(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Just now, one of my options for the Battle Agency is a Specs Serperior with Leaf Storm, Nothing, Nothing and Nothing

And the ability is Overgrow.
There's a Specs Serperior today with Contrary and just Leaf Storm, so apparently this issue was patched.

Unlike Dark Void's accuracy.

EDIT: There's also a Sceptile with Unburden

AND NO F***ING ITEM

Am I the only one's who's been bothered by the fact that Reshiram and Zekrom have the same stat values has Dialga, Palkia and Giratina, just rearranged different. Not to mention that both trios are dragon types ( Cough... Cough... )

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Am I the only one's who's been bothered by the fact that Reshiram and Zekrom have the same stat values has Dialga, Palkia and Giratina, just rearranged different. Not to mention that both trios are dragon types ( Cough... Cough... )
Or how Xerneas and Yveltal have the same exact stat values.
Or how the pairs Groudon/Kyogre, Zekrom/Reshiram, and Solgaleo/Lunala are more or less physical/special swaps.

While Ho-Oh and Lugia also had the same stat values they at least did something a bit more unique by making Ho-Oh slower & offense focused while Lugia is fast & defense focused. Granted offense/defense is also a popular swap pair but Ho-Oh/Lugia are the only ones who do it. Infact defensive "mascot" Legendaries aren't really that present. The only other one is Giratina but it has an alternate form which makes it more offense focused. EDIT: Derp, forgot about Zygarde. Granted it has 10% form which is offense focus but main focus is on 50% and Complete both who are bulky.

So would be nice to not only see a Legendary pair that doesn't share the same exact stat values with their counterpart but also isn't a physical/special pair.

Am I the only person who is still irritated about Ghetsis's underleveled Hydreigon in 2018?
Don't forget Johto Lance having three underleveled Dragonites and Mars having an underleveled Purugly. The latter is more annoying as at least with Ghetsis and Lance they're end game so your Pokemon should be prepared to take them down, but you face Mars only after getting your first badge, your Starter may have just evolved to its middle stage.

Last edited:

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Granted offense/defense is also a popular swap pair but Ho-Oh/Lugia are the only ones who do it. Infact defensive "mascot" Legendaries aren't really that present. The only other one is Giratina but it has an alternate form which makes it more offense focused.
Not exactly part of a duo, but Zygarde is particularly Defensive. Like sure, it has the 10% form, which is fast and frail, but the main focus have been put on the 100% and 50% form, where the former is insanely bulky and has quite low offensive prowess (for a mascot legend) before setup. I'm guessing a reason most legends have high offensive stats is because it's easier to make Pokemon seem impressive by making it so they can KO a bunch of stuff in one or two hits rather than making them hard to KO, without just giving it Shore Up, heal bell and 200 in the defensive stats.

Not exactly part of a duo, but Zygarde is particularly Defensive. Like sure, it has the 10% form, which is fast and frail, but the main focus have been put on the 100% and 50% form, where the former is insanely bulky and has quite low offensive prowess (for a mascot legend) before setup. I'm guessing a reason most legends have high offensive stats is because it's easier to make Pokemon seem impressive by making it so they can KO a bunch of stuff in one or two hits rather than making them hard to KO, without just giving it Shore Up, heal bell and 200 in the defensive stats.
Well, technically from an in-game standpoint they're still hard to KO because they one-two shot most Pokemon sent out against them... unless they're massively overleveled or EV trained but who intentionally does that in a normal play-through?

I'd wager the only reason Zygarde Complete is defensive at all is because of how Power Construct works. Since it activates when Zygarde's health dips below half, most of the BST boost has to go into HP to compensate. Otherwise it'd just be Zen Mode 2.0. there could be many other reasons. I'm not Pikachu315111 who can ramble on for ages on these sorts of things.

Or how the pairs Groudon/Kyogre, Zekrom/Reshiram, and Solgaleo/Lunala are more or less physical/special swaps.

