SM OU Mega Ampharos Team [New Player]

Hey all!

I'm brand new to competitive battling, so apologies if this team has some really glaring weaknesses or flaws. I've basically thrown this together quickly based on my understanding of the game, though of course this is pretty limited haha. Also, sorry if my explanations don't make sense or I just say stuff that's flat out wrong. Anyway, here goes nothing;

1569243803005.png

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire​

Mega Ampharos is good due to its crazy SpA stat, which combined with the rain from Pelipper, allows it monstrous damage from Thunder. It's Hidden Power Fire gives it coverage against Ice Types which might otherwise cause it trouble. I opted for Volt Tackle over Iron Tail, and although it is weak to Fairy, Volt Tackle gives Mega Ampharos a good escape route. It is on the slower side however, so I specced SpD to improve Mega Ampharos’ chances of surviving a big hit from fairy types such as Diance, Magearna, and Tapu Lele. Finally, Dragon Pulse is a good move for when rain stops or against ground types. Overall, Mega Ampharos’ weaknesses are mainly Fairy and Ground types, which comes around due to it’s painful speed. However, a SpA stat of almost 500 is good enough to justify it for me, especially with the 110 power Thunder.

1569243923184.png

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Roost​

Pelipper is more of a utility Pokémon chosen for its ability Drizzle, and it’s Flying typing. I chose it over Politoed so that it can play a support role for Mega Ampharos, since it is immune to Ground types. It’s better SpA also allows it to dish out more damage, at the expense of lower defences. Pelipper’s main role, however, is simply to summon rain whenever it enters the battlefield. Defog allows it to fulfil another role at the beginning of a battle, making it a relatively decent choice to open with. Hurricane provides STAB damage, while Ice Beam is there to deter ground types that Mega Ampharos can’t deal with. Finally, Roost allows Pelipper to have a bit more longevity, although similarly to Mega Ampharos, Pelipper is a little on the slow side. Electric and Rock types are both big treats to Pelipper, though the combination of Drizzle, Ice Beam, and Defog all function to assist the team, allowing them to cover most of the threats Pelipper will face.

1569244021747.png

Florges @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Synthesis
- Moonblast​

Florges was an… interesting Pokémon to choose. On it’s own, it doesn’t have fantastic stats or a good ability, but the supportive move pool really lets it shine as a Cleric on my team. A crazy 154 base SpD allows it to tank a couple of Poison hits (though not a ton), but protection against Steel moves is lacking. Synthesis provides some needed bulk whenever needed, and Wish alongside Aromatherapy work wonders for team support. Moonblast is a good Fairy type move which checks Dragon Types. With STAB it hits for decent damage and the chance to lower SpA makes it worthwhile. While there probably is a better alternative to Florges, I’m pretty happy with how it works with the team at the moment.
1569244115108.png

Landorus-Therian @ Full Incense
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def
Serious Nature
- Brick Break
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Earthquake​

Intimidate is great. So is a Ground/Flying type. While it has a large weakness to Ice (similar to Mega Ampharos), it also gets Brick Break, which is a decent enough move on it’s own. U-Turn allows for a switch in for any Pokémon (ensured to be safe as long as the Full Incense is still there), providing an emergency escape if needed. Earthquake and Outrage are just there for big damage when the time comes. Landorus-T isn’t really a staple of this team, but he has some special characteristics that make him rather valuable.

1569244159408.png

Toxicroak @ Steelium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
Toxicroak plays a large role in this team. Priority in Bullet Punch, and regeneration in Drain Punch make Toxicroak a kind of fall-back. While he’s not the strongest in the team, he does provide some nice coverage against pesky Ice types, and Knock Off carries some good utility as well. Poison Jab is a good option against Fairy types, as well. Toxicroak also has the ability Dry Skin, which allows for some synergy with the rain that Ampharos Mega and Pelipper thrive in. Toxicroak may not be the powerhouse of the team, but he carries some background power for when it’s needed.

1569244244506.png

Blacephalon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Mind Blown
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Trick​

Toxicroak’s weakness to Psychic and an overall team weakness to Ice calls for Blacephalon – the Fire/Ghost type from across the dimensions. Besides having ridiculous attack stats, Blacephalon boasts Beast Boost (try saying that 5 times fast), which keeps his SpA at ridiculous levels. Trick + Flame Orb leads to some nasty tricks as well. Blacephalon is another juggernaut of the team, with Mind Blown serving to decimate opponents that poses a serious, immediate threat (usually).

Well, that's it I guess. Any and all feedback is welcome. Hopefully it's not too terrible. I know it's almost certainly bad, but that's why I'm here - to get some feedback and improve as a teambuilder and player!

Thank you all!

(Also, thanks to @Retrospective for the idea to use Pokémon Shuffle icons)

Frankly, this team is all over the place and IDK where to start, so lets go chronologically.

First off, what purpose does Mega Amphy give in this other than generic rain beat stick? If you really wanted to play rain, please use Mega Swampert. Mega amphy is somewhat acceptable in TR *I dont see it, but W/E*, but anywhere else its just out of place. It should be removed, as it simply doesnt fit what rain is meant to fulfill.

Alright, to peli. The set is fine, but the addition of u-turn could really help out bringing out your slapsticks without issue. Replace defog with u-turn, and ice beam with scald, as relying to heavily on peli for defog is rly risky and should never happen unless the team cant find another fogger somehow. Scald is explanatory, strong stab that burns. Leaving home without it is like shooting yourself in the foot with a shotgun then running a marathon.

And now, the most painful part of this team. Florges. Oh me oh my it hurts me. First off, Florges is a questionable choice in ou anyways since clefable exists, but in RAIN??? Let me remind you synthesis only heals 1/3rd health in rain. Please remove it immediately for azumarill or magearna, I dont wanna look at that anymore.

Then to Lando-T. Why, why, why, why? Full incense doesnt make sense, why would Lando want to move LAST every time??? It loses any offensive purpose that way. The defensive ev's arent necessary, as Lando-T has intimidate so its almost always physically fat. Literally none of its moveset makes sense except u-turn and eq.

Toxicroak next! This was actually not as bad as I thought, and a pretty nifty addition to rain. Is your set good? No, but the idea is solid. Perhaps fightinium z with SD Gunk Drain Punch Sucker Punch could be decent?

Now to Blacephalon. It hurts. No speed investment makes this slot worthless. Not to mention its on RAIN. AGAIN. Rain reduces fires power by 1.5x, so why is blace on the team??? It serves no purpose.

Im not going to provide a team, as I only see two salvageable mons maximum. Check out the sample teams at https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usm-ou-sample-teams-v2-up.3638845/, or ask the OU room on showdown. You can also contact me on showdown @Namielle, or on Discord Gribblesnap#4342

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)