(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The funny part is the dialogue line.

If you have Ogerpon in the boxes, she'll ask to get her out.

If you don't have Ogerpon at all (due to releasing or trading), she'd be like "why would you ever do something like that?".

And she's right, YOU MONSTER, how could you abandon Ogerbonk :row:
Carmine: Where's Ogerpon?
Me: At the Bank.
Carmine: What?! She finally opened up to someone and you sent her away! Go get her!
Me: Nah, she's fine.
Carmine: Why?
Me: She's been a mountain hermit for how many years? If she's going to be part of modern society she needs to learn how to save her money and finance; buy a home that's not a low ceiling cave.
Carmine: I, guess?
Me: Speaking of accused negligence, how's Kieran?
Carmine: I'll ignore that accusation, and Kieran is doing fine.
Kieran: I NEED MORE POWER!

EDIT: Wow, how did I derp on we've long moved onto HOME from Bank. Um, second try?

Carmine: Where's Ogerpon?
Me: At HOME.
Carmine: What?! She finally opened up to someone and you sent her away! Go get her!
Me: Nah, she's fine.
Carmine: Why?
Me: She's been a mountain hermit for how many years? Compared to that low ceiling cave with nothing soft to sleep on, HOME is a 5-star resort with all the friends she could ever want.
Carmine: Huh, I guess you got a point.
Me: Speaking of accused negligence, how's Kieran?
Carmine: I'll ignore that accusation, and Kieran is doing fine.
Kieran: I WILL DESTROY ALL THOSE YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME!

Last edited:
Also feels kinda weird using Home in a speedrun. Couldn’t you just use that and put in a mon at LV 25 to cheese the main game? (due to the new obedience mechanics)

Besides, a Homeless run just sounds wonderful
Home doesn't really matter here because it takes more time than the menus added as a result of Ogerpon being caught, and the solution to the latter was already releasing Ogerpon to avoid those interactions.

I didn't mean illegal as in "not allowed to do this by rules" I mean illegal as in "you are a terrible person if you are willing to release Ogerpon for the sake of this run attempt"

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Home doesn't really matter here because it takes more time than the menus added as a result of Ogerpon being caught, and the solution to the latter was already releasing Ogerpon to avoid those interactions.

I didn't mean illegal as in "not allowed to do this by rules" I mean illegal as in "you are a terrible person if you are willing to release Ogerpon for the sake of this run attempt"
I didn’t think you were? I was just commenting on how it would feel weird to me personally to do a speedrun of a Pokemon Game whilst also using Home.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Team Aqua, the group that wants to create more space for Pokemon, makes their base in an industrial plant devoid of organic life.

Team Magma, the group that wants to create more space for people, makes their base in a naturalistic cave full of wild Pokemon.
I feel like that might have been intentional irony due to how blatant it is. Or to highlight stupidity or hypocrisy idk.

Last edited:
I swear I'm not wishlisting with this, but it's funky how two types commonly associated with Speed (and even have moves and abilities related to Speed) in Electric and Flying have zero priority moves of their own.
Preview info for SV says this MIGHT change for the former with Raging Bolt slated to get an Electric Sucker Punch clone as a Signature move, but Flying is bizarre and even the former is still a conditional Priority move.

Presumably because they don't want to have them without Mega Rayquaza, and they can't bring back Mega Rayquaza without bringing back the rest of the Megas.
Just make Mega Ray like Eternamax where it's a form that exists in lore but you can't use. It's about that broken where Ubers is concered. /j

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I swear I'm not wishlisting with this, but it's funky how two types commonly associated with Speed (and even have moves and abilities related to Speed) in Electric and Flying have zero priority moves of their own.
I mean it kinda makes sense for me, i.e that they’re so fast themselves they don’t have a need to rely on priority moves. (OBVIOUSLY IM NOT TALKING COMPETITIVE HERE THIS IS JUST INGAME HEADCANON)

There's a recurring thing in Pokemon that constantly bothers me: the pairing of Ghost and Dark moves. Offensively, Ghost and Dark are probably the most similar types in the game. Both are strong against Ghost and Psychic, and both are resisted by Dark and formerly Steel. The only differences are that Ghost is ineffective against Normal, while Dark is weak against Fighting and Fairy. And yet many in-game trainers throughout the generations pair them together.