While Ho-Oh and Lugia also had the same stat values they at least did something a bit more unique by making Ho-Oh slower & offense focused while Lugia is fast & defense focused. Granted offense/defense is also a popular swap pair but Ho-Oh/Lugia are the only ones who do it. Infact defensive "mascot" Legendaries aren't really that present. The only other one is Giratina but it has an alternate form which makes it more offense focused. EDIT: Derp, forgot about Zygarde. Granted it has 10% form which is offense focus but main focus is on 50% and Complete both who are bulky.

So would be nice to not only see a Legendary pair that doesn't share the same exact stat values with their counterpart but also isn't a physical/special pair.

Don't forget Johto Lance having three underleveled Dragonites and Mars having an underleveled Purugly. The latter is more annoying as at least with Ghetsis and Lance they're end game so your Pokemon should be prepared to take them down, but you face Mars only after getting your first badge, your Starter may have just evolved to its middle stage.
Ho-oh has the misfortune of being a Physically-oriented Fire-Type from before the physical-special split. It needed substantial Sp. Atk. to use Sacred Fire. If it was introduced nowadays, I'd bet you the Sp Atk and Speed stats would be flipped.

It's a frustrating microcosm of a problem Pokémon has had for years: a rabid adherence to self-imposed rules and guidelines, and an inability to think outside of an extremely small box and deliver something a lot more unique. These Legendaries all have very interesting things going for them, and personally speaking the Tao Trio in particular are a pretty fantastic part of BW. But when you get to actually use them in battle, that hype and build-up kinda collapses when they're just very samey. It's a big part of what makes it hard to be excited for Legendaries these days imo.

Interesting. I never even noticed this. It doesn't bother me that much personally, but it seems like you are far from alone about being bothered by it to a larger degree.

Though, one similar thing that does bother me is the fact that Lugia/Ho-Oh and the Johto starters are just statistical rehashes of Mewtwo and the Kanto starters. It is especially bad for the Cyndaquil line which has the exact same base stats as the Charmander line. Thankfully they decided to be more open-minded when making the base stats for the starters from Gen 3-7. And for the Gen 3-7 legendaries too, at least to an extent.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Interesting. I never even noticed this. It doesn't bother me that much personally, but it seems like you are far from alone about being bothered by it to a larger degree.

Though, one similar thing that does bother me is the fact that Lugia/Ho-Oh and the Johto starters are just statistical rehashes of Mewtwo and the Kanto starters. It is especially bad for the Cyndaquil line which has the exact same base stats as the Charmander line. Thankfully they decided to be more open-minded when making the base stats for the starters from Gen 3-7. And for the Gen 3-7 legendaries too, at least to an extent.
What?! Darn it Ho-Oh and Lugia! I gave you credit to being slightly different only to find out you just copied Mewtwo's values! And, yeah, forgot how the Johto Starters' stats took a lot from the Kanto. That said, with the Starters I wished they did at least conform their BST and evolution levels.

Fun fact, it wasn't until Gen VII where the basic, middle, and final stages all shared the same BST. In all other previous gens there was at least one which either had more or less BST for some odd reason. Also, while they sorta have come to some conformity with evolution levels they can't decide whether its 16 or 17 for Basic to Middle and 36 or 34 for Middle to Final.

Does this matter in the long run? No, the BSTs were never that far apart from one another to make one better over the other (and how they were distributed also played a major factor), same with evolution level as you'll probably have the right evolution stage at the point the designers planned you to have them (and the differences between generations could be how the difficulty curve works out). But then again, if the differences are so slight why have them to begin with? Wouldn't it be easier to have them follow the same BST and evolution level mold with only the stat values being different? At some points it felt like they had to go out of their way to do them, why?

What I meant is that I find it lazy that they share the same values and typing as Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. They could have been more original than that.

