Little things you like about Pokémon

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thinking about it, we actually did have human characters with a unique appearance that was something biological:

The Ultra Recon Squad, and likely all the other people from the Ultra Megalopolis dimension. Due to Necrozma having eaten all the light in their home dimension probably hundreds if not thousands of years ago, their bodies undergone a change which fits that of an organism living in darkness. With no light to burn their skin they lost most if not all their skin pigmentation turning their skin color a pale gray-blue. To see better in the dark their eyes grew tapetum lucidum making them reflective and seemingly glow/luminescent. Their hair color, while at first seemingly as technicolor as any other anime character, sort of has a fluorescence to them; and considering how their eyes may have changed, they may be seeing different color hair than we're seeing. Like Soliera and Phyco to us look to have violet hair, but considering violet is the shortest wavelength we can see, it could be the people of Ultra Megalopolis are able to see beyond ultraviolet and to them Soliera and Phyco have different hair colors.

Now they're still very much human in shape (though curious what a child of a person from the Pokemon World and Ultra Megalopolis would look like), but remember all Ultra Beasts also come from their own dimensions. Infact in two others we meet someone from there, though they seemingly are also "normal" looking. But that doesn't everyone does. Like maybe the people from the Ultra Deep Sea, in addition to developing in a semi-aquatic environment, have also grown horns/spikes on their heads in order to prevent Nihilego from attaching to the top of their heads. Ultra Jungle people may have grown scaly armor skin to protect them from high falls and prevent Buzzwole from jabbing them with its proboscis.

Of course that's assuming GF even wants those worlds to have people somewhere and have adapted to it. I highly doubt we'll get a game where we explore the Ultra Space additional dimensions in more detail; they just wanted cool backdrops for the Ultra Beasts pretty much. However it's pretty much the most way we'd would be getting a human character with any physical traits that isn't "human". This isn't the world of One Piece or My Hero Acadamia, humans are humans because its the Pokemon which get the wild designs.
iirc the blokes in Kartana’s dimension looked pretty normal

Okay so I have found out perhaps the most bizarre Pokemon trivia ever, something I don't think even hardcore Pokemon fans would know and it is also insanely random

There's this Atlus game called Catherine, you can look it up on your own time because it's not...what you'd call family friendly, let's put it that way (then again, I think most of Atlus's games are M-rated, never played them but I digress)

I'm serious, don't look it up unless you're older, it's adult (just look at the thumbnail of the video below for proof).

but...

of ALL THE GAMES IN THE WORLD...

THIS M-RATED GAME HAS A REMIX OF THE DIAMOND AND PEARL BATTLE THEME HIDDEN IN THE CODE????

W H Y ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay so I have found out perhaps the most bizarre Pokemon trivia ever, something I don't think even hardcore Pokemon fans would know and it is also insanely random

There's this Atlus game called Catherine, you can look it up on your own time because it's not...what you'd call family friendly, let's put it that way (then again, I think most of Atlus's games are M-rated, never played them but I digress)

I'm serious, don't look it up unless you're older, it's adult (just look at the thumbnail of the video below for proof).

but...

of ALL THE GAMES IN THE WORLD...

THIS M-RATED GAME HAS A REMIX OF THE DIAMOND AND PEARL BATTLE THEME HIDDEN IN THE CODE????

W H Y ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
There’s also a placeholder ranking test full of RSE characters. Looks like one of the devs really liked Pokemon…….. they could be among us….. right now…

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
people are able to be forcefully turned into pokemon like both yamask as well, which isn't too farfetch'd considering the practically nonexistent blur between humans and pokemon otherwise: either they're human or pokemon.

speaking of which, it seems any group that could've died off was likely forcefully assimilated into the pokedex either as protection or imprisonment.
Eh, I'd say instances where Yamask or Phantump or any other mentions of a Pokemon once being human falls into folklore than fact. All instances of "proven" Pokemon to human transformation is treated as a special phenomenon, usually said person having been turned into a Pokemon for a reason (such as the Mystery Dungeon games).

A few days ago I came across the name given to the Speed stat in the German localization. It's Initiative.