Because I'm bad at prioritizing my time, I sifted through Bulbapedia's list of game characters and found as many instances of Ghost + Dark moves as I could. I present my results, with a few exclusions:
  • If the moves are different categories, like Night Slash + Shadow Ball. This also means nothing before gen 4.
  • If not due to category, there is some conceivable reason to run both moves. For example, pairing Shadow Claw and Sucker Punch (reliability and priority) or Dark Pulse + Ominous Wind (power + boosts)
  • If the Ghost move is some weak shit like Astonish or Lick, because those don't count as moves. Also I don't want this list flooded with early-game Zubats.
Blaine's Houndoom in his HGSS rematch (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Giovanni's Honchkrow in the HGSS Celebi event (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Silver's Sneasel in HGSS Mt. Moon and Indigo Plateau rematch (Shadow Claw + Faint Attack)
Silver's Gengar in HGSS Dragon's Den and Indigo Plateau rematch (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Morty's Gengar in B2W2 Johto Leaders Tournament (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Kimono Girl Zuki's Umbreon in HGSS (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Sidney's Zoroark in ORAS rematch (Shadow Claw + Night Slash)
Phoebe's Chandelure in ORAS rematch (Hex + Dark Pulse)
Fantina's Banette in Platinum rematch (Shadow Claw + Faint Attack)
Fantina's Spiritomb in B2W2 Sinnoh Leaders Tournament (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Cynthia's Spiritomb in Platinum before Stark Mountain (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Cyrus's Houndoom in USUM Rainbow Rocket (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Mysterial's Haunter is Battle Revolution Poketopia Championship (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Battle Hall's Group 3 Absol in Platinum (Shadow Claw + Night Slash)
Cheren's Liepard in BW Victory Road rematch and B2W2 memory link (Shadow Claw + Night Slash)
Shauntal's Gengar in B2W2 Challenge Mode rematch (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Grimsley's Honchkrow in SM and USUM Battle Tree (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Grimsley's Liepard in SM and USUM Battle Tree (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Ghetsis's Cofagrigus in USUM Rainbow Rocket (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Morimoto's Gengar in USUM (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Team Flare Aliana's Druddigon in XY rematch (Shadow Claw + Crunch)
Team Flare Bryony's Bisharp in XY rematch (Shadow Claw + Night Slash)
Lysandre's Honchkrow in USUM Rainbow Rocket (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Acerola's Banette in USUM first match (Shadow Claw + Feint Attack
Hala's Bewear in SM and USUM rematches (Shadow Claw + Brutal Swing)
Nanu's Sableye in SM and UM rematches (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Kahili's Crobat in SM rematch (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Gladion's Weavile in SM title defense (Shadow Claw + Night Slash)
Plumeria's Gengar in SM and USUM title defense (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Guzma's Honchkrow in M and UM Battle Tree (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Guzma's Toxicroak in M and UM Battle Tree (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Guzma's Liepard in M and UM Battle Tree (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
wtf Guzma why do three of your Battle Tree mons have the same accursed combo
Green's Gengar in Let's Go (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Allister's Gengar in SS champion battles (Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse)
Piers's Obstagoon in SS all instances (Shadow Claw + Throat Chop)
Chairman Rose's Perrserker in SS (Shadow Claw + Throat Chop)
Sordward's Doublade in SS multi battle (Shadow Claw + Night Slash)

There were also a few instances of Dark mons with Ghost moves and no Dark STAB, like Lysandre's Yveltal in Rainbow Rocket, but I don't want to sift back through that list for them all.
Yay more of this

When facing Nemona or Clavell at the climaxes of their respective story paths, their starter Pokemon have moves for both of their STABs, as one would expect a dual-type Pokemon to have. Quaquaval has Aqua Step and Brick Break, Skeledirge has Torch Song and Shadow Ball, and Meowscarada has Flower Trick and... Shadow Claw.

Clavell's starter is fought at level 61, and Nemona's at level 66. Meowscarada learns Night Slash at level 38 and Knock Off at level 52.

Fully evolved half way through >>>>>>>>>>> The third worst fire type in the series hitting its still incredibly unimpressive second stage at 41.
I can evolve again immediately, though (into something that definitely isn't among the worst Fire types in the series, especially by Gen 5 standards). 41 is probably excessive but I do think it's fine if stone/trade evolutions get their 2nd stages a bit later than most other Pokemon to make up for the fact that they can evolve again as soon as the item to do so is obtained.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 10)