Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that Mega Aggron gained 50 Defense? And it already has like the third highest Defense in the entire game...
Mega Charizard Y gained 50 SpA, Mega Heracross gained 60 Atk. These were already its best stats, meanwhile for Golduck it was one of its average stats (I mean they're all average, but still).

Making Golduck Water/Psychic is obvious, and really doesn't do it any favors. It also gets quite a few Fighting attacks (of particular interest are Cross Chop and Low Sweep), and is said to be "faster than even the most athletic swimmer" and "the fastest swimmer among all Pokémon". All it says about psychic powers are that it sometimes uses them, and it learns fewer Psychic-type attacks.

And 132 Atk is just barely better than Mega Charizard X, who has stronger STABs (Outrage and Flare Blitz) as well as Dragon Dance (Golduck only has Hone Claws, which is good with Cross Chop, but not as good). It's creative, viable, and still makes sense.

It's not like we have Speed Boost to Snorlax or something.
I know that Water/Psychic is obvious, but that's why I'm for it; for too long, this improved version of Psyduck has been criminally non-Psychic. Water/Fighting takes it in a direction that seems more engineered for competitive mons than a natural extension of flavor (which, I mean, it is, but I still like a bit of subtlety). As to your point about moves, Golduck can learn 8 Fighting moves, none through level-up: Cross Chop, Dynamic Punch, Focus Blast, Focus Punch, Low Kick, Low Sweep, Rock Smash, Power Up Punch, Seismic Toss. Meanwhile it learns 14 Psychic moves, four through level-up: Amnesia, Confusion, Wonder Room, Zen Headbutt, Calm Mind, Future Sight, Light Screen, Hypnosis, Psybeam, Psychic, Psyshock, Role Play, Synchronoise, and Telekinesis (I'm not counting Rest given its ubiquity). Yes, it learns more Fighting attack moves, but what does that matter when you look at not only the amount of total moves per type, and Golduck's natural level-up moveset clearly favoring Psychic?

There's nothing I appreciate more in discussions like this than faithfulness with cleverness, rather than boosts for convenience's sake. The question shouldn't be "how do we make Golduck good", but "how do we make Golduck good in a way that's faithful to its premise"? It's far more interesting, I think, to work out a way to make Water/Psychic unique to our duck.

We've seen this typing in bulky mons (the Slow Bros) and speedy mons (Starmie), so what other routes can we take to set Golduck apart? Right off the bat, its best stat is Special Attack, and while the other three Water/Psychics out there have decent Special Attack stats themselves, none of them have it as their highest focus in terms of base stats. Moreover, Golduck's stats are localized, but low, rather than the Slows sacrificing speed and Starmie sacrificing bulk.

I'd say, if we want to match the spirit of the duck, we would continue this trend of well-rounded stats. For an ability, we could still use the likes of Tough Claws to allow us to boost Special Attack and Speed higher, but I think a far more fun solution would be to look back at Psyduck's influence on Golduck, bringing it back into zen mode. No, I'm not suggesting actual Zen Mode, but Simple. With Simple, Golduck can hit hard from either side, either with Calm Mind for great Special prowess, or Hone Claws for a physical set (not only acting like Swords Dance, but allowing it to use inaccurate moves like Aqua Tail, Zen Headbutt, and yes, Cross Chop, with impunity, or boast a perfectly accurate Hypnosis).

I'll let you have the last word on this one if you want to post a rebuttal, because I don't think this thread should be really deciding these things yet, but I wanted to give you a glimpse into my psyche and see precisely what I think of as a good extension of a mon that works through imperfect typing or stats, rather than what I see as a Mega purely of competitive convenience with contrived flavor.

