SM OU Mega-Gyarados and SG-Magearna, any thoughts?

Hey :)

First off, I really enjoy buildung Pokemon teams, but most of them aren´t very good. A while ago I wanted to build a team with Mega-Gyarados and this is what came out. I played with it and it brought me to ~1500 on the ladder (before I wobbled around at 1300), so I thought I´d share it in hope for some feedback.
Oh and also this is my first post here :)

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

First the Pokemon I wanted to build around. Generally speaking, this is the first sweeper in the Team, the principle is known: It sets up with dragon dance after its checks have been weakend or K.O.ed and then it sweeps. This is the standard M-Gyarados set, but with three attacks instead of substitude or taunt. This is because i always found myself wishing I had some better coverage while I was running sub. While playing with three attacks I didn´t miss the substitude, so I sticked with it, but I am aware that this might just be my preferance.

Magearna @ Steelium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear

The second sweaper is a Shift Gear Magerna. This started out as an assault-vest Magearna, but I thought I had enough other defensive Pokemon, so I made it my second late game sweeper. Here I again opted for one set-up move with three attacks as i wanted good coverage. The Z-move is espeacially usefull to this Pokemon, as it is possible to get K.O.s on switch ins after it boosted up with shift gear and/or Soul-Heart. It also has some nice synergy with Gyarados, as the two can set up on the other ones counters (Magearna for example can´t stay in on a Landorus or Garchomp while it is unboosted, whereas Gyarados does not particularly mind these two. On the other hand is Magearna quite good against the likes of Tapu Lele and Rotom-W, which both can be problematic for Gyarados).

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast/ Knock Off
- Defog
- U-turn

To be honest, Tornadus is just here because I badly wanted to use it, but it also offers some good momentum grabbing capabilities, as well as reliably checking opposing grass types, along with some chip damage, so it was allowed to stay. The set is a defensively oriented pivot and defogger. I regularly switch around focus blast and knock off here, depending on how the last few games went. This Pokemon comes in when defog is needed and when it has to check (preferably physical) counters to Heatran and Tapu Koko.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect
- Swords Dance

I next decided to go for the true and tested Tapu Bulu-Heatran combo, as I wanted the team to have a sturdy backbone. And those two really are sturdy together... This set of Tapu Bulu can practically counter everything that does less than ~60% damage to it in one hit, as it regenerates extremely well with protect and horn leech in grassy terrain (this includes some unexpected Pokemon like 3 attack Zapdos which becomes setup fodder for Tapu Bulu if it stays in). I won quite few games with Tapu Bulu alone, where the opponent lost their only counter to this Pokemon early on. Designed as a special tank against the likes of M-Alakazam and Tapu Lele, it can fullfill a role as a pseudo-sweeper surprisingly well. Also, it beats rain-teams.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Stealth Rock

This is one point I´m unsure about. I never used Heatran before this team, so I just went with a standard set from the smogon dex. The only thing I changed was to give it nature power, which can surprise the opponent in some cases. As I found this set to work well, I did not further touch it. Tapu Bulu and Heatran perfectly cover each others backs with Heatran absorbing poison attacks and Tapu Bulu setting up grassy terrain against ground moves as well as checking water types. Heatran is also the stealth rocker on the team.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 32 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Lastly I opted to not go for something choice-scrafed, but instead for a little more damage for the early game. I wanted a Pokemon, that is quite fast and can weaken the opponent early on. Tapu Koko seemed like a solid choice, as it can generate a lot of momentum for the team and additionally sets up electric terrain for Magearnas thunderbolt, which is quite useful sometimes. The Life Orb is to deal more damage and avoid being choice locked. This set can beat an offensive Landorus in one hit with HP Ice (though chice scrafed variants are obviously faster).

The overall game plan mostly consists of weakening the enemy team with the latter four Pokemon and then set up one or both of the sweepers. This works quite well by being aggressive with Tapu Bulu, Tornadus and Tapu Koko.

The most notable weakness might be the missing electric immunity, which can be a problem from time to time, but I have been able to get around it by using Magearna and Tapu Bulu more carefully than usual. Another weak point might the lack of something really fast (a choice-scrafer) for speed control. I´m sure I encountered a few more problems with the team while playing, but I can´t quite recall them right now, so hints on weaknesses are welcome.

Best regards, Glandalin

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Magearna @ Steelium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Defog
- U-turn

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 32 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Magearna @ Steelium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Defog
- U-turn

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Last edited:
Cool team! Gyarados is my favorite mega to use competitively and I have a lot of experience with it so I'd like to just offer my two cents.

Substitute is absolutely mandatory on Mega Gyarados. It allows you to stop Will-o-Wisp and Toxic, and also prevents burns from Scald and Lava Plume, which usually take 2-3 hits to break the sub cause Gyara is pretty bulky. Drop the Ice Fang because even though it hits certain checks to Gyarados, it's usually better to just take out those checks with your teammates and then let Gyarados do its thing.

Speaking of teammates that kill checks, you might want to replace Tapu Koko with Choice Scarf Greninja that has Extrasensory. Not having a choice scarf mon is a little bit too risky in this current meta imo, and Scarf Greninja works really well with Mega Gyarados because it lure the Toxapex and hit it with Extrasensory, as well use Ice Beam to nail Tangrowth. Not only that, you can put Spikes and Gunk Shot on it too, meaning it can pressure the opponent with additional hazard support if you Heatran is unable to get up rocks, and Gunk Shot nails Tapu Fini. I love using MGyarados, and I've found that the 3 most common answers the opponent has to it are often Toxapex, Tangrowth, or Tapu Fini so I highly recommend Scarf Protean Greninja.

Also consider Magma Storm on Heatran, cause that move is busted. Trapping and eliminating stuff like Chansey (to pave the way for Magearna) makes it so easy to sweep the opponent. Magma Storm Heatran + Substitute M-Gyarados makes it so you always beat Stall teams unless you misplay super hard, and makes the matchup against defensive Balance teams much easier.

Cool team! Gyarados is my favorite mega to use competitively and I have a lot of experience with it so I'd like to just offer my two cents.

Substitute is absolutely mandatory on Mega Gyarados. It allows you to stop Will-o-Wisp and Toxic, and also prevents burns from Scald and Lava Plume, which usually take 2-3 hits to break the sub cause Gyara is pretty bulky. Drop the Ice Fang because even though it hits certain checks to Gyarados, it's usually better to just take out those checks with your teammates and then let Gyarados do its thing.

Speaking of teammates that kill checks, you might want to replace Tapu Koko with Choice Scarf Greninja that has Extrasensory. Not having a choice scarf mon is a little bit too risky in this current meta imo, and Scarf Greninja works really well with Mega Gyarados because it lure the Toxapex and hit it with Extrasensory, as well use Ice Beam to nail Tangrowth. Not only that, you can put Spikes and Gunk Shot on it too, meaning it can pressure the opponent with additional hazard support if you Heatran is unable to get up rocks, and Gunk Shot nails Tapu Fini. I love using MGyarados, and I've found that the 3 most common answers the opponent has to it are often Toxapex, Tangrowth, or Tapu Fini so I highly recommend Scarf Protean Greninja.

Also consider Magma Storm on Heatran, cause that move is busted. Trapping and eliminating stuff like Chansey (to pave the way for Magearna) makes it so easy to sweep the opponent. Magma Storm Heatran + Substitute M-Gyarados makes it so you always beat Stall teams unless you misplay super hard, and makes the matchup against defensive Balance teams much easier.
Thanks a lot! :D
I will try out these changes.
I guess i´ll just have to learn how to use substitude on Gyarados better then. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)