ORAS OU Luxray isn't Lion!

And I was like yooooo, I should use Luxray in OU. It sounds crazy, but with the right support, this thing is beastly! Let's take a look:
upload_2015-6-17_19-42-44.png

Teambuilding Process -

Pretty much my main mon! Of course, lol.

Espeon offers great support for not only Luxray, but the whole team. It blocks statuses and stealth rocks!

Manaphy cripples Heatran and Hippo with its bulk and it having access to scald.

Scolipede offers speed control by Baton Passing the speed to Luxray, which is great for it, so it can outspeed its primary threats.

From here, I knew I'd need stealth rocks for the residual damage, and Garchomp was my first option.

This Mega is fairly overlooked. This beast offers good attack and prankster, so the support is real!
The Team -

I'm not Lion (Luxray) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Facade
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Volt Switch
Luxray is the star of this team. Flame Orb + Guts is just powerful as ever. The access to facade is great, offering an attack that can hit a lot! Superpower can hit Heatran very hard, and other rock, steel and normal types. Wild Charge is Luxray's main move. It is STAB, and is Guts boosted. Though it does have recoil, there's really no better option. Volt Switch offers momentum, so if I'm in a bad situation, I can just volt switch out.

Sakura (Espeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Psyshock
- Wish
Espeon has great support for the team. This mon can block all sorts of statuses and other hazards that would effect the team. Protect for the Wish Protect combo. HP Fighting can hurt Heatran and TTar very hard. Psyshock is STAB. Wish is wish, haha. The EVs are to tank 2 Conkeldurr Knock Offs and retaliate with a powerful Psyshock.

Mani (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 176 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
Pretty much, this set is for Heatran and Hippo. Tail Glow can boost my special attack, so my moves do much more damage. Ice Beam is coverage for grass types, Lando-T, Garchomp, etc. U-Turn offers more momentum and even a little Volt-Turn core for my team. Leftovers can heal my Manaphy over time, and the EVs are really nothing special.

Under a Rock (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 16 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 236 Spe
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
Scoli is a great mon in general. It can just protect and baton pass the speed over to Luxray. A +1 Luxray outspeeds almost everything in the meta! Swords Dance is if I can tank an attack and even get it over to Luxray. Megahorn is just STAB and nothing else. The EVs allow me to have a sense of bulk, while maintaining a good speed.

Best Shiny imo (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 164 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endure
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
Garchomp is very bulky and can set up my rocks! Endure allows me to get off some chip damage, as Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin will come into effect. Dragon tail forces my opponent out to rack up residual damage. I pack Fire Blast over EQ to hit Ferrothorn (a bit threat) for great damage. It's a 2HKO with this EV spread. So if I ran Impish, it would have a chance too after leftovers recovery. Besides, this set isn't meant for speed anyways.

Wanna play? (Banette) @ Banettite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit
Banette is a very powerful mon. It is overlooked in regard to Sableye. However, Mega Banette has a niche. It has great attacking power, and has access to Thunder Wave. This will help out Luxray in a great way! Again, it offers speed control. Mega Banette is also a viable Pursuit trapper, forcing out Mega Metagross fearing WoW, and Latios/Latias with -2 Special Attack.
Calcs -
0 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Mega Banette Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 276-326 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to
OHKO (if they switch)

252+ Atk Mega Banette Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 180-212 (59.8 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (if they switch)

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Espeon: 166-196 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO (technically a 3HKO, because Knock Off will get weaker afterwards)

0 SpA Espeon Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 228-270 (64.9 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Threats -

This little Egg is big trouble for my team! It is tanky and walls out pretty much everything. I am considering Keldeo over Manaphy.

Talonflame can hit the team hard, it can. It also threatens Scoli, so I can't baton pass. However, Chomp does wall it hard.

Weavile is fast and hits super hard. Nothing resists this thing.

Intimidate Users
Mons like Lando-T and Gyarados are pretty big threats, as they can just come in and lower my attack [especially because this team is so physically oriented].

Replays -
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-242041298
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-242044230

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-242048601

Importable -
I'm not Lion (Luxray) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Facade
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Volt Switch

Mani (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 176 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Sakura (Espeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Psyshock
- Wish

Under a Rock (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 16 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 236 Spe
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn

Best Shiny imo (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 164 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endure
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Wanna play? (Banette) @ Banettite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit
Thanks for viewing the team! Hope to see ya later frens. :]

Last edited:
Hey Niitro... Absolutely love the ingenuity of the team; from the selections of Luxray (AKA B0$$) and MegaBan to the sets; love Endure for some inexplicable reason on chomp for more RH + RS massochism.

One tiny suggestion: Try replacing Sucker Punch > Destiny Bond. D Bond allows you to take Weavile, TTar and Bisharp down if they try to Pursuit Trap you and other heavy hitters (such as the aforementioned Lando-T and Gyarados among others like MegaGross, MegaTaria, etc...) that might cause problems for your team.

Sure you lose out on a priority move, however, even with Attack invested you lose out on STAB and lose to other priority users as the majority of them outspeed you or simply resist it (Weavile and Azumarill to name a couple)

Let me know what you think.

P.S. If possible, can you elaborate on why you have certain EVs on certain mons (i.e. 248 / 76 Physical Bulk on Banette is suppose to help tank which hits better?)

I've been using Sucker Punch now, and it works great. Thanks for that suggestion! ^-^

Those EVs on Banette allow me to survive a talonflame Brave Bird and get off T Wave, which'll be very beneficial at the time that I need it. otherwise, I'll go right into Garchomp or Manaphy.

The EVs on Scolipede allow me to live at least 1 standard special defense heatran lava plume. Then I can proceed to Baton pass. :)

Err, I don't know about Manaphy now. I was thinking something yesterday, haha. But now I forgot. >.>

Thank you for the rate and stay awesome! ^^

Just a little something to note, if your team has trouble against chansey, you should consider giving your banette taunt. I'd recommend it over pursuit, but it's moreso just what you want. You could also just run knock off over shadow claw or pursuit to get rid of its eviolite.

One thing I want to point is that yellow fonts are extremely annoying. Toxic Orb should be used on Luxray not Flame Orb. Also Destiny Bond, Shadow Sneak and Will-O-Wisp can used on Banette, you can sort that out tho.

Note: SuperPiplup, instead of working for Chansey just add a Keldeo > Manaphy and finish it. The speed difference is vital, and more Special Attack makes it better (SubCM is the best). Dual-STAB is better

2nd Note: Adding Keldeo makes Weavile useless and Chansey too, however it just boosts Talonflame's prowess on the team

Keldeo is working wonders, thanks RaminO7 !

Guts negates burn, so technically Flame Orb > Toxic Orb (Toxic deals more damage over time.)

SuperPiplup , I am running Knock Off and it is working very well; not only against Chansey, but many other mons! Thanks!

I have uploaded some replays, so check 'em out. Thanks for the rates guys! ^o^

NiiTro, that's what I mean. Running Toxic Orb is less for 3 turns, and Luxray won't last them anyway. Even though it's a great set

I see you have no switch-ins to dragon types. It looks like any dragon can rip apart your team with outrage. I think you could replace garchomp or scolipede with a fairy type. Clefable is also able to set up stealth rock. Also, I think you should use latias over espeon, as it can wishpass or Latios for a purely offensive replacement. Latios has the same offensive stats, only a wider movepool and better defenses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)