The Dark Void nerf is still upsetting. Making it only usable by Darkrai is one thing; now Smeargle would have to rely on Spore which has a slew of counters besides Insomnia and Vital Spirit. Limiting it to a single target would have also done the job, and it wouldn't have affected its viability at all in anything besides Doubles, and even then it would still be good. Even doing both would have been fine.
I agree, this kind of needs to stop. It just makes every Legendary feel one dimensional and takes away their appeal. And it makes Legendary Pokemon predictable, especially since the only real variations are... Physical/Special and Offensive/Defensive. And, of course, the third Legendary has to be something in between the two other Cover Legends. It seems like Gen 6's Legends are the only outliers. And I suppose base Necrozma. Also, typing plays a big part in this too. I understand that Dragons being usually Legendary Pokemon was part of them being so rare, but nowadays it makes them samey since Dragons are kind of all over the place nowadays.
This has always been a thing and it's always annoying. However, in Gen 5, it's unfortunately a sensible thing to do since so many Gen 5 Pokemon has absurd levels to evolve at. I get that Gen 5 is probably the strongest Generation just based on stats alone (not counting Megas), but these high evolution levels are negatively affecting the quality of the Pokemon themselves. Even though it's never going to change because of how Game Freak runs, it's still something that needs to be fixed.

...Anyways, for a bit of my own annoyances: the Poke to Step conversion with Super and Max Repels is absolutely stupid. Let's do some math to exemplify my point.
  • Base Repels cost 400 Poke for 100 steps. In other words, 30 Base Repels costs 12,000 Poke for 3,000 steps. Or, in other words, 4 Poke for step.
  • Super Repels costs 700 Poke for 200 steps. In other words, 30 Super Repels costs 21,000 Poke for 6,000 steps. Or, in other words, 3.5 Poke per step.
  • Max Repels cost 900 Poke for 250 steps. In other words, 30 Max Repels costs 27,000 Poke for 7,500 steps. Or, in other words, 3.6 Poke per step.
So, Max Repels actually have a 0.1 disadvantage over Super Repels, meaning they are less financially prudent than Super Repels, meaning they are literally worthless. If it was like... 400 steps for 1,000 Poke, then that would be reasonable.
  • Hypothetically, Max Repels cost 1,000 Poke for 400 steps. In other words, 30 Max Repels would cost 30,000 Poke for 12,000 steps. Or, in other words, 2.5 Poke per step.
Considering that there was some rebalancing with the Potions and the Vending Machine Beverages done, you'd think that there would be some rebalance with the amount of steps a Repel gives. Especially if the cost was increased.

So, Max Repels actually have a 0.1 disadvantage over Super Repels, meaning they are less financially prudent than Super Repels, meaning they are literally worthless.
They save you in-game time in exchange for in-game money. I'd consider that fair. (They can also be critical for speedruns, useful for minimizing distractions during Poke Radar chaining, and for performing the tweaking glitch in grass in Gen IV.)

They save you in-game time in exchange for in-game money. I'd consider that fair. (They can also be critical for speedruns, useful for minimizing distractions during Poke Radar chaining, and for performing the tweaking glitch in grass in Gen IV.)
Also keep in mind that you're usually financially comfortable, if not entirely filthy stinkin' rich, by the time you're able to purchase Super Repels. Even if they're not the most efficient choice, by that point in the game you're able and probably willing to trade money for time. Besides, time is money.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Price Per Step:
That said, with the game now asking you if you want to use another Repel after the one you're using runs out I would say they "convenience" argument becomes invalid as you no longer need to go into the menu, select the Repel, and use it. So its more cost effective to buy Super Repels over Max Repels. If for some reason they want to keep the price per step the same I say they should have an additional effect to them:

Repel: Prevent all wild encounters from Pokemon you have registered in your Pokedex. This will give a reason to maybe keep using Repels even after getting access to Super Repels, at least until you finish your Pokedex. If they even want to make it more useful have Repels consider different forms (including gender differences and Shiny) "different" until that form is registered.
Super Repel: Just prevent all wild encounters. Keep it as the most cost effective repel item but it doesn't have an additional effects.
Max Repel: Prevent wild encounters except from Pokemon that are the same species as ones in your party. If Max Repels are going to be the last made available and not be as cost effective as Super Repels they might as well be given an additional effect for post game that'll help with chaining.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Let's open page 201 with a small annoying thing: Alola.

