(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Dynamax mons get a bunch of immunities, but the immunity to weight-based moves stands out. It's not like Heavy Slam is known for being broken, after all. And if they're blaming it on Dynamax mons being overly large, then why don't they just make them take max damage from Low Kick/Grass Knot? Nope, just give them a blanket immunity.
I could see an automatic max power from moves like Low Kick/Grass Knot (and a minimim-power Heavy Slam/Heat Crash) being a good way to make the moves fit in with the "huge" gimmick of Dynamax, but the reason why they're made to fail is because Dynamaxed Pokémon don't have a defined weight value.

I don't care enough to look it up but I was under the impression that Dynamaxing doesn't actually cause a size shift for the Pokémon; rather, it's a projection with added power and size but no mass. Low Kick isn't going to work against a Dynamaxed Pokémon because you can't trip a hologram.

I don't care enough to look it up but I was under the impression that Dynamaxing doesn't actually cause a size shift for the Pokémon; rather, it's a projection with added power and size but no mass. Low Kick isn't going to work against a Dynamaxed Pokémon because you can't trip a hologram.
That creates more questions than answers, though.

The most likely reason as to why weight-based moves don't work when the user or the target is a Dynamax/Gigantamax is because they never defined how much bigger a Dynamax Pokémon is.

Yes, we have sizes for Gigantamax, but regular Dynamax does not have measurements.

tl;dr They never thought of it.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been assembling a Living Pokedex this year, and there are just two Pokemon I still don't have: Volcanion and Zarude.

I've gone to all three GameStops in my city and found no sign of the Volcanion distribution.

A similar thing happened when they distributed it a few years ago.

Dear The Pokemon Company please just distribute things online.

I've gone to all three GameStops in my city and found no sign of the Volcanion distribution.

A similar thing happened when they distributed it a few years ago.

Dear The Pokemon Company please just distribute things online.
Speaking of distributions, remember in Gen VII when QR Codes are released and thanks to these, there's no FOMO when acquiring Magearna?
There were like two Pokémon released this way.

Why!?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Speaking of distributions, remember in Gen VII when QR Codes are released and thanks to these, there's no FOMO when acquiring Magearna?
There were like two Pokémon released this way.

Why!?
It's funny, I work in digital publishing and my old boss absolutely despised QR codes. She viewed them as old-fashioned, unnecessary, pointless, and a silly modern fad.

And yet for me personally QR codes are one of the things that makes Gen VI and VII fun to replay. I've spent ages in ORAS chopping and changing Secret Bases, and Island Scan is a really neat feature - I got a lot of amusement out of the fact that you could scan literally any QR code and receive a random Pokemon not in the Alola Dex like Loudred or Furret. Having Magearna and that event Pikachu be available permanently was so refreshing after having to go out of my way to travel to toy stores and awkwardly ask the person on the counter for a free ticket without buying anything.

Which makes it so annoying that they keep going back to this method (although I'm not chasing these particular events). I'm sure anyone who grew up pre-Gen IV knew the sheer pain of missing out on countless events because they lived nowhere near them. Even when events went Internet-based in Gen IV I still couldn't get most of them since our home router wasn't the right sort for my original DS model. It was only when I bought a 3DS that I was able to finally get online in Gen V, a few scant weeks before the GTS closed down. Thankfully the PokeClassic Network exists so that I can recapture some of that youthful excitement...

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
So uhhhh, why doesn't Smeargle have Color Change or some clone of Protean again? :smogthink:
To give a flavour reason, because Smeargle isn't actually good at those attacks it's reproducing.

I'm not talking mechanically here (though it's nice when lore and game mechanics mesh); Smeargle isn't ever noted by the Pokedex as being a master of perfect mimicry. It can reproduce moves, but it can't competently pull them off with the ability another Pokemon can.

I was actually reading the other day about why Adolf Hitler was considered a poor artist (oh no, my first Godwin on Smogon - but stick with me). He could draw a building perfectly competently, but his paintings were visually dull because they had no intrinsic style. They didn't look dramatic or imposing or particularly visually deep. It was more like looking at a blueprint or a diagram with extra colours. So with that in mind my impression is that Smeargle's artistic skills have a similar fault - it can pull off a technically perfect Flamethrower or Hydro Cannon, but it can't execute them with the force or technique that makes them authentic and powerful.

