(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Almost all the "newly discovered" Pokemon is just "bro are you for real" lol

Like oh word? You discovered Ho-Oh? The thing with an entire tower of worship dedicated to it?
Ah yeah yeah just discovered the Sentret, Ledyba & Spinarak lines, some of hte most populous pokemon in Johto.
oh where'd you find Hoothoot, did you just step outside for 3 minutes?
Actually, Sentret, Ledyba and Spinarak are not common at all in Johto. In Gold and Silver, you can catch Ledyba and Spinarak in only 3 routes and Sentret in only 1 route (in Johto, also 1 in Kantho) and they are all restricted to certain times of day. In addition, they are all used only used by 1 trainer.

Last edited:
Actually, Sentret, Ledyba and Spinarak are not common at all in Johto. In Gold and Silver, you can catch Ledyba and Spinarak in only 3 routes and Sentret in only 1 route (in Johto, also 1 in Kantho) and they are all restricted to certain times of day. In addition, they are all used only used by 1 trainer.
R_N should have mentioned Hoothoot instead, this is a common Pokémon found in like 30 Routes in Kanto and Johto.
By Johtonian Pokémon standards, this was a common sight.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
So... Remember the Pokémon GO TCG expansion?
I looked up the card listing, and I am bothered by the card order:
View attachment 454354
Why aren't the three Team leaders consistently next to each other?
Because trainer cards are alphabetically ordered. Idk if the one on the right is Japanese but the trainers there are ordered by type, and the team leaders are the only regular supporters there so they end up next to each other.

Almost all the "newly discovered" Pokemon is just "bro are you for real" lol

Like oh word? You discovered Ho-Oh? The thing with an entire tower of worship dedicated to it?
Ah yeah yeah just discovered the Sentret, Ledyba & Spinarak lines, some of hte most populous pokemon in Johto.
oh where'd you find Hoothoot, did you just step outside for 3 minutes?
At least these are "new mons from a different region".

What about Balance Patch Fairy-type tho? Especially with all the retcons. Did random mons suddenly wake up immune to Dragon-types or what? Actually talking about new types straight up makes no sense in universe.

So I'm listening to the Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon LeafGreen Super Music Collection, just passed the Deoxys Battle Theme, when suddenly:

T H I S R E M I X :

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.26.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.27.20 PM.png

It's just so weird! (Edit): Even if it is based on the Teachy TV song!

I mean, I guess Poke Dude tells us not to rage quit and condones being into Pokemon as an adult, which I can totally get behind, but...

why does this exist? why does it apparently have Japanese children starting off the track? why is this before the actually incredible Memory P (feat. Yumi Funasaka) / Violet City remix that actually sounds great?

it's like "bro wut?" it's so random! At least the goofy Trick Master song in the Ruby and Sapphire Super Music collection, silly as it is, is a fun joke song.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.32.58 PM.png

Last edited:
So I'm listening to the Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon LeafGreen Super Music Collection, just passed the Deoxys Battle Theme, when suddenly:

T H I S R E M I X :

View attachment 454500

View attachment 454502

It's just so weird! Especially for an album-exclusive song!

I mean, I guess Poke Dude tells us not to rage quit and condones being into Pokemon as an adult, which I can totally get behind, but...

why does this exist? why does it apparently have Japanese children starting off the track? why is this before the actually incredible Memory P (feat. Yumi Funasaka) / Violet City remix that actually sounds great?

it's like "bro wut?" it's so random! At least the goofy Trick Master song in the Ruby and Sapphire Super Music collection, silly as it is, is a fun joke song.

View attachment 454503
It's not entirely album exclusive, the base track is the music that plays while using the Teachy TV in FRLG.

Turtonator is a case of a Pokemon who was intended to have a signature move as opposed to a signature ability. Not every Gen 7 mon has a signature ability, but the ones that don't have a signature move to go with it. Some Gen 7 Pokemon have both, but many either only have a signature move or only a signature ability.

With respect to Drampa, the two are opposites in treatment in this regard, where one only has a signature move and the other only has a signature ability. Turtonator has a signature move, Shell Trap, which is basically its gimmick to be a powerful reactive move. It does not, however, have a signature ability. Drampa, on the other hand, has a signature ability in Berserk, however, it has no signature move to go with it.
[snip]
In the case of Turtonator and Drampa, they went for the two to be antithetical to each other with one having only a signature move while the other only has a signature ability.
I floated the signature ability that didn't happen idea purely as a straw grasp to why it has one ability.

