~Mastering the Perils of Fire and Sand~ ~Dual Weather Team~

Introduction: Hey guys, I was messing around with some old Sunny Day Teams and tried to come up with something competitive. The weather nerf sure weakened this team, but it's still capable of overwhelming the opponent just like in the old days. I gathered some information from various sources and put together a team. Hopefully I can get some helpful pointers from all of you! :)

Let's get to the team.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Mega Charizard Y is just ridiculously broken and OP. He pretty much steamrolls the strongest things in the game at the moment and only has counterplays to something faster than it. This is my Wallbreaker, which usually hits through everything like a truck. Almost every Poke gets OHKO or 2HKO'd by Fire Blast if they don't resist it x4. I'm using 0 Atk IVs, because of the Foul Play ~ Swagger pokemons, who usually troll me a lot. Timid Nature was suggested to me by Srn9130, because the Metagame is very fast and Charizard needs the maximum speed that it can get.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

I needed a bulky pokemon that can defog away Stealth Rocks, because they hurt this team really bad.
Mandibuzz benefits so much from being on a Sun team, as troublesome threats like Scizor are checked numerous times over. Mandibuzz also helps the team greatly by being a fantastic answer to Stall and a great Pokemon against strong physical sweepers. Mandibuzz truly is a fantastic Pokemon, and really shines on a Sun team, and I am surprised it has not seen more usage in this wonderful weather.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Even before Assault Vest hit the stores across Kalos, Tyranitar had excellent special bulk to work with, being able to survive many special attacks, super effective or not. However, with Assault Vest's release, Tyranitar is undeniably the most effective and burliest user of it in OU. Not only does it get increased special bulk from Assault Vest, Tyranitar's bulk is further increased by the sandstorm it summons. This means it instantly has more than twice as much of its original Special Defense stat instantaneously, being blessed with an astronomical Special Defense stat of 738. When accompanied with Tyranitar's base 100 HP, it's safe to say that nothing can OHKO it with their special attacks. To put this into perspective, consider the following damage calculations:

• 252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 248/252+ Assault Vest Tyranitar: 59.5 - 71.4%
  • 252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248/252+ Assault Vest Tyranitar: 50.6 - 60.5%
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 248/252+ Assault Vest Tyranitar: 33.7 - 40.1%
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Dialga Flash Cannon vs. 248/252+ Assault Vest Tyranitar: 37.7 - 45.1%
Even with that overwhelming specially defensive potential, this behemoth of a Pokémon is by no means a sitting duck. Claiming a superb base 134 Attack stat, a workable base 95 Special Attack stat, and an enormous offensive movepool to play with, Tyranitar is able to maintain offensive momentum whilst brushing off Draco Meteors, Thunderbolts, Ice Beams, and Earth Powers as easily as the physically impenetrable RODAN. Furthermore, it holds the title of arguably the most effective Pursuit trapper in the game, Tyranitar easily pulverizes nearly any Ghost- and Psychic-type, as well as dealing great damage to Pokémon neutral to Pursuit in general. Earthquake is a great move which easily kills opposing Tyranitars and Heatrans, who annoy me a lot.

Aegislash (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
IVs: 0 Spd
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
I believe this to be Aegislash's greatest set so far. It best allows Aegislash to abuse its signature ability to great effect. Aegislash's unique typing and amazing bulk allows it to switch into many situations. From there it can threaten physical attackers with King's Shield. Due to his low speed, Aegislash will first take damage in his bulky shield forme, before transforming into blade forme to deal out incredibly strong Sacred Swords or Iron Heads. Overall a great Pokemon in this team. You may ask.. Weakness Policy and 0 Speed IVs? Yes, because I can get the Weakness Policy effect by battling opposing Aegislashes and then overwhelm them with Aegislash's great power!

