of the team.
Well, the idea was that it works like Gym Leader battles, so you have to Terastallise it, even though it makes no sense (well, Tera Electric Mismagius was reasonable, and Tera Normal Staraptor does get that juicy ×2 STAB).

Ive submitted this in the gen 8 workshop. The basic idea is that it is similar to Linkmons, but instead of abilities it's items. Standard OU clauses apply plus only 1 item per mon, like VGC(to prevent choice band/specs/scarf stacking) Also only 1 choice item is allowed per team(i dont want gen 9 but evreything has gorilla tactics) All item removal methods randomly remove 1 item from the pool that you have. Item recovery moves recover 1 tiem that was used. 1 shot items(all berries, weakness policy) will stay 1 shot, once they're used, they're gone forever, until recovered. A potential quickban for this meta would be Focus Sash, for pretty obvious reasons. Combine this with Heavy Duty Boots and there is almost no counterplay. Any mon with Recycle would be very valuable in the meta(eg Appletun, Bronzong, Electrode)

Also petition to call Heavy Duty Boots Heavy Doots
I might make a sample team to see what I would do(most likely not the best strat)
EDIT: Paradox gangs with 1 mon having Booster energy would be insane, so potential quickban there.
Trick/Pickpocket would randomly swap 1 item for the item the mon is holding.
How the hell would Sunny Rock/Icy Rock + Terrain Extender work? Maybe 11 turns from the original 5 turns? Sun teams rejoice!
Pokemon specific items only work for the mon that is capable of using it. eg: Pikachu with Light Orb is the only beneficiary of Light Orb.
Metronome would be great in this meta since all mons benefit from it. Especially Choice Metrenome sets would output so much damage it wouldnt be funny. Potential quickban. Skeledirge Specs Metronome would be op as heck. Melt anything that isnt named Blissey or has Flash Fire
Trick Room teams rejoice for Room Service applies to all of your mons.
Stacking 1.2x type items might be a gimmick, but when it works it freaking works.

Last edited:
Ive submitted this in the gen 8 workshop. The basic idea is that it is similar to Linkmons, but instead of abilities it's items. Standard OU clauses apply plus only 1 item per mon, like VGC(to prevent choice band/specs/scarf stacking) Also only 1 choice item is allowed per team(i dont want gen 9 but evreything has gorilla tactics) All item removal methods randomly remove 1 item from the pool that you have. Item recovery moves recover 1 tiem that was used. 1 shot items(all berries, weakness policy) will stay 1 shot, once they're used, they're gone forever, until recovered. A potential quickban for this meta would be Focus Sash, for pretty obvious reasons. Combine this with Heavy Duty Boots and there is almost no counterplay. Any mon with Recycle would be very valuable in the meta(eg Appletun, Bronzong, Electrode)

Also petition to call Heavy Duty Boots Heavy Doots
I might make a sample team to see what I would do(most likely not the best strat)
This is just more complicated Dual Wielding. This was a Gen 7 meta so maybe you could submit it again for Gen 9.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
All right I've been bad again so lump of responses!
I started a response like a week ago but it disappeared >:(
Titanmons
Premise:
One overleveled pokemon fights a team of six pokemon.
Potential bans:
Endeavor
Recover, Milk Drink, Rest, etc
Questions:
Should each side have its own banlist?
This is odd. How do you determine which side gets the overleveled Pokemon? How do we determine how overleveled is balanced? I don't like that the teams aren't on equal footing, as that makes this nearly impossible to make even. Unless each team gets one 'titan' and 5-6 lower leveled mons I cannot see this passing muster.

Metagame premise: A Doubles Metagame where you can bring an LC Pokemon to be "eaten" by its partner on the field.