Smeargle is already full up on its own flavor it didn't need to rework Color Change (itself already a strained way of showing a chameleon adapting to the situation) into a pun about painters changing their paints
first ability: Own Tempo (My Pace); its an artist that works how it wants.
second ability: Technician; it's a skilled artist.
hidden ability: Moody (Sudden Impulse); an artist who is prone to mood swings about what it wants to create

and by that point protean couldn't go anywhere. From a "why didnt it get CC to begin with as a second/hidden ability" perspective, a lot of Gen 3 only had 1 ability and they probably specifically envisioned CC as a chameleon thing at the time, they probably liked the flavor of the second abilities more on Smeargle and from a ""balance"" perspective probably thought the kind of crummy statline leant itself well to Moody, a HA-exclusive ability that almost exclusively went to weird, crummy Pokemon.

Moody, a HA-exclusive ability that almost exclusively went to weird, crummy Pokemon.
I wonder what is so moody about, say, an icy rock face or an octopus cannon.
The Bidoof line in comparison makes sense as a Lethal Joke Character-type of Pokémon. Simple and Unaware are pretty strong Abilities, and Moody is... Moody.
A society of moody beavers would be pretty funny to see.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Can't believe I've never brought this up before but the littlest thing that annoys me the most is that Empoleon got Defiant as a hidden ability instead of Competitive
While I understand why it would get Defiant/Competitive due to the Japanese names of Abilities (Empoleon are a prideful species), from its Dex entries I could also see it getting Intimidate (leaders have the longest horns & will not hesitate to slash anyone who wounds its pride), Swift Swim (is as fast as a jet boat), or Mold Breaker (its wings can cleave an ice floe into pieces); all which I think are better Abilities than Defiant & Competitive (not calling them bad Abilities, just that the ones I suggested I feel are a bit better).

There's a noticeable delay for Special counterparts throughout the series.

(...)

And there's a lot of reasonably widespread moves and abilities which feel commonplace enough to have Special counterparts, but don't.
This probably has to do with GF thinking that the Special category is overpowered (remember in Gen VI when they lowered a lot of Special Moves' Power by 10 points?). Since they're already so powerful, obviously they don't need an Ability to make them more powerful, right?

As for Ability counterparts, honestly I think a lot of Abilities would just be better if instead of increasing a specific offense/defense stat that they just raise the user's highest offense/defense stat.

For example we don't need a Special version of Anger Point, Guts, Justified, Hustle, Moxie, & Sap Sipper. We also don't need a Physical version of Berserk, Lightning Rod, Plus, Minus, Solar Power, or Storm Drain. Just make those Abilities raise the highest offense stat.

Now granted there are some Abilities which, due to how they named it (which I've noticed lately is becoming a bigger problem as they get more specific with Signature Abilities), really only applies to a certain group of Pokemon. Like Hyper Cutter doesn't sound like it would be given to a Special Attacker ever. Still though, for the Abilities which just has enough wiggle room in their name for ambiguity, there's no reason not to make them more flexible. The "worse" thing you'll do is give a Mixed Attacker an option of which offense stat they would prefer to lean on.

The most likely reason as to why weight-based moves don't work when the user or the target is a Dynamax/Gigantamax is because they never defined how much bigger a Dynamax Pokémon is.

Yes, we have sizes for Gigantamax, but regular Dynamax does not have measurements.

tl;dr They never thought of it.
Well, honestly, a Pokemon that grows that big, no matter its original weight, should easily reach the max weight of 999.9 kg. Infact, it would be MUCH heavier, which is likely why they made the decisions they did:

1. They have no weight, because there's no way to properly portray that weight in the current mechanics.

2. To explain why they have no weight, they portray Dynamax as some kind of projection. There's no weight because what we're seeing isn't technically the actual Pokemon.

Now all that should mean in terms of the weight-based moved is sorta what CPU suggested. Because, to fair, it makes sense for some to either not work or do min damage: Grass Knot wouldn't do anything cause you'd need PRETTY big pieces of grass to make a foot knot big enough, Low Kick it's not that you're kicking the opponent but tripping them over (which Dynanamax does look too big for, though since it is still kicking the opponent maybe do min damage), and good thing Sky Drop was Movexited cause I'd feel sorry for any Pokemon that tried to attempt it. Heat Crash and Heavy Slam though should work "as normal", just doing min damage. However, I guess they would then still need to give the forms the max weight of 999.9 interally which I guess they didn't want to do so decided to just make them immune.