Yeah, I agree we need to have a more streamlined moderation process once the winning megas have been selected. The mega-eeveelutions not having the same stat-distributions particularly annoys me.
Btw, the next slate is:
Alomomola
Ferrothorn
Klinklang
Eelektross

I know that Water/Psychic is obvious, but that's why I'm for it; for too long, this improved version of Psyduck has been criminally non-Psychic. Water/Fighting takes it in a direction that seems more engineered for competitive mons than a natural extension of flavor (which, I mean, it is, but I still like a bit of subtlety). As to your point about moves, Golduck can learn 8 Fighting moves, none through level-up: Cross Chop, Dynamic Punch, Focus Blast, Focus Punch, Low Kick, Low Sweep, Rock Smash, Power Up Punch, Seismic Toss. Meanwhile it learns 14 Psychic moves, four through level-up: Amnesia, Confusion, Wonder Room, Zen Headbutt, Calm Mind, Future Sight, Light Screen, Hypnosis, Psybeam, Psychic, Psyshock, Role Play, Synchronoise, and Telekinesis (I'm not counting Rest given its ubiquity). Yes, it learns more Fighting attack moves, but what does that matter when you look at not only the amount of total moves per type, and Golduck's natural level-up moveset clearly favoring Psychic?

There's nothing I appreciate more in discussions like this than faithfulness with cleverness, rather than boosts for convenience's sake. The question shouldn't be "how do we make Golduck good", but "how do we make Golduck good in a way that's faithful to its premise"? It's far more interesting, I think, to work out a way to make Water/Psychic unique to our duck.

We've seen this typing in bulky mons (the Slow Bros) and speedy mons (Starmie), so what other routes can we take to set Golduck apart? Right off the bat, its best stat is Special Attack, and while the other three Water/Psychics out there have decent Special Attack stats themselves, none of them have it as their highest focus in terms of base stats. Moreover, Golduck's stats are localized, but low, rather than the Slows sacrificing speed and Starmie sacrificing bulk.

I'd say, if we want to match the spirit of the duck, we would continue this trend of well-rounded stats. For an ability, we could still use the likes of Tough Claws to allow us to boost Special Attack and Speed higher, but I think a far more fun solution would be to look back at Psyduck's influence on Golduck, bringing it back into zen mode. No, I'm not suggesting actual Zen Mode, but Simple. With Simple, Golduck can hit hard from either side, either with Calm Mind for great Special prowess, or Hone Claws for a physical set (not only acting like Swords Dance, but allowing it to use inaccurate moves like Aqua Tail, Zen Headbutt, and yes, Cross Chop, with impunity, or boast a perfectly accurate Hypnosis).

I'll let you have the last word on this one if you want to post a rebuttal, because I don't think this thread should be really deciding these things yet, but I wanted to give you a glimpse into my psyche and see precisely what I think of as a good extension of a mon that works through imperfect typing or stats, rather than what I see as a Mega purely of competitive convenience with contrived flavor.
There were a few submissions, including mine, that did give it Simple. They didn't win, of course, but it is a perfect fit. It allows Golduck to become a speedy setup sweeper, as opposed to other Water-types, typically bulky ones like Slowbro and Suicune.

On the other hand, I feel like if Golduck were meant to be Psychic, it would be. There's nothing too strongly pointing to either type, and Water/Psychic is a bit stale.

What really bothers me, though, is how disastrously we've handled duos, trios, and other groups (the Eeveelutions are all over the place, ugh). We should revisit those.

I'm going to be boo'd at, but I was thinking of a parental bond clone for Kinklang. It has like 4 viable moves so it's probably just terribly inept at abusing it terribly (I have a reasoning but I'm saving it)

Alomomola: This thing is the most fairy-like non-Fairy. It's based all around love, care, healing, and so forth. Fitting moves like Sweet Kiss and Draining Kiss are Fairy-type. And it's pink!

Ferrothorn: Filter? It's going to be hard to differentiate its Mega, since any moves will probably be as usable by standard Ferro as by Mega. Maybe a decent Attack boost and Analytic?

Klinklang: TECHNICIAN GEAR GRIND. That's right, it's essentially a 150 BP / 90 Acc STAB. Give it something like Flame Charge, and it now has decent coverage to boot. Maybe Bulldoze because that's machinery related... sort of. What physical moves fit gears?

