(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

This probably belongs more in unpopular opinions? But the Regigigas talk is happening here, which makes it relevant.

I think Regigigas having Slow Start is fine. Good, even. That's not to say I don't understand why people are frustrated with it - admittedly I'd be annoyed too if my favorite Pokemon was crippled by a detrimental ability - but I really do feel like Slow Start is a pretty core aspect of Regigigas' identity at this point. I'm of the opinion that not every Pokemon needs to be viable in battles to be worthwhile, and I think it's interesting that this powerful titan is held back by its years of slumber. That accentuates the power that it used to hold in my mind more than if it was another straightforwardly good Pokemon.

That said, Regigigas was never really strong enough to warrant such a crippling ability, and the measures they used to take to prevent you from stalling out Slow Start as much as possible were silly. 670 BST is still shy of cover legendaries, and they get stacked abilities on top of all that. Taking away Protect until Gen 8 is comically absurd, and just invalidates any attempts to play around its ability. That is the real problem, if you ask me. So I'm kind of at an impasse: I think Slow Start is funny and does a lot for Regigigas in terms of flavor, but in terms of gameplay, it's complete overkill. I don't think Slow Start should ever be removed (unless Regigigas gets some kind of new form, someday - even though it keeps missing every single opportunity), but I do think that Regigigas' BST should be raised and that Slow Start should have more options to be played around - make it shorter, don't reset the counter whenever it switches, make sure no one from GF tries to take away Protect from its learnset when no one's looking, anything really.

What I do agree on is that ORAS or PLA should have added some kind of Primal Regigigas. Regigigas feels like another casualty of PLA's decision to set the game in the Meiji Restoration era and not the distant past (but that's a conversation for another day and another thread) - any promise of seeing Regigigas in its full glory wouldn't really make sense if it had woken up just 200 years before the modern day.

but I really do feel like Slow Start is a pretty core aspect of Regigigas' identity at this point
So does Game Freak, and that's why it's doomed to be bad forever.

There were more than several opportunities for Gigas to be unleashed, but GF won't do it because, to them, Regigigas is that one Legendary mon with Slow Start.

The obvious compromise would be giving it a hidden ability so it's finally awakened, or to nerf Slow Start to be 5 turns total, not 5 turns each time the goddamn mon is sent out.

But alas, they find that bit of flavor oh so important that they'd rather have it specifically coded in a game with no abilities just to mess with that mon.

AND REGIGIGAS AIN'T EVEN THAT GOOD! :psyangry:

Why is there a Slow/Mid/Fast speed option for text display in these games?

Does literally anyone on the planet choose anything other than Fast?
The options aren't Slow/Mid/Fast, they're Slow/Slow/Mid

There is no "Instant" option and there is no "Skip to end" button

I use medium text speed sometimes bc that's the default and emulator speed-up can make you forget to put it on fast

On the Regigigas discussion:
nobu.png

nocc.png

nocurse.png

norec.png

(+ Tri-Attack)

Why is there a Slow/Mid/Fast speed option for text display in these games?

Does literally anyone on the planet choose anything other than Fast?
From personal experience, I did find one use for having it on Slow: Resetting for Rare Dens when using Wishing Stars. While the game asks if you wanted to save, it wouldn't actually force a save until the following dialogue box finished going through. In that window you can see if the Den you activated would be Rare based on the purple beam and Home button out and close the game if it wasn't. Pretty sure you could perform that even on the faster speeds but having it on Slow gave more room to do that. But aside from that, its entirely there solely for the user's preferences and there are people out there who might find the faster speed settings overwhelming to them.

People read at different speeds and sometimes people like to read it as the text comes across, rather than once its all on screen at once.

There's probably plenty of people that actively choose the other speeds to suit their style of reading.
Yeah it's this. I do read as the text appears so I have never bothered to change it to fast because it has never bothered me.

Granted I also never realized N is supposed to talk fast so it may be just me.

This probably belongs more in unpopular opinions? But the Regigigas talk is happening here, which makes it relevant.

I think Regigigas having Slow Start is fine. Good, even. That's not to say I don't understand why people are frustrated with it - admittedly I'd be annoyed too if my favorite Pokemon was crippled by a detrimental ability - but I really do feel like Slow Start is a pretty core aspect of Regigigas' identity at this point. I'm of the opinion that not every Pokemon needs to be viable in battles to be worthwhile, and I think it's interesting that this powerful titan is held back by its years of slumber. That accentuates the power that it used to hold in my mind more than if it was another straightforwardly good Pokemon.
I would agree with this mentality if Slow Start couldn't wear off, like if they gave Regigigas something absurd like a 780 BST but Slow Start made it "normal" Legendary tier as a sort of "reverse" version of Huge Power mons or Terapagos (which has the useless Baby form that literally can never be used in battle but has stats coded for flavor). As it stands, Regigigas despite what the lore describes has to jump through hoops to just be "okay" by Trio master standards as a Legendary, rather than the intended effect of a once great Titan not quite in its heyday again.

Spread moves with animations that just hit multiple targets with separate single-target attacks.