Can we have that name in other localizations? Because it's a lot less ambiguous.
This got me curious so I checked the Japanese names of each stat. While the first part of their name is 1:1 with their English counterparts (Hit Points, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed), I noticed that every non-HP stat also had another "word" attached to them: "Ability". "Attack Ability", "Defense Ability", "Speed Ability", etc.. Even when the Special stats were a combined single stat in Gen I it was called "Special Ability" in Japan.

The dex is always mentioning a Pokemon's amazing speed, strength, stamina, or power even when the stats don't seem to support it (this is especially notable for Legendaries and Super Forms which have godly power yet can still be knocked out by a normal Pokemon). But that maybe is on the English side, having to shorten the "true" meaning of the Japanese stat name due to character limits. Having the "Ability" there is meant to indicate that the stats we're seeing isn't the Pokemon's "true" speed/strength/stamina/power but rather how much of it can tap into without exceeding non-lethal limits. Sure, Escavalier CAN charge around at high speeds, but it only does so against an opponent its attending to seriously harm. But for a battling competition or training, it's gonna hold back and unfortunately it's in a "all-or-nothing" situation where its either charging at top speed or is slowly hovering about. This compared to Ninjask which is both a speed demon in the dex and in its stats; its able to just slow itself down enough for competitive/training battles while still being very fast.

This could also be why Shadow Pokemon and Ultra Beasts are so dangerous. With Shadow Pokemon's hearts being locked and Ultra Beasts being aliens to our world, they don't know they should be holding back thus end up unintentionally hurting others and causing property/environmental damage. It's why Shadow Pokemon are always scoring critical hits and why the Ultra Beasts stats are so wonky; while its built into the battling system its also meant to show these Pokemon may not be exactly working with the "Stat Ability" numbers.

Pfft, what? It's just about a guy who ends up cheating on his girlfriend and has an internal struggle whether he should remain faithful or keep seeing the other girl... and every night since then he enters a nightmare world inhabited by bipedal sheep, having sheep horns himself and aside from his underwear is naked, where he and the other sheep must climb a tower of blocks or else fall into the abyss below and die in real life; occasionally also having to escape eldritch abominations made of his worst fears that'll kill him if they catch him.

... Okay, I can maybe see maybe that second part where the M-rating comes in, especially with all the blood. But the infidelity part? Pfft, have you played ORAS and done the Sea Mauville side quest?

Huh, okay, that's certainly weird.

I can only guess maybe it was used as test music the composer quickly whipped up, wanting something energetic and he played DP recently so that was on their mind. Outside of the nightmare sequences the other "half" of the gameplay you're in a bar Vincent (main character) and his friends go to at the end of the day. There's a few things you can do at the bar, talk with people (which can affect certain parts of the story for that character), have Vincent drink, check messages on Vincent's phone, etc.. One thing that can be done during the bar section is play an arcade game based on the story of Rapunzel which plays just like the nightmare tower climbing section (you play the prince climbing up the tower to "meet" with Rapunzel), a way to practice it without having to worry about dying. It's meant to be a "lighter" version of the tower climb and, though the in-game track is more mystical/sinister sounding, I could see maybe using this DP composition to get the feeling for that side game even if they didn't go with that tone.

There’s also a placeholder ranking test full of RSE characters. Looks like one of the devs really liked Pokemon…….. they could be among us….. right now…
This certainly says things about certain characters, lol.

• Noland, I guess I can see it for a way for him to unwind after Factory work. I could see him having played this game multiple times trying to get all the endings.
  • Who knew Prof. Birch was a gamer? Definitely would stick to Order, though would also be into completing the Rapunzel game.
  • Roxanne would be in for the story. Unlike Noland she usually goes all Order to see true love win through or all Chaos to indulge in forbidden passion.
  • Sabrina is in it for the character psychology and horror. She's never all Order or Chaos, she roleplays a mindset and chooses options that mindset would choose. She likes the boss monster designs and how they play into the current fears of Vincent's psyche.
  • Now I'm going to guess this is Mr. Stone as I don't see why Steven wouldn't put his first name in. I can see him relating to Vincent, Mr. Stone looks like a guy who's been through life having experienced love and loss, wondering "what if I chose to have done that instead".
  • Tate you little rascal, you know you're not supposed to playing this. Well he's an adolescents boy so you know what he's playing it for: gore and the "steamy" scenes (thus he always chooses Chaos). Though now I'm picturing him and Liza doing the Totem Pole Trench to purchase the game, Liza rolling her eyes the entire time and telling him "you better not telepathically send me whatever sick thoughts you get from playing that".
  • So it's not one person of Team Aqua, Magma, or Rocket playing it but rather both teams have the game in their rec room. Usually a few are playing the game, passing the controller along when they either get to the next level or die during the nightmare segments. However they do have some thoughtful discussion during the bar segments and confession rooms decisions. And I don't see any of the bosses or admins playing it.

