May the fires ROAR in the furnaces of creation!

Fire. On earth, it is quite possibly the most destructive substance that can be created and controlled (I'm excepting weapons grade plutonium), and yet in the end it is uncontrollable when it becomes to powerful. It's been a tool of creation throughout human history, and also a tool of destruction.

It's also been a starter type since Gen1, and by far the most criminally underrepresented of the three. With the SR weakness it brings, as well as three desperate weaknesses, despite the power the type possesses, it sees powerful threats relegated to lower tiers. In the late days of Gen4, in NU it was a common teambuild to have four fire types, to break down the opponents resistances and win. This is a hearkening to those days.

Knuckles (Typhlosion) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

To those of you who remember those old days of firey dominance in Gen4 NU, this should be a blast from the past. Typhlosion leads, used to fire Eruptions around and blast holes in teams. The moves are both standard and obvious, as they're pretty much all a Typhlosion can have. I WANT to add Thunderpunch or Earthquake somewhere to handle "surprise" Lanturns and Slowkings, but these moves do enough for me.

Magnum PI (Magmortar) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 24 HP / 232 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Magmortar should also be a familiar sight. Blessed with an amazing power and movepool, Expert Belt Magmortar is what the name suggests - a cannon, massive and poised at the opponent's team. Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast is a pointed choice, as unlike the rest of my team, when Magmortar is down to using his fire move, it's usually a job where accuracy is required - Fire Blast doesn't endear me every time with that 85% accuracy, and a team full of it is crazy.

SingleMalt (Moltres) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Moltres, the third bird of the first trio of legendaries, and the second bird of the three in terms of power. Oddly enough, his goal when he comes out boils down to one of two things - destroying opposing Slowkings and Lanturns with HP Grass or Hurricane, and then taking down as much as it can with Hurricane (or occasionally Fire Blast) before dying a death diginified for a phoenix. Since it hits with the force of an atomic weapon, he can be forgiven for not needing much tact. Or defense.

Entietam (Entei) @ Flame Plate
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Entei, on the other hand, very much likes his defense, as it means he gets more time to blast holes through the physical walls in their teams. How a nearly perfect EVd Entei could have come from the event, I'm not sure, but Pokémon Showdown allows it, so... HP Grass is strictly there for Kabutops, Omastar, Rhydon, and other such scum that play massive resistances and physical defense, as it can nearly OHKO most of those. Standard, really.

High Druid (Druddigon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 HP / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

The only new addition to my team as of yet, Druddigon was suggested because it adds the offensive presence to beat multiple threats like Slowking and Lanturn. Only time will tell if this dragon's place on this team is warrented. (and if I will get a picture for it)

HitManJackie (Hitmonchan) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Drain Punch
- ThunderPunch

Everyone's favorite haymaker hits the field, and while the move choice may be a questionable one, it's also my easiest to explain. A fire team NEEDS a Rapid Spinner, and needs a reliable one - defensively, Hitmonchan can do that, and Foresight provides reliability in getting the spin off. (I've also used it to hit Spiritomb super effectively, but that's a different matter). As for Thunderpunch, I need SOMETHING to take out Slowking, and even if it's only getting it in range for Moltres, Hitmonchan can do that with Thunderpunch. Unless they have CM and Psyshock. Then I'm screwed anyway.

So, that's the team.

THREATS:

SLOWKING: Oh ye Arceuss Slowking. That thing can rip through my team, and depending on the moveset it can do it with me not even having much of a chance of fighting back. If it has something like Calm Mind/Psyshock/Surf/Slack Off... not that I've seen one like that, but they could exist... normally, I sac Hitmonchan on them, and then finish them with Moltres, but they're so annoyingly COMMON that it's hard to do even that!

LANTURN: Even worse occasionally than Slowking. Fortunately, they can be slowed in single combat by Steelix and Hitmonchan, and if push comes to shove I can hit them neutrally or super effectively with all of my fire types (and they don't take hits as well as Slowbro). Still a high level threat.

MUNCHLAX: Can be VERY ANNOYING, because most of my team hates it. Hitmonchan and Steelix make it more of a nonissue, but it remains annoying.

NIDOQUEEN: Any opponent that uses paralysis support with this is a threat. Not seen anyone yet, but considering this thing can easily and commonly run an SE move for every member of my team barring the one that can't touch it... yeah.

