(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why didn't the XYZ showrunners have Emma appear at all, let alone make her a major character? Are they stupid?
The anime tends to ignore the post-game stuff for the most part, and by the end of XYZ there likely wasn't enough time left to even do anything with her even if they wanted to.

It's very rare for any post-game locations or story to ever be acknowledged in the anime as a whole. Places like Cerulean Cave, Sevii Islands, and the Sinnoh Battle Zone were completely ignored by the anime, and although the Platinum Sinnoh Battle Frontier was mentioned, it was never visited much less any of the Battle Zone area. Since the likes of Emma and Zinnia are tied to post-game storylines they largely were skated over by the anime as well.

The anime has had the rule of staying close to the main campaign storyline for the first 7 generations and that basically meant the 8 Gyms, the villain plot, and the League. Post-game content from the games tends to be disregarded because by the time they're done with the anime's spin on the storyline, there's no time left to cover anything from the post-game which tends to be optional and free-form content.

On the other hand Emma as a character could be slotted in as filler regardless since the anime isnt fully beholden to following every plot beat

Just back up literally one generation earlier and you have them set to bring in Looker for Best Wishes's first run at the Plasma Plotline. Those episodes got put on hold and silently retconned out, but they were still going to have him around significantly earlier than he "should" have been

Go a step further back and we have episodes dedicated to Marley (& Shaymin!) and Buck, characters specific to the post-game. Palmer got to be around out of the Battle Tower too, even if the Battle Zone and the rest of the frontier got put aside.

So honestly could have had her around any of the several times they were in Lumiose for a given filler about her, doing different things than the game's plot line.

Just back up literally one generation earlier and you have them set to bring in Looker for Best Wishes's first run at the Plasma Plotline. Those episodes got put on hold and silently retconned out, but they were still going to have him around significantly earlier than he "should" have been
Looker was introduced in Platinum.

Yeah but he’s a post game character in BW and still appears earlier in the anime, which is their point. If they wanted to do an anime only story with Emma early in XY they could’ve.

I miss Looker. I actually miss cameos from older characters, wish there was a few in gen 8 and 9.
It's so weird to me there wasn't any actual cameo in The Indigo Disk despite directly mentioning characters by name. I guess they would class with the SV artsyle, but still.

I miss Looker. I actually miss cameos from older characters, wish there was a few in gen 8 and 9.
Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but cross-gen cameo characters feel like a casualty of Dexit to me. Their team would need to perfectly align with the roster already set in place for the regional dex, and adding yet another consideration when tailoring the Dex for both in-game and competitive play just adds more work. (Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how game development works on this front, though.)

That said, once the DLC expands the dex a lot and there's more options to work with - and you're traveling to places that are immediately adjacent to existing regions - I think it's silly that no cross-gen cameos at all. There's no one from Sinnoh or Kanto at all traveling to neighboring Kitakami, no one from the Unova League is interested in checking out their Academy full of promising trainers?

I don't think cameos even remotely relate to dexit, they are in completely different hemispheres of development considerations. They would never have to worry about teams because the cameo can just be without a battle, or a battle with just the relevant mons, or hell just go nuts and give them a completely different team.

I feel like as the series goes on they might just find it awkward to have cameos especially of characters that should probably be shifting design on a purposely-oblique timeline. Outside of "extra" stuff like the Battle Tree or PWT, anyway.

Also they might just be on different kicks of "let's let the region stand on its own a little" or "it's fun to expand the world by having related characters show up instead".

The existence of Pokemon masters also probably helps them feel like it's not as needed.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but cross-gen cameo characters feel like a casualty of Dexit to me. Their team would need to perfectly align with the roster already set in place for the regional dex, and adding yet another consideration when tailoring the Dex for both in-game and competitive play just adds more work. (Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how game development works on this front, though.)

