Lurker to Instant Success

Oh yeah, 5th gen yeah! I'm such a douche. =)

Well this is my first RMT, I've been lurking ever since the beginning of the 4th generation, so I guess it's about time I try to post a team. I've had some good success with this on the ladder so far, and have been able to counter some very top threats using these guys, with the assistance of my favorite status, paralysis. No major accomplishments, but I truly feel this team could work very nicely in the hands of a pro (except me, of course..;-P). With that, here I go...

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

All I really can say here is that I started with my favorites of the new pokes with some old ones, sets I thought were simply beautiful. And ever since generation two, I have liked paralysis for its fantastic 25% chance of a free turn and drastic redux in speed to stop sweepers.

After messing around a bit, and I kinda knew it but, I had to get rid of P-Z. And quite simply, Nattorei just was not my type - I never really understood how to use him. I saw an article in Uncharted about a CB Gig, so I stuck him in. And I also had loved Moru from the start, but with so much negative attitude toward him it seemed to me he just might not be able to fit well in the new meta. Anyone who's ever criticized him was wrong.

Aaaaaaand....after quite a few winning battles and random gimmicks (a sashed Gengar countered my Gyra to death...), I arrived.

IN DEPTH STUPH (kekeke...)

Jarooda (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Perversity
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Glare

Moveset:

Typical Jarooda. Glare's new 90% accuracy and the thought of an unavoidable paralysis was very alluring, with the exception of Limber pokes. Instead of opting to use Dragon Tail or HP Fire I just decided to use subseed to stall out any pokes I don't like and don't feel like switching out of if I have a sub up already (think 4x resist pokes like Skarm...). Anything that I can't handle will be paralyzed, at which point I promptly run away to a safer switch. It easily sweeps unprepared teams and causes a lot of ragequits. I don't generally switch to him unless it's after a sacrifice because of his frailty without defensive EV's. He's frequently replaced by Gig as the lead, but if I see nothing in the opponent's team that's too fast or with Mischievous Heart, he's wonderful for putting immediate pressure on the opponent.

EV's, Nature and Item:

I needed speed to outrun base 110's and any other trollish pokes lying between there and 113. I needed power to sweep. Simple as that. I added leftovers to help out with the subseed strategy, because Jarooda hardly needs any power boost at +4/6 SAtk.

Roobushin (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EV's: 68 HP / 192 Atk / 248 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Bulk Up

Moveset:

The only reason I liked this guy was because a bunch of other teams had apparently used him to great success, and so have I. He's great for revenging weakened threats and catching all sorts of pokes by surprise with SE. I basically copied this whole thing from another dude's RMT, and must I say the decision to replace Payback is well worth it. Shanderaa's, Zapdos's, and much much more tend to switch in expecting a Bulk Up or weak fighting attack, and then pay dearly for it. He's a great sweeper with a few Bulks under his belt, and unstoppable unless you have a powerful super effective special move. As for replacing with Rock Slide, I don’t see the need. I’ve never had too much trouble with misses, and I think the change in power wouldn’t be very desirable. Other than all that, it's the usual Bulk Up Roo.

EV's , Nature and Item:

From what I remember, the dude said basically these helped him survive a few specials handily, with the rest being dumped into power. Speed doesn't matter with priority and his low base. Not to mention paralysis helps out a lot. Leftovers help in case he gets an extra burn or to nullify weather damage.

Gigaiasu (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sturdy
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Moveset:

I nearly croaked when I saw the calcs for a CB Gig. Even without the boost from Sand Power, he can do major damage. I mostly use him for setting up SR and revenging things like Blaziken when his Sturdy is intact. But he does have some use for double switches to lure out certain pokes I want dead...like, say, a Breloom (those guys hurt). Even without Sturdy he's quite durable, even surviving an HJK from Blaziken, and the extra damage he incurs is very useful. Etc. uses include a fire switch and a Zapdos counter. Oh, and an emergency "oh jizz" button with a boom. A very nice fail safe that I tend to play conservatively with if I see a significant threat on my opponent's team, because Sturdy allows me to survive any attack to go boom in the first place. In short, as long as he has full health, I have a second shot.