10-pokemon-oras-damaging-both-opponents-with-sludge-wave-973183148.jpg
The Official Pokémon YouTube channel - VG Day 2 2024 Pokémon Charlotte Regional Championships ...png

EDIT: I tried to find an example of spread Sludge Wave in Gen 5 since I'm pretty sure it also did this, but finding examples of spread moves hitting multiple targets is weirdly difficult. Anyway, it's not just a 3D thing.

Last edited:
Three generations on from introducing an ability that boosts everything it does and more by 30%, Iron Fist is still a 20% boost.
Logically, it should be a 50% boost like the other more specialized damage boosters; the whole idea of Tough Claws is that it doesn't give as much of a boost but in exchange interacts with a lot more moves. Best guess I have is that a lot of Iron Fist mons have naturally high attack (outside of fringe case Ledian, Infernape is the "weakest" fully evolved Iron Fist user at 104 Attack), so maybe they think these Pokemon don't need the ability buffed?
~

You know how Mythical Pokemon aren't allowed in VGC? Because apparently Game Freak doesn't, given that throughout the years, we've seen multiple Mythical signatures that seemingly decided for VGC specifically.
  • Darkrai: Dark Void targets both Pokemon, and we've seen just how effective that is in VGC.
  • Victini: Victory Star grants a slight accuracy boost to the user AND its ally, a quirk obviously meant for Doubles.
  • Meloetta: Relic Song hits both targets in a Doubles battle.
  • Diancie: Diamond Storm hits both targets in a Doubles battle.
  • Hoopa: Hyperspace Hole's only benefit is breaking Protect, which is mainly useful in Doubles. The low PP of that move also wouldn't be a big issue in Doubles.
  • Magearna: Soul-Heart is already good in Singles, but in Doubles its effect would benefit even more.
  • Zarude: Jungle Healing effects the user AND ally. Again, why consider the ally if you can't actually bring the intended user of this move?
If they're going to make it a point that these Pokemon aren't allowed in the official Doubles format, why make all these signatures that are seemingly designed specifically for that format?

• Darkrai: Dark Void targets both Pokemon, and we've seen just how effective that is in VGC.
These feel like stretches for "designed for vgc". it seems more like they were made spread moves because itd make sense they would be spread moves. surf/sludge wave etc arent designed for vgc after all

Hoopa: Hyperspace Hole's only benefit is breaking Protect, which is mainly useful in Doubles. The low PP of that move also wouldn't be a big issue in Doubles.
I don't think it was designed to break protect because protect is good in doubles, but because thats kinda the flavor of the mon using dimensions to always hit you. this also ignores that it never misses and is just a baby version of hyperspace fury. Its a good move in the campaign and casual battles and fits the flavor!

Magearna: Soul-Heart is already good in Singles, but in Doubles its effect would benefit even more.
Victini: Victory Star grants a slight accuracy boost to the user AND its ally, a quirk obviously meant for Doubles.
These feel more like added quirks to in game double battles, than something they were doing for a possible mythical release. victory stars has flavor of victini granting victory to all its friends and the effect is very negligible, and soul heart was already a good ability that got a flavorful interaction that could have made it more powerful, but seems more about its lore.

Zarude: Jungle Healing effects the user AND ally. Again, why consider the ally if you can't actually bring the intended user of this move?
Raids LOL

Logically, it should be a 50% boost like the other more specialized damage boosters; the whole idea of Tough Claws is that it doesn't give as much of a boost but in exchange interacts with a lot more moves. Best guess I have is that a lot of Iron Fist mons have naturally high attack (outside of fringe case Ledian, Infernape is the "weakest" fully evolved Iron Fist user at 104 Attack), so maybe they think these Pokemon don't need the ability buffed?
~

You know how Mythical Pokemon aren't allowed in VGC? Because apparently Game Freak doesn't, given that throughout the years, we've seen multiple Mythical signatures that seemingly decided for VGC specifically.
  • Victini: Victory Star grants a slight accuracy boost to the user AND its ally, a quirk obviously meant for Doubles.
  • Hoopa: Hyperspace Hole's only benefit is breaking Protect, which is mainly useful in Doubles. The low PP of that move also wouldn't be a big issue in Doubles.
  • Magearna: Soul-Heart is already good in Singles, but in Doubles its effect would benefit even more.
  • Zarude: Jungle Healing effects the user AND ally. Again, why consider the ally if you can't actually bring the intended user of this move?
If they're going to make it a point that these Pokemon aren't allowed in the official Doubles format, why make all these signatures that are seemingly designed specifically for that format?
examples like dark void and soul heart make me think game freak intentionally made them pretty overpowered because they're not allowed in vgc. game freak can make some silly decisions but i can imagine they knew full well how ridiculous a spread sleep move on something as fast as darkrai would be, so they gave it to the mon who you can't bring to their tournaments. not all of those examples are as insane as that but i think the general idea holds true

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’m still pissed at Dark Void’s accuracy nerf.

Like, they literally gave it the nerf to 50% the same generation they made Smeargle be unable to use it!

It didn’t even need to be nerfed anymore?! Now its just a useless sig move for Darkrai - Hypnosis has better accuracy ingame