Little things you like about Pokémon

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Pokemon Village's encounter table.

You can find the 3 most sus Pokemon in this one location.
Jigglypuff too honestly. It lures people to sleep, gets mad, does an "evil deed". Since everyone is asleep, there are no witnesses.

Edit:
Hey remember that time Gothorita was sus last gen? There were claims of it victimizing lots of innocent stall Pokemon in Ubers and it almost got ejected into AG.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's where things gets interesting. The Ground type was uniquely qualified to not only effectively redirect Electric attacks, but exploit that ability to its fullest.
Honestly I don't think GF's thought went any deeper than this:
(This is really the only clip of the scene I could find on Youtube. Even trying to find a meme GIF was proving difficult)

This has the side effect of their names becoming a bit misleading though, just like for Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash. I like to call the birds Psychicuno, Fightdos and Darktres because of their new types.
The Type changes don't make sense in English (though they tried), but their Japanese name you could see where they took inspiration. Since you liked to my thoughts on the Regional Variants I won't repeat them.

Actually, an odd thing related to Alolan Sandshrew, it was Alolan Vulpix that the dex mentioned was given a regional nickname. Alolans call Alolan Vulpux "Keokeo" which comes from the Hawaiian word for "white": ke'oke'o. Don't know why they did this for Vulpix as nothing really about its Japanese name was a contradictory to its new Type. The only reason I think they didn't give one to the Sandshrew is because they'd probably would have used the Hawaiian word for "snow" for them... which is "hau kea". Whoops.

It seems Japan has a thing for fire and ice in combination, I have seen it in other video games too, I guess it is a cultural thing of some kind?
Nah, Fire & Ice are a classic combination as they're two opposing "elements".

Pokemon Village's encounter table.

You can find the 3 most sus Pokemon in this one location.
What Pokemon better to pretend to be villagers than Pokemon with the ability to pretend to be other things?

Still finding Among Us jokes funny should be considered a mental illness
Not when Amoonguss is one of the Pokemon...

Actually, an odd thing related to Alolan Sandshrew, it was Alolan Vulpix that the dex mentioned was given a regional nickname. Alolans call Alolan Vulpux "Keokeo" which comes from the Hawaiian word for "white": ke'oke'o. Don't know why they did this for Vulpix as nothing really about its Japanese name was a contradictory to its new Type. The only reason I think they didn't give one to the Sandshrew is because they'd probably would have used the Hawaiian word for "snow" for them... which is "hau kea". Whoops.
Probably just a matter of world building.

The Alolans were talking about a Pokémon called Keokeo, but when a foreigner went into the region to research it, they said "No, wait, this is just a white Vulpix."

Oh Poke-Jobs actually give EVs, at least the University ones. It depends on how long you put them in for.

I do wish the Cram-o-Matic had higher Apriball odds. Maybe like 40% of a specific Apriball, 50% combined of Poke, Great, Ultra, and a Special Ball (Net, Lux, etc.) and then a 10% combined of Sport or Safari.

But, it's ok I suppose.

Also, going back to older games, the landscapes are really nice. Specifically Kalos (since I'm replaying it currently). The caves and Route 8 and really nice. They have this nice sense of scale and awe that most of Galar just didn't have for me. Though the view from Rt 1 in Galar, and the cave holes in Crown Tundra give some really nice views, probably some of my favorite in the franchise.

Last edited:
So I was listening to comparisons between pre and post Gen 6 cries, and...