EV's, Nature and Item:

Max attack and max survivability. I've yet to see him survive any special attack, so I guess I could move them from HP to defense, but with SS from other teams I figure one day those HP EV's will be put to good use. The CB is obviously an integral part of the set that provides much power.

Genosekuto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EV's: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Moveset:

Every team that abuses paralysis needs a poke that can go fast. A catch-all revenger. Probably the best ever invented poke to use a scarf. Seriously. He's just lovely....resistances to all sorts of things, one weakness (which is pretty easy to see coming...), coverage on just about every type, and scouting, combined with a free boost. My only regret is that sometimes I feel I almost depend TOO much on him, although Moru can pick up a lot of slack except in the fire department, and Gig can always be a backup. IMO, this Generation's future Scizor.

EV's, Nature and Item:

The speed there is obvious. Max SAtk because a Yache Chomp can only be OHKOed with max EV's and SR using Ice Beam. I would have split them if otherwise.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Earthquake Spiral
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Dance

Moveset:

An old threat returns. A good switch into certain fire and fighting attacks, and it causes a good lot of switches against smart players. That's where Twave comes in...as soon as their checks are slowed down, I will usually switch out to Moru (a lot of people depend on Starmie and Suicune, although the latter apparently has not made much of a comeback) to Giga Drain them or go to Jaroda to start a sweep. Overconfidence (pokelab doesn't have the translations yet I guess) is marvelous...things that might normally stand up to his attacks like a Breloom, for example, die after just one boost. Which then leads to another boost. The only thing that can kill him once he's nice and set up is either LO recoil or an un-paralyzed poke with an electric attack. The only time his sweep has ever been stopped for me was a random Gengar that was sashed and had counter.

EV's, Nature and Item:

Sweeping Gyra. I always like to place an emphasis on speed for many pokes, and Gyra actually needs it since he's relatively slow. The LO might seem unnecessary at first, but really after the first DD Gyra needs all the power he can get to nab that first KO. From there, the only thing stopping him is a faster check with an electric attack.

Morobareru (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regeneration
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Stun Spore

Moveset:

Of my own invention. =D I originally posted this on the thread about him in Uncharted, and I can't stop loooovin' iiiiit all ova tha place. Spore is the classic God move to eliminate one threat, Stun Spore is for after they've had one poke slept and try to switch, or when I want to slow something down when I switch him in. Giga Drain is the main attack, and with the new BP and effect it's just sheer awesomeness to help recover lost HP. Clear Smog is probably the jewel of the set...for those who don't know, it's basically a Poison-type Haze that also deals damage with 40 BP. The only sad thing is that it does not work on Steel-types, however aside from Dory and Jirachi I can't think of any I need to worry about....those two can be revenged. But yeah, Moru is my switch into any fighter or grasser, my status platform, and my little Sweeper's Bane. He tends to stick around for a while, too, with Regeneration helping out tons.

EV's, Nature and Item:

Despite how much I've praised him, Moru does have his softer spots. He needs investment into any one defense in order to survive a whole lot, and his physical is the only one worth saving so I invested in that. And with that, he can actually take quite a beating. Even a +2 Terakion is not guaranteed to 2KO him. Black Sludge is the Poison Type's Leftovers, and punishes any possible trickers.

CONCLUSION

Yep, that's my humble contribution to the grand ol' Smogon community. Hope you all enjoy salivating over this team as much as I did. Rate, Hate, Love, Kill, Smoke, Kick, Trash, or whatever verb suits you, to this RMT. Threat List coming soon~

P.S. If someone could tell me how the heck you can re-size pictures in these posts without the stupid thing ignoring you, tell me please.

THREAT LIST

This is really kinda preliminary. If you can think of any more that I have not listed, please tell me. That way, when I finish, other people can copy off of it too. =)

Key:

Black = Nothing special.
Orange = Mild nuisance / can be worrisome if properly used.
Red = Danger!