Eelektross: Strong Jaws. Too bad it won't be able to get all the Fang moves, since there are 4 and we're only allowed to give 3 new moves. Why does it not get Thunder Fang already?

Last edited:
I've been making a new spreadsheet that's updated with most of the newer ones going back to Dusknoir, and we might need to cool it with Technician for a while. Just within the past week, Unfezant, Scolipede, and Crustle have gotten it, and we also have Floatzel, Weavile, Sceptile, and Politoed with it.

PM me if you want to edit this spreadsheet yourself, btw.

Another crazy Mega is Bronzong, which gets a stat spread of essentially 67/129/146/89/146/150+ for its first five turns after being sent out, in addition to now having Recover. That is my main little pet peeve for the Mega submissions - when a Trick Room-oriented Pokemon that's already slower than just about everything gets even slower so more points can be dumped into its other stats, even though distributing the +100 among just 3-4 stats already results in substantial boosts. As far as I know, Heracross and Garchomp are the only existing Megas that have lost Speed, and those two both would have liked to have that stat stay the same. It's like making a Mega Darmanitan that has base 10 Special Attack so it can have a 105/190/75/10/75/125 stat spread.

Last edited:
I've been making a new spreadsheet that's updated with most of the newer ones going back to Dusknoir, and we might need to cool it with Technician for a while. Just within the past week, Unfezant, Scolipede, and Crustle have gotten it, and we also have Floatzel, Weavile, Sceptile, and Politoed with it.

PM me if you want to edit this spreadsheet yourself, btw.
Oh. Well, Sceptile doesn't count because we have an actual Mega Sceptile to use which will be released by the time we're done - we skipped making Megas for Hoenn because of the remakes). I don't know why Politoed or Crustle have it (Technician Weavile has been suggested many times besides here, I like it).

Plus, it's Klinklang. I don't see much else we can do with it that fits. Motor Drive?

Last edited:
List of abilities that could make sense on Klinglang
-Clear Body
-Heavy Metal/Light Metal (Gears can be light or heavy and are made from Metal.)
-Lightning Rod
-Plus/Minus
-Motor Drive
-Technician
-Teravolt (This makes sense on every Pokemon generating, using or storing huge numbers of electricity, look at the name)
-Volt Absorb

Type Changes: Steel/Electric, None
Potencial focus: Absuing Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Mixed or Physical (movepool and flavour).

Moves: Volttackle, Electro Ball (Good Basepower on Klinglangs using Technician, with the potential of getting absurdly powerful), moves that can be slapped on almost every heavy pokemon (Earthquake, Heavy Slam etc.)

-Clear Body
-Heavy Metal/Light Metal (Gears can be light or heavy and are made from Metal.)
-Lightning Rod
-Plus/Minus
-Motor Drive
-Technician
-Teravolt (This makes sense on every Pokemon generating, using or storing huge numbers of electricity, look at the name)
-Volt Absorb

Potencial focus: Absuing Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Mixed or Physical (movepool and flavour).

Moves: Volttackle, Electro Ball (Good Basepower on Klinglangs using Technician, with the potential of getting absurdly powerful), moves that can be slapped on almost every heavy pokemon (Earthquake, Heavy Slam etc.)
Clear Body, sure
Heavy/Light Metal are unfortunately nearly useless as abilities.
Lightning Rod would be cool, but it would need a huge boost to Special Attack first (70 base isn't great)
Plus/Minus, it already has and are uselss in singles
Teravolt is Zekrom's signature ability, it's sorta off-limits. Plus, it doesn't seem like it would do much besides the few opposing Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb, or Motor Drive wielders. It already breaks Sturdy with its signature move and won't trigger most other abilities that Teravolt ignores.

I though people were generally against giving Pokémon large stat boosts mostly to a single stat, as well as completely changing their role. Upon Mega Evolving, most 'mons keep their highest stat and gain a bit in other stats to round out.

