(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Team Aqua, the group that wants to create more space for Pokemon, makes their base in an industrial plant devoid of organic life.

Team Magma, the group that wants to create more space for people, makes their base in a naturalistic cave full of wild Pokemon.
Well magma didn't hate pokemon and didn't refuse to cohabit, they just wanted to sTOP overpopulation. I think that they're The less stupid since water Can always go underground and be exploitable

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I honestly don't know if this post would be leaning too far into competitive play for the purpose of an Orange Islands thread, but I wasn't sure where else to complain about this. So by this point I'm sure you all know about the Ghost and Dragon-Types. (I mean, if you're enough of a Pokémon fan to even want to be on this site, I'd hope you know about all of the Types by this point.) These are the only two Types in the game whose attacks can inflict super-effective (2x) damage onto Pokémon of their own Type. The idea that any Pokémon type is able to do this is something I have a pretty big problem with from a game balance perspective because of how Pokémon handles the Speed stat and turn priority. To represent why I have an issue with this, let's take a look at two Hoenn Dragon-Types with very similar designs for the purpose of Pokémon battles:

:bw/salamence: :bw/rayquaza:

With most Types that may attempt to win a mirror match against a different species of the same type, there tends to be a lot of factors that might determine which Pokémon comes out on top. A Water-Type with access to Thunderbolt, for example, would be more likely to win against an opposing Water-Type that doesn't have any Electric or Grass-Type moves. Admittedly, there are still dual-typed Pokémon to take into consideration here, but either way most of these Pokémon generally won't run into this issue since those Types of attacks are either neutral to or resisted by their own Types. Since a player's best checks to a Ghost or Dragon-Type Pokémon might often be their own Ghost or Dragon-Type Pokémon's STAB attacks respectively, however, this dynamic suddenly becomes warped. More specifically, the matchup between these Pokémon will often become warped in favor of the faster Pokémon regardless of other qualities such as held items, Abilities, et cetera. Take a look at Salamence and Rayquaza again. Someone who's just discovering a Pokémon as strong as Rayquaza exists for the very first time would be understanding to think it could win a matchup versus a Salamence. In practice, the Salamence, assuming both Pokémon have the same amount of Speed IVs and EVs, would be much more likely to win since it's slightly faster than Rayquaza and still has the offensive stats to prey on Rayquaza's lower defenses by Legendary standards.

Especially with how many strong Ghost-Types exist in recent generations, I don't think it's smart for this kind of thing to be a factor when these types are supposed to be the ones that can check themselves as a way of keeping these Pokémon from being overpowered. Even in single player, we've seen this interaction be a major factor in pushing certain Pokémon like Cynthia's Garchomp, Morty's Gengar (mainly in HGSS because of special Ghost moves being a thing, but still), Shauntal's Chandelure, and Dragon Dance Haxorus used by either the player or an NPC over the edge by further limiting how many viable options casual and experienced players may have to deal with those threats. In fact, I'm convinced Garchomp was specifically designed to do this- its base Speed outspeeds even Palkia, not even the part-Steel-Type Dialga is safe because of its Ground STAB, and the only other Pokémon in any of the Sinnoh games with a good type matchup that could also match its pace would be Weavile and... your own Garchomp. All other options lose to at least one of either Brick Break, Flamethrower, or Poison Jab (BDSP).

I think this one can go here because it's an entirely subjective one and more "missed opportunity" than something I think is done wrong.

Quaquaval already kind of gave the sense to me that while Paldea was based primarily on the Iberian Peninsula they weren't keeping the Regional Focus to JUST Spain/Portugal, as its design (while not SOLELY based on this) brings to mind Carnival Dancers from Brazil. Brazil also happens to be home to Liberdade, a District in the City of Sao Paulo and home to one of, if not THE, largest Japanese Ethnic populations outside of Japan itself.

[EDIT: This is not me saying Quaquaval was supposed to directly reference such an idea. I do though mention it because it bring Brazil to mind and Starters are always part of the "face" of a Region for the playerbase]

I think it could have been a neat approach to have the Teal Mask, rather than taking place in a relatively straight/traditional Japanese-based region (something I think the series has already touched on back with Johto in Gen 2), it had taken a bit after a setting like this, as a sort of melting pot/meet-in-the-middle point between the base game's location and the return to the developers' home culture (which, Legends Arceus aside, admittedly hasn't had a region in almost 15 years).