Example:
Let's say you have these 2 Pokemon on the field.
:ss/Gengar: :ss/Gastly:
Gastly will disappear inside Gengar similar to how the new Tasugiri will hide inside the new Dondozo. However, because that would be absurdly busted otherwise, Gengar will receive a buff with +2 SpA and +2 Spe as those are Gastly's 2 highest non-HP stats

:ss/Gengar: :ss/happiny:
However, if Gengar's partner is instead Happiny, Genger will instead receive +2 SpD and +2 Spe as those are Happiny's 2 highest non-HP stats.

:ss/Gengar: :ss/Combee: :ss/Croagunk:
If an LCmon's second highest non-HP stat, such as Combee's Def and SpD, it will choose based on how abilities like Beast Boost and new Paradox Pokemon abilities work. Additionally, if the partner Pokemon is like Croagunk who has its Atk and SpA as its highest stat, the buff will be +2 Atk and +2 SpA only.

Also to mention, the mechanic will work like how Commander does in game for Dondozo and Tatsugiri, where you won't be able to switch out until either Pokemon is fainted, so keep that in mind.

Lastly, unlike regular Commander, this version of the metagame will force the "Tatsugiri" to switch out once the "Dondozo" is KO'd, so that each Pokemon you send out doesn't constantly eat your LCmon.

Potential bans and threats:

So currently there are some people using the strategy of intentionally KOing Tatsugiri with things like Toxic Orb so that you can send something else out, which is definitely not ideal since the idea is to have a Pokemon who gets a massive buff but doesn't have a partner to back them up. This normally won't happen unless you are using these items.

:croagunk: :sunkern:
Yes you heard that right, Sunkern has the potential to be ban worthy, but for similar reason to Croagunk and instead lies in their abilities. Croagunk gets Dry Skin and Sunkern gets Solar Power. The abilities themselves likely will be banned or restricted for the same reasons as above.

:Growlithe: :flabebe: :happiny: :hatenna: :shellos: :snover: :hippopotas:
Abilities that activate on switching in such as Intimidate and Weather Abilities, or abilities that have passive effects for your partner like Aroma Veil or Flower Veil will definitely let certain Pokemon stand out as they aren't just giving a stat buff to a Pokemon. These could also potentially be ban worthy, but we'll have to see.

Flamigo has access to the ability Costar, which can potentially break the meta like how it does in Doubles. If you manage to KO your LCmon on the field, you would then just be able to have Flamigo copy the stat changes. This would be harder to do, but still feasible and would give you 2 incredibly threatening Pokemon on the field.

Questions for the community:
-So buffing a Pokemon similar to how Commander would work but for any Pokemon would be insanely busted. +2 omni boost on say Dragapult would be broken even if you only have 1 effective Pokemon on the field. However, I'm wondering if +2 in 2 stats would be a bit underwhelming since it's a 1v2 and would like to know how the LCmons should buff the fully evolved Pokemon. Alternatives like +1 to 3 stats or +2 to 2 stats and using LCmons ability on top of your own.
-Should there be different limit to how the Commander mechanic works in this meta? Like you could have the "Dondozo" Pokemon be only the first Pokemon in your party. Maybe have a restriction on how many LC Pokemon you can have?
I know very little about doubles metagames, but this seems fun. I don't think there should be a restriction to how many LC mons you can have, as they come at a pretty steep cost of a party slot already. What seems difficult and subjective about this meta is figuring out what the boost should be. I would say a hard no to the ability aspect you suggested. Keep it to one rule.

I like the idea and wish I could be more helpful in ironing it out.

Tier nerf
Kinda of a fusion between gg and ts but instead of gaining stats you lose them. So ubers lose 50 in each stat ou/uubl 40 uu/rubl 30 ect and then you can use a pu mon as a "god" as the slot it is in determines which stat it will give the entire team. Instead of giving the team different stats it will give one stat to the whole team.
You would definitely want to keep it to one rule as Kaen said, in which case... it's Tier Shift, which it's too early in the gen to be thinking about, but worse. Or Godly Gift but worse. You also should check out the requirements for submitting metagames, as you do not currently fulfill them.