Jarooda: Obviously trouble if they're anything smart. What I'd do is switch to Moru and try to force him out that way. If he subs I'll just keep using clear smog and the 4x resist until his boosts are wiped. He doesn't mind paralysis and can't be affected by leech seed, so the only way he'll be beat is if it has DTail or HP Fire. Even then I could probably go to Geno if there's no sub and revenge him. Otherwise, if he has a sub up and HP Fire, I am dead.

Blaziken: Not as much trouble as you may think. I usually have him paralyzed already, so if I switch in Gyra or Geno I can beat him, wipe his boosts with Moru as a sacrifice. His moves also have shaky accuracy, and without an SD he can't OHKO Roo, who can also revenge. Gig is a major check...if his Sturdy is still good there's no way Bazliken can beat him. But it could spell trouble if he's not slowed or if Gig is gone.

Gigaiasu: Hard name to remember to spell. T.T Never come across one as of yet, but I have Jarooda, my own Gig, Moru, Roo...

Genosekuto: I only have one fire move. And it's on my own Geno. Speed tie or die I would think. I'm not sure, but maybe Gig's SE could kill him. If I'm lucky he's paralyzed, or Moru has already spore'd him.

Roobushin: He's slow, so he could easily be spore'd. Geno can knock him out I'm fairly sure, and if Jarooda gets in he could probably die to a Leaf Storm. If he sets up though he shouldn't be too hard to take down. Moru can wipe his boosts. Gyra could take him on without SE.

Suicune: Moru, Jarooda, Geno...

Morubareru: Annoying, like mine...dies to Geno's Flamethrower. That's about it, though. Stall with Jarooda maybe...?

Gengar: With HP Fire he could definitely do some damage. I only have two resists and three weaknesses, but minus sub Gig could do him in I suppose. I have never really had too much trouble with him, but that's probably because I'm not playing the right people.

Swampert: Oh, look, Moru can recover all of his HP now! Jarooda gets a free boost! Heck, even Gyra has no trouble here minus Roar.

Zapdos: Meh. Nothing. Roo, Gig, Geno.

Snorlax: Moru, Roo, Gig possibly.

Ditto: Any sweeper will tell you the one thing they do not want to face is a Ditto. A noob's weapon of choice, IMO. Jarooda doesn't seem to have too much trouble with it with a sub. If it's paralyzed it's easy to kill.

Desukan: I don't even see why I put this here other than for completeness's sake. Moru can wipe boosts if it's a CM version.

Rankurusu: I've wanted to use one of these myself. But I don't see it as any real danger...Gig can go boom, any physical attack should kill it, actually. Geno's U-Turn will work wonders.

Zuruzukin: I can match it with my own Roo. Moru can wipe.

Shinboraa: Gig, Geno.

Gyarados: Moru, Geno, Gig.

Warubiaru: Yet to see one. But just in case; Moru, Gyra, Geno, Jarooda.

Scizor: Geno, Moru, Gig even.

Terakion: Yet to see one also. Jarooda, Moru (if it's set-up), Roo. Maybe Gig.

Kerudio: Huh. Takes some thought here. I've only played for so long, and I have only seen one of these. But if it's an SD version, I can use Moru. If it has some damage, I can revenge with Geno, maybe Jarooda. Paralysis helps. I don't know what I'd do exactly against a CM version, but I know Moru would do handily.

Birijion: I saw one, but it wasn't very effective. Hard, but not impossible I figure. Gig if it has Sturdy, Geno if it's been severely weakened, Moru is probably the best bet though, since he resists it's STAB's. Wipe his boosts, attack with Clear Smog or status him. Even if he gets a kill I'm sure CC defense drops will make him easy to revenge. If Geno is gone and he has another coverage move though I could very well be dead.

Breloom: Same boat as Brijion, only harder. I was swept by an SD Technician one with Bullet Seed, MP, and Spore. My Geno was damaged and killed by the MP, and my Moru was weakened. Gig didn't stand a chance.

Latios: Insta ban por favor. Only Geno can do anything to it without dying instantly, and even then some of them are scarfed so it makes it just that much harder.

Manaphy: Another insta ban please. +3 TG boosts are just criminal, and the fact that you can't status it just sucks. The only fully exploitable flaw is its speed. If Gig has Sturdy still, he could go boom, and if it switches in on Jarooda he might be able to subseed stall it. If it's been weakened enough then Geno can revenge it, Roo too.