I know I've talked about the Gym Leader design shortcomings, but wow. W O W.

Emerald's leaders got NOTHING to work with. Their rematches are straight up Janine-tier. I'm not even exaggerating here.

1663889479958.png

I'd like to know what could possibly make GF think that the Champion should waste their time with these peons. Most trainers that can beat Winona can handle this.

And again, to make things even worse. Not a shred of strategy. Just a haphazardly made team with Explosion sprinkled on it at best. Nothing unique. I'm sure I'll have forgotten about it by tomorrow morning.

Speaking of which...

Man, the Hoenn leaders have some sucktastic TMs, huh? Aerial Ace? Water Pulse? Really?

You're not wrong that they didn't have as much to work with but cherry picking Roxanne's first rematch team is a little weird. Like Emerald by design (for some reason) decided to present the rematch teams as "works in progress" so they slowly build their levels up and expand their teams culminating in their 4th rematch

There's still things to critique here, mostly how her levels are still too low for a post game thing you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get to and boy does Nosepass age poorly as an "ace", but it's certainly a far cry from her first.

I know I've talked about the Gym Leader design shortcomings, but wow. W O W.

Emerald's leaders got NOTHING to work with. Their rematches are straight up Janine-tier. I'm not even exaggerating here.

View attachment 454603

I'd like to know what could possibly make GF think that the Champion should waste their time with these peons. Most trainers that can beat Winona can handle this.

And again, to make things even worse. Not a shred of strategy. Just a haphazardly made team with Explosion sprinkled on it at best. Nothing unique. I'm sure I'll have forgotten about it by tomorrow morning.

Speaking of which...

Man, the Hoenn leaders have some sucktastic TMs, huh? Aerial Ace? Water Pulse? Really?
I actually kind of like how they made the Emerald rematch buffs incremental, but obviously it would've worked better if you could get the ball rolling on rematches before becoming Champion (and if you weren't relying on Match Call RNG to trigger them). Overall though, Emerald's final Gym Leader rematch teams are among the best we've ever gotten imo.

Regarding TMs... yeah gift TMs have always been incredibly hit or miss. Water Pulse is the most obviously bad one since you've already had access to Surf for such a long time at that point and it means that Juan's ace will prefer to use Ice Beam over its signature STAB move against neutral targets (this is also true for HGSS Misty's Starmie). In some ways, though, it's better for stronger TMs to be repeatedly obtainable in the games where they're single-use (think FRLG Blaine handing out Fire Blast as a complete one-off when you can just buy it for P5500 in RSE/DPPt/HGSS).

EDIT: weird bit of trivia I never knew about the Emerald rematch system, from Bulbapedia:
After entering Hall of Fame, every 60th wild encounter, every 20th Trainer battle, and every 20th Battle Frontier battle, the game has 31% chance to make a Gym Leader rematch available.

Last edited:
You're not wrong that they didn't have as much to work with but cherry picking Roxanne's first rematch team is a little weird. Like Emerald by design (for some reason) decided to present the rematch teams as "works in progress" so they slowly build their levels up and expand their teams culminating in their 4th rematch

There's still things to critique here, mostly how her levels are still too low for a post game thing you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get to and boy does Nosepass age poorly as an "ace", but it's certainly a far cry from her first.
The reason I picked her first team is that by the time you take down an Lv. 58 Milotic, you shouldn't be getting calls from Leaders in the mid 30s.

It's even more glaring with her final team. What exactly did she finish? Slapping a bunch of Kanto fossils (And an Onix -> Steelix) on her team? A leaf of unseasoned lettuce has more flavor than this.

weird bit of trivia I never knew about the Emerald rematch system, from Bulbapedia:
I can kinda forgive it because it was their first time trying to do Leader rematches but LMAO. :totodiLUL:

Idk I always liked trying to see all the rematch teams (even for regular trainers), so I think I ended up seeing all of them? Spending so much time at the Frontier definitely helped too.

The reason I picked her first team is that by the time you take down an Lv. 58 Milotic, you shouldn't be getting calls from Leaders in the mid 30s.