Back Review
I have no name idea in fact.
Metagame Premise: So it's a tier where all stats are the difference between the first stage and the last.
Exemple:
:Crobat: 85/90/80/70/80/130
:zubat: 40/45/35/30/40/55
So Crobat stats would be 45/45/45/40/40/75.

All non-evolving Pokemon because would disable the flavor of the meta.
Eviolite may be broken due to the low average stats.
All Reevo bans due to same reasons.
Basically same threats than Reevo, Frosmoth especially. Pseudo legendary may not be that broken.
Pure Power and Huge Power. 30 Atk is huge in this meta and Huge Power make it uncheckable.

Questions:
Do you have any Broken ideas?
Do this need some adjustements?

It's inspired by Reevolution but:
1. 3 stages evolutions are buffed
2. High BST aren't particularly strong
  • My formula is not complex: OM concepts that use formulas to calculate Pokemon stats. We have a lot of these already.
This is my primary issue. It's similar to Re-Evolution and others, and wouldn't get the playerbase that comes from the people who like to see big numbers (sorry y'all but...). I suppose if you could show me how it's going to be significantly different from Scalemons, Tier Shift, and Re-Evolution in how it plays I would consider it, but as it stands it just looks too similar.

Also as KaenSoul said, a lot of mons (Scizor for example) get negatives. TF do we do with that? Or 0. You'd have to ban a lot to make this metagame even playable. Not that that's an automatic DQ but here you're removing a lot of options.

This is kinda goofy metagame idea, but it seemed cool so imma post it anyway.

Equilibrium
Premise of the Metagame: Equilibrium is a singles metagame, but at the end of every turn, like at the very, very end, the percentage HP of the pokemon becomes averages out. Status conditions act like synchronize, including freeze.

Potential Bans
I honestly have no idea what would be good and what wouldn't which probably means i haven't put much thought into my idea. This would likely be an OU based metagame, with bans centralized around OU. OHKO moves might might might be balanced because there is really no way of dealing reliable damage. Focus Sash might need a ban because you probably recover way more than 1 HP at the end of the turn and you can probably get away with some shenanigans.

Strategy:
Securing the OHKO is huge in this metagame, so hazards will be a huge help. Hazards being prevalent means stuff like defog and other hazard removing moves will also be prevalent.

Stall is a tricky one and it'll be a huge tossup between it and offensive. The endless tugging between HP means that neither can really get any progress made. Stall is able to eat up the strong attacks that offensive pokemon throw and equalize the HP, giving it extra recovery. Stall can't hit too hard, which means that the little damage offensive pokemon take will be recovered back. Stall might have the upper hand here.

Questions for the Community
Are there any pokemon, abilities, moves, or items that come to mind that should be banned?

Should the HP be equalized rather than the percentages?

One more thing...

I realized that this and Tier Shift have the same abbreviations (TS). I need a better name lol.
Free Shedinja
Magnemite for viable.
Pex for S++++ tier

OK seriously; this sounds like hell to play. It's a creative idea and one that's actually based on game mechanics, which I seriously appreciate. But I see only a few ways that building would be different from OU (more attempts at OHKOs and thus more setup, more low HP mons, more Toxic, and wayyyy more Pex). And actually playing it would grate on my nerves like a poorly aligned and rusty door hinge. Making progress makes progress for your opponent too, meaning you have to be smart about HP, and... you know what actually this sounds like a genuinely competitive metagame with opportunities for high quality battles, even if it would massacre my blood pressure.

You know what, feel free to submit it.

As for your questions...
I would keep the mechanics identical to Pain Split. It's the most objective and easiest to explain, and adds some deeper levels to teambuilding.
Anything that should be banned? Shedinja! Oh wait that's illegal... OK nvm nothing to see here carry on. We have nothing to fear but FEAR itself.

