Me and Bovice 'bout to run train (Top 25 and rising)

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
After testing dozens of teams since Pokemon Black and White were released, I think I've come up with a truly splendid one. This is my first RMT in a long, long time. I've peaked at #20 on the leaderboard with this team and expect it to go even further.

Win/loss record: 70:2

Teambuilding Process:
My favorite Pokemon got a much appreciated ability from B/W and I've been abusing it on nearly every one of my teams since. I present to you the best lead in the game right now.

I knew I wanted to use Dragonite as either a bulky Dragon Dancer or a lead. After deciding upon using Sandstorm, I thought it would be best to use as a lead.

Sandstorm has always been popular, but with the all the new additions from B/W it has become even more of a force, especially with other teams using weather because they're so dependent on it. Next, I needed something to abuse Tyranitar's ability.

Yes, perhaps the best Pokemon of this generation, Doryuuzu was my choice of a physical sweeper. But who else can fit in?

Dun dun duh dun. The land shark, Garchomp. This guy is bad-ass. He was banned last generation, but he's not anymore! If you're not using him, I don't know why. The four Pokemon I have above are my core, however there are some pretty common weaknesses that they shared that I had to address.

Adding Burungeru to my team immediately knocks out a bunch of holes in my team. I desperately needed an ice resist. Check. Needed a fight resist and got better: an immunity to it. One of the things that I looked over, but have really come to need is Burungeru's immunity to water. Yeah, I really needed that too.

I would have preferred a Ground immunity, but I settled on a resistance. So far, I've not been disappointed. Birijion is the missing puzzle piece that keeps everything else in place. He resists grass, water, and ground types that might otherwise give me trouble.

Going onward..

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Quiet
Multi-Scale
252 Attack, 252 Special Attack, 6 Speed
~Draco Meteor
~Fire Blast
~Earthquake
~Extremespeed

This guy hits like a meteor...or an earthquake. Take your pick. Maybe you weren't impressed with Anti-Lead Nite from last generation. I wasn't. This generation, he's way better. At full health, Multi-Scale gives Dragonite twice as much Defenses as usual. Unless you're getting hit from a STAB Ice Beam, you're pretty much in the clear to survive the first hit and then obliterate something with Draco Meteor. Fire Blast and Earthquake take care of what Draco Meteor won't, while Extremespeed picks off weakened Pokemon before they can attack me.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Brave
Sandstream
252 Attack, 252 Special Attack, 6 Speed
~Stone Edge
~Pursuit
~Fire Blast
~Thunder Wave

He didn't get anything new this generation, but he's still the villain he's always been. The moveset is unorthodox, but most effective for his purpose. He's not here to sweep, just fuck some shit up. He is the most important member of this team, not just because he helps out Dory and Chomp, but because he gets rid of Sun, Hail, and Rain after Dragonite destroys the source. Using this guy is simple: find something that doesn't like Tar, and either Thunderwave the switch in or Pursuit as they leave. Everyone things their Nattorei is safe coming in, but they get one shotted. Tyranitar generally nets at least one kill and cripples another Mon each game.

Doryuuzu @ Balloon
Jolly
Sand Throw
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Def
~Swords Dance
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~X-Scissor

I feel like very few people actually play Dory as he should be. Either they bring him out too early or they try and set up at the wrong time. One of my gametime priorities is to save this guy until he's needed. Earthquake is simply devastating to anything that doesn't resist it. While I would prefer Stone Edge over Rock Slide, the weaker move has come in handy on getting flinches, which is great when you're outpacing everything with Dory's 604 Speed. Swords Dance is to boost my Attack to Uberdom, while X-Scissor is really only used to catch the oocasional Lati's.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
Sand Veil
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense
~Earthquake
~Dragon Claw
~Stone Edge
~Outrage

This beast does my cleaning up. Earthquake is an altogether fantastic STAB move, especially coupled with Dragon STAB. I use Dragon Claw to KO weakened foes. Stone Edge, which I have yet to ever use, is for coverage when Earthquake and Dragon Claw just won't do. Outrage has got to be my favorite move in the game. Garchomp generally gets at least 2 kills a game. I would say that I end 2/3 of my games using Outrage on my opponent's final 2 Pokemon.