Imperial Magala:
You forgot Pheromosa's and Buzzwole's:

Very fun idea, hopefully they do the same for the other Ultra Beasts.
Also the guys who encountered Buzzwole and Xurkitree are dead.

Oh, and BTW, today is Satoshi Tajiri's Birthday! He was born August 28th, 1965, meaning he's 57 years old!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Mr. Tajiri!
In honor to the bug collector, I have to bring up some minor but cool Bug facts. And in my opinion, the type has some really cool moves.

Coming first is First Impression. Did you know it has the highest base power of all priority moves? Now you do.

Next, the move Pollen Puff. There's something inherently cool with moves whose effects change depending on the target. This one for example hurts opponents, but heals allies.
Also the anime made the offensive version purple and yucky and I found it cute.
1661676030648.png

Another example is Vespiquen. Pokémon generally don't have more than one signature move, but this one had three:
  • Attack Order, a good Physical move in which she summons grubs to attack an opponent at range (this isn't a contact move);
  • Heal Order, a self-healing move in which grubs are giving healing to their queen;
  • and the weirdest animation of all, at least in Generations IV and V, Defend Order, a self-boosting move in which the summoned grubs hit each other (!?) to somehow increase her defensive stats. That is what I call a 200 IQ move.
Defend_Order_V.png
Additional fun Fact: the Order moves are all Clever moves in Contests.

A cool minor fact I like is Twineedle being the only move able to poison Steel-type Pokémon in Generation II.

Lastly, I find it amusing one of the lesser types in competitive Pokémon is given to two of the strongest boosting moves:
  • Tail Glow is the first move that boosts Sp. Atk by at least two stages. It increases it by three stages since Gen V.
  • Quiver Dance boosts Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed by one stage each. It's like a Calm Mind mixed with a Dragon Dance.

Attachments

• and the weirdest animation of all, at least in Generations IV and V, Defend Order, a self-boosting move in which the summoned grubs hit each other (!?) to somehow increase her defensive stats. That is what I call a 200 IQ move.
I think it's less them "hitting" each other so much as swarming to surround Vespiquen. Imagine she's basically wearing Bee Armor that you have to hit through to damage her

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
  • Heal Order, a self-healing move in which grubs are giving healing to their queen;
Defend_Order_V.png
To be fair Heal Order uses the same swarming animation with just a "healing" just with a green cloud, green orbs & sparkle effects instead of orange clouds, shockwave, & orange orbs effect:

So, trying to view this animation as someone who never seen them before, I would first initially think that Vespiquen is absorbing the life energy of her minions to either heal her or somehow increase her defenses (maybe adding the essence of their exoskeleton to her exoskeleton?).

I think it's less them "hitting" each other so much as swarming to surround Vespiquen. Imagine she's basically wearing Bee Armor that you have to hit through to damage her
Well, yeah, that's supposed be the idea via the Move description saying so, but if you just go by the animation it looks like the swarm just circles around Vespiquen and suddenly explode, which tbf isn't any different from Attack Order:

Now, while it would be neat if they did have the bee swarm do something different, I do understand just to get a move on they just reused that animation. I would say it's the special effects which fail to better illustrate what's going on, just assuming the player understands their shorthand for healing and stat increase. And this shorthand representation still goes on even to today (though Attack Order's bee swarm looks a bit different at least):

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Since we're discussing bugs, I'll mention something I love about them: Bug, as a type, probably has on average the best shinies overall. Seriously, a lot of them are downright gorgeous, which quite nicely mimics the way in which real-life bugs can have incredibly gaudy colourations.