Please lose the Synchronize part though. That would be an instant DQ. One meta, one mechanic.

discussion earlier on 24-move meta got me thinking about a variant: a meta where your team gets 24 moves total and you can distribute them between your pokemon however you please. you could just run four moves per mon like usual, or you could have six moves on one of your mons at the cost of one of your others having only two. is it worth running a mon with only one move (a choiced pokemon with a powerful spammable stab?) to spread its extra moveslots to your other guys? if you really wanted to, you could have 19 moves on one guy and just one on the rest lol
I don't think this would be very fun tbh. Almost nothing can effectively go beneath 3 moves, and few really wants more than 5, almost nothing more than 6. It would inevitably end up being very similar to OU, with a couple sweepers with 4MSS being better and a couple one move spammers being slapped on too many teams. And then low ladder people like drampa's grandpa with 19 moves because they're insane but we ignore them.

Teratype
Premise:
Potential bans:
Question:
I'm not quite sure whether this would be too similar to Monotype or not. Monotype is extremely defined by the stable of Pokemon available to each type, so allowing one that isn't in that type is actually a bigger change than it might appear at first. But it's still very similar in that every team is 5/6 Monotype rules. I would say it's probably too similar.

Initial Threatlist

As has been said, this is Scalemons. Scalemons is cool. I hope you check it out when it drops this generation :)

_____

Sorry if anyone gets pinged for something they're no longer looking at, I've been putting this off and somehow the longer you put it off the more you have to respond to :psynervous:

Free Shedinja
Magnemite for viable.
Pex for S++++ tier

OK seriously; this sounds like hell to play. It's a creative idea and one that's actually based on game mechanics, which I seriously appreciate. But I see only a few ways that building would be different from OU (more attempts at OHKOs and thus more setup, more low HP mons, more Toxic, and wayyyy more Pex). And actually playing it would grate on my nerves like a poorly aligned and rusty door hinge. Making progress makes progress for your opponent too, meaning you have to be smart about HP, and... you know what actually this sounds like a genuinely competitive metagame with opportunities for high quality battles, even if it would massacre my blood pressure.

You know what, feel free to submit it.

As for your questions...
I would keep the mechanics identical to Pain Split. It's the most objective and easiest to explain, and adds some deeper levels to teambuilding.
Anything that should be banned? Shedinja! Oh wait that's illegal... OK nvm nothing to see here carry on. We have nothing to fear but FEAR itself.

Please lose the Synchronize part though. That would be an instant DQ. One meta, one mechanic.
I was not expecting this idea to be as annoying as you make it sound but yes it is annoying. I'm all for an annoying OM. I need to think about it more because I didn't put much effort (I didn't really even look at threats and stuff), but you made me come back to this.

Expect to see this OM in the submissions after whatever happens with my last one :o

If you think setup sweepers will be good, meet the unaware trio :D :dondozo: :clodsire: :skeledirge: They are here to ruin your day :D

You actually heal from toxic now so thats amazing.

:toxapex: supremacy

Focus Sash is probably gonna get banned cause its free 50% off of the opponent. You could set up on the turn opponent procs Focus Sash and then as long as you secure the other 50%, then you win. Fast and frail pokemon with one good attack stat it can boost = free dubs. :chien-pao: with Swords Dance lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if these games last over 100 turns, which isn't very appealing. i hear the cheering of stall players in the background
Sorry if anyone gets pinged for something they're no longer looking at, I've been putting this off and somehow the longer you put it off the more you have to respond to :psynervous:
yes that's how procrastinating works

Metagame premise: A Doubles Metagame where you can bring an LC Pokemon to be "eaten" by its partner on the field.

Example:
Let's say you have these 2 Pokemon on the field.
:ss/Gengar: :ss/Gastly:
Gastly will disappear inside Gengar similar to how the new Tasugiri will hide inside the new Dondozo. However, because that would be absurdly busted otherwise, Gengar will receive a buff with +2 SpA and +2 Spe as those are Gastly's 2 highest non-HP stats

:ss/Gengar: :ss/happiny:
However, if Gengar's partner is instead Happiny, Genger will instead receive +2 SpD and +2 Spe as those are Happiny's 2 highest non-HP stats.