Hey nice team, I'm always a fan of being bold and going with a creative team. But that's not an excuse to try to make the team as good as possible. I think the main problem is your lack of a reliable way to counter water types, especially Slowking as you said. Now this may seem like an odd suggestion, but I'm gonna recommend Cacturne. It has immunities to both Water and Psychic attacks, as well as Grass STAB to deal with water types. Completely shuts down any set up Slowking, as they usually only have STABs. It can also use Substitute to block any statuses coming its way. Here's a set I think should work:

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break/Low Kick/Swords Dance
- Substitute/Swords Dance

I would recommend replacing one of your Fire types with it, but of course it'd be understandable if you don't want to do that.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya Mattman!

I like the concept that your trying to work with, and it definitely has the chance to really shine because RU has a lot of powerful Fire-types, but there are some problems that could be patched.

First, I suggest changing the EV spread on Moltres to 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe; Moltres needs to be as fast as possible. I understand wanting to have Moltres live as long as possible, but that can't be the case due to being Stealth Rock weak. The difference between invested and uninvested timid is a large margain; the added Speed allows Moltres to hit so many Pokemon, such as Nidoqueen, Rotom-formes, Mesprit.

Second, replace Flamethrower on Magmortar to Fire Blast, you need as much power as you can get, because you have four Fire-types and any breathing room for the opponent can spell trouble.

Third, I suggest changing the item on Entei to Flame Plate. Flame Plate increases the power of Flare Blitz, but doesn't detract from its bulk, nor makes Entei stuck on one attack.

Fourth, I find Steelix to hamper your offensive potential or momentum. Sure it has great defenses and can set up Stealth Rock, but it hits like a weakling compared to your Fire-types; it doesn't help that Slowking can take it out too. I suggest Druddigon to replace Steelix. Druddigon has the resistances from its Dragon typing and can set up Stealth Rock, but the cherry is how it can handle Slowking. Druddigon can comfortably take on Slowking and pound it with Outrage or Sucker Punch, but watch out for a unlucky burn. Also, with it low Speed it doesn't mind paralysis and can take down annoying Lanturns. Additionally, Druddigon still has an offensive presence to force the opponent's hand. You do lose the massive physical defense that Steelix brings, but Druddigon has--comparatively--alright bulk, and brings more to the table.

Druddigon@Leftovers
Rough Skin | Adamant
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Lastly, I'm highly reluctant on leaving Hitmonchan on the team, but also replacing it. Hitmonchan does guarantee Stealth Rock gone, but it basically dies thereafter to a good player, and they can set SR again, but the team does need Stealth Rock off to function. I think Kabutops is a good Pokemon to also look at. Kabutops can take down any spinblocker with a +2 Stone Edge and brings priority to the table to help the team. It can also hit Slowking and Lanturn on their lower defense with Stone Edge.

Kabutops@Life Orb
Weak Armor | Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Good luck~

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break/Low Kick/Swords Dance
- Substitute/Swords Dance

I would recommend replacing one of your Fire types with it, but of course it'd be understandable if you don't want to do that.
Problem is, that gets rid of the point of the team. While it would be nice to have a fire type, there are a lot of battles where three just isn't enough.

yonko7 said:
First, I suggest changing the EV spread on Moltres to 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe; Moltres needs to be as fast as possible. I understand wanting to have Moltres live as long as possible, but that can't be the case due to being Stealth Rock weak. The difference between invested and uninvested timid is a large margain; the added Speed allows Moltres to hit so many Pokemon, such as Nidoqueen, Rotom-formes, Mesprit.
Very true! Though I never really had a problem with speed, I can see it losing me multiple battles, and the bulk never really won me any.

Second, replace Flamethrower on Magmortar to Fire Blast, you need as much power as you can get, because you have four Fire-types and any breathing room for the opponent can spell trouble.
In the beta for the team, I had Fire Blast. I removed it after multiple matches nearly were lost because it missed. Fire Blast on three team members without a Flamethrower amongst them is dangerous for me, because misses stack up, and as you said I can't afford to give the foe breathing room. Perhaps Moltres should get Flamethrower and Magmortar Fire Blast?

Third, I suggest changing the item on Entei to Flame Plate. Flame Plate increases the power of Flare Blitz, but doesn't detract from its bulk, nor makes Entei stuck on one attack.
Fair point. Doing just this.

Fourth, I find Steelix to hamper your offensive potential or momentum. Sure it has great defenses and can set up Stealth Rock, but it hits like a weakling compared to your Fire-types; it doesn't help that Slowking can take it out too. I suggest Druddigon to replace Steelix. Druddigon has the resistances from its Dragon typing and can set up Stealth Rock, but the cherry is how it can handle Slowking. Druddigon can comfortably take on Slowking and pound it with Outrage or Sucker Punch, but watch out for a unlucky burn. Also, with it low Speed it doesn't mind paralysis and can take down annoying Lanturns. Additionally, Druddigon still has an offensive presence to force the opponent's hand. You do lose the massive physical defense that Steelix brings, but Druddigon has--comparatively--alright bulk, and brings more to the table.
This... is a good idea! This could easily work. I'll do it.