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

The MVP of the team. This thing is an incredibly effective revenge killer and offensive pivot. With great base stats, outstanding coverage, Download, and access to U-turn, I couldn't ask any more of this thing (though higher base Speed would be nice).
• U-turn: STAB and scouting; basically the bread and butter of any Scarf Genesect. With a Download boost, this actually has potential to do some serious damage. +1 kills off Latios and does work on Tyranitar, two big threats to my team.
• Flamethrower: The first move of three-type coverage. Sun + Download can pack quite a punch. Hits Steels and other stuff I need dead.
• Ice Beam: Second of the coverage attacks, this lets me revenge-kill +1 Dragonite, who is a royal pain in the ass for my team. Again, it's great coverage, and a timely freeze can spell the end for opponents sometimes.
• Thunderbolt: For Water-types and other such things. Just like the other two coverage moves, it gives Genesect rich movepool diversity and allows it to scare off Keldeo, Talonflame, among other things.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
When wearing an Assault Vest, Conkeldurr is equipped with an excellent set of tools that differentiate itself from other Fighting-types in the XY metagame. With this piece of army clothing, Conkeldurr reaches an excellent defensive spread of 351 HP/227 Def/343 SpD alongside a whopping 416 Attack stat, which allows it to smash enemies left and right with its concrete pillars. Its now above average Special Defense helps Conkeldurr tank special attacks it was never able to in BW, such as Heatran's Fire Blast, Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, and Thundurus-T's Thunderbolt. This ogre is also one of the few Assault Vest users capable of recovering lost health through the use of Drain Punch. Not only that, but Conkeldurr's pitiful Speed is accommodated for with Mach Punch, making it a great revenge killer as well. Pair these moves with Ice Punch, which takes out common Pokémon resistant to Fighting such as Landorus-T and Gliscor, and Conkeldurr finds itself laughing hysterically as the opponent struggles to tank its trauma-inducing punches. Conkeldurr is not even hampered by status effects, notably Will-O-Wisp, thanks to its Guts ability, allowing it to act as a reliable status absorber for offensive teams. Finally, Conkeldurr makes fantastic use of the Knock Off buff, obliterating the likes of Jellicent and Gengar with it, while hindering the effectiveness of physical walls.

Importable:
HTML:
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Aegislash (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
IVs: 0 Spd
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
This is a pretty cool sun team you have going on here, I really like it.
From what I'm seeing, this team aims to wall break with zard y (excellent choice) and open up a sweep with venusaur or talonflame, depending on the opponent's team. Latias and ninetales are there to provide some bulk and hit back. Foretress is just there to spin hazards. Cool.

However, there are some flaws I see in this team nonetheless. First off, I don't understand what your latias is trying to do. If you want to do damage, you should go with a Life Orb variant and max speed and special attack. If you want a defensive latias, you should move the evs from sp. att to speed. Either way, a latias should always be max speed timid imo, especially because you have defog. But you should decide whether you want latias to be offensive or defensive, a mix of both isn't too efficient.
Next, you should really go timid on zard y, he needs all the speed he can get. 100 base speed isn't that much in gen when its unboosted, and trust me, 159 base sp. att isn't going anywhere. Go timid.
As for venusaur, he needs Life Orb. He is just begging for extra power, because sometimes you won't have the chance to growth, and even at +2 you need the power imo. Complementing this, you should change energy ball--> Giga Drain. Though energy ball got a buff from 80 to 90, you still need the recovery of giga drain. After all, venusaur is your main water check. Next, I would recommend you go Hp fire-->Earthquake. Honestly, your team has plenty of Fire attacks, and that makes you even weaker to sp. def heatran. By running earthquake, you lure in those pesky heatran to only OHKO with earthquake, which opens up charizard y and talonflame to terrorize the opponent even further.
Last, I question your foretress's moveset a lot. I don't really see why you have toxic spikes and talonflame easily handles pink blobs. You should just replace that with Stealth Rocks. I question hp ice as since you don't outspeed, a sub toxic gliscor (the most common one) still wins. I don't think there will be issues as long as you spam fire blast with zard y. Normally, I would just tell you to replace it entirely with an excadrill, but I can see that it plays the important role of a pivot on your team. Just remember all forretress that don't explode are set up fodder.
It was a pleasure rating your team, good luck!

This is a pretty cool sun team you have going on here, I really like it.
From what I'm seeing, this team aims to wall break with zard y (excellent choice) and open up a sweep with venusaur or talonflame, depending on the opponent's team. Latias and ninetales are there to provide some bulk and hit back. Foretress is just there to spin hazards. Cool.

However, there are some flaws I see in this team nonetheless. First off, I don't understand what your latias is trying to do. If you want to do damage, you should go with a Life Orb variant and max speed and special attack. If you want a defensive latias, you should move the evs from sp. att to speed. Either way, a latias should always be max speed timid imo, especially because you have defog. But you should decide whether you want latias to be offensive or defensive, a mix of both isn't too efficient.
Next, you should really go timid on zard y, he needs all the speed he can get. 100 base speed isn't that much in gen when its unboosted, and trust me, 159 base sp. att isn't going anywhere. Go timid.
As for venusaur, he needs Life Orb. He is just begging for extra power, because sometimes you won't have the chance to growth, and even at +2 you need the power imo. Complementing this, you should change energy ball--> Giga Drain. Though energy ball got a buff from 80 to 90, you still need the recovery of giga drain. After all, venusaur is your main water check. Next, I would recommend you go Hp fire-->Earthquake. Honestly, your team has plenty of Fire attacks, and that makes you even weaker to sp. def heatran. By running earthquake, you lure in those pesky heatran to only OHKO with earthquake, which opens up charizard y and talonflame to terrorize the opponent even further.
Last, I question your foretress's moveset a lot. I don't really see why you have toxic spikes and talonflame easily handles pink blobs. You should just replace that with Stealth Rocks. I question hp ice as since you don't outspeed, a sub toxic gliscor (the most common one) still wins. I don't think there will be issues as long as you spam fire blast with zard y. Normally, I would just tell you to replace it entirely with an excadrill, but I can see that it plays the important role of a pivot on your team. Just remember all forretress that don't explode are set up fodder.
It was a pleasure rating your team, good luck!
Those are very nice changes. I will try them out as soon as possible :) I kinda messed up the EVs on Latias.. xD. They were supposed to be Max Speed and Max HP.
I would use Excadrill, but Forretress provides the bulk that I need.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty cool, i like how it starts off as pretty cookie cutter sun with xy things thrown in there! Charizard is an amazing hole puncher! So is talonflame, but unfortunately, having both charizard and talonflame is reeeallly redundant. Unlike most fire types, talonflame is mediocre in sun. Its job it should be doing is spamming u turn or brave bird. Both charizard and talonflame have the same checks and counters, tyranitar, heatran, and it only compounds your weaknesses and threatlists. As such talonflame has to go: charizard is the far better sweeper.