:ss/Gengar: :ss/Combee: :ss/Croagunk:
If an LCmon's second highest non-HP stat, such as Combee's Def and SpD, it will choose based on how abilities like Beast Boost and new Paradox Pokemon abilities work. Additionally, if the partner Pokemon is like Croagunk who has its Atk and SpA as its highest stat, the buff will be +2 Atk and +2 SpA only.

Also to mention, the mechanic will work like how Commander does in game for Dondozo and Tatsugiri, where you won't be able to switch out until either Pokemon is fainted, so keep that in mind.

Lastly, unlike regular Commander, this version of the metagame will force the "Tatsugiri" to switch out once the "Dondozo" is KO'd, so that each Pokemon you send out doesn't constantly eat your LCmon.

So currently there are some people using the strategy of intentionally KOing Tatsugiri with things like Toxic Orb so that you can send something else out, which is definitely not ideal since the idea is to have a Pokemon who gets a massive buff but doesn't have a partner to back them up. This normally won't happen unless you are using these items.

:croagunk: :sunkern:
Yes you heard that right, Sunkern has the potential to be ban worthy, but for similar reason to Croagunk and instead lies in their abilities. Croagunk gets Dry Skin and Sunkern gets Solar Power. The abilities themselves likely will be banned or restricted for the same reasons as above.

:Growlithe: :flabebe: :happiny: :hatenna: :shellos: :snover: :hippopotas:
Abilities that activate on switching in such as Intimidate and Weather Abilities, or abilities that have passive effects for your partner like Aroma Veil or Flower Veil will definitely let certain Pokemon stand out as they aren't just giving a stat buff to a Pokemon. These could also potentially be ban worthy, but we'll have to see.

Flamigo has access to the ability Costar, which can potentially break the meta like how it does in Doubles. If you manage to KO your LCmon on the field, you would then just be able to have Flamigo copy the stat changes. This would be harder to do, but still feasible and would give you 2 incredibly threatening Pokemon on the field.

-So buffing a Pokemon similar to how Commander would work but for any Pokemon would be insanely busted. +2 omni boost on say Dragapult would be broken even if you only have 1 effective Pokemon on the field. However, I'm wondering if +2 in 2 stats would be a bit underwhelming since it's a 1v2 and would like to know how the LCmons should buff the fully evolved Pokemon. Alternatives like +1 to 3 stats or +2 to 2 stats and using LCmons ability on top of your own.
-Should there be different limit to how the Commander mechanic works in this meta? Like you could have the "Dondozo" Pokemon be only the first Pokemon in your party. Maybe have a restriction on how many LC Pokemon you can have?
I feel like it would be better if it had more restrictions in place, especially considering Tatsugiri was recently banned in Doubles OU. Only allowing one Pokemon to be the commander should be a start. Another proposal I have is to boost +1 on 2 stats instead since even at +1 is strong enough and make them be able to forced out by Whirlwind or Dragon Tail.

Tool Swap (WIP)
Metagame premise: You can take any ability you want, as long a Pokémon with this ability has your movepool! The purpose is to make something similar to AAA, but with more links between mons. Also to see funny relations between movepools.
Functionement:
Alohomora (Scream Tail) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Wish
- Protect
- Light Screen
So, all of Scream Tail’s moves are also obtainable on other Pokémon, in this case the one we are interested in is Alomomola. Scream Tail is allowed to take Alomomolas Abilities. It could also take Pixilated, Static, Cute Charm, Competitive, Hydration, Healer and Lighting Rod. Meta would be a lot based on scouting I guess, with a lot of Stall as all stalkers are the same. On the other hand, Mold Breaker could be the path to freedom.

Potential bans and threats: Broken AAA stuff.
Huge/Pure Power are obviously broken, especially Pure Power since its movepool is wide enough. Iron Hands especially can run a classic set.
Iron Hands @ Punching Glove
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Close Combat

Poison Heal may be OP, but I doubt it, maybe some would like to run ToxicSubSeed.