Again, minor and not a condemnation of the Teal Mask, but just a bit bummed because the writers had a really specific and unique set of stars aligning for their usual cultural basis design of Regions and it just kind of passed for something more safe/simple/traditional.

Last edited:
I think this one can go here because it's an entirely subjective one and more "missed opportunity" than something I think is done wrong.

Quaquaval already kind of gave the sense to me that while Paldea was based primarily on the Iberian Peninsula they weren't keeping the Regional Focus to JUST Spain/Portugal, as its design (while not SOLELY based on this) brings to mind Carnival Dancers from Brazil. Brazil also happens to be home to Liberdade, a District in the City of Sao Paulo and home to one of, if not THE, largest Japanese Ethnic populations outside of Japan itself.

I think it could have been a neat approach to have the Teal Mask, rather than taking place in a relatively straight/traditional Japanese-based region (something I think the series has already touched on back with Johto in Gen 2), it had taken a bit after a setting like this, as a sort of melting pot/meet-in-the-middle point between the base game's location and the return to the developers' home culture (which, Legends Arceus aside, admittedly hasn't had a region in almost 15 years).

Again, minor and not a condemnation of the Teal Mask, but just a bit bummed because the writers had a really specific and unique set of stars aligning for their usual cultural basis design of Regions and it just kind of passed for something more safe/simple/traditional.
Contrary to what a lot of fans (and especially Fakemon designers) seem to think, most Pokémon in any given region have nothing to do with the culture of the real world location it's based on.

So by this point I'm sure you all know about the Ghost and Dragon-Types. (I mean, if you're enough of a Pokémon fan to even want to be on this site, I'd hope you know about all of the Types by this point.) These are the only two Types in the game whose attacks can inflict super-effective (2x) damage onto Pokémon of their own Type. The idea that any Pokémon type is able to do this is something I have a pretty big problem with from a game balance perspective because of how Pokémon handles the Speed stat and turn priority.
snipped most of the post but wanted to post about how much i agree with weak-to-itself being bad game design. dragon-types had a chokehold on the competitive scene because of it, and right when they fixed it (by adding fairy, which while a bit too strong for other factors, is incredibly necessary as a dragon immunity), and the ghost type is arguably even more out of whack than dragon ever was - it just lacks the higher number of high BST mons dragon had to exploit it fully.

obviously ghost can't be solved the same way dragon was, because it makes no sense to remove its immunity to normal, but changing the weakness it has to itself to another one would go a long way. maybe even dragon itself? it does only hit itself super effectively...

We all agree that Aromatisse not being a plague doctor was sin, right?
Definitely want to know what possessed them to go for a burlesque aesthetic of all things. Feels like a ballroom dancer, or more specifically masquerade, would have probably worked better

bizarre little gremlin
I like the weird fusion! It still evokes the plague doctor mask, but being a can-can dancer is a fun twist that gives it a more explicitly French design inspiration

snipped most of the post but wanted to post about how much i agree with weak-to-itself being bad game design. dragon-types had a chokehold on the competitive scene because of it, and right when they fixed it (by adding fairy, which while a bit too strong for other factors, is incredibly necessary as a dragon immunity), and the ghost type is arguably even more out of whack than dragon ever was - it just lacks the higher number of high BST mons dragon had to exploit it fully.

obviously ghost can't be solved the same way dragon was, because it makes no sense to remove its immunity to normal, but changing the weakness it has to itself to another one would go a long way. maybe even dragon itself? it does only hit itself super effectively...
Makes Ghost weak to Psychic and removed Psychic being weak to it, thus solving Psychic being mediocre

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
There are 2 type triangles where if 1 type resisted itself they'd work for starter types.
This is true; for anyone who’s wondering, it’s Fighting, Rock, and Flying for the second one. Coincidentally, each of the two triangles would have represented a different attacking category prior to the physical-special split, so maybe this was intentional.