In place of talonflame, try using Swords Dance Terrakion. This thing allows you to set up on so much this metagame, and its STABS are still good even with the introduction of Aegislash. Since your team does an excellent job of destroying aegislash, gourgeist, etc, terrakion is excellent at switching in on tyranitar, the biggest threat to this team. Its also a good thing to force heatran out. This gives you a nice sweeper once venusaur and charizard are done punching holes, allowing terrakion to clean up. Having terrakion also reduces the strain of forry and latias (redundant but ill get to that).

Next, ninetales is a pretty crap pokemon. No matter what you say it is subpar at everything it does. The job you use it for is of no need. You wont be able to sweep as well with venusaur, but its still a nice late game cleaner when zar is done. However, two drought users? No. Try out ChestoResto Rotom-W. You say you use it to burn and outspeed mamoswine, but rotom does the job so much better. Its also a much better pivot, and has excellent synergy with charizard and venusaur. This gives you extra insurance against talonflame as well.

Having both rapid spin and defog is redundant especially now you can force out tyranitar trapping and you have much less of a rocks weakness. Replace rapid spin on forretress with Gyro Ball. Having gyro ball lets you do random things like stopping fast threats, or hitting togekiss harder, or w/e. I realize with these changes it theoretically makes you weaker to Excadrill, but with charizard, terrakion, eq venu, you have it covered. Now i dont want to change your team too much, but you might want to consider genesect over forretress. However, thats your call, i dont want to turn your team into mine.

Good luck with your team man, i hope i helped!!

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 48 Def/ 208 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-o-Wisp
- Rest

Just a little nit pick, run 44 speed on rotom to out-speed Jolly azumarill, its a small change but it could help someday.
Recommended set:
Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 212 HP / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Rest

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
hey, solid team you have here. ive got a few suggestions for you. to start, id try u-turn on mandibuzz over brave bird, as foul play is pretty consistent damage, and mandibuzz has terrible attack. uturn is nice to grab some momentum for a mon that otherwise wrecks your momentum. second, i would absolutely run stealth rock on ttar. even with defog, rocks are essential, and tyranitar is bulky enough to set them up multiple times in a match if you need to defog. i would suggest removing earthquake, as your team doesnt really have any trouble with aegislash or steels. I would suggest running a quiet nature for powerful shadow balls, or brave for more powerful iron heads and shadow sneaks to preserve aegislash's bulk. I personally like aegislash to have the strongest sball possible at its disposal as thats for sure its main attack. Finally, I'd run bug buzz over thunderbolt on genesect, losing the coverage against keldeo and talonflame is worth it to have a nice stab move to spam that doesnt make you switch out.

good luck!

edit: i understand ttar has an assault vest lol, i was implying to change the item as well n_n

Last edited:
Just a little nit pick, run 44 speed on rotom to out-speed Jolly azumarill, its a small change but it could help someday.
Recommended set:
Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 212 HP / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Rest
That's a good idea. Changed ;D

hey, solid team you have here. ive got a few suggestions for you. to start, id try u-turn on mandibuzz over brave bird, as foul play is pretty consistent damage, and mandibuzz has terrible attack. uturn is nice to grab some momentum for a mon that otherwise wrecks your momentum. second, i would absolutely run stealth rock on ttar. even with defog, rocks are essential, and tyranitar is bulky enough to set them up multiple times in a match if you need to defog. i would suggest removing earthquake, as your team doesnt really have any trouble with aegislash or steels. I would suggest running a quiet nature for powerful shadow balls, or brave for more powerful iron heads and shadow sneaks to preserve aegislash's bulk. I personally like aegislash to have the strongest sball possible at its disposal as thats for sure its main attack. Finally, I'd run bug buzz over thunderbolt on genesect, losing the coverage against keldeo and talonflame is worth it to have a nice stab move to spam that doesnt make you switch out.

