Medicham Team ( Need some help )

Hello everyone ! This is my first RMT so I think I will need a lot of help ! ( Sorry for my English, it's just my second language... )
Since X and Y release, I didn't see a lot of team using Mega-Medicham. So I decided to test her and to prove that she is not bad at all. After some testing, this is what I have :

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability : Protean
Evs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

So this is my lead : a very very fast frog. Actually, I love using greninja as a taunter. It helps me to keep hazards and status away so it has great synergy with the rest of my team. Surf and Ice Beam are classics and quite good coverage. I hesitated a long time about the fourth move. It was Spikes at first but I didn't use it too much as I often couldn't set more than one layer so I finally give U-turn a try and kept it since it helped me to kill other Greninjas. Timid because I want to outspeed as much things as I can and Focus Sash because it allows me to taunt easier.
The only problem that I have with Greninja : Prankster Klefki or Sableye with Thunder Wave for example. If you have an idea to deal with them...

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability : Gale Wings
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

As Greninja isn't a real revenge killer in my team, I needed an other one. And this guy is perfect for this job. Priority Brave Bird, Flare Blitz for powerful STAB, Roost or Swords Dance when I can. I choose Adamant rather than Jolly because of priority and I wanted as much power as I could have on it. Pretty classic so I won't speak too much about him.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability : Harvest
Evs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Curse
- Substitute

And to complete my FWG core : Trevenant. This guy is quite fantastic : I can easily set a sub on a special attacker and then Leech Seed my opponent while healing with Berries. I love Curse on him because it helps him to kill easily a threat to my team, creating an opportuntity to do a huge Medicham sweep. But I'm still not sure about Horn Leech. Should I use Phantom Force or Shadow Claw instead ?

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability : Poison Heal
Evs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Trevenant is a special wall, so I needed a physical one. I decided to use Gliscor because of the Toxic Stall possibility it gives to me. A special attacker in front of him ? I switch to Trevenant and set a sub.
I didn't want to be walled by other Gliscors so I put Ice Fang on his moveset and give him 12 Evs Speed. But after adding Gliscor, I thought that both my wall was weak to Ice type moves. So I need something that can take Ice Beam easily :

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Ability : Levitate
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Rest

With this little guy, my weakness to Ice is forgotten. This set is classic but very useful so I kept it. Rotom has also great synergy with Greninja because together they are a little Volt-Turn core. WoW allows me to stop physical sweeper very easily and Rest gives Rotom a little more stay power. Having WoW and Toxic in the same team allows me to stall and to help Medicham to OHKO big threats.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability : Pure Power
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

And now, the monster, the star of the show : Mega-Medicham. This thing is so underestimated ! If I have killed all its counters, I can say gg to my opponent. The moves are chosen to have the better coverage as I could but I have to test some other options like Bullet Punch and High Jump Kick. Jolly Nature because I have to outspeed if I want to kill with my little defenses.

This team has been quite effective on Pokemon Showdown but I know it could be a lot more powerful ! Thank you for reading and don't hesitate to help me !

Last edited:
Hi there. Just a few thoughts:

If you're using U-turn on Greninja, I'd recommend a Naive or Hasty nature to avoid the Attack stat nerf. If maintaining his meager defenses is a priority for you, then I'd recommend Spikes in his last slot, since you lack entry hazards.

You mentioned not knowing how to deal with stallish Prankster users like Klefki. Have you considered a Choice Specs set on Rotom-W with Trick? That would enable you to cripple at least one thing on the other team, and Rotom-W is immune to Thunder Wave anyway. I'm not sure if this would damage your synergy within the defensive core, but here is an example:

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Ability : Levitate
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Trick

Thanks !

I will definitely give a Hasty Nature to Greninja. I just forgot to change it when I put U-turn instead of Spikes.

For Rotom, I prefer it with more defense. However, Trick seems to be a good way to take care of Prankster users. I will try it and tell you after !

After some test, I find my team is quite weak to Cloyster. If my opponent manages to set a Shell Smash safely, I have a lot of difficulty to kill him. Cloyster outspeeds nearly everything in my team and even Talonflame can't kill him with Brave Bird. My only hope is to curse him with Trevenant and wait ( if he decides not to switch Cloyster out ). Do you have idea to counter it ?

A good cloyster counter is Ferrothorn, and I think you can replace Rotom-Wash with it. Unlike rotom, Ferrothorn can easily wall the infamous Shell Smash Cloyster and Barbanacle. Put leech seed and/or toxic, and there is a high chance the opponent will switch out to a ferrothorn counter like Rotom-Heat or any fire type. In that case, switch in to Gliscor.

Overall, your team is really good! I don't see any holes needed to be patched here.

Thank you for your suggestion Skyderp !

Ferrothorn seems to be a good idea to counter Cloyster ! But I don't want to replace Rotom-W with it because I will be very weak to Talonflame after.
But I will test Ferrothorn instead of Trevenant since the tree didn't help me so much the last games I played.

By the way, I tested Trick on Rotom-Wash and it was not as good as expected. Actually, a lot of people were waiting for me to use it and switch out their Klefki or other Pokemon which didn't want to have a Choice item to something which already have one. And Rotom is for me more a defensive Poke than a special sweeper. So I decided to keep him like that !

I have also discovered that it's not only Cloyster that is difficult to deal with but all the ( quite ) bulky water like Starmie, Gastrodon, Quagsire... Idea about it ?

Bump ! No one to help me ? I just have been sweeped by a mega-pinsir. And I discovered my team is quite weak to Stealth Rock ( 50% on Talonflame and breaking Greninja's Sash is quite annoying... ). But I don't see a Defoger or a Spinner fit in my team. Do you have idea about it ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)