Bulbapedia:
Yeah, I've noticed at times when it comes to Pokemon origins Bulbapedia tries to either cut or generalize out out-of-franchise references and be a bit prudish with the more sexual references.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the work of our brothers and sisters at Bulbapedia
Oh, don't get me wrong, they do fantastic work, it's just sometimes it feels like some take things a bit too seriously. My favorite example being the discussion tabs for Green and Leaf where they argue whether they are the same character thus should combine or split them (at the moment they're split but they were originally combined until Let's Go).

Don't know whether I should be glad, disappointed, or angry that the GameStop near me isn't the only one having this issue. :smogduck:

It's funny, I work in digital publishing and my old boss absolutely despised QR codes. She viewed them as old-fashioned, unnecessary, pointless, and a silly modern fad.
Wait, how does that work?

Which makes it so annoying that they keep going back to this method (although I'm not chasing these particular events).
The only time Codes should be used if they're going to post it up on the website or it's going to be shown in the anime (maybe also do some clever things with them like put up a promotional trailer with parts of the code strewn throughout it for us to find). Otherwise there's no reason not to just make it an online distribution.

"They likely have deals with stores to do these events"

I can't imagine the deals being made until they plan on doing the event, so just don't make the deal with the stores.

I'll be forever bummed that Staryu was localized as Staryu, from Star + You (for some reason) instead of Starlett, from Star, -lett (suffix that means small/young) and Scarlet like its gem
What would Starmie then become? Starande (Star + Grande)? Starimson (Star + Crimson)? Starise (Star + Cerise + Rise)?

Moody's Japanese name is "Sudden Impulse". So taking that into account:
  • Remoraid family: Guess because, being artillery, they have a "trigger finger" tendency?
  • Smeargle: Artists sometimes get hit with a sudden impulse of inspiration.
  • Snorunt family: Being Pokemon adapted to the cold, they normally stay still as to conserve energy. But if a predator or prey is close, they can immediately spring into action.
  • Bidoof family: Being beavers they're always working so could be the idea of them "getting a second wind" to keep going?

The Bidoof line in comparison makes sense as a Lethal Joke Character-type of Pokémon. Simple and Unaware are pretty strong Abilities, and Moody is... Moody.
A society of moody beavers would be pretty funny to see.
The Japanese name of Moody is Sudden Impulse, so for Remoraid/Octillery I'd assume it's meant to be that they're trigger-happy or able to shoot quickly.
For example we don't need a Special version of Anger Point, Guts, Justified, Hustle, Moxie, & Sap Sipper. We also don't need a Physical version of Berserk, Lightning Rod, Plus, Minus, Solar Power, or Storm Drain.
We already sort of have a Special version of Guts: Flare Boost, though it only works with Burn, not Poison, Sleep, or Paralysis.

Also related to Flare Boost, why does Toxic Boost exist? It's just worse Guts, you could've just given Zangoose Guts Game Freak.

I was actually reading the other day about why Adolf Hitler was considered a poor artist (oh no, my first Godwin on Smogon - but stick with me). He could draw a building perfectly competently, but his paintings were visually dull because they had no intrinsic style. They didn't look dramatic or imposing or particularly visually deep. It was more like looking at a blueprint or a diagram with extra colours. So with that in mind my impression is that Smeargle's artistic skills have a similar fault - it can pull off a technically perfect Flamethrower or Hydro Cannon, but it can't execute them with the force or technique that makes them authentic and powerful.
I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone draw comparisons between a Pokemon and Hitler, but the fact that I'm not sure worries me a little.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
The Japanese name of Moody is Sudden Impulse, so for Remoraid/Octillery I'd assume it's meant to be that they're trigger-happy or able to shoot quickly.

We already sort of have a Special version of Guts: Flare Boost, though it only works with Burn, not Poison, Sleep, or Paralysis.

Also related to Flare Boost, why does Toxic Boost exist? It's just worse Guts, you could've just given Zangoose Guts Game Freak.
Because for Zangoose specifically it only really makes sense for them to be boosted by poison due to the rivalry with Seviper. Zangoose having immunity to or being boosted by burn makes no sense in-canon.

It's a neat bit of story-telling. What's upsetting is that Seviper doesn't have a parallel ability. There are mental gymnastics you can do to make Infiltrator fit into the rivalry, but they fall flat when you realise Zangoose's Toxic Boost is a new ability anyway. Ideally they'd do something like give it a resistance to claw moves, but claw moves isn't an existent category, so that'd be a lot of work.