That said, once the DLC expands the dex a lot and there's more options to work with - and you're traveling to places that are immediately adjacent to existing regions - I think it's silly that no cross-gen cameos at all. There's no one from Sinnoh or Kanto at all traveling to neighboring Kitakami, no one from the Unova League is interested in checking out their Academy full of promising trainers?
Eh. Characters are often given new team picks even in pre-Dexit era. Cynthia got a Braviary and Eelektross in Unova. Anabel used most of her Emerald mons but got a bunch of random new ones in Alola.

Eh. Characters are often given new team picks even in pre-Dexit era. Cynthia got a Braviary and Eelektross in Unova. Anabel used most of her Emerald mons but got a bunch of random new ones in Alola.
Then there's Ingo, the one big direct cameo in Gen 8 & 9, who got put into a game with literally none of his team options in it.

incidentaly, probably not a full coincidence that said cameo was in a game in the distant past where he was pulled from an ill-defined (beyond "post BW2" assuming it's not just an alt timeline) future

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's so weird to me there wasn't any actual cameo in The Indigo Disk despite directly mentioning characters by name. I guess they would class with the SV artsyle, but still.
At the time I was like "Not too surprising, they're saving the actual returning characters for the full new Unova game that they are absolutely teasing and which is definitely happening". Suffice to say that did not pan out and now I'm a bit curious why they held back lol

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
honestly it was really fucking funny. jingling unova in our faces like ohoho look at this elesa kid ohoho isnt blueberry academy cool- WRONG. to france with you
I'm going to spoil your fun and inform you that Lacey being Elesa's kid is probably misinfo. If you're going off that one collage image which had some dialogue of her saying something like "my mom is a supermodel" that's fake. I know, tragic, the concept of the cowboy getting with Unova's biggest supermodel was really funny

I'm going to spoil your fun and inform you that Lacey being Elesa's kid is probably misinfo. If you're going off that one collage image which had some dialogue of her saying something like "my mom is a supermodel" that's fake. I know, tragic, the concept of the cowboy getting with Unova's biggest supermodel was really funny
oh I just straight up forgot clay existed. in my mind she was just elesas kid LMAO. oh my god dude the dinner table w her and clay must be insane once she turns 14

Something small that annoys me: Pokemon clearly designed for a thematic move to be used with them (not necessarily Signature) that they just simply don't want to use if played typically.

First example that comes to mind is Excadrill having Drill Run, yet learning Earthquake by level up as well (even EARLIER than it until Gen 8) which is a strictly Superior move in the all-single Main game where the level up moves are made for.

I might have given this case leniency before High Horsepower became a TR in Gen 8 and ALSO outclassed that as a ST option for Doubles. This differs from something like Ursaluna who has different use cases in theory for HHP vs Headlong Rush (Power vs Debuff trade off) or Mamoswine who only "naturally" learns Earthquake and HHP is a TM in any game with both moves for flavor (LA gives it since I think EQ is not there).

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Something small that annoys me: Pokemon clearly designed for a thematic move to be used with them (not necessarily Signature) that they just simply don't want to use if played typically.

First example that comes to mind is Excadrill having Drill Run, yet learning Earthquake by level up as well (even EARLIER than it until Gen 8) which is a strictly Superior move in the all-single Main game where the level up moves are made for.

I might have given this case leniency before High Horsepower became a TR in Gen 8 and ALSO outclassed that as a ST option for Doubles. This differs from something like Ursaluna who has different use cases in theory for HHP vs Headlong Rush (Power vs Debuff trade off) or Mamoswine who only "naturally" learns Earthquake and HHP is a TM in any game with both moves for flavor (LA gives it since I think EQ is not there).
I feel this with Blaziken and Swampert in RSE. The former gets Blaze Kick upon evolving which is a really good move on its own merits, having a high critical-hit ratio but being significantly more powerful than most moves with a high critical-hit ratio like Slash or Poison Tail. The trouble is that Flamethrower is just generally a better option and that in RSE, of course, you get Overheat relatively early which is extremely powerful on Combusken if you've got one so Blaze Kick ends up feeling a bit redundant. It's a much better move on Pokemon for whom it's a coverage move they otherwise wouldn't get - Hitmonlee, Lucario, Mienshao et al. Emboar is in a similar boat, too - Heat Crash sounds nice in theory since Emboar is on the heavier side but in practice even Fire Punch is more consistent while Flare Blitz is by far the best Fire move Emboar can get, not least given that it gets Reckless.