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Calm
Water Absorb
252 HP, 248 Special Defense, 8 Defense
~Boiling Water
~Ice Beam
~Recover
~Acid Armor

This puffy jelly fish takes Special hits like a champ, recovers them off, then... does what it can. And yes, it has Acid Armor. Boiling Water is an amazing new addition and can occasionally status my opponent while also acting as a good enough STAB move. Ice Beam because people like to bring Garchomp in on me. Now, why Acid Armor? There are many instances when I find that Burungeru's Defense just isn't cutting it and I can't rely on Boiling Water's 30% chance to burn. When I have a free turn, I will generally Acid Armor just for the hell of it to prepare me for the next turn. It's actually been doing quite well. If anything, I would like a more defensively oriented set to use in the occasions that I don't have an extra turn to Acid Armor.

Birijion @ Leftovers
Jolly
Justice Heart
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense
~Swords Dance
~Leaf Blade
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge

I've really been liking this Pokemon despite its seemingly lackluster Attack. I find plenty of oppurtunities to Swords Dance and I usually attack before my oponent can for a clean KO. He really shines coming in on walls and setting up. Leaf Blade takes care or opposing Burungeru and Close Combat get Nattorei. Stone Edge KO's Salamence even after the Intimidate. He's also my answer to Doryuuzu, who won't KO with anything, and I can hit back for the KO. Depending on my opponent's lead, I will sometimes switch him to lead before the match to make sure I grab the momentum. Thought he is doing great, I'm wondering how Breloom would do in this moveslot with priority STAB in Mach Punch and a higher Attack. Suggestions?

So that's my team. Thank you for looking over it and I welcome any comments or suggestions you have!

Threats: Of the two teams I have lost against, one was to being AFK, and the other to CM Rankurusu. That really fucked my shit up bad.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think I might have been the CM Rankurusu.

Anyway this is a pretty solid team you got. One thing you could try is too put enough speed Ev's on Tyranitar so as to outspeed CB Scizor(Not sure on the exact number). Sleep is also extremely beneficial in this metagame so I would recomend at least trying out a Breloom set. The one I use is:

244 Hp/252 Atk/12 Spe Adamant
Poison Heal@Toxic Orb

Spore
Mach Punch
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb

I have found that speed Ev's are really unnecesary and thae added bulk could really help. You would also be able to spore Rank if you needed too. Another thing you could try is putting Crunch on Tyranitar over most likely Thunder Wave. Obviously if that isn't working out you can switch it but I think that you should probably give Crunch a try. Good job with the team.

Edit: You could also try out either Fire Blast, Fire Fang, or HP Ice in Garchomps last slot if you fell Stone Edge isn't cutting it.

Well, aside from Burungeru and your, I'm assuming, suicide Dragonite your team has trouble with Roopushin. You might have Acid Armor but all you're doing is allowing it to max its Bulk Ups, you activate Guts with Boiling Water, and then you get axed by Payback or Stone Edge. You can stall with Recover but Stone Edge will get a crit eventually, Very risky as your only counter if you ask me. Might I suggest a Gliscor over Virijion who walls Roopushin and can SD sweep as well if need be? If not, Rankurusu or Latias also work really well.

This is obviously a great team, and I definitely agree with Jaroda. Roopushin gives you hard work and I'm surprised you didn't see more on the ladder. Gliscor would also give you a solid counter to Doryuuzu, who gives your team some trouble (Especially given how common he is). I would run more SpDef EVs on Tyranitar to deal with Shandera, Burenguru, Starmie and Lati@s better. Maybe a set like this:

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 40HP / 136Atk / 120SpAtk / 216SpDef
Moves:
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

This will give you a good check to Specs Latios and Latias (Your team really hates to take Dragon Type moves), Shandera and Burungeru.

Great team and good luck.

Great team!
Only thing I have to say is that I found myself getting my Doryuuzu getting picked off by Brelooms and Roobushins I forgot to pick off earlier more than anything else. I would suggest trying a Choptle Berry instead of Ballon on Dory. At least to see which you prefer

I like this team (I am a big fan of weather) but I have to say (like many people already quoted) This team is Roobushin weak (Or anyother Physical wall for that matter). You also seem to be relying a lot on Burungeru especially against the aforementioned Roobushin. You may want to switch something to help deal with more physical walling threats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)