ORAS OU Mega Sableye Stall Shenanigans

Built a new team recently, it's been doing pretty well so far. Basic RMT thread, contributions appreciated :)

Edits in red

Moctezuma (Sableye) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Standard Calm Mind sweeping Sableye, everybody's familiar with it, as it's literally everywhere. I decided Shadow Ball because I don't need dark coverage much, and the only really prominent normal type - Chancey - is handled pretty well by other team members (Primarily Chesnaught). It's here to come in on a physical attacker, burn, and start setting up Calm Minds, as well as a secondary role of hazard control/spinblocker.

Barbara (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast

Clefable is here for one primary reason: to manage opposing Mega-Sableyes. There's not a single set that can touch this Clefable, unless it gets an ungodly amount of boosts up. Fire blast is to catch Ferro/Scizor on the switch, which is very very common. Finally, heal bell is there because in general this team doesn't like status all this much, for example when Sableye gets a scald burn, or sludge bomb poison.

Chester (Chesnaught) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch

This Chesnaught is the king of passive damage. It's here to stack spikes and leech seed things. It can handle Ferro 100% (lol gyro ball) and lots of poison/ghost types (except Gengar gets sludge wave now :/ ). Also this shiny is super sexy.

Flameo (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Will-O-Wisp Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Earth Power

Heatran is on this team primarily to deal with fairies, which is important if Sableye wants to sweep effectively. It does this job pretty effectively, although I've considered running a slightly more offensive variant. Earth Power / Ancient power is essentially deciding whether you want to kill Talonflame/Charizard

George Washington (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / U-Turn
- Rock Slide

Bulky Lando-T is such a good mon, and it fits onto almost any team and this team is no exception. It's the team's primary stealth rock setter (although Mega-Sableye can sometimes bounce rocks up), and it's a pretty strong defensive tank that hits crazy hard. Rock Slide is there to keep birds under control, while Knock Off is there to get rid of items for utility as well as hit types that resist ground STAB. U-Turn Can be used alternatively for momentum and switch initiative, but I personally think this team doesn't need it that much.

Broadway (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Scald Hydro Pump

Starmie hangs out on this team for 2 very prominent reasons. First, it is a very good spinner, as any hazards that Mega-Sableye can't bounce back can become very bothersome. Addtionally it's a fantastic revenge killer, with a respectable SpA stat, and a fantastic speed tier. On top of that, BoltBeam coverage in tandem with expert belt is nothing to laugh at.

Post suggestions/ similar teams below, and as always: Thanks for reading :)

Edit:
Importable team version for Pokemon Showdown
Moctezuma (Sableye) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Barbara (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast

Chester (Chesnaught) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch

Flameo (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

George Washington (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Broadway (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A few suggestions, switch Starmies item to life orb and change scald to hydro pump, this lets you do as much damage as possible with Starmies attacks. Also replace flamethrower on Heatran with lava plume, the burn chance that lava plume has is a lot more helpful than the extra damage flamethrower does.

change shadow ball to dark pulse on mega sablye and replace thunder bolt to recover, and change rock slide to stone edge

A few suggestions, switch Starmies item to life orb and change scald to hydro pump, this lets you do as much damage as possible with Starmies attacks. Also replace flamethrower on Heatran with lava plume, the burn chance that lava plume has is a lot more helpful than the extra damage flamethrower does.
The only problem I have with life orb is the unnecessary recoil on rapid spins, but thanks for the lava plume suggestion, I'll be sure to change it!

change shadow ball to dark pulse on mega sablye and replace thunder bolt to recover, and change rock slide to stone edge
Without T-bolt I have a lot of trouble with bulky waters, especially azumarril, and skarm.
What are the advantages to dark pulse over shadow ball?
I picked rock slide over stone stone miss because the accuracy really blows me, and a miss at the wrong time could prove disasterous

yeah but at certian times the damage is not enough and besides 80% is atctually more sucessuful than people think, its like comparing it to dynamic punch its a lot more reliable that people think and also, starimie is not really neccesary for bulky waters becuase you have chesnaught i thought t-bolt was for the flying types and besides ice beam has much more coverage.
There are too many things that resist shadow ball in this meta, for example bisharp, crawduant, and weavile
asl othe flinch chance is great to

yeah but at certian times the damage is not enough and besides 80% is atctually more sucessuful than people think, its like comparing it to dynamic punch its a lot more reliable that people think and also, starimie is not really neccesary for bulky waters becuase you have chesnaught i thought t-bolt was for the flying types and besides ice beam has much more coverage.
There are too many things that resist shadow ball in this meta, for example bisharp, crawduant, and weavile
asl othe flinch chance is great to
1. Azu gets play rough which bops chesnaught
2. All those things you just listed resist dark pulse as well...

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
and they also get burned after attacking, its really a matter of which one you prefer.

I completely agree with this, hydro pump LO starmie gets important OHKOs such as on bisharp (75%), ttar switch ins (ex choice scarf, and good shot to OHKO 252 hp variants after rocks and just does much more damage in general. If you don't want an offensive spinner, probably better to run lefties + max hp + recover. Also consider psyshock/psychic on starmie to beat venutran more easily.

I completely agree with this, hydro pump LO starmie gets important OHKOs such as on bisharp (75%), ttar switch ins (ex choice scarf, and good shot to OHKO 252 hp variants after rocks and just does much more damage in general. If you don't want an offensive spinner, probably better to run lefties + max hp + recover. Also consider psyshock/psychic on starmie to beat venutran more easily.
You're both right, hydro pump should be carried over scald. I'm still not comfortable with the recoil from spins while holding LO, which I think is understandable. I would run psychic/shock, but psychic coverage isn't something that I've found myself missing, at least 9 times out of 10.

I suggest you run a bit of speed ev on the heatran in case of heatran vs heatran match up. So your earth power will go first and ohko the opposing heatran. 16 evs should be good.

I suggest you run a bit of speed ev on the heatran in case of heatran vs heatran match up. So your earth power will go first and ohko the opposing heatran. 16 evs should be good.
now what's the purpose of 16 ev's? Can I not outspeed most standard spdeftrans with 4 extra ev's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)