For Swampert it's kind of tragic, because Muddy Water is exactly as powerful as Surf and has a potentially very useful secondary effect. The trouble is that, much like Overheat, you get Surf when your starter is likely to still be in its second stage and for an in-game run you obviously need Surf a lot so if you don't have another Pokemon to use it there's very little incentive to keep Muddy Water over Surf. Sceptile, alone, got a move unquestionably better than most other options - Giga Drain was significantly weaker in Gen III (and Leech Seed exists if you're desperate to drain HP), while Solarbeam has the drawback of a charging turn. Even Blastoise, which had Skull Bash as a (partial) signature move in the first two generations, had countless better options as far as Normal-type moves go.

In fairness it's why I think signature moves for later-gen starters have tended towards being status moves (Court Change, Spiky Shield, Mat Block), or those with a guaranteed additional effect (Mystical Fire, Spirit Shackle, Darkest Lariat, Torch Song, Aqua Step, Infernal Parade, Ceaseless Edge). Some even have more than one guaranteed additional effect, like Sparkling Aria, Snipe Shot, Flower Trick, and Triple Arrows - that just leaves Pyro Ball, which is mega powerful with very little drawback. They definitely seemed to realise how underwhelming starters' signature moves were and took steps to make them into moves worth using.

igiveuponaname

A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd.
is a Community Contributor
No clue if this was changed in BDSP but the Sinnoh fossils being version exclusives in Diamond and Pearl as well as Platinum randomly deciding which one you're able to get and locking you from the other is frustrating especially when basically every other game gives you an actual choice for what fossil you want to take.

No clue if this was changed in BDSP but the Sinnoh fossils being version exclusives in Diamond and Pearl as well as Platinum randomly deciding which one you're able to get and locking you from the other is frustrating especially when basically every other game gives you an actual choice for what fossil you want to take.
Seems to be :psysad:
Screenshot_20240321-124428_Chrome.jpg

I hate how version exclusives are hard set

That does remind me, it's a shame that SWSH's DLC and LA both played with the concepts of choices rather than version exclusives but then SV didn't do anything similar.

I'm not asking for the two versions format to change as it's never happening because of wanting to encourage trading, but I personally really enjoyed having actual choices for once-even if in LA it just changed the final boss and dialogue.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
View attachment 617675

80 accuracy is bleh, but like
Multi target 130bp is nuts
I truly have no idea what site that is, but Sandsear Storm (just like all the other Genie Storm moves) is 100BP / 80 Accuracy, but unmissable in rain.

The double-target aspect is pretty good, though, and gives it an edge over Earth Power in doubles if you want to roll the dice. It is strange to me that they made them 80% accurate though. You should just use Earth Power, Moonblast, or Thunderbolt in singles 100% of the time, and arguably you should use Dazzling Gleam (if Enamorus learns it which I’m actually not 100% confident she does) instead of Springtide Storm anyway, just for the accuracy.

Pokémon has a very annoying habit of making spread moves that don’t hit your ally inaccurate, and it is terrible for competitive doubles play. Muddy Water is a huge example of this with its unnecessary 85% accuracy, which IIRC was dropped when they made Surf also hit your ally. Origin Pulse stands out as another example.

If Thousand Arrows can exist as a good spread move, albeit being physical and very slightly weaker, I don’t know why Sandsear Storm is 80% accurate. As a dubs player, I hate the genie signatures with a passion lol

anyways, somethings that annoy me in pokemon is the move earthquake, like the bp difference between surf and eq specifically. they should nerf eq to be 95bp like surf cuz i thinl of both moves as clones of each other but no, earthquake just has to be superior

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 17)