Stakeout’s without a doubt broken, Roaring Moon can run a Band set with a normal movepool.

Comatose is probably fine, as Komala hasn’t Rose.

Other bannable things? Should inheriting from NDex/Unreleased be allowed?

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Tool Swap (WIP)
Metagame premise: You can take any ability you want, as long a Pokémon with this ability has your movepool!
Functionement:
Alohomora (Scream Tail) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Wish
- Protect
- Light Screen
So, all of Scream Tail’s moves are also obtainable on other Pokémon, in this case the one we are interested in is Alomomola. Scream Tail is allowed to take Alomomolas Abilities. It could also take Pixilated, Static, Cute Charm, Competitive, Hydration, Healer and Lighting Rod. Meta would be a lot based on scouting I guess, with a lot of Stall as all stalkers are the same. On the other hand, Mold Breaker could be the path to freedom.

Potential bans and threats: Broken AAA stuff.
Huge/Pure Power are obviously broken, especially Pure Power since its movepool is wide enough. Iron Hands especially can run a classic set.
Iron Hands @ Punching Glove
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Close Combat

Poison Heal may be OP, but I doubt it, maybe some would like to run ToxicSubSeed.

Stakeout’s without a doubt broken, Roaring Moon can run a Band set with a normal movepool.

Comatose is probably fine, as Komala hasn’t Rose.

Other bannable things? Should inheriting from NDex/Unreleased be allowed?
So you get to use a set that would be legal in another Pokémon, so is like Inheritance but with more limited options?
Doesn't really sound that appealing as is just a nerfed version of Inheritance or AAA.
I feel like it would be better if it had more restrictions in place, especially considering Tatsugiri was recently banned in Doubles OU. Only allowing one Pokemon to be the commander should be a start. Another proposal I have is to boost +1 on 2 stats instead since even at +1 is strong enough and make them be able to forced out by Whirlwind or Dragon Tail.
You aren't wrong, but with every mon in the game instead of just Dondozo being able to boost it should be more balanced, in theory.
But it being only +1 does sounds like a good idea.

so one day, i was in om room as usual, talking what omotm would be next and a brilliant idea for an om struck in my head:
'what if tera affected your moves, like revmons?'
so now here i am, bringing you this fun idea for an om: Trevmons! (very original name ik)

-'how would it work tho?'
basically, you set your tera type in teambuilder and the LAST MOVE in your pokemons moveslot is going to be that typing.
lets say i put tera fairy on chi yu and its last move being fire blast. when in battle, chi yu would have a fairy type fire blast!

also small edit here: i think chi yu alongside other pokemon are going to be monstrous in this tier, so yea
i also had the idea of making this a 'pre-gen 4' om style, where your tera type affects the last move if its physical or special. so like tera fire would be physical, tera psychic would be special etc.
-'what about tera fairy? that didnt exist back in gen 3!'
just make it special idk

so, thats it! hopefully this would be submitted as an om or even help me guys out with the name and even fixing it!

Last edited:

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
so one day, i was in om room as usual, talking what omotm would be next and a brilliant idea for an om struck in my head:
so now here i am, bringing you this fun idea for an om: Trevmons! (very original name ik)