Shaymin (Sky Forme): Without a sub, Geno can easily kill it. Otherwise, I don't think there's any way to rid myself of this plague. If it's been slowed, then a boom from Gig could do the job with Sturdy.

Darkrai: Without Roo or Gig, it's over. Heck, I think I just want all of the previous early Ubers gone, lol.

Latias: Does the same thing Latios does.

Doryuuzu: The fearsome sand mole. Not bad at all if paralyzed (then it can be smushed by Jarooda and Gyra), revenged by Geno. Beaten by Gig if it's Ballon has been popped. Also revenged by Roo. Very fragile...I don't see why people are so annoyed by him.

Politoed: Nothing by himself. Killed by any physical attack, has to be 2KOed by special. It's only what he supports that's dangerous (Manaphy).

Kingdra: Nasty. If I'm lucky he'll be spore'd by Moru, or paralyzed. Boom with Gig, 2KOed by Geno, if weak enough socked by Roo's MP.

Kabutops: Haha. Grass, Geno.

Ninetales: No problem by itself. Gig, Gyra.

Tangrowth: Sacked by 3/4 of Geno's moveset. Status is annoying, and if it knocks off a key item like Geno's Scarf, then it could be game breaking. Moru can dispatch it with Clear Smog b/c of it's horrible SDef and weakness.

Depends on what it's running. Taken care of by Geno and Moru, but if it has a BP set whatever it passes to might be worth blinking twice at.

Espeon: Well, I'm not going to set up SR if I know this thing's around. Fragile; can be handled by Geno, Gig, Gyara, Jarooda. It's high SAtk and potential para bounce backs are noteworthy.

Shandera: Everyone's favorite little Shadow Tag abuser. I catch a lot when I use SE with Roo. I guess it depends on what it comes in on....it's fire moves are deadly to me, yet the only thing it can absolutely safely come in on is Moru unless after a kill. I've got a nice enough shot if SR is out, since it's defenses are often deprived of investment, and even more of one if it's been paralyzed.

Salamence: Hardiddly har har! Even though it also got Overconfidence, I don't consider it much of a danger. Gig, Geno, Roo can all take it on without much fear since it's likely to immediately try to set up.

Gliscor: Don't know what to say about him yet. Haven't seen it. But it would seem to be a small concern...Geno, Gyra, possibly Gig and Jarooda can smack him. The only trouble are his Flying moves, and maybe Toxic, but not so much.

Ononokusu: Easy peasy lemon squeezy. His defenses are so suckish it's not even funny. Geno, Roo, Mebe Gig can get him. Moru actually I have fears of switching in, since he can't resist Dragon or Fire, but like most, if he's slowed I can wipe boosts off the Earth.

Jirachi: CM Wish ones make me twitch if they nab too many stat ups. Annoying with the Gay Rachi set. Possible to kill though with Gig and Geno, Gyara too if it's slowed.

Magnezone: I got swept by one of these. SWEPT. It killed my poor Geno, was impervious to EQ from Gig, had a sub and bolted Roo to death, HP Fire'd Moru and Jarooda. Simply put, if you bring one of these in on my Geno locked into IB or TB, I'm as good as dead. Even if I manage to kill it, Geno is such an important safety check I'm likely to get beaten by something else.

Metagross: Geno. Gig maybe. Gyara too.

Garchomp: Same boat as with all the other dragons like him besides Las/Los. Admittedly, he's a handful. Fortunately there's a guaranteed OHKO on Yache Chomp with SR and max SAtk on Geno plus a Download boost. Talk about tough. If Geno is gone, and Gig has no Sturdy....gulp.

Deoxys-S: Annoying as a lead. I can't KO it without it setting up tons of hazards. That causes me problems later on in the game...hazard teams I have trouble with in general.

I like the sound of that Jarooda lead. I've been wanting to find a way to use it for a while, and when Scarf doesn't work, that sounds great. I shall give it a go and report back ;)

That 'dude' whose Roopushin you copied? Yeah, that'd be mine :p down to the EVs and everything. Glad you're liking him though! First person I've seen to use my identical spread.