Clear Body, sure Non mega non mega Klinglang has this ability
Heavy/Light Metal are unfortunately nearly useless as abilities.I'm ignoring good or bad abilities I'm ignoring if it's a good ability, I only look if it makes sense
Lightning Rod would be cool, but it would need a huge boost to Special Attack first (70 base isn't great) 110 can work with Lightningrod, I wasn's sure about that anyway.
Plus/Minus, it already has and are uselss in singles Again, ignoring usefullness.
Teravolt is Zekrom's signature ability, it's sorta off-limits. Plus, it doesn't seem like it would do much besides the few opposing Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb, or Motor Drive wielders. It already breaks Sturdy with its signature move and won't trigger most other abilities that Teravolt ignores. Teravolt means just that there are 1012 Volts involved. Yes, it is Zekroms Signature ability. However, it is a Signature ability that can work on pretty much every Electric type. It's not Multitype or Stance Change, it's something like Flare Boost or Aerilate. Still ignoring usefullness, just collecting abilities.

I though people were generally against giving Pokémon large stat boosts mostly to a single stat, as well as completely changing their role. Upon Mega Evolving, most 'mons keep their highest stat and gain a bit in other stats to round out. Yes, the role problem. Klinglangs stats are better for physical moves, its best stat is Defense. It's movepool and flavour however looks like it's designed to use Special moves. A +40 increase is manageable, giving it useable Special Attack.
Comments.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Comments.
Problem with your statement on Teravolt is that its a legendary exclusive ability, if it was something like Gale Wings or Illusion I would be fine with it, but not when its a ability like Teravolt or Bad Dreams. While it may make sense competitively, it completely shits on flavor.

For Klinklang I'm thinking of an ability called Clockwork that always does the maximum amount of damage it can considering stats and boosts. not sure if its possible tho.

electric/poison eelektross: y/n?

it learns acid-based moves via level-up, and levitate gets rid of the 4x ground weak it would otherwise have. poison gives it a psychic weakness, but fighting, grass, poison, bug, and fairy resistances. it could get gunk shot (coil synergy), sludge wave or sludge bomb, maybe poison jab. my only reservation is that it might end up seriously outclassing arbok's coil set.

it learns acid-based moves via level-up, and levitate gets rid of the 4x ground weak it would otherwise have. poison gives it a psychic weakness, but fighting, grass, poison, bug, and fairy resistances. it could get gunk shot (coil synergy), sludge wave or sludge bomb, maybe poison jab. my only reservation is that it might end up seriously outclassing arbok's coil set.
Almost exactly what I was thinking - probably want to keep it slow while also dumping some points into Speed to keep it from being too bulky or hard-hitting. I'm not as worried about Arbok because with the Mega it got, it's now a Dragon Dancer with super effective STAB for fairies.

How about an ability for Klinklang that gives it +1 Special Attack? Sorry to the new ability-hating crowd, but I'm just thinking along the lines of the Mega being composed of more gears so it effectively has Plus and Minus at the same time. I'd likely dock some Speed so it's more of a mixed tank that gets pseudo STAB on Thunderbolt (and a better than Adaptability Flash Cannon) without the 4x Ground weakness.

Last edited:
Are we going to have to ban new abilities? It's like people don't even read.

But really, we have a whole list of abilities for Klinklang so you don't have to give it a new ability:

-Clear Body
-Lightning Rod
-Plus/Minus
-Motor Drive
-Technician
-Volt Absorb

Can we at least try? thank

I absolutely support this. Only issue is the max of 3 moves. I'd say drop Sludge Wave, the extra 5 power isn't worth Sludge Bomb's 30% Poison chance.

Last edited:
I'm going to try Simple on Mega Klinklang.
Try and tell me a bunch of gears isn't simple ._.
But still, +2 Atk/+4 Speed with a single Shift Gear is going to be fun.

Also, I really want to keep Eelektross pure Electric with Levitate, if only for the lack of weaknesses. Plus some buff to its Sp.Atk stats? Currently Dragon type walls that.

I'm going to try Simple on Mega Klinklang.
Try and tell me a bunch of gears isn't simple ._.
But still, +2 Atk/+4 Speed with a single Shift Gear is going to be fun.

