Magic: The Gathering

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I forgot about Sphere of the Suns, which was printed even more recently than Chalice. :-* Maybe his "nowadays" was extremely literal, as in from April 20, 2012 going forward.

Signets are broken? You mean the signets that are rarely ever used outside of EDH? ?_?

Zac Hill be trolling.

EDIT @ Below: I am really excited to use the flash land (along with Cavern of Souls.) I have actually been impressed with pretty much all of the nonbasic lands that the set has introduced.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Not as broken as that U/G Land that gives your shit flash. So ridiculous.

There will be Torpor Orb.... and I think Hound of Griselbrand is pretty cool. Barter in Blood with be great in Control. I get why they did it, but I don't like the fact Angel's Mercy was reprinted>_>

torpor orb r/b beatdown? sounds like a terribly fun jank deck to mess around with to me! :D

i like how pretty much all of the utility lands are playable. not that all of them have seen play (lol grim backwoods / stensia bloodhall) but... i expect slayer's stronghold will be awesome in boros humans if that deck becomes a thing, and desolate lighthouse is just an all-star in izzet builds. i wonder if it might see play in cruel control in modern...? flashland seems less able to be slammed into any deck (except edh decks of course) because u/g doesn't always need flash on everything.

i am pretty happy with the set from a casual perspective since there are some awesome cards, but it does suck that black has been given the very very short end of the stick. red gets some more 4-drops that it doesn't even need too which i suppose is nice. seriously, koth / hero / hellrider / griselbrand's puppy and iirc there's one more; that is a hotly contested slot.

About Bruna, Light of Alabaster: I first misread this card as "from your library, hand, and graveyard" but after a half hour of infatuation, read it again. Ugh. So wishing it was from library, even if you were limited to one Aura.

Otherwise, I love the other two gold angels. Poor, poor Bruna.

Bruna is arguably one of the best finishers in an EDH deck. Don't even get me started on what happens when you use Zur the Enchanter as a commander with her. <3

Use Zur to get out controlling Enchantments first, like Ghostly Prison/Propaganda, the Commander "Vow" cards or Arcane Laboratory (all depending on the situation). Then, get out all those sexy 3CMC or less auras to attach to Zur. Try to keep from dying until you play Bruna. Win.

i never actually noticed the trigger was attacking/blocking before, i thought it was etb. regardless, she is strong. it's a shame that unless she blocks before she attacks she misses the annihilator trigger on eldrazi conscription (which is a big dumb enchantment that should feel big and dumb). between her, zur and sovereigns of lost alara, auras in edh are looking pretty sweet. just gotta watch out for those volition reins / mind control / etc auras (although i'm not entirely sure how prevalent they are in edh).

i love gisela the most i think. assault strobe, swing, gg; it's actually kind of nutty how much damage she can do for 7 (?) mana. making pingers useless isn't that useful in edh though i suppose, unless basilisk collar+pinger is used much.

unfun angel bitch is a fucking unfun angel bitch though. sigarda, what a (BAN ME PLEASE), i mean jegus.

Disclaimer: I am not a good player, I just follow casually.

As far as the signets, he was probably referring to the fact that they are mana acceleration AND fixing for every color. That super breaks the color pie and enables crazy mana bases.

As for Cavern, I have no idea what type of effect it will have on the game. People are predicting everything from "Blue is dead, tribal aggro wins magic forever now" to "Delver will just run 4 of these and be even more effective".

The concern I have personally is that it seems like Cavern is just better than basic lands a fair bit of the time, which seems like dangerous territory...

As for Cavern, I have no idea what type of effect it will have on the game. People are predicting everything from "Blue is dead, tribal aggro wins magic forever now" to "Delver will just run 4 of these and be even more effective".
Honestly, I think we may see a bit of "all of the above," except

blue won't be gone.

Blue is far from dead... and UB Control just got some strong additions (Griselbrand, Temporal Mastery, Barter in Blood, Tamiyo the Moon Sage). Counter magic will be weaker thanks to Cavern though. I want to see that titan ramp with Somberwald Sage, Primeval, and Cavern getting a bunch of Titans out safely in a timely manner. Standard will certainly be interesting.

Blue is far from dead... and UB Control just got some strong additions (Griselbrand, Temporal Mastery, Barter in Blood, Tamiyo the Moon Sage). Counter magic will be weaker thanks to Cavern though. I want to see that titan ramp with Somberwald Sage, Primeval, and Cavern getting a bunch of Titans out safely in a timely manner. Standard will certainly be interesting.
griselbrand costs 7 mana, temporal mastery probably won't even be played in standard, barter in blood i admit is a good tool for it, and tamiyo costs 5 mana. ub control hasn't got anything new to do before turn 4-5; no new counterspells, no new spot removal outside of maybe human frailty, no new draw spells. lone revenant looks sweet in u/b control although i doubt it'll be used until grave titan rotates.

