(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Basically the Flying-type and Levitating Pokemon they don't allow have their animation standing on the ground and not actively flying/levitating. This basically restricts the first stage evolutions of Flying-types (and Doduo & Dodrio, but that makes sense. Also Hawlucha) which I guess isn't that big of a deal, but there are still a few odd restrictions: Farfetch'd, Gengar (even though Gastly and Haunter are allowed...), Delibird, Chatot, and Shaymin Sky Forme. Also, though they restrict some first stages, the allow others like Zubat, Ledyba, Hoppip, Wingull, and Swablu.
Another thing about the Sky Forme restrictions: a lot of them basically caused some of the sprites to be changed/made worse just to make them appear to be flying. Just look at Xatu – its design is clearly based on a totem pole (among other things, of course), and all the past-gen sprites and Sugimori art depict it in its totem-pole pose. But to make it eligible for Sky Battles, they had to change its pose to be flying, which makes it lose a lot of its 'mystical' effect. It was designed to be viewed body-on, not beak-on.

To tell the truth, I'm not entirely sure why Sky Battles were added – they're used only by a specific kind of trainer, and after you beat all of them, you can never have another Sky Battle. Ever. Even though Inverse Battles are only performed by one person, you can at least do them as much as you want.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another thing about the Sky Forme restrictions: a lot of them basically caused some of the sprites to be changed/made worse just to make them appear to be flying. Just look at Xatu – its design is clearly based on a totem pole (among other things, of course), and all the past-gen sprites and Sugimori art depict it in its totem-pole pose. But to make it eligible for Sky Battles, they had to change its pose to be flying, which makes it lose a lot of its 'mystical' effect. It was designed to be viewed body-on, not beak-on.
On that note, I find it strange that they managed to have several Pokémon poses in freakin' Stadium 1, but not in XY. If a Charizard uses Fly in Stadium, it gets into a different pose with wings flapping. I can't remember if any other Pokémon have a separate flying model in that game, but I'm pretty sure Skarmory has in Stadium II. How could they do this for a Gen. I game, but not in Gen. VI?

On that note, I find it strange that they managed to have several Pokémon poses in freakin' Stadium 1, but not in XY. If a Charizard uses Fly in Stadium, it gets into a different pose with wings flapping. I can't remember if any other Pokémon have a separate flying model in that game, but I'm pretty sure Skarmory has in Stadium II. How could they do this for a Gen. I game, but not in Gen. VI?
Considering there's over 721 models, a ton more moves, an actual overworld to design and animate, trainers, minigames... Stadium was really just battling and a couple minigames, there was no overworld and it only had to deal with 251 models (well, 266 with Unown) and a handful of moves compared to what we have now. It didn't need to bother with a story mode, an overworld or anything, and iirc each Pokémon in XY still has at least two attack animations.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wouldn't have minded if they had two different models for Pokemon who can participate in Sky Battles at least for some of them. In normal battles they can be standing on the ground (why constantly be flying when you can rest on the ground and then take off to do our attack?) and in Sky Battles they had a model when you seen them constantly flying and flapping their wings. It'll fix nitrox116's annoyance about Xatu's model since in normal battles it'll be standing on the ground wings folded looking like a Totem Pole while in Sky Battles it'll be flying because, well, it's flying so needs to be flapping its wings.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Considering there's over 721 models, a ton more moves, an actual overworld to design and animate, trainers, minigames... Stadium was really just battling and a couple minigames, there was no overworld and it only had to deal with 251 models (well, 266 with Unown) and a handful of moves compared to what we have now. It didn't need to bother with a story mode, an overworld or anything, and iirc each Pokémon in XY still has at least two attack animations.
Ah, that's true, the dev team for Stadium would have to spread their attention across way fewer elements, and the animators could spend more time on every Pokémon. Thus, making two Charizard animations wouldn't be that much of a "waste of resources".

From a technical standpoint, though, there are fewer excuses. A 3DS cartridge has almost a thousand times more storage space than an N64 cartridge (whose storage capacity varied from game to game, but usually between 4 and 64 MB. Super Mario 64 was 8 megabytes). Extra animations for the 100-odd eligible Pokémon wouldn't make much of a difference, considering that they'd utilize the same model and textures as they would otherwise. Besides, a LOT of Sky Battle eligible Pokémon would not need a separate standing/flying animation, further reducing the workload - I bet two thirds of them would use their ordinary model for both purposes, meaning that only Pokémob such as Charizard, Dragonite, Scyther and a handful of others would have to be re-animated.

Maybe there's hope for ORAS the inevitable "Z" game(s)?

