(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Run Away doesn't circumvent the Battle Pyramid's decreased escape chance.

It's like the one situation where Run
This has always annoyed me. As per Bulbapedia:

Run Away does not guarantee escape in the Battle Pyramid, but if a Pokémon with this Ability successfully flees, this escape will be credited to Run Away.
So you won't do your job half the time, but when you do, you want credit for doing it? Get bent.

A fairly "gluttons that wouldn't be satisfied with all the riches of heaven" complaint, but I think it's a shame that there's no updated post-DLC rematches with Team Star. They're the only notable trainers who didn't get an update!

Not being able to invite them to the League Club makes sense, and I can even see them still not getting Tera Orbs, but feels like they should have at least picked up a level bump for their Star base rematches after you see their final cutscene. If not a 6th Pokemon.

Fenzandipiti not being Poison/Flying really irritates me. The thing is a bird and can actually fly- yes there are bird Pokémon like Empoleon, Blaziken, and Espathra which are based on birds and aren’t Flying types, but those examples make sense not to be flying due to being based on Flightless birds- which Fezandipiti isn’t. Poison/Flying is also a rare type: Only the Zubat line has it, which in fact holds the record for longest unique type combo. And the Zubat line isn’t even in SV, giving Fezandipiti a niche potentially. On flip note, Poison Fairy is shared by Galarian Weezing, which is in the game.

But what makes me angry is that Poison/Flying would be amazing against Lando-I in VGC F right now. It has Icy Wind and Toxic Chain is actually really annoying, which could Fezandipiti a niche.

Fenzandipiti not being Poison/Flying really irritates me. The thing is a bird and can actually fly- yes there are bird Pokémon like Empoleon, Blaziken, and Espathra which are based on birds and aren’t Flying types, but those examples make sense not to be flying due to being based on Flightless birds- which Fezandipiti isn’t. Poison/Flying is also a rare type: Only the Zubat line has it, which in fact holds the record for longest unique type combo. And the Zubat line isn’t even in SV, giving Fezandipiti a niche potentially. On flip note, Poison Fairy is shared by Galarian Weezing, which is in the game.

But what makes me angry is that Poison/Flying would be amazing against Lando-I in VGC F right now. It has Icy Wind and Toxic Chain is actually really annoying, which could Fezandipiti a niche.
Not to mention STAB on (Technician) Dual Wingbeat or Brave Bird would give Fezandipiti some amount of offensive pressure even off its low Attack stat. Would pair well with EQ users and 2 high power moves would make it easier for it to leverage utility options like Tailwind, Icy Wind, or Taunt.

QuentinQuonce

Idly started looking at Bulbapedia's page on unique type combinations after reading this and it's slightly hilarious to see stuff like "Sudowoodo - Rock" and "Tangela - Grass" listed as unique type combinations because they were the only Pokemon to be pure Rock and pure Grass in gen II and gen I respectively. Early gens were so funny with type distributions, like Ice was paired with five other types before there was a solely Ice-typed Pokemon.

Some rare type combos make sense(Normal is rarely paired with most types, anything/Psychic Dark Fairy or Dragon is going to be rare), but then there's ones like Fire/Electric. Both are energy, electrical fires are common, both can burn, so why is Rotom-Heat the only mon in history with that type? And I'm not asking for that one specifically, but just looking at the list, there's some clear gaps that still haven't been filled.

QuentinQuonce

Some rare type combos make sense(Normal is rarely paired with most types, anything/Psychic Dark Fairy or Dragon is going to be rare), but then there's ones like Fire/Electric. Both are energy, electrical fires are common, both can burn, so why is Rotom-Heat the only mon in history with that type? And I'm not asking for that one specifically, but just looking at the list, there's some clear gaps that still haven't been filled.
IIRC there was an interview years back where one of the Game Freak staff mentioned that Fire Pokemon are some of the hardest ones to design - no animals in the real world set themselves on fire, so you have to look to more abstract concepts.

A Pokemon based around an electrical fire would be a hard sell imo. Most inorganic Pokemon are based around neutral items like keys or magnets, but an electrical fire is pretty unambiguously a bad thing. Obviously there are some that go against this idea - Voltorb is based on a bomb, for instance - but bombs are a concept that children's media has pretty thoroughly neutered, and most Pokemon that incorporate weapons in their design are organic ones.