Doduo's new cry is such a good recreation of its old one. Most of the new cries either sound like the old cry with some thematic sound effects added on top (bubbles for Water-types, crackling flames for Fire-types, etc.) or just some filters, or it's barely recognizable as the old cry. Doduo is one of the few rare cases where the cry is instantly recognizable as the old cry, and yet it sounds completely organic and not like an 8-bit sound run through some filters.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
SWSH has one of the best intros in the series, it checks off so many boxes
  • Most of the key players in the story are established quickly (Hop, Sonia, Leon mainly)
  • The first Hop fight is a genuinely great tutorial that teaches the basic mechanics without spoonfeeding
  • Zacian/Zamazenta's intro at Slumbering Weald is really menacing and cool, I love the creepy, mystical mood and the unbeatable nature of the fight that really conveys how powerful and, well, legendary these creatures are
  • The fact you can skip the catching tutorial by catching a Pokemon beforehand. I guess a simple yes/no would be technically superior but idk I almost kinda prefer it this way? It's a weird personal preference thing I can't quite articulate but yeah
  • One cool detail I noticed is that for the first 2 routes while you got old gen mons mixed in, all the overworld Pokemon are either Gen 8 mons or Galarian Zigzagoon. This is a nice detail that prioritizes the new Pokemon/forms while still letting you get a few oldies
  • All of this is capped off pretty quickly (20-30 minutes at most) and ends off with you being free to explore the Wild Area at your own pace

I think RSE are better than ORAS.

…..

In terms of soundtracks that is! I just recently bought the RS Super Music Collection on my IPhone and I have been listening to it non stop. I really enjoy the music for the GBA games. To me, it feels like a perfect combination of Orchestrated music and synchronized music, though it’s probably safe to say that it was not orchestrated music for the soundtrack of RS. In contrast, I find Gens 1 and 2 too “ bitty “ for my liking and I think they are outclassed by their remake’s soundtracks. That being said, I still enjoy ORAS’s soundtracks, I just prefer RS over ORAS.

And a nice little detail about the Pidove line. Ever wonder why Pidove goes from Dove to Pheasant? Well accorded to Nintendo Dream, the Japanese word for Pheasant is Kiji. And the Japanese word for Pigeon is Hato. And Tranquill is based on the Oriental Dove, or Kijibato in Japanese. So the Pidove line is basically: Hato to Kijibato to Kiji, or in other words: Pigeon to Oriental Turtle Dove to Pheasant. In addition, Hato also means heart in Japanese, which is why the Pidove line has a heart motif to it. For such a forgettable Pokémon, the Pidove line is a great play on words, at last for the Japanese.

I like how the starters that can be caught through Island Scan in Gen 7 are placed in such a way that the early-gen starters are available early, and the late-gen starters are available late. The Kanto and Johto starters are found on Melemele, the Hoenn starters on Akala, the Sinnoh starters on Ula’ula, and the Unova and Kalos starters on Poni. The order they are available in matches the order of their generations. It is neat and it definitely feels intentional. It should have been obvious from the beginning, but I just never thought about it before.

I said once not too long ago that I like the events in HG/SS. After recently having re-experienced the Sinjoh Ruins event once more, I have to give it some extra praise. I really like it. Arceus creating one of the Sinnoh Dragons as the Arceus battle theme plays and various real-life images are shown... it is simple, but really cool. There aren't a lot of things I like about HG/SS, but this might actually be one of my top 5 favorite things from them. Really makes me wish this was available regularly in the games and not just only through an event. Still, having it available only through the event is better than not having it available at all!

I also really like the music that plays at Sinjoh ruins. It is mostly just a remix/variation of the Mt. Coronet theme from D/P/P, but it also features some parts from the Azure Flute theme, as well as some small parts from the Dialga/Palkia Battle theme, Giratina Battle theme and the Distortion World theme. Listen to it below:
I think it feels really nice and relaxing to listen to, but at the same time, it has a somewhat mysterious undertone which suits the whole area and event just perfectly.