That Mushroom looks fierce. I definitely need to try one of those someday. Regenration on top of all the ways to restore HP and status on top of hazing just sounds sublime.

If being locked into moves with Genosect is giving your trouble, why not substitute U-Turn for Rock Polish? Easily being able to force switches with Download and great coverage, getting a RP off should be no problem. Then coupled with Life Orb you can easily sweep with that kind of power and speed. And with so much paralysis you could even run Modest over Timid if you want. Or just Timid to be safe.

Finally, I think you might want Taunt over TWave on Gyara to prevent setups and because you have Glare. I do love paralysis myself though.

Yeah, your Roo is great. =)

That's a good thought on Geno. I faced one myself, and they're very fierce. Thing is, the meta isn't quite settled yet, and as fantastic as the mechanical bug is, people aren't bound to say "Oh, it's Geno. He could be scarfed...better switch to be safe." Which means that if facing a potential sweep, I think I'd need the speed to kill 'em before I am. Although he does cause many switches already, and I have not quite been abusing paralysis to its full potential, that's DEFINITELY worth a shot!

As for Gyra, yeah Taunt would be nice. There have been a few situations recently where I've encountered hazard teams that have been annoying the heck outta me. I don't think he'd serve a great deal as a lead, because without Intimidate he's not as bulky as he could be, and I'd rather not have a lead that's slow and frail. And whenever I do switch him in, and DD on the switch, there's hardly time to Taunt. Why waste it there against a Nattorei when I could snag a few more boosts, or any other setup fodder when I'm in the clear? So yeah it's a consideration, but the costs outweigh he benefits to me. Twave is just too good to pass up.

Speaking of hazards, I need help there. Anyone care to share some pointers?

With what? Keeping them off the field? Setting more up? Spin blocking?

Here's a thought. To prevent spinning and help your team, try a Evostone Dusclops. It can use Thunder Wave, has amazing defenses with the stone, can pressure stall, and can spin block. Any combination of Thunder Wave, WoW, Confuse Ray (Parafusion!), Mean Look, Night Shade, Pain Split, Protect, Susbtitute will cause fits and it allows Gyara, Roo and Genosect to sweep so much easier. I think between it and Parashuffling Jaroda with Dragon Tail can paralyze at least half the enemy's team allowing your sweepers free reign to tear shit up.

Team looks pretty good, just a few quick changes...
I'd say maybe put Gigaiasu in the lead position? It works really effectively with the moveset you have there, but with a Custap Berry (I dunno if you can use them, I just go against a lot) and Sturdy. Jaroda can then come in surprisingly and start its sweep.
If you opt to keep Scarf Geno, I'd go for a set of 176 Atk / 112 SpA / 220 Speed, with Explosion over Flamethrower. Explosion after an Attack boost OHKOs most things that don't resist (a blast from the past XD), and can really put an end to sweeps from things such as Landlos and Latios.
That's about all I can see wrong, good to see you using some underrated Pokes, and good luck!

@Jaroda, ha, sorry. I meant Hazard teams that set up spikes, TSpikes, and SR. I was hoping maybe someone could find me a taunt lead, or something that could at least get rid of Deoxys-S and revenge a bit. A fire resist on top of that would be nice too, lol.

@Zangoose. I don't remember if I edited it in there, but I usually use Gigi as a lead when it allows you to see your opponent's team. I like to preserve his Sturdy when I can, because it's a last minute check. And I did use Explosion before, but I find that it's better to save Geno since he has such great coverage already to revenge other threats. Flamethrower is simply too valuable for me to toss. It gives me a better chance at OKHOing steels, Abomasnow, other Geno, and more.

If you're having trouble with Deoxys-S leads, ANYTHING with Magic Coat counters it. Here was my lead:

Deoxys-S@Leftovers
Bold, Pressure
252 Hp, 88 Def, 168 SpD
-Magic Coat
-Taunt
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock

without any investment, it outspeeds base 130s, and magic coat let's it reflect back priority taunt, other SR, etc. It is 4HKOd by Hippowdons Earthquake. I found it was only helpless against Baton Pass leads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)