Quite frankly I'm astounded there's never been a straightforward Electric-type cheetah Pokemon tbh: cheetahs are 1) yellow and black and 2) the fastest land mammals on earth. Obviously Raikou exists to step on that concept's toes but Raikou takes more inspiration from tigers (interestingly though, several sources note Suicune as being cheetah-influenced, which fits given the emphasis on its fabled swiftness). Fun fact, years ago I created a bunch of Pokemon concepts as part of a broader "if I got to direct a Pokemon game" document and actually did design a three-stage Fire/Electric cheetah Pokemon (can't resist sharing the notes I made on it, but I'll spoiler-tag them below so as not to be 100% self-indulgent)

As someone pointed out to me a while back though, Fire pairings are tricky. We've only had one proper Fire/Grass Pokemon, one Fire/Water Pokemon, and one Fire/Normal pairing to date, and haven't seen a full Fire/Ice type either. It's not a type that lends itself to pairings easily, and it's very dominant in a lot of the designs of Pokemon who are part-Fire.

Stage 1 (pure Fire-type): a small cat that curls up to conserve heat and can only use limited Fire techniques like Ember and Flame Wheel
Stage 2 (pure Fire-type): a medium-sized polecat or wildcat. Evolving has given it increased aggression and greater power, but it's unskilled at using Fire moves properly and constantly sets its fur alight, and has to shake itself every so often to snuff out any stray flames on its body
Stage 3 (Fire/Electric-type): fully grown into a lithe, adult form, it has become swift and graceful. It moves so quickly that it leaves burning cinders behind it, and defeats opponents by confounding them with its speed rather than by brute force.

I think Fire/Electric could also work by focusing on plasma as its 'element:' something generally very hot and that can be (temporarily) produced by combustion and has strong electromagnetic interactions. I could see both a mon that uses its Electric typing to direct and control its fire aspect as well as one that electrolyzes compounds (e.g. water) into more flammable components (or directly ionizes a chemically inert substance, like the argon torches in spectrometers). Of course, I don't consider there to be any reason to use earth animals as a starting point.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
With the arival of Gen 9, we have seen a new move get added to the Universal TMs list in Tera Blast. For the most part, the only Pokémon that cannot learn this move are mons that can't learn any TMs at all. However, there is one exception to this, where a mon that can learn TMs cannot learn Tera Blast by any means.

What is the mon in question? Well...
1704142394490.png

With the arival of Gen 9, we have seen a new move get added to the Universal TMs list in Tera Blast. For the most part, the only Pokémon that cannot learn this move are mons that can't learn any TMs at all. However, there is one exception to this, where a mon that can learn TMs cannot learn Tera Blast by any means.

Funnily, I both mentioned this to someone else a couple pages ago, plus there's two real explanation for it.

One being that its signature move is literally Tera Blast on steroids.

The other is that probably Tera Blast is caused by the Terastal energy "forced" into a pokemon via the crystal / tera orb and being expelled out on command, whereas Terapagos is probably made of said energy (or something on these lines) and can't just "expel it on command". In fact, when infused with Tera energy, he transforms into a completely different form in first place.

TLDR: Being the (potential) source of Terastal phenomena, Terapagos is probably unironically unable to shoot tera energy on command.

Funnily, I both mentioned this to someone else a couple pages ago, plus there's two real explanation for it.

The other is that probably Tera Blast is caused by the Terastal energy "forced" into a pokemon via the crystal / tera orb and being expelled out on command, whereas Terapagos is probably made of said energy (or something on these lines) and can't just "expel it on command". In fact, when infused with Tera energy, he transforms into a completely different form in first place.

TLDR: Being the (potential) source of Terastal phenomena, Terapagos is probably unironically unable to shoot tera energy on command.

And the fact that Tera Blast can only be one type for Terapagos means that it’s less useful as opposed to normal Pokémon.

I thought they were gonna go the opposite direction, with Terapagos being the only Pokemon to learn Tera Blast through level-up.