Next up, I want to give some praise to yet another individual Pokémon.
1621701446803.png

This time, a wonder from Unova. Sigilyph. I have always thought it has an amazing design. It is just so weird in every possible way, I have no idea what it is supposed to be. And I love everything about it. Prior to Gen 7, it was my overall favorite Pokémon in terms of actual design. Now, it faces fierce competition from the Ultra Beasts and some others, but I still think it has one of the greatest Pokémon designs ever made. Speaking of UBs, Sigilyph feels like a prototype Ultra Beast in a way since it has a design that is really weird yet still successful, just like the UBs.
Fortunately, design isn’t the only thing that is great about Sigilyph. It can be quite good in battles too. Magic Guard is an amazing Ability, it also has decent stats and a solid movepool. I used a Sigilyph on my in-game team in Black and then again on my post-game team in White 2, it was really great on both of these teams.
Also, one very minor but really notable thing for me personally is that Sigilyph is one of the two shiny Pokémon I have randomly hatched from an egg (not through RNG breeding, just regular breeding), the other being Drilbur. I was not hunting for a shiny when I hatched either of them and I was not using international parents or anything either, they were completely random. Out of them, Sigilyph was the first one, meaning it was my first ever random shiny hatched from an egg. So that makes it even more special to me.

Lastly, one minor thing. Today is May 22nd. It is exactly 12 years since Platinum was released in Europe. Happy anniversary to the IMO best Sinnoh game and best 4th Gen game!

Last edited:
Next up, I want to give some praise to yet another individual Pokémon.
View attachment 342527
This time, a wonder from Unova. Sigilyph. I have always thought it has an amazing design. It is just so weird in every possible way, I have no idea what it is supposed to be. And I love everything about it. Prior to Gen 7, it was my overall favorite Pokémon in terms of actual design. Now, it faces fierce competition from the Ultra Beasts and some others, but I still think it has one of the greatest Pokémon designs ever made. Speaking of UBs, Sigilyph feels like a prototype Ultra Beast in a way since it has a design that is really weird yet still successful, just like the UBs.
It's the Nazca lines, one of the hundred-mile long etchings of animals in the Peruvian desert. I'm a fan of it too, probably because it's such a radically different source for a mon than anything else they've used.
Nazca.jpg
(I'm a little surprised they didn't do anything special with it in Galar, given the Geoglyphs in Turffield.)

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
The Cosmic Eclispe full arts that aren’t lazy:
With the last sun and moon set in the tcg, 4 gx cards got regular full arts, that aren’t just the pokemon with a one colour background! Granted the other gx’s had the normal full arts, but when you look at these ones, they don’t say lazy.

1621796792049.jpeg

1621796729901.jpeg

1621796088051.jpeg
fun fact: In Japan, the gx attack was called ‘light of the goddess’! guess pokemon’s worried the religious aspect’ll spark a controversy

1621796858565.jpeg

also technically they have rainbow rares but we don’t talk about that

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

A brief one, but I love Cilan, Chili, and Cress, so here we go. In their anime portrayals, the three of them love to accentuate what they say with hand gestures, but more importantly, they do it with rock/paper/scissors hand positions, which is cool, but more importantly, look at their respective hand positions for each one

Cilan=scissors
Chili=rock
Cress=paper

Their hand positions align with that, with Cilan using his two fingers (scissor), Chili with his fists (rock), and Cress using his open hands (paper). This also parallels their type specialties and the advantage/disadvantages they have: scissors beat paper, in which case Cilan beats Cress, which is because Grass is advantageous against Water, paper beats rock, Cress beating Chili, which ties into Water being advantageous against Fire, and rock beats scissors, paralleling Chili and Cilan, respectively, because Fire is advantageous against Grass.

The three of them are pretty great and lively personality-wise in the anime, moreso than in the games (they were kind of not memorable in the games), but their tendency to accentuate their own words with rock/paper/scissor hand positions ties wonderfully into the rock/paper/scissor dynamic that the Fire/Water/Grass type triangle plays on.

Chili and Cress using their fists and open hands, respectively is also seen in the games in their official game art and battle sprites, unfortunately it's less visible with Cilan since he always has his hands in the back of his head.

