SM OU Mercy Me (Toxic Spikes Balanced)

Introduction

Yo, I've been freed from school for a few days, so here we are back with another RMT. I kinda fell out of mons for a month, but then the SmoGods finally smiled upon us and suspected Arena Trap. I haven't been playing that much, probably about 2 games a day just to keep me from rusting, on suspect test ladder since we all know the outcome. And this is the team I've had the most success with so far: T-Spikes + 3 fat. Why only have 2 fat when you can have 3 fat?!

Teambuilding Process

Lead Greninja provide T-spikes and a fast Taunt, while matching up well against the entire tier.

Zygarde acts as a tank, bulky enough to take advantage of T-spikes, while being strong enough to weaken mons by a sigificant amount.

The good ol' reliable 3 fat core, Celesteela + Clef + Poison-type. They provide relatively safe switches, pivoting and making good use of T-spikes.

Finally, Keldeo rounds out the team by giving decent offensive pressure, as well as a Gren and Volc check.

The Team

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Taunt / Gunk Shot
Lead Greninja is one of the best suicide lead sets running around right now, and it doesn't even need the "suicide" part, as you can double this thing into predicted statuses or mons then it can threaten, like Tangrowth. Toxic Spikes and Spikes provides good residual damage pressure, with Spikes being more useful against more standard teams and T-spikes for teams that doesn't have a Poison-type. Ice Beam gives Gren a sure-fire way to threaten lead Lando, Zygarde, the aforementioned Tangrowth, as well as common Defoggers like Latios and Zapdos. The last slot depends on whatever your liking is. I prefer Taunt to Gunk Shot, as it can stop opposing hazards, attempts to Defog and predicted setup. And it's always safe to go for Taunt with Focus Sash as even 1 Spike is detrimental to most teams.

Zygarde @ Figy Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 92 Atk / 124 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
At first, I had Sub + Protect Zygarde. But in testing, the set didn't suit my playstyle so I changed it to Bulky DDance. The Evs allow Zygarde's sub to endure a Seismic Toss from Chansey and Giga Drain from standard Mega Venusaur. Its Speed outruns Max Speed Magearna, with the rest dumped into Attack for more power. An alternative spread would outspeed Heatran at 279, but if your Toxic Heatran is your Zygarde check then you're dumb. Thousand Arrows can chip mons early-game, Extreme Speed can pick things off mid-game and Dragon Dance, if given the opportunity, can lead to a sweep. But most of the time, Zygarde without at least a +2 boost isn't damaging anything so DDance is pretty situational. And with the Figy Berry and its natural bulk, Zygarde can outlive many offensive mons and keep it healthy enough for defensive matchups.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Classic mon for me. Celsteela is a reliable sponge, able to check a wide variety of mons in OU, and slurp 'em right up. As the infamous Celesteela + Toxapex core can attest, it functions incredibly with Toxic Spikes since Leech Seed, Poison and Protect can rack up damage very fast. The EVs help it check stuff from both sides, namely Mega Pinsir, Tapu Lele and Magearna.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
Like Celsteela, I'm not gonna dwell too long on Clefable either. It provides rocks, Knock Off ultility, a Zygarde check and a mon that can stall out Stall, like that will exist after the votes lol.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 216 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
I was not a huge fan of Mega Venusaur back then, and I'm still not a fan of it now, but this thing puts in the WORK! First off, get that Giga Drain crap outta my face, it's a very stupid, unreliable move on Venusaur due to its low PP count and Base Power. Leech Seed + Synthesis can keep it more than healthy enough throughout the match, with Sludge Bomb being the only STAB, which has a decent chance to poison targets, most notably Latios and Latias. HP Fire along with Leech Seed and Synthesis can beat CM Shit Gear Magearna 1v1 with little effort (no freezing of course). The EVs focus on Special bulk, with a little bit in Defense to soften blows from Landorus-T, and 16 in Speed to outpace Mega Mawile.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Surf / Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
And a team can't just win with just plain bulk plus hazards (it can, but like, I'm not stupid). Keldeo provides decent offensive pressure with its dual STAB, with Stone Edge for check Volcaronas. Surf or Scald can be used, with Surf having more raw reliable power and Scald having a chance to burn. But on a Toxic Spikes teams, it's recommended to use Surf (also because I did not get any Scald burns while playing so SCREW SCALD).

Replays
VS Stall: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-628837120
VS Scizor + Kyurem-B BO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-628725646
VS HO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-632477860

Conclusion

Balanced is not my cup of tea, but it's very reliable and succuessful. I was using this team during the Arena Trap test, and probably could have gotten reqs if I wasn't so lazy and busy to play. Very weak to Zapdos though, but ask yourself "What team without a Tar isn't weak to Zapdos?".

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Zygarde @ Figy Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 92 Atk / 124 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 216 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Your team is good (I also love to use Toxic spikes) anyway, would offensive toxic spikes be better? Mvenu is bulky, they will probably take advantage of the passivity of their team and also their team is free defog for some mons (Fini, Mantine) after Greninja fall or leave the field, well this is my opinion

Your team is good (I also love to use Toxic spikes) anyway, would offensive toxic spikes be better? Mvenu is bulky, they will probably take advantage of the passivity of their team and also their team is free defog for some mons (Fini, Mantine) after Greninja fall or leave the field, well this is my opinion
Yes, I can agree with the fact that the passivity of the core allows mid-to-late game Defogging. That was one of my concerns when refining the team. But T-spikes on offense usually doesn't work well enough since games are very fast-paced with Spikes taking the spot; it works better on tanky teams that wear things down over time, most commonly seen in the form of Celesteela + Toxapex. Toxic Spikes doesn't need to be the main component of the team depending on matchups, as my original goal was to soften everything up for a clean up. Mons like Mantine, Lati and Fini (lol who uses Fini anymore), while they can freely Defog, can still be heavily pressured through Leech Seed and possible Poison. A more offensive version of the team must then contain something like, Hoopa-U or Kyurem-B to pressure Mega Latias. Heard that one's been rising up a bit lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)