good luck!
Foul Play can't take care of fighting types. Sadly, I cannot run Stealth Rocks on Tyranitar, because he has Assault Vest (can't use non damaging moves).
Im using Earthquake to deal with opposing Heatrans, but its actually more of a personal choice to run Earthquake or Fire Blast. I used to run Fire Blast on Tyranitar, but I found out I get nothing to kill with it..
Brave Nature is a very good idea! I will give it a try :D
Keldeo is some terrible pokemon to handle for my team. It's very fast and can use fighting type moves with a amazing SpAtk stat...
Thunderbolt is a great coverage move on Genesect and I don't think Bug Buzz would do some dramatic change actually - It's more of a personal preference xD

Last edited:
I'd replace Focus Blast on Megazard Y with Solar Beam, covers two out of the three main weaknesses and instant charge, plus not many electric types are bulky enough to withstand a boosted fire blast so all your weaknesses are mostly covered

Give Mandibuzz 248 HP EVs so it can switch into more stealth rocks she might appreciate Taunt / Toxic over Brave Bird, since its attack stat is pitiful, if you do give it 0 IVs in attack and bold Nature to minimize confusion and foul play damage

On Aegislash perhaps replacing Gyro Ball instead of Iron Head since its speed is lowest is can be, it can do extremely more damage, maximum of 150, which is incredible.

Hope the suggestions help

I'd replace Focus Blast on Megazard Y with Solar Beam, covers two out of the three main weaknesses and instant charge, plus not many electric types are bulky enough to withstand a boosted fire blast so all your weaknesses are mostly covered

Give Mandibuzz 248 HP EVs so it can switch into more stealth rocks she might appreciate Taunt / Toxic over Brave Bird, since its attack stat is pitiful, if you do give it 0 IVs in attack and bold Nature to minimize confusion and foul play damage

On Aegislash perhaps replacing Gyro Ball instead of Iron Head since its speed is lowest is can be, it can do extremely more damage, maximum of 150, which is incredible.

Hope the suggestions help
Megazard Y has Focus Blast and Solar Beam already - I don't know how to replace them with each other? xD
Mandibuzz with Taunt/Toxic is actually a great idea and Im totally going to use that. Brave Bird was never a real help. Foul Play never really hurted it much tho.
Will try out Gyro Ball on Aegislash ;D

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool team you have! The only thing I see an issue with is with Gyro Ball on Aegislash.

Gyro Ball's base power is 25 x (target speed/user speed) with a max of 150 while Iron Head is a constant 80. Since your Aegislash hits 112 speed with 0 ivs and brave nature, it means that unless your target has a speed of at least 358.4, Iron Head is going to do more damage. A pokemon with base 100 speed with 252 speed EVs and a boosting nature hits 328, so Iron Head's going to hit harder most of the time.

Besides, the Fairies that you really want to nail with a steel-type attack aren't very fast. I'd suggest Iron Head or Sacred Sword for more consistent power or better coverage respectively.

Other than that it seems like a solid team xD

Megazard Y has Focus Blast and Solar Beam already - I don't know how to replace them with each other? xD
Mandibuzz with Taunt/Toxic is actually a great idea and Im totally going to use that. Brave Bird was never a real help. Foul Play never really hurted it much tho.
Will try out Gyro Ball on Aegislash ;D
Duh XD forgot that solarbeam was already there, but also consider air slash on him to replace focus blast

This is a pretty cool team you have! The only thing I see an issue with is with Gyro Ball on Aegislash.

Gyro Ball's base power is 25 x (target speed/user speed) with a max of 150 while Iron Head is a constant 80. Since your Aegislash hits 112 speed with 0 ivs and brave nature, it means that unless your target has a speed of at least 358.4, Iron Head is going to do more damage. A pokemon with base 100 speed with 252 speed EVs and a boosting nature hits 328, so Iron Head's going to hit harder most of the time.

Besides, the Fairies that you really want to nail with a steel-type attack aren't very fast. I'd suggest Iron Head or Sacred Sword for more consistent power or better coverage respectively.

Other than that it seems like a solid team xD
xD Changed it to Iron Head - even tho Gyro Ball was quite good at testing, but Iron Head did better.
Duh XD forgot that solarbeam was already there, but also consider air slash on him to replace focus blast
Im not a real fan of Air Slash on Charizard Y. He hits with Fire Blast like a Meteor and Focus Blast easily kills of a Assault Vest Tyranitar and Heatran during Drought.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 320-380 (79.2 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 408-480 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 210-248 (54.4 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 210-248 (54.4 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)