-----

A second thing I like, this is about Sword and Shield's DLC expansion areas namely, but I like that they added a bit of variety to similar kind of areas in the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra, so that it doesn't feel repetitive like in old games. People disliked Woobat being in Gen 5 because it was the same annoying mon in every cave that Zubat was in past games, and some people disliked some of the Gen 5 expies because they felt they were repeating the same annoying roles that certain Gen 1 Pokemon did, like with Boldore and Woobat showing up in every cave instead of Zubat and Graveler but it's the same issue. What Sword and Shield does instead is it lets both bats be in the game, especially in the DLC areas, but add variety to let a different bat infest different caves especially in the Isle and Tundra. While Woobat and Swoobat live in the caves of the Isle of Armor (and the first Galar Mine), Zubat and Golbat get to infest the caves of the Crown Tundra, and there's no overlap there so there's a spread: Galar takes advantage of the existence of both and adds variety to its caves in doing so. Not only with Woobat and Zubat, but in one cave in the Tundra and the second Galar mine, neither Zubat or Woobat shows up: instead, we get Noibat and Noivern. Plus Noibat/Noivern are also more prevalent in the main Wild Area, as opposed to Woobat/Zubat being in the IoA/CT more commonly. They even do something similar with Audino and Chansey, who fundamentally serve the same role of a rare Normal-type pink cleric spawn in whatever games they appear in that give tons of experience, and both of them show up in Sword and Shield's DLC, but they split it so that Chansey shows up across the Isle, while Audino serves that role in the Tundra. Even if the Gen 5 expies were disliked in their base game for copying the role of the Gen 1 Pokemon they derived from without replacing their existence entirely, later games like XY and especially Sword and Shield took advantage of the existence of Gen 1 and Gen 5 parallels to let both coexist in the same game but split their availability across areas to prevent repetitiveness, which I think is pretty darn neat. Same with other parallel Pokemon across generations, where they are spread out but co-exist in the same region at times, so it doesn't feel like I'm running into the same Pokemon every time.

Screenshot 2021-05-25 234633.png

Shiny Scizor in the GCN games was an amazing gold rather than the overused yellow-green and the fact that we missed out on Gold Mega Scizor gets me every time.
Screenshot 2021-05-25 235001.png
Screenshot 2021-05-25 234608.png

Stadium 2 was duller but did leaned towards yellow, but then Battle Revolution made all shinies main game accurate, leaving Scizor without this great shiny.

Last edited:

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
(after thinking about it more, these posts’ll stay in this thread, sorry if you saw my now deleted profile post yesterday)

Eevee Heroes alt arts(and the not eevees);​

1622301146069.jpeg

1622301167956.jpeg

1622301192703.jpeg

1622301223947.jpeg

1622301248309.jpeg

1622301264878.jpeg

1622028188201.jpeg

1622301296115.jpeg

1622301328700.jpeg

1622301343520.jpeg

1622301360699.jpeg

1622301472571.jpeg

1622301457546.jpeg

when better images come out for some cards, I’ll update them accordingly.
edit; updated with better images

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
some real great full arts but gotta laugh at the VMAX Glaceon because the perspective and scaling doesn't sell "super giant pokemon" as much as "this is an unusually large glaceon"

Also gotta say, LOVE the boxart for Legends Arceus
Damnit you beat me to it! But yeah this has gotta be like, the first time a mainline Pokemon game has genuinely had good, no, GREAT boxart. Was worried they were gonna cheap out and just put Arceus on a white background but this is way better. It actually reminds me of the PMD DX boxart!

Ooh, I was already stoked that Marshadow is getting a new card in the new set, neat that it also makes a cameo in this Sylveon card. I love that it's using the ribbon as a slide. Now I just need to hope I can get them without paying $$$. (I imagine the regular Marshadow won't be too bad, but that Sylveon card may be trickier)

Also gotta say, LOVE the boxart for Legends Arceus
Eh... the drawing seems fine, but it overall kind of looks like a generic open-world cover, with the player characters looking afar as if saying "I have a big world!"

(Not that the BDSP cover is any better, granted.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)