This. Modern-day Ghost typing is insanely good. Normal immunity, can’t be trapped, no longer resisted by Steel, and the list of powerful Ghost-Type attacks like Astral Barrage and Last Respects is getting out of hand. The lack of Pursuit in the game feels like the final nail in the coffin (pun intended). That’s to say nothing of Pokémon with busted Abilities like Aegislash, Mimikyu, and Gholdengo, too.

Edit: Ghost is also only really checked by the otherwise underwhelming Dark-Type as far as matchup spreads are concerned since the Normal matchup is a stalemate on both ends. It sure would be a shame if Ghost could be paired with a type like, say, Fighting, to become borderline unstoppable given the right circumstances.

This is true; for anyone who’s wondering, it’s Fighting, Rock, and Flying for the second one. Coincidentally, each of the two triangles would have represented a different attacking category prior to the physical-special split, so maybe this was intentional.
I was actually thinking about Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground which are a Rock and a Ground self resist away from having the exact same interactions with each other as Fire/Water/Grass

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Normal immunity and trapping immunity aren't that incredible; Fighting Immunity is probably more relevant and even then that doesn't inherently make Ghost OP.

I also feel like ghost v ghost isn't nearly as prevelant a thing as dragon v dragon was, regardless of how good the ghost type is...
I feel like in practice, Ghost being effective against itself is very useful on account of the Ghost and Psychic-Types each having two of the same weaknesses. Having a fast and strong Ghost essentially doubles as a Ghost check and a Psychic counter in one team slot. Yes, I get that Dark-Types can do that too, but they can’t do this without also being weak to Fighting, Bug, and Fairy. That’s just my opinions though. :)

So both Isle of Armor & Teal Mask have this segment that expect you to have Kubfu & Ogerpon for a chunk of the game. But, since they don't limit the ability to trade them or store them in Home, and they obviously dont want you to be locked out of content if you can't get them back, they still let you do those segments with just some slight tweaks to the dialog
That's fine, funny even.

Unfortunately this means the optimal Teal Mask speedrun strategy, due to various menuing reasons that add up.... is to release Ogerpon! ough

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
So both Isle of Armor & Teal Mask have this segment that expect you to have Kubfu & Ogerpon for a chunk of the game. But, since they don't limit the ability to trade them or store them in Home, and they obviously dont want you to be locked out of content if you can't get them back, they still let you do those segments with just some slight tweaks to the dialog
That's fine, funny even.

Unfortunately this means the optimal Teal Mask speedrun strategy, due to various menuing reasons that add up.... is to release Ogerpon! ough
Game really said “it’s all ogre now”

That's fine, funny even.

How many Pokemon does the Speedrun use, since I understood a lot of Speedruns would just pump a couple specific Pokemon like Flamigo. Does the Speedrun not leave room to simply have Ogerpon in an empty slot and skip having to open the box to put her in the party or release her? I know she has a few seconds of animation in the Carmine talks, but do those add up to more than the time to open the box to do the Release (which is at least a few seconds menuing plus the "bye-bye" animation)?

How many Pokemon does the Speedrun use, since I understood a lot of Speedruns would just pump a couple specific Pokemon like Flamigo. Does the Speedrun not leave room to simply have Ogerpon in an empty slot and skip having to open the box to put her in the party or release her? I know she has a few seconds of animation in the Carmine talks, but do those add up to more than the time to open the box to do the Release (which is at least a few seconds menuing plus the "bye-bye" animation)?
Yeah I believe that messing with the box to release is still faster than dealing with the extra bit of menuing in the battle (since you now have to wait out the "want to switch?" dialog)+ any extra dialog/scenes

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's fine, funny even.

How does that work? Isn’t it 100% necessary to have Ogerpon in your team for
the final battle verse Carmine - iirc the only content after catching Ogerpon that is part of the main story

How does that work? Isn’t it 100% necessary to have Ogerpon in your team for
the final battle verse Carmine - iirc the only content after catching Ogerpon that is part of the main story
Nope, if you don't have Ogerpon in your boxes or party there is a special line of dialogue and then the battle starts like normal

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 10)