It's even more glaring with her final team. What exactly did she finish? Slapping a bunch of Kanto fossils (And an Onix -> Steelix) on her team? A leaf of unseasoned lettuce has more flavor than this
I don't really mind that the Leaders are still very weak compared to you when they first call. It's a misstep from a gameplay standpoint because you just sweep all the early teams without even seeing their strategy, but from a story/character standpoint I like the idea that they're gradually trying to catch up to you.

I think the gimmick of Roxanne's team is meant to be based around the fact that all Emerald leader rematches are Double Battles, so she can spam Explosion either alongside Protect or just trusting in her team's Defense stats and Normal resistances. Idk obviously it's not a good strategy but I like it!

Unfortunately Steven got dibs on all the other fun Hoenn Rock-types, just like how DP Cynthia got to have two of the best Sinnoh Ground mons while Bertha was stuck with a Sudowoodo as filler.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

It's even more glaring with her final team. What exactly did she finish? Slapping a bunch of Kanto fossils (And an Onix -> Steelix) on her team? A leaf of unseasoned lettuce has more flavor than this.
For some reason FRLG and Emerald chose to make all the postgame species low-levelled (all the Johto Pokemon in the Sevii Islands are invariably level 10-20, and all of the Emerald Safari Zone species are in their 30s*) so I suspect the thinking on Game Freak's part is that you, too, will be in the process of training up new additions to your team. Which for me was generally the case when I played Emerald the first couple of times, I'd always be eager to get over to the Safari Zone and catch new stuff.

I've always really liked how you get to see the Gym Leaders raising up new Pokemon, though. It's a fun reminder that they're trainers too.

*Postgame Hoenn in Emerald actually doesn't have anywhere with wild mons over level 50 come to think of it since the Sky Pillar got nerfed.

So despite the wifi distributions of Zarude, etc, not working very well over the course of the pandemic, I am very much not loving the return to in person code distributions. Gamestop has apparently just plain run out of Eternatus code cards in the US. I checked one myself on Wednesday and had a friend on the other side of the country check one today. Friend said the clerk told them that each store only got 500 and all the stores in the area basically ran out on Tuesday.

Like, I understand why they won't just do all the codes as online distributions, but they made an app expressly for giveaways that they just abandoned, it would be nice if they used it so that we don't have to get to the store day 1 to beat the scalpers.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
All the recent rematch talk has caused me to notice something dumb.

In several of his fights, Lance will differentiate his repeated dragon species by having them use different elemental attacks. In Yellow, one of his Dragonair knows Thunderbolt, Slam, Thunder Wave, and Hyper Beam, while the other knows Wrap, Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, and Hyper Beam. The same is true in GSC, where one Dragonite knows Thunder, one knows Blizzard, and the last knows Fire Blast. Clair does this too in those games - one of her Dragonair knows Surf, one knows Ice Beam, and one knows Thunderbolt (though Flamethrower is conspicuously absent, strangely since Kingdra also uses Surf).

In FRLG, however...

1664014773643.png

...Lance's Dragonair are identical except for one knowing Thunder Wave, and the other knowing... Dragon Rage? Not Ice Beam? Flamethrower? Wrap? Literally anything more useful?

At least his rematch team is suitably brutal, with every single team member except Kingdra and Gyarados knowing nothing but offensive moves. That fight is seared into my mind as an obnoxiously difficult one from my days playing LeafGreen.

All the recent rematch talk has caused me to notice something dumb.

In several of his fights, Lance will differentiate his repeated dragon species by having them use different elemental attacks. In Yellow, one of his Dragonair knows Thunderbolt, Slam, Thunder Wave, and Hyper Beam, while the other knows Wrap, Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, and Hyper Beam. The same is true in GSC, where one Dragonite knows Thunder, one knows Blizzard, and the last knows Fire Blast. Clair does this too in those games - one of her Dragonair knows Surf, one knows Ice Beam, and one knows Thunderbolt (though Flamethrower is conspicuously absent, strangely since Kingdra also uses Surf).

In FRLG, however...

View attachment 454828

...Lance's Dragonair are identical except for one knowing Thunder Wave, and the other knowing... Dragon Rage? Not Ice Beam? Flamethrower? Wrap? Literally anything more useful?

At least his rematch team is suitably brutal, with every single team member except Kingdra and Gyarados knowing nothing but offensive moves. That fight is seared into my mind as an obnoxiously difficult one from my days playing LeafGreen.
Maybe because Dragon has actual STAB after Gen 1; and then Hyper Beam’s there because it’s Lance. IDK why they both have Safeguard tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)