Okay, the region itself isn't that annoying per se (I just want a few of the Pokémon in it to be exterminated), but it definitely is small. Have a look at MeleMele island, for instance:

This is the island as it appears in its official artwork, which again is pretty close to how it appears in the game. Notice what lies along the island's long end, from the left in the picture to the right: Shore, road, Pokémon Center, four buildings, gap, three buildings, gap, school, Pokémon Center, road, player's house, road, shore. The island is a few hundred meters wide, at the very most. Along the other axis, it's even smaller. It feels like you could walk from any point of the island to any other in a span of minutes, which is exactly what happens in-game.

In terms of playable area, Alola is probably bigger than many other previous regions, and you could probably do the same exercise for those regions and find them tiny too, but Alola is unique in that it's presented in a one-to-one scale. You can follow human-scale objects from one area to the next. Count every tree that stands between two cities. Clearly see where one area ends and the next one begins (even up at Mount Hokulani - walk down to the bus, and you can see that the road only does one more turn before you're back at the bottom). The minimap reinforces the notion. "Here's this entire area, and you can catch glimpses at the next area, which lies completely adjacent".

Other regions were a little more ambiguous with their scaling. Sure, Celadon City and Saffron City lie right next to each other as portrayed in the game, but the top-down view, chibi artstyle and distance between dots on the map seem to indicate the area is bigger than we see on the screen. And you have to pass through a gate to enter Saffron, who's to say that gate doesn't hide a long trek through the suburbs before you emerge downtown? It's not like you could see Saffron from Celadon or vice versa anyway. In Alola, the camera is quick to point out that once you pass through a gate, what you see on the other side lies just on the other side. There are similar interruption in time, but the loading screens don't sell an illusion at all. It's like you could lay a row of bricks from one end of each island to the other over the course of an afternoon.

This makes the player perceive the playable area as pretty minuscule. There's no alluding to areas outside of what you see, like for instance in Kalos, where you had a view of long stretches of desert or forests stretching to the horizon. Each location felt connected to the next, but it was implied there was plenty of unreachable space in between. Alola has nothing of that sort ...with one exception. The distance between the islands. Since you can't see one island from the others, it feels like they lie pretty far apart, in a vast ocean. Too bad you can't explore it.

So yeah, Alola just feels so tiny. What you see is all there is. It certainly makes your adventure feel that much less grand in scale.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This makes the player perceive the playable area as pretty minuscule. There's no alluding to areas outside of what you see, like for instance in Kalos, where you had a view of long stretches of desert or forests stretching to the horizon. Each location felt connected to the next, but it was implied there was plenty of unreachable space in between. Alola has nothing of that sort ...with one exception. The distance between the islands. Since you can't see one island from the others, it feels like they lie pretty far apart, in a vast ocean. Too bad you can't explore it.
I see it more as a problem that Kalos has implied stuff that's just there in the background. Like sure, it's pretty and all, but why can't I go there? Why is the game teasing me with big areas in the wilderness that seems more interesting than the route I take? That feeling is enhanced pretty drastically by the fact that the boundaries of the game don't really make sense. Often it's just a slightly darker shade on the grass with trees that are pretty far apart that prevent you from going somewhere.
And sure, you're not able to explore the ocean in vanilla Sun/Moon, but at least they give you the option to travel across it in a mini-game in the enhanced* version. And I don't think surfing across a big empty body of water for 5 minutes with or without the usual encounter rate would be more fun than just taking a boat/mantine minigame across

*not actually enhanced, but it's supposed to be

Two things annoy me about the move Detect.

First, it has half the PP of the other Protect moves. Why? Sure, it's resistant to Imprison, but does that really justify 8 measly PP, especially when the likes of Spiky Shield and Baneful Bunker are equally, if not more, Imprison resistant?

However, my biggest issue comes with the move description. "Enables the user to evade all attacks." You would think, by this description, that using Detect would cause any incoming attack to miss. Nope. It gets blocked. Sure, an attack missing and an attack getting blocked are functionally almost identical, but still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)