VGC Mega Gengar Shenanigans

Hello I'm a Doubles player looking to get into VGC, this is the 4th team I built for the new meta, with the objective of using Mega Gengar trapping with things that can abuse it.

Stratos (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
As the main objective of the team was to use this mega, it's obviously here. I really like Mega Gengar because it can select good Double matchups for my pokemon to take advantage off, it also outspeeds and Burns Mega Rayquaza and Kangaskhan, making it a valuable asset against physical attackers. With Landorus-Therian falling out of flavor for Primal-Groudon, I saw only more reason to try out Mega Gengar, as Grounds and Darks were his biggest threats (And guess what, Bisharp has ALSO fallen out of flavor! Such a good day to live). The set is more so standard, the most common set I see on the ladder is disable paired with Encore, but that's pretty gay so I use Will-o-Wisp with Dual STABs so I can hit a lot of things and burn stuff. The EVs help me accomplish that, with max speed and max spa, I can hit as hard as possible whilst mantaining good speed.

SpaceBass (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Timid Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect
As I mentioned before, I wanted to use things that could make use of Shadow Tag, the Primals imediatly came to mind. I chose Primal-Kyogre because of spread Origin Pulse, and I think he has a better deal beating Primal-Groudon than the opposite. I chose a fast set so I can outspeed Primal-Groudon after I switch-in. The moves are all standard, I dislike Water Spout because you need to tank some hits and Water Spout gets progressively weaker as you do so.

shitmon (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower
Since I was not going to use Primal-Groudon with this team, a Ground type to deal with the latter was needed. Landorus-Therian immediatly came to mind, being able to provide Intimidate support and a fast U-turn, besides the obvious Rock Slide and Earthquake combo. Intimidate support is super valuable in this meta, with the ploriferation of strong Physical attackers liek Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Rayquaza and Mega Salamence, while I do have Mega Gengar, it's not in all matchups that he is the optimal choice. The moves and EVs are standard, I chose super power for my last slot as burns are not enough to deal with Kanga, I believe a fighting type move is a need in every team to threaten Kangaskhan and other Steels when you can't afford to Earthquake.

Insert Bacon Joke (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
Wide Guard Aegislash with support was looking like a big threat, so I wanted a Dark type. With the decay of Bisharp, Yveltal was the Pokemon I looked forward to. While many think Yveltal is underpowered, I think he has a really cool niche of having unresisted coverage and good healing with Oblivion Wing. Dark Aura boosted Dark Pulses and Sucker Punches are really strong, a combo of the both can 2HKO a good portion of the metagame. I'm using Modest instead of a speed boosting nature because I knew I was going to have a speed control pokemon in my next slot, making Timid quite unescessary.

Not A Single Lady (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 36 SpA / 68 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Role Play
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
Thundurus came up next, I chose him because it was another reliable partner for Landorus-Therian to Earthquake besides, provided Taunt for whatever bullshit the ladder has and has the ever valuable Thunder Wave providing the team with super valued speed control. The spread is taken straight from the analysis, so take a look there to see what it does. On this specific team, I chose to replace Hidden Power Ice with Role Play, this is so I can Role Play Primordial Sea to reset the weather or any other useful abilities that I might desire, such as Intimidate or Shadow Tag.

hentai lol xD (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect
Lastly I needed something to help deal with both Kyogre and Xerneas, Ferrothorn was the obvious choice, as he can OHKO Xern with Gyro Ball and do heavy damage with Power Whip to Primal-Kyogre. I chose Max Attack give me a chance to OHKO Primal-Kyogre, as most Special Attackers (Pogre and Xern) really hate Ferrothorn and I have a bunch of support vs Physical Attackers.

Stratos (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

SpaceBass (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

shitmon (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Insert Bacon Joke (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Not A Single Lady (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 36 SpA / 68 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Role Play
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

hentai lol xD (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
Hi Roxer! Firstly I'd like to say I really like the idea behind this team. Personally I have been finding Mega Gengar really good as well so far in this meta as having the ability to trap is a great way to swing momentum in your favour, especially with all of these previously restricted mons being allowed. Taking a quick look at your team, some threats I can see to it are opposing Yveltal, as well as a slight weakness to Dialga considering you don't have many checks to both of these Pokemon who are fairly common in the current meta.

The first suggestion I have for you is the changing of Choice Scarf on Landorus-T to Choice Band. Landorus' base speed allows it to outspeed threats such as Adamant Primal Groudon and Modest Dialga, as well as hitting them a lot harder than a Scarf set would. The Scarf set doesn't allow you to OHKO Dialga without Shuca Berry as you are OHKO'd by a Draco Meteor, and at -1 you don't even 2hko 252HP Primal Groudon. In order to still outspeed Dialga and Pdon, I advise that you stick with your 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe EV spread, and although I think that you could change U-Turn to Stone Edge to help more with Flying types, that decision is ultimately up to you.

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dialga: 132-156 (63.7 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dialga: 194-230 (93.7 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 162-192 (98.1 - 116.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

The second suggestion I have for you is to change Thundurus' Item to Life Orb and it's EV Spread to 52 HP / 60 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 172 Spe with a Timid Nature. This EV Spread gives you enough speed to outspeed 252+ Speed Mega Kangaskhan and also have a 90% chance to OHKO non bulk Yveltal with Thunderbolt. The defensive part of the spread allows you to live a 0 Attack Life Orb Yveltal Sucker Punch + Life Orb damage. You also outspeed other Primal Kyogre and although you don't OHKO them with Tbolt, you deal a lot more damage than before.

220 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 198-234 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 52 HP / 60 Def Thundurus: 121-142 (75.1 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
220 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 133-156 (75.5 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course this means you'll have to change the item on Yveltal due to item clause, so the item I suggest is Black Glasses. This item has been commonly used on Yveltal by many VGC players so far and isn't a large sacrifice in power from Life Orb.

252+ SpA Black Glasses Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 170-204 (101.7 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Black Glasses Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 108-127 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lastly I think that your Ferrothorn's EV Spread can be enhanced. The spread I suggest is: 252 HP / 124 Att / 132 Def with a Brave Nature and 0 Speed IV's. The Defensive EV's allow you to live 2 Jolly Low Kick's from Mega Kanga at -1 and 2 Precipice Blades from max attack Groudon (If Kyogre's ability is up of course). The attack EV's allow you to OHKO non bulky Primal Kyogre and have a 50% chance of OHKO'ing bulky Xerneas at after a Geomancy.

124+ Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 212-252 (90.9 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 68-80 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Ferrothorn: 76-91 (41.9 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Ferrothorn: 81-96 (44.7 - 53%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I hope some of this helps and hopefully you continue to find VGC 2016 fun to play n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)