(and burn is probably the easiest thing to handle, because it's a free switch in for FOUR OF MY TEAM MEMBERS.)

Lastly, I'm highly reluctant on leaving Hitmonchan on the team, but also replacing it. Hitmonchan does guarantee Stealth Rock gone, but it basically dies thereafter to a good player, and they can set SR again, but the team does need Stealth Rock off to function. I think Kabutops is a good Pokemon to also look at. Kabutops can take down any spinblocker with a +2 Stone Edge and brings priority to the table to help the team. It can also hit Slowking and Lanturn on their lower defense with Stone Edge.
While I like the idea, I'm... not so sure on this one. I'll have to test Kabutops before I switch it in full time. Hitmonchan has given me a lot of power in the past, and odds are if my opponent loses SR just once, when they switch in their rocker I switch in Moltres or Typhlosion and destroy their team. So consistency is valued. But this may work.

TOTAL CHANGES:

MOLTRES: Max HP to max Speed
ENTEI: Leftovers to Flame Plate

to

Druddigon@Leftovers
Rough Skin | Adamant
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

ss234

bop.
Hi there! This looks like a pretty cool team you have here, and fire spam can work very effectively against teams which really on kabutops / druddigon / slowking to counter them.

I think that you should definitely go with yonko7's suggestions. Kabutops over Hitmonchan especially seems like an excellent idea, as grass types that annihilate kabutops, such as rotom-c and sceptile, as dealt with very nicely by entei and magmortar, and it actually beats ghost types, 1HKO'ing tomb at +2 with stone edge and 2HKO'ing rotom as it switches in with stone edge and aqua jet. Druddigon also fits really nicely, giving you a solid water resist / slowking check as well as a solid counter to sceptile, which can potentially beat you if it uses HP rock as your fire types are all hit super-effectively by HP rock.

tbh scarf typhlosion is a terrible pokemon. Even without sr up, eruption just doesn't hit hard enough, and it's severe weakness to priority attacks from kabutops, absol etc. makes it very unreliable as a late game cleaner.

I think that you're team would benefit hugely by using Scarf Rotom-C over Typhlosion. As I already said, scarf typhlosion is a rather bad set. Rotom-C on the other hand, patches up your huge weakness to +2 Kabutops(can set-up on choice locked Moltres with ease as well as typhlosion and blasts straight past druddigon with +2 stone edge). Although you do lose out on a fire type, Typhlosion was taking advantage of the holes made by your fire type wallbreakers, and rotom-mow also takes advantage of this, as entei / magmortar wear down druddigon very nicely for a rotom-c clean, and also take full advantage of the pokemon that give rotom-mow trouble(cryogonal, tangrowth, lilligant etc.). Finally, Rotom-C helps a ton against slowking, 2HKO'ing with a super effective thunderbolt which your team really really struggles with atm, as nothing can really switch in on scald(drudd risks getting burnt) and entei and typhlosion are flat out walled. Rotom-Mow also gives you an excellent answer to Rhydon, who can tank hits from p much everything on your team apart from HP grass on moltres and magmortar(which are easy to take advantage of).

Here is the Rotom-C set:
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

GL and I hope I helped with the team! It looks really innovative and seems to do very well against both defensive teams and offensive teams, as the combination of specs moltres / magmortar / entei eliminate offensive fire checks very easily, and moltres and magmortar are excellent stallbreakers in their own right. Specs Moltres is also a very godly poke.

I agree with Silvershadow, you have to have something to atleast take scalds on your team, as of now literally nothing wants to switch in on one.

have you considered seismitoad? It resists head smash and stone edge from aeordactyl and aggron and can set up stealth rock, absorb scald, be immune to volt switch, and can sort of handle nidoqueen. As for spinners, all of the RU spinners suck except for kabutops and cryogonal so try out kabutops.

I think you have put together a nice team here, but I propose a different core that gives you FWG. It also lets you keep entry hazards and a spinner. This duo would replace Hitmonchan and Druddigon.

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Waterfall
-Rapid Spin
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge

This keeps the offensive nature of the team, lets you spin, and lets you hit the Rock-types that give your team a lot of trouble. This is basically standard Kabutops, but it works outside of rain.

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: OVergrow
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Nature: Careful/Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Curse

This is your rocks supplier, your water counter, and your physical tank. It also has great coverage that your team badly needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)