(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

They'll "Address" it in the form of him simply not existing.
Him not existing is one way to solve the problem, which I'm fine with. Alternatively, he can exist but I want to actually fight him at the end of Stark Mountain.

I kind of prefer the latter since Charon is closely linked to Rotom and if the Rotom forms are available to use in BDSP (which I hope they are) I have a feeling he'll be linked somehow.

I kind of prefer the latter since Charon is closely linked to Rotom and if the Rotom forms are available to use in BDSP (which I hope they are) I have a feeling he'll be linked somehow.
Nothing says we can't have the Platinum Rotom forms without Charon existing, they could easily just have the Catalogue item from Sword and Shield available in the Old Chateau or have a random NPC give it to you after you catch Rotom or if you talk to them with a Rotom in your party.

I think that's exactly the point - that, without Giovanni, they are little more than a gang. A gang that pulls a heist on a radio tower with ONE guard, after all.
No it's due to the fact that GF had to scrap the false professor plot immediately cuz Elm had...little to nothing. Shame cuz Sugimori and the anime were hyping him
*this was confirmed in the SW97 leaks
Also how puny Johto is in general hurt TR seeming like a threat nationwide. The story gets incredibly messy and random mid game, and the mysticism of legendaries was completely ignorable OG GSC
It's pretty bad out of sloppiness, and HGSS didn't really fix it, other than naming the new heads
Gen 2 TR just suck

It's pretty bad out of sloppiness, and HGSS didn't really fix it
HGSS in a nutshell. :psysly:

As for my contribution to the thread tonight...

Colosseum has way too many unevolved mons, so despite it sounding and looking rough, it really isn't.

The level curve is messy, but it all starts to look funny when you're consistently roflstomping mons 10 levels above you.

Ironically, Jumpluff was one of the best mons of my run. Fast Sleep Powder with a partner to cover offense is very good, the few matches I got to run it paired with Flygon instead of Quagsire were very nice. Shame Quag is so slow, but the typing helps a lot.

So yeah, Colo's general power level is very unsatisfying. Everyone is weak af. It really feels like a Johto game. Orre is a barren wasteland, so maybe that was inspired in GSC/HGSS Kanto?

I'm annoyed by the evil team grunts in general. In a pokemon game, which mons someone uses are the only characterization we really get for anyone other than a main char. And yet the grunts for basically all teams are common dark types, poison types, and a random selection of junk. I'm not asking for competitive teams, that defeats the purpose of a grunt, but use the mon selection to tell a story. Do grunts mostly use stuff from the cave they're in, or are they given something specific by central HQ? Is there a type theme or are they expected to have variety? Branch out and have variety with it, don't just slap a zubat and a rodent on their team and call it a day.
My hacks at least make villainous Grunts (outside Skull) more competent, stronger, and smarter... To to the point where they can be considered "higher tier" generic characters... so that's something, I guess?

My only gripe was the wholly forgettable Charon. Which is why in my head, I almost choose to ignore Galactic's involvement in Stark Mountain since it's so poorly executed. That's one of the few flaws of Platinum that I hope BDSP addresses.
The whole point to Charon is that he's smart enough to see that Cyrus is lying while not falling for his charisma, and being uncharismatic himself

you are of course free to not like him but him being unlikable is very much intended

The whole point to Charon is that he's smart enough to see that Cyrus is lying while not falling for his charisma, and being uncharismatic himself

you are of course free to not like him but him being unlikable is very much intended
I don't dislike Charon for his lack of charisma. I think that actually works quite well from a plot perspective with Mars and Jupiter not taking him very seriously.

I dislike Charon because he's the only villain Admin who you never have one fight against. That's not a good look. Him getting arrested by Looker at the end of Stark Mountain was pretty anticlimactic for me.

Call it stupid but there are so many mentions of Pokemon Gun and memes, but no fan designs for what a Pokemon Gun cover Pokemon would look like.
I mean there are really only two options, that being a wolf holding a gun in its mouth (the Zacian approach, and the one most people imagine because it's easily the more ridiculous-looking option) and a wolf with a gun mounted on its back (the Zamazenta approach). You probably haven't seen any Gun Legendary designs because people didn't feel the need to design any because most people already had the same idea of what the Pokemon would look like.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I recall seeing some mock-up Pokémon Gun covers with Remoraid or Clawitzer a while ago. After all, those are Pokémon who are literally guns.

But I also don't think many people wanted a third version for Gen VIII. Not that many people even wanted DLC, lol.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Maybe I'm just oblivious to internet communities or society thinking on this but I honestly never understood why people thought a third version to Sword and Shield would be called "Gun". A gun is a modern artillery weapon, whereas swords and shields are rather ancient forms of weaponry that date way back when. A gun does not really fit into the medieval/feudal weaponry motif that "sword" and "shield" do.

If anything, I always thought a third version to Sword and Shield would've more likely been called "Bow" or even "Lance". A bow and arrow is an old form of weaponry that goes way back just like swords and shields do and especially after Zacian and Zamazenta were revealed I thought a third wolf would probably be better at harnessing a bow and arrow and that would fit way better to complement a sword and a shield rather than a gun. Maybe even a lance or an ax, or something amongst those lines. A gun does not strike me as fitting alongside a sword and shield. Plus, a bow and arrow fit the ranged weaponry idea way better in tandem with a sword and shield.

Of course, we never ended up getting a third version, and we got DLC instead, and instead of weaponry we got the name motifs for the DLC areas/expansion pass halves being "Armor" and "Crown". I think that's also just as fitting for medieval/feudal war gear even if Urshifu is kind of a stretch and doesn't really fit the "armor" motif, that being said, Calyrex most certainly does fit the crown motif as a king and its massive noggin being shaped like a crown in and of itself.

Ice Rider Calyrex's signature move is also "Glacial Lance", which I thought was pretty nice imo.

Still though, the Pokemon Gun memes never made sense to me and I struggle to comprehend why people thought of Gun being a complementary third motif to Sword and Shield to begin with.

If anything, I always thought a third version to Sword and Shield would've more likely been called "Bow" or even "Lance". A bow and arrow is an old form of weaponry that goes way back just like swords and shields do and especially after Zacian and Zamazenta were revealed I thought a third wolf would probably be better at harnessing a bow and arrow and that would fit way better to complement a sword and a shield rather than a gun. Maybe even a lance or an ax, or something amongst those lines. A gun does not strike me as fitting alongside a sword and shield. Plus, a bow and arrow fit the ranged weaponry idea way better in tandem with a sword and shield.
I always thought it would be something like "Spear" or "Staff" to keep the alliteration going, but "Bow" makes more sense. I don't know how you would make a dog use it, but melee+defense+ranged probably makes more sense than melee+defense+ranged melee? (idk how to describe spear)

I always thought it would be something like "Spear" or "Staff" to keep the alliteration going, but "Bow" makes more sense. I don't know how you would make a dog use it, but melee+defense+ranged probably makes more sense than melee+defense+ranged melee? (idk how to describe spear)
I was thinking Pokémon Spear made the most sense. But this is something of a moot point since third versions are all but obsolete. Platinum was the last one, 13 years ago.

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were absolutely "third versions" in just about every sense except for being two games instead of one.
A lot of people prefer the story of the original SM. USUM are probably still the definitive versions of Gen 7 overall, but not quite as definitive as Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum are to their respective generations. That's why I classify them separately from the other "third versions".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)