I guess something a tad irksome, though really it's irked me since Gen 3 is that the menu sprites don't show the shiny palette for the Pokémon if it's shiny. If I have a shiny Geodude, the menu sprite is just the usual standard grey. This especially confuses me when they were able to make all the HGSS walking sprites have their shiny palette, and the fact that these are completely new menu sprites.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The badge names seem kinda dull this generation. "Psychic Badge?" "Fairy badge?" "Bug Badge?"
Yeah, not only that, did anyone else feel the badges were a bit, how should I say this, non-uniformed? Let me try to explain:

Gen I: Though the badges weren't uniformed as later generations, they still were sorta around the same size.
Gen II & III: Same as Gen I, but all the badges also had a sort of border around them which gave them some unification.
Gen IV: All the badges had thick silver lines separating the color parts from one another and also giving it a border.
Gen V: All the badges were thin and had thick gold lines separating the color parts from one another.
Gen VI: The designs are all over the place here! Some have a border while others don't (the borders even being silver, gold, or a copper-like color), some are very long while others a "normal" size, and some have animation to them (Glacier Badge has water in it). In addition some go a bit overboard with their design like the Voltage Badge.

Gen VI badges feel like they're each doing their own thing which I guess could be what they were going for but that also means they look oddly together. I'd rather have my badges be like Sinnoh's or Unova's as they look uniformed and should be together.

ANOTHER ANNOYANCE: The way their doing events nowadays.
Starting with the Mega Pinsir/Heracross Event (at least for me), instead of just having you go to where you need to get what the event is giving away they're now requiring you to get a code, go home, and then redeem what you want. WHY? Just have if be a WiFi download!

Last edited:
Yeah, not only that, did anyone else feel the badges were a bit, how should I say this, non-uniformed? Let me try to explain:

Gen I: Though the badges weren't uniformed as later generations, they still were sorta around the same size.
Gen II & III: Same as Gen I, but all the badges also had a sort of border around them which gave them some unification.
Gen IV: All the badges had thick silver lines separating the color parts from one another and also giving it a border.
Gen V: All the badges were thick gold lines separating the color parts from one another.
Gen VI: The designs are all over the place here! Some have a border while others don't (the borders even being silver, gold, or a copper-like color), some are very long while others a "normal" size, and some have animation to them (Glacier Badge has water in it). In addition some go a bit overboard with their design like the Voltage Badge.

Gen VI badges feel like they're each doing their own thing which I guess could be what they were going for but that also means they look oddly together. I'd rather have my badges be like Sinnoh's or Unova's as they look uniformed and should be together.
I personally hate the Kalos badges. I may have had my problems with Unova's, but they were much better than Kalos. They just feel gigantic and oddly shaped. They don't mesh with Kanto, Johto, or Sinnoh's very well (Hoenn had a few problems, but was okay).

Starting with the Mega Pinsir/Heracross Event (at least for me), instead of just having you go to where you need to get what the event is giving away they're now requiring you to get a code, go home, and then redeem what you want. WHY? What have if be a WiFi download!
I know, that's so weird. That just seems like it would be much more work for Nintendo to do than just let it be a straight download through Wi-Fi or Local Wireless.

Starting with the Mega Pinsir/Heracross Event (at least for me), instead of just having you go to where you need to get what the event is giving away they're now requiring you to get a code, go home, and then redeem what you want. WHY? Just have if be a WiFi download!
At least you Americans actually got those events...

Club UK: Nintendo thinks we don't exist.

And half the world got those Zards.
Which didn't even have Dragon Dance :/

Because UK doesn't deserve good egg moves
Pretty sure that NO events have ANY Egg Moves... AFAIK
Come on GameFreak, step it up!
"Sonic GIF goes here"

"Sonic GIF goes here"
Poor Rock Blast-less Herra... :(
He's in the same corner as that no priority Pinsir, crying his eyes out

Did anyone mention the Normal Gem in XY yet? D: I really hope you can get the other ones as well in ORAS.
Heh, you mean that Normal Gem Acrobatics Gliscor isn't scary enough for you? :)-

I've just given up on the gems to be honest and started putting Sitrus Berry on everything and its foster mother.

"Hi there, Hawlucha. Would you like a one time flying move boost and Unburden activation? Recover HP instead. OR ELSE"

Normal Gem Fake Out/Last Resort Ambipom is scary though... :)

"Sonic GIF goes here"
The Aegislash one had Wide Guard, (or was it Quick Guard? One of the two) but that's it. Shiny Gengar gets Sludge Wave though, which apparently it doesn't normally learn for what it's worth. (not much since Sludge Bomb hits for slightly less but has greater chance to poison)
It still would be nice to get the other 17 gems in OR/AS. They went through the effort to program in a gem for Fairy type, yet they tease with just a single stinking Normal Gem? May as well not have had it at all! Yeah, I'm a little bugged by this.

Shiny Gengar gets Sludge Wave though, which apparently it doesn't normally learn for what it's worth. (not much since Sludge Bomb hits for slightly less but has greater chance to poison)
This is something that kinda irks me; Gastly only got Sludge Wave through Dream World and this one event... yet can't learn it by the TM? And it's not even like Surf Pikachu where it's an incredibly left field move or Eruption Heatran where it's a story based event; these are just random events with nothing particularly special story-wise about them... so why do only they get Sludge Wave?

Club UK: Nintendo thinks we don't exist.
omfg don't even get me started on that; America gets eshop games but we get... wii wrist straps

Did anyone mention the Normal Gem in XY yet? D: I really hope you can get the other ones as well in ORAS.
Please. GF. Please. I need that sexy sexy sexy flying gem unburden acrobatics Hawlucha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 10)