I'm actually known in my local Pokemon Go group as the bug fanatic, since whenever I become lucky friends with someone I always ask if they have any spare shiny bugs (sadly, I am yet to obtain Mothim, one of the all-time best shinies ever). They're by far the most fun to hunt. One of my friends is a PVP fanatic and it genuinely stresses him out that I'd rather max out a lucky shiny Parasect or Crustle instead of a Dialga or something. But you know, different strokes.

It's funny how your tastes change. When I was younger and you could choose your overworld sprite in Gen IV and V, I invariably chose Ace Trainer or Rich Boy. Now? I'd probably go for Bug Maniac instead. When I was 11 I'd have said Fire was the best type, when I was 18 I'd have probably said Ice or Poison. But now? Probably Bug. Bugs rule!

bugs, bugs, glorious bugs.JPG

QuentinQuonce

Hilarious fact I learned recently: in RSE, it's possible to fake getting 100 wins in the Battle Tower. How? Through the following method:

Two players are required, who I'll call Player A and Player B.
  1. Player A needs to have the Trader in the Mauville Pokecentre (either natively or through record mixing), and swap him a Gold Shield for his offered decoration.
  2. Player B must then mix records with Player A and have the Trader migrate to their save file.
  3. Player B can then swap items with the Trader and thus potentially fraudulently acquire the Gold Shield. Player B may then display Player A's Gold Shield in their Secret Base, deceiving any and all visitors that they are a highly skilled trainer.
  4. Profit?

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

So in the Adventures manga the sixteen Kanto and Johto gym leaders take part in an exhibition tournament to determine which region is stronger and despite being a Johto boy at heart, with fierce loyalty to my tribe, I actually kind of dig the fact that they weren't afraid to let the Kanto gym leaders win overall. It would have been easy to just fluff it and have the result be four-all and to go "ah well, I guess the question of who is stronger is still to be decided!"

Instead, the writers had the guts to go "yeah, the Kanto gym leaders are stronger". And yeah some people might shrug and not be surprised because it's yet more Kanto pandering, but at the time Kanto and Johto were the only two regions so it wasn't as egregious as it might later be (like if the Kanto gym leaders had been the strongest of ALL the gym leaders of Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Galar etc). I think the individual results made sense based on type matchups and trainer experience levels, since the Kanto leaders overall are older and more experienced.

Brock lost to Jasmine
Misty beat Whitney
Lt Surge ties with Morty
Erika lost to Pryce
Janine forfeits to Falkner
Sabrina beat Bugsy
Blaine beat Clair
Blue beat Chuck

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Thinking about how Legends Arceus retroactively justified the re-use of a song in DPPt.

Ok, so to elaborate: In the original games, Eterna Forest's theme was re-used for Snowpoint Temple. This isn't very remarkable at all in the context of those games, other tracks were re-used for multiple areas and they probably figured "eh, sounds mysterious and ethereal enough for the ancient golem temple, chuck it in there". That's just how it was for a good 15 years.

Then comes PLA. First off, the more superficial aspect. Snowpoint Temple now gets its own theme where starting at 2:40 you hear a small bit of Eterna Forest mixed in. Cool nod, right? Aha, but that's not where it ends! No, this game established a deeper connection between these two locales flung across time periods.

Because remember what's one of the most iconic parts of Eterna Forest? That's right, your meeting with Cheryl! And conveniently enough, that's the same character whose ancestor you meet at Snowpoint in PLA. They subtly converted the Eterna Forest theme into the motif of Cheryl's lineage and I kinda love that. DPPt Snowpoint is no longer using a recycled track for the sake of it, it's the tune of its bygone guardian echoing throughout the ancient structure.

Ruby: "If two or more Wobbuffet meet, they will turn competitive and try to outdo the other's endurance. However, they may try to see which one can endure the longest without food. Trainers need to beware of this habit."

Intended or not, that is exactly what happens in Gen 3 when two Wobbuffet meet, and players do indeed need to beware.
I wonder if anyone ever got out of the Leftovers Wobbuffet mirror match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)