Then again, Zangoose has always been the one whose abilities tell the story of the rivalry, since it previously had Immunity while Seviper had Shed Skin. Even something like Rough Skin would have gone some ways into balancing it, since Zangoose attacks with contact moves 99% of the time.

Because for Zangoose specifically it only really makes sense for them to be boosted by poison due to the rivalry with Seviper. Zangoose having immunity to or being boosted by burn makes no sense in-canon.

It's a neat bit of story-telling. What's upsetting is that Seviper doesn't have a parallel ability. There are mental gymnastics you can do to make Infiltrator fit into the rivalry, but they fall flat when you realise Zangoose's Toxic Boost is a new ability anyway. Ideally they'd do something like give it a resistance to claw moves, but claw moves isn't an existent category, so that'd be a lot of work.

Then again, Zangoose has always been the one whose abilities tell the story of the rivalry, since it previously had Immunity while Seviper had Shed Skin. Even something like Rough Skin would have gone some ways into balancing it, since Zangoose attacks with contact moves 99% of the time.
Yes, it's a neat idea conceptually, but in practice it's just worse Guts. They could have had it prevent the damage from Poison or at least given it a higher multiplier than Guts. Especially since as you said, Seviper didn't get anything unique for a Hidden Ability, them both getting regular non-signature abilities would have made just as much sense. Alternatively, Poison Heal already existed, they could have given Zangoose that if they wanted something specifically Poison related.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
As for Ability counterparts, honestly I think a lot of Abilities would just be better if instead of increasing a specific offense/defense stat that they just raise the user's highest offense/defense stat.

For example we don't need a Special version of Anger Point, Guts, Justified, Hustle, Moxie, & Sap Sipper. We also don't need a Physical version of Berserk, Lightning Rod, Plus, Minus, Solar Power, or Storm Drain. Just make those Abilities raise the highest offense stat.
Honestly I don't really think this is a good idea at all. Physical Attackers and Special Attackers are deliberately different in how they function - Physical Moves and Special Moves havedifferences in their BP, Accuracy, Secondary Effects and the like as a deliberate way to make Physical Mons have their own playstyle instead of just being "Both categories play more or less the same but one hits physically and the other hits specially". Its why there's way more means of countering Physical moves than Special - Intimidate, Burn, Rocky Helmet, the myriad of contact-based abilities, so on and so forth. These exist because GameFreak allowed Physical moves to be inherently stronger but have more counterplay. Stuff like U-Turn or Fake Out would be way more busted as Special moves, being physical is what allows them to exist with their current widespread distribution

So with that all said, i really don't think it'd be a good idea to make abilities affect the "highest offensive stat" simply because Physical and Special are fundimentally different in playstyle and its better if the devs are allowed to base their abilities around this deliberate difference in strength

I guess my main takeaway from this post, to keep in line with the thread, is that I don't really like when fangames or mods just try to do "What if we took this physical thing and added a Special counterpart". This applies to many common fan ideas like making Ice get a defense boost in Hail, making a special Intimidate clone or making a special Burn, they're things that only ever exist as pretty superficial looks on how Physical and Special attackers operate. Same reason why I'm a bit iffy on PLA frostbite but that game has no competitive scene anyways and already has many other changes to make physical/special more uniform. Would not like frostbite in a mainline game as is

Yes, it's a neat idea conceptually, but in practice it's just worse Guts. They could have had it prevent the damage from Poison or at least given it a higher multiplier than Guts. Especially since as you said, Seviper didn't get anything unique for a Hidden Ability, them both getting regular non-signature abilities would have made just as much sense. Alternatively, Poison Heal already existed, they could have given Zangoose that if they wanted something specifically Poison related.
I think if they wanted to make it more different from Guts, they should've added some sort of resistance to the Poison status. Maybe make it so Toxic Boost prevents Toxic's countdown from going up or make it so the damage it takes from Poison's status effect is halved or something

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
If they wanted something like that, I think the most interesting way to do it would be to make it so that a Pokémon with Toxic Boost can only ever be poisoned -- not badly poisoned. Toxic Orb inflicts poison instead of bad poison, as does the move Toxic itself (and Poison Fang).

Halving damage taken from all forms of poisoning would be less effective on Zangoose since it's such an offensive Pokémon. Its job is largely to get on the field and then kill or be killed, so the reduced damage from poison would often go unnoticed. The damage not increasing each turn, on the other hand, would be more noticeable (if not notable in terms of helping Zangoose fulfil its role) and would therefore be better at storytelling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)