Also, I really want to keep Eelektross pure Electric with Levitate, if only for the lack of weaknesses. Plus some buff to its Sp.Atk stats? Currently Dragon type walls that.
i fucking knew it

Actually if it still has shit coverage then it won't be broken so go ahead. Then again Simple implies low intelligence (Numel and Bibarel are pretty dopey-looking) and a machine would be the opposite of that.

At least we managed to avoid it with the last two Shell Smashers...

But really, we have a whole list of abilities for Klinklang so you don't have to give it a new ability:

Can we at least try?
I tried. Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb and Technician are all bad flavor-wise. If you want to put Technician on every Pokemon, there's already an OM for that. Technician implies that something's adept at using the instruments of its trade; Klingklang simply is that instrument. That's why very single Pokemon that has gotten Technician has arms and legs until it recently started getting suggested for everything that learns or can be given an <60 BP STAB move.

It's already got Clear Body and wouldn't improve enough with just its default ability unless it got some random moves like Earthquake. Motor Drive is mostly redundant when it's got the best speed-boosting move in the game, and again the absorbing electricity doesn't fit with Klinklang; the Electric moves it uses are the result of releasing the energy it generates mechanically. Plus and Minus are useless in Singles, so I just combined them.

Last edited:
i fucking knew it

Actually if it still has shit coverage then it won't be broken so go ahead. Then again Simple implies low intelligence (Numel and Bibarel are pretty dopey-looking) and a machine would be the opposite of that.

At least we managed to avoid it with the last two Shell Smashers...
Except when said machine is basically a bunch of gears and nothing else ._.
Plus, Klangs are stupid enough to shoot out their gears even if they'll die if the gears don't return. I don't think Klinklangs are much better.

Also, give Alomomola Topsy-Turvy. I mean goddammit even its name is a palindrome. That has to fit flavor wise.
(Plus it screws over BD Azu)

Almost exactly what I was thinking - probably want to keep it slow while also dumping some points into Speed to keep it from being too bulky or hard-hitting. I'm not as worried about Arbok because with the Mega it got, it's now a Dragon Dancer with super effective STAB for fairies.
ah, good! i didn't check to think if arbok already had a mega. but good. i'll start putting together a submission.

Clearly not hard enough. I know you've got more than that in you. Not only does Motor Drive make absolute sense flavor-wise (as do Volt Absorb and Lightning Rod, it's essentially a living motor and "Its red core functions as an energy tank") but even if it has Shift Gear, absorbing electricity is hardly useless.

Still, even without that, consider the following:

Levitate: Come on people, it's clearly capable of using electromagnetism to float, particularly if its form changes (and before charges of similarity to Mega Magnezone come flying in, they play entirely differently, one being a boosting physical type, the other a special-type powerhouse).
Analytic: Again, it's a machine, and it can use this to punish switches and priority users that try to capitalize on its speed.
Compound Eyes/No Guard: It does have multiple eyes, and regardless, this can be used to help Gear Grind, sure, but also Zap Cannon for some mixed action.
Heatproof: Such fast-spinning gears have to be resistant to overheating.
Magnet Pull: Klinklang controls electromagnetism.
Sniper: It stores energy and waits for the critical moment to hit. So yeah.
Super Luck: Same mentality (and Gear Grind's two hits let this work wonders.
Speed Boost: The gears keep on spinning. Perhaps not so useful with Shift Gear, but still makes perfect sense.
Static: Again, the pulses.

As for new abilities we added:
Generator: duh.

We do not need a new ability for Klinklang.

Last edited:

Can we at least try? thank
I'm sorry but have you even looked at that list? To date there isn't a single mega with a mediocre ability(excluding ubers). Now take a look at Klinklang. Auspicious typing, good boosting, but is shit. So much so that he never sees use outside of his tier and rarely sees use inside of it. A mediocre ability won't cut it. Either find flavor from an existing good ability or make a new one. If you'd at least suggested a usefull ability from him instead of just complaining about people making new abilities you would have been perfectly fine, but instead you decided to release wasted words from your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)