basically, you set your tera type in teambuilder and the LAST MOVE in your pokemons moveslot is going to be that typing.
lets say i put tera fairy on chi yu and its last move being fire blast. when in battle, chi yu would have a fairy type fire blast!
I was a part of this conversation and I think that this sounds like a solid OM idea and kinda fun to mess around with retyping moves to give Pokémon coverage OR a better STAB so long as their Tera type matches up with their original typing. Anyways, I promised I would show off some sample sets so here goes nothing...
:chi-yu:
Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
As RNJesus said in the OP, Chi-Yu with a Fairy Tera Type now gets access to a powerful coverage move in Fairy typed Fire Blast. There may be other good Tera types for Chi-Yu to use as well such as Electric or Grass for Water-types but this was the original idea so I figured I would post this one lol.
:dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Extreme Speed
Second thought that came into my head was priority and of course first Pokémon that came to mind was Dragonite. Giving Dragonite a Flying Tera type allows it to have Extreme Speed be a +2 STAB priority move while utilizing its good bulk to set up Dragon Dance and decent coverage it already has access to. This particular set may feel similar to something like Revelationmons BUT the next one is where this OM would shine.
:scizor:
Scizor @ Protective Pads
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Rock / Ground / Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
Now Scizor has access to not only STAB priority in Bullet Punch but Quick Attack, another priority move boosted by Technician. Where this OM shines is now Scizor can use Quick Attack alongside a Tera type like Rock or Ground to nail the Fire-types that easily threaten it. Or if hitting Corviknight and Bulky Water-types is more your thing, you can give Scizor an Electric Tera type and Quick Attack can zap those Pokémon into oblivion.

Overall, this seems like a really fun OM that's unique, but differs itself enough from something like Revelationmons that it could be fun and broken and crazy all at once.

Now for some feedback on the idea!
i also had the idea of making this a 'pre-gen 4' om style, where your tera type affects the last move if its physical or special. so like tera fire would be physical, tera psychic would be special etc.
just make it special idk
This feels unnecessary for this particular OM. Maybe do this as a different OM idea entirely or just scrap this part.
so, thats it! hopefully this would be submitted as an om or even help me guys out with the name and even fixing it!
I think a good name for this could be something like Teraforming as you are forming your moves to be your Tera type. I don't know though.

just make it special idk

I was in this discussion as well lol.

I like the idea as it gives much needed coverage for some pokemon that don't have any. It's like revmons haha but instead of your actual types, its your tera type. Adding the pre gen 4 mechanic also makes this a bit more balanced as you don't have 18 types to guess from now, but I'm not sure how well previous gen mechanics are accepted in OM submissions. (ppl were saying mix and mega barely, barely makes the cut) Also OMs should be tried to be phrased in one concise sentence and adding this pre gen 4 part doesn't do it.

A cool use of this would be to make your last moveslot a priority move or for coverage or to have a chance against types you struggle.

Would pokemon have STAB with this fourth move slot? If so, I would recommend removing the STAB because its basically becomes pokemon, but you have mystery STAB. In bonus type, you are able to see what the type is so it's more balanced. Since it's an invisible tera type, your opponents can't see what mystery nuke you hold.

Terastalization is having many problems being to "uncompetitive" and whatnot because although pokemon is a game of prediction, you can't really predict much of anything or really even do something. This applies to ONE pokemon, imagine if it were six. I feel like it would be too much, but at the same time, goofy OMs are fun change my mind. Maybe you should make it show what tera type your opponent has so you could actually have a chance at playing around it.

Maybe it should be called Terastal Power or Hidden Power yes thats a move name i know because it's a special power of a pokemon that relates to it's tera and is hidden.

KaenSoul

Community Leader

also small edit here: i think chi yu alongside other pokemon are going to be monstrous in this tier, so yea
just make it special idk

I think the only way for this format to be somehow balanced is to have Tera banned, you get the new type on the coverage move, but you don't get to Tera into that Type.
Also, Fire is a special type, not a physical one, so you may want to edit that... Anyway is better to just discard that rule to make it easier to balance, but I think either way it can work, it comes down to what you want and what the OM leaders think.
Also, why the last move?
It may make no sense in the context of the premise, but it at least open up OMM compatibility.

just make it special idk
Two problems. First, OMs are supposed to only change one mechanic. Second, making Fairy special is a subjective change.

so i read through everything you guys replied to me, and i realized youre kinda right.
having 2 mechanics in an om is an omm (i completely fogot) and that we should ban tera (not the mechanic, just changing your type) because STAB on all 3 moves seems pretty broken. haha steelworker go brrr
also, the name Teraform and Terastal Power are so good i cant decide lol.
ill let you guys decide for the name of this om, just for fun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)