SM OU Mega Alakazam Balanced Team

Hi. First of all, I'm a veteran when it comes to Pokemon, but fairly new to competitive, so this is a "newbie" team I created with the help of Smogon Builds.
I've tested it in three battles, all of which I won, so I'm happy with it. However, I know there are lots of people who are way better than me at competitive Pokemon battling, so I'm posting here with the hope that someone dicides to help me out

The team itself is:

Spoon Man (Alakazam) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

This is the main attraction of the team, a Special Sweeper set on Mega Alakazam. Pretty basic stuff with obviously Psychic as its main attacking move, Recover for when I'm low on HP and Focus Blast and Shadow Ball as coverage moves. I usually don't open with it, instead I set up and kill the defogger, then try to sweep the enemy team with this killing machine.

Patrick's Pet (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

This set is mostly to deal with bulky Psychic types which Mega Alakazam struggles to kill. It's an offensive set as you can see, with only moves. Another option for his item could be Assault Vest, but I went with Choice Band because of his main function being spreading damage, not tanking. I also thought about making him my Stealth Rock setter, but that would mean neither Assault Vest nor Choice Band would be viable items, so maybe this could go well with Life Orb?

Chicago Bulls (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 84 HP / 248 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

An offensive build on one of the absolutely broken guardians of Alola. I mainly havve him to power up my Z-Move user (which is Heatran), with high physical moves and a Choice Band to boost his offensive capabilities even higher. There's not much else here other than explaining his moves so... Wood Hammer for the STAB + Grassy Terrain big damage, Horn Leech to get out of risky situations, Super Power to deal with dark types which are super effective against Mega Alakazam and Stone Edge to cover against big Flying type threats.

Big Spiky Ball (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Protect

A deffensive beast with max HP to support Leftovers and Leech Seed, which I use to set up and stall. I usually open with him using leech seed, then spamming protect every other turn while setting up spikes and using knock off. So yeah, a mainly support-ish deffensive pokemon with a high tankiness. Also, his 0 IVs on speed are to kinda "counter" Trick Room, but really they're just because his 20 base Speed reaaaaaaally isn't gonna surpass the vast majority of the other Pokemon.

Not A Bug (Heatran) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

My Z-Move user. I've gone for a grass type Z-Move with base Solar Beam due to the Grassy Terrain set up by Tapu Bulu. But that's not the only function Heatran has on the team, he also checks for most Steel Types who can pose a threat to Mega Alakazam. I've gone for Magma Storm instead of Lava Plume so I can trap an opponent to set up Stealth Rocks easily after I kill the Defogger. Earth Power is basically a coverage move.

Theon (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Explosion

Landorus-Therion is (from what I've heard) one of the best pivoting pokemon. I use him as a defogger, and while that would mean he's a bad Choice Scarf user, it was the best item I could think of so I would really appreciate a little help on that part. U-Turn is obvious on a pivoting Pokemon and Earthquake is basically his STAB move, while Explosion is some sort of "Last Resort" to use when i just can't handle an enemy Pokemon. I usually play him according to his ability, ad it can add up to be a major inconvenience to sweeping physical mons.

And that's basically the team, thanks in advance!

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
While Lando certainly is a very good mon (and useful to you as your only Ground immunity or hazard control), it doesn’t have great synergy with Bulu because of Grassy Terrain weakening its EQs. You might consider a different defogger in its place, though which one I couldn’t tell you. Otherwise, looks solid to me.

Looks like a good team, wouldn't know how it would synergize well if I were to use it but if you can make it work, go for it man.

Hello PixelVolt38 and welcome to Smogon!
Your team looks solid at first glance, but let me lend you some advice on some things that might be rough around the edges.

1. Choice Band -> Choice Scarf on Tapu-Bulu
You already have a Choice Band user in Tyranitar, so the team's capability to tear holes into the opposing team is already granted, in addition to that, Tapu-Bulu is a fearsome Choice Scarf user in OU, threatening many bulky offense teams struggling to keep up with both its damage output and its sustainability. Also, considering my following changes, Tapu-Bulu will grant the team decent speed control.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

2. Landorus-Therian -> Tornadus-Therian
While Landorus-Therian is an amazing Pokemon in its own right, its role as superglue in OU with its Choice Scarf set is not necessarily needed on this team, as the rest of your lineup is really solid already. And considering that Landorus-Therian is your main mean of hazard control, I figured that its fellow genie-trio-therian, Tornadus-Therian, might suit the team better here. However, more on that later.
Tornadus-Therian is a more dependable Defog user, not being choice-locked by an item, having solid passive recovery with its ability Regenerator and providing a safer answer to Kartana, which this team is really weak against. The set I will provide you acts as a defensive/support pivot, switching in and out, removing entry hazards and generating useful momentum. Knock Off severely punishes defensive Pokemon like Rotom-Wash, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Chansey, Skarmory, etc. which generally depend a lot on their item. Taunt prevents your opponent from using Defog on their own, supporting your Spikes setter Ferrothorn.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 84 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt

2.1 Choice Scarf -> Rocky Helmet on Landorus-Therian
Landorus-Therian's flagship Choice Scarf set might not be required here, but if you want to use Landorus-Therian over Tornadus-Therian due to personal preference, a more defensive Rocky Helmet set can do Tornadus-Therian's job too, just differently. This Landorus-Therian set is able to safely check neutral opposition better than Tornadus-Therian due to it being bulkier and its access to the ability Intimidate in addition to a more useful ice-ground coverage, however, Landorus-Therian's amazing typing might be its flaw here in the end, as it melts under ice type offense even faster than Tornadus-Therian, its water type weakness cuts into its performance under a rain matchup and a grass type neutrality instead of resistance makes Kartana seem even more threatening, especially under the potential grassy terrain your Tapu-Bulu provides. Also, Landorus-Therian is not able to outspeed and OHKO Mega-Medicham, which packs ice type coverage in return and threatens the team a lot. My personal advice is to use Tornadus-Therian.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

3. Knock Off -> Gyro Ball/Power Whip (/Protect -> corresponding counterpart to your first choice) on Ferrothorn
Your set really struggles to dish out damage on a defensive Pokemon known well for its respectable damage output, which is neither needed here, nor beneficial. Now that Knock Off support has been outsourced to your 6th team member, there is no reason for Ferrothorn to run it and it really appreciates the ability to either threaten fairy types like Tapu-Lele, Tapu-Bulu, Mega Diancie, etc. and other fast neutral targets like Mega Alakazam with Gyro Ball, or for example Rotom-Wash, Keldeo, Tyranitar, Tapu-Fini, etc. with Power Whip.
And although I like to run both moves on Ferrothorn, Protect can be really useful under a slower matchup, where scouting for moves is enormously valuable while also augmenting Leech Seed recovery.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

PS: if you have any questions about the sets or how to use them in detail, feel free to reply in this thread or just PM me, I only bite sometimes :]

While Lando certainly is a very good mon (and useful to you as your only Ground immunity or hazard control), it doesn’t have great synergy with Bulu because of Grassy Terrain weakening its EQs. You might consider a different defogger in its place, though which one I couldn’t tell you. Otherwise, looks solid to me.
Yeah, I can see that, I'll change landorus, it's a great idea, thanks!

Hello PixelVolt38 and welcome to Smogon!
Your team looks solid at first glance, but let me lend you some advice on some things that might be rough around the edges.

1. Choice Band -> Choice Scarf on Tapu-Bulu
You already have a Choice Band user in Tyranitar, so the team's capability to tear holes into the opposing team is already granted, in addition to that, Tapu-Bulu is a fearsome Choice Scarf user in OU, threatening many bulky offense teams struggling to keep up with both its damage output and its sustainability. Also, considering my following changes, Tapu-Bulu will grant the team decent speed control.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

2. Landorus-Therian -> Tornadus-Therian
While Landorus-Therian is an amazing Pokemon in its own right, its role as superglue in OU with its Choice Scarf set is not necessarily needed on this team, as the rest of your lineup is really solid already. And considering that Landorus-Therian is your main mean of hazard control, I figured that its fellow genie-trio-therian, Tornadus-Therian, might suit the team better here. However, more on that later.
Tornadus-Therian is a more dependable Defog user, not being choice-locked by an item, having solid passive recovery with its ability Regenerator and providing a safer answer to Kartana, which this team is really weak against. The set I will provide you acts as a defensive/support pivot, switching in and out, removing entry hazards and generating useful momentum. Knock Off severely punishes defensive Pokemon like Rotom-Wash, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Chansey, Skarmory, etc. which generally depend a lot on their item. Taunt prevents your opponent from using Defog on their own, supporting your Spikes setter Ferrothorn.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 84 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt

2.1 Choice Scarf -> Rocky Helmet on Landorus-Therian
Landorus-Therian's flagship Choice Scarf set might not be required here, but if you want to use Landorus-Therian over Tornadus-Therian due to personal preference, a more defensive Rocky Helmet set can do Tornadus-Therian's job too, just differently. This Landorus-Therian set is able to safely check neutral opposition better than Tornadus-Therian due to it being bulkier and its access to the ability Intimidate in addition to a more useful ice-ground coverage, however, Landorus-Therian's amazing typing might be its flaw here in the end, as it melts under ice type offense even faster than Tornadus-Therian, its water type weakness cuts into its performance under a rain matchup and a grass type neutrality instead of resistance makes Kartana seem even more threatening, especially under the potential grassy terrain your Tapu-Bulu provides. Also, Landorus-Therian is not able to outspeed and OHKO Mega-Medicham, which packs ice type coverage in return and threatens the team a lot. My personal advice is to use Tornadus-Therian.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

3. Knock Off -> Gyro Ball/Power Whip (/Protect -> corresponding counterpart to your first choice) on Ferrothorn
Your set really struggles to dish out damage on a defensive Pokemon known well for its respectable damage output, which is neither needed here, nor beneficial. Now that Knock Off support has been outsourced to your 6th team member, there is no reason for Ferrothorn to run it and it really appreciates the ability to either threaten fairy types like Tapu-Lele, Tapu-Bulu, Mega Diancie, etc. and other fast neutral targets like Mega Alakazam with Gyro Ball, or for example Rotom-Wash, Keldeo, Tyranitar, Tapu-Fini, etc. with Power Whip.
And although I like to run both moves on Ferrothorn, Protect can be really useful under a slower matchup, where scouting for moves is enormously valuable while also augmenting Leech Seed recovery.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

PS: if you have any questions about the sets or how to use them in detail, feel free to reply in this thread or just PM me, I only bite sometimes :]
Wow, thank you so much for answering. I can see your point on kartana being really dangerous to this team so yeah, thanks a lot, and I'll be taking this message into account!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)