wolf run ramp gets a lot of new tools (t1 mana dork t2 somberwald sage t3 prime time) so i imagine it will be the dominant deck now.

ub control is unplayable. the metagame at the moment is tap out as fast as you can and play your big threats(or small efficient ones). esper control, the only good control deck, is basically a tap out deck. tamiyo isn't great in the meta atm; it's only good if your opponent only has one thing on the board. otherwise, Gideon is always better. drawing cards is cool but what's the point of drawing three cards if i have 3 dudes on the board ready to kill u before you can wrath.

the 2 mana planeswalker is a lot better than i gave it credit for, I expect to see it a bit.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tamayo would have been strong if creatures weren't as strong as they are. I think it's still decent in edh. It's not game breaking, but I would still play it in casual edh. It's not so secretly my favorite card that they've printed since Liliana Vess (yeah it's been a long time).

griselbrand costs 7 mana, temporal mastery probably won't even be played in standard, barter in blood i admit is a good tool for it, and tamiyo costs 5 mana. ub control hasn't got anything new to do before turn 4-5; no new counterspells, no new spot removal outside of maybe human frailty, no new draw spells. lone revenant looks sweet in u/b control although i doubt it'll be used until grave titan rotates.

wolf run ramp gets a lot of new tools (t1 mana dork t2 somberwald sage t3 prime time) so i imagine it will be the dominant deck now.
Griselbrand costs 8 - people complained that it didn't cost 7 to make with the symmetry of power toughness life payment cards drawn.

i must've accidentally made him symmetrical in my mind, oops.

anyway i went to the 2hg with my friend, we managed 4th which i am very happy with. pulled some pretty sweet rares (restoration angel which i never actually drew, craterhoof behemoth, hound of griselbrand). we actually managed to play all 8 of our rares, which i thought was quite a feat. :D

Event decks have been spoiled...no decklists, just the focus of the decks. As seen in all of the Innistrad block and pretty much event deck history, one is aggro and one is control.

"Death’s Encroach Time to devour the living! Master a frighteningly quick force of flesh-hungry undead while you trip up your foe with a barrage of disruptive spells. Tonight is the last night the humans will draw breath."
-from wizards.com
Ah, zombies. Unfortunately, no Phyrexian Obliterators here, eh?

"The humans of Innistrad fight to take back their home! Your crafty mortals will combine their talents to outmaneuver and outthink the hollow-skulled hordes. Slay enough ghouls and it’ll be safe once more to have a pulse."
-from wizards.com
White-blue human control...cool!

See for yourself:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/961

Aggro and Control? Really? Most of them are pretty much Aggro decks because Control requires too much money and they don't like printing decks with low creature counts.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Not to say that you're wrong in the particular case of the event decks -- I'm not sure I'd classify any of them as really controlling because a heavy control deck is not really the easiest way to teach newer players about the game -- but control decks don't have to cost big money and have low creature counts. Control decks exist in pauper, as a counterpoint to the $$$ statement, and Faeries is a great example of a a deck chock-full of dudes that have controlling abilities stapled onto them.

Doesn't creatures being better make for a point in favor of Tamiyo? ;[ Compared to others planeswalkers anyway; all walkers are "weak" to creatures in that swinging in is by far the easiest way to handle them. She's quite plainly better than Jace at any rate, similarly backbreaking to resolve against UB Control but having better applications in other matchups that make her a little more versatile. Relatively speaking, she's a better maindeck and you can afford to side more copies of her because she's less narrow in use.

Downloaded Cockatrice... playing a couple decks I like.

[16 Creature]
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
3 Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
4 Griselbrand
[26 Land]
2 Copperline Gorge
1 Dragonskull Summit
7 Forest
1 Island
4 Mountain
3 Plains
2 Razorverge Thicket
2 Rootbound Crag
2 Sulfur Falls
2 Swamp
[18 Other Spells]
1 Defy Death
4 Faithless Looting
4 Mulch
3 Tracker's Instincts
4 Unburial Rites
2 Whiplare
[15 Sideboard]
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Wurmcoil Engine
3 Ancient Grudge
3 Mental Misstep
1 Defy Death
2 Whipflare

[29 Creatures]
3 Birds of Paradise
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
2 Grave Titan
2 Hound of Griselbrand
2 Inferno Titan
4 Primeval Titan
3 Rune-Scarred Demon
3 Strangleroot Geist
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
3 Urabrask the Hidden
3 Viridian Emissary
2 Wurmcoil Engine
[25 Land]
2 Copperline Gorge
2 Dragonskull Summit
5 Forest
2 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Mountain
2 Rootbound Crag
2 Swamp
3 Woodland Cemetary
[6 Other Spells]
3 Shrine of Boundless Growth
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Warstorm Surge
1 Primal Surge
[15 Sideboard]
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Sword of War and Peace
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
3 Mental Misstep
3 Cavern of Souls
2 Bonfire of the Damned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)