I think Fire/Electric could also work by focusing on plasma as its 'element:' something generally very hot and that can be (temporarily) produced by combustion and has strong electromagnetic interactions. I could see both a mon that uses its Electric typing to direct and control its fire aspect as well as one that electrolyzes compounds (e.g. water) into more flammable components (or directly ionizes a chemically inert substance, like the argon torches in spectrometers). Of course, I don't consider there to be any reason to use earth animals as a starting point.
1704161415376.png

Potential? It is explicitly stated to be the source in the Scarlet entry for its baby form.

So, regular moves turning into Legendary signature moves upon form change bothers me a bit. Iron Head turning into Behemoth Blade/Bash during combat if the Galar dogs are holding the items that change their form in combat is quite counterintuitive, and IMO it would have worked better if they had gotten an specific Steel move for their non-crowned formes that outright stated it would change, rather than the standard physical Steel attack.

However, that's not the worst offender. Kyurem, my dude, it has been almost 12 years. Scary Face turning into Fusion Flare/Bolt makes no sense. We no longer have the excuse of PP ups, seeing those will be reset upon transfering into new games. Just... go the way the other fusions work, and rework the mess.

Glaciate was supposed to be a failure at pulling a Fusion move; have that one turn into the Fusion moves. Keep Freeze Shock and Ice Burn as attacks that are attempted to be learned upon form change, and forgotten once returning to normal. Rotom was able to do that the gen before Kyurem was introduced. Necrozma can do that with ease. Calyrex has the entire movepool of its fusees at its disposal ONLY when fused.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, regular moves turning into Legendary signature moves upon form change bothers me a bit. Iron Head turning into Behemoth Blade/Bash during combat if the Galar dogs are holding the items that change their form in combat is quite counterintuitive, and IMO it would have worked better if they had gotten an specific Steel move for their non-crowned formes that outright stated it would change, rather than the standard physical Steel attack.

However, that's not the worst offender. Kyurem, my dude, it has been almost 12 years. Scary Face turning into Fusion Flare/Bolt makes no sense. We no longer have the excuse of PP ups, seeing those will be reset upon transfering into new games. Just... go the way the other fusions work, and rework the mess.

Glaciate was supposed to be a failure at pulling a Fusion move; have that one turn into the Fusion moves. Keep Freeze Shock and Ice Burn as attacks that are attempted to be learned upon form change, and forgotten once returning to normal. Rotom was able to do that the gen before Kyurem was introduced. Necrozma can do that with ease. Calyrex has the entire movepool of its fusees at its disposal ONLY when fused.
I will be honest, I had no idea this actually occurred due to not playing competitive and not actually using Legendaries in game.

It is quite stupid and now very annoying that I know of it.

Glaciate has always corresponded to the level other forms Kyurem learn Freeze Shock/Ice Burn, rather than the Fusion moves. This happened to match when Reshiram and Zekrom learned their fusion moves in gens 5-7, but was changed in gen 8. Now all of them learn fusion moves (or Scary Face) at level 48 and Glaciate/Ice Burn/Freeze shock have been moved to level 80 in what would probably be the Blue Flare/Bolt Strike slot had they not decided to also give Kyurem Sheer Cold. So to remove Scary Face from the equation, the Fusion moves would probably be the ones that are learned on form change while Glaciate becomes Freeze Shock or Ice Burn.

the issue imo is not so much whether they correlate to reshiram and zekrom correctly, but that base kyurem is just... missing a move? would it have been so hard to create another signature move for kyurem that turned into fusion flare/bolt? it's not like base kyurem doesn't need, say, a physical ice move that isn't icicle spear.

and even failing that, just not having the base move for fusion flare/bolt be A Damn TM would suffice. the moment scary face became a TM, the transforming move should have become something else. something that won't ever be a TM, like ancient power or something. how do they keep fumbling minor but very simple details

Thematically it feels appropriate for Kyurem to be missing a move and not having a corresponding Fusion Move
Likewise it feels appropriate for Kyurem to "steal" the fusion move from the one it fuses with, since it has 1 of 2 unique super moves to fill in the other signature move.

Just having it swap in on Scary Face -of all moves- is a weird choice, though. I guess they wanted it to be an "enhanced" aesthetic so they wanted it to be another move upgrade like Glaciate rather than an additional move tacked onto the moveset, but Scary Face was just, like, the most expendable move...??
And now it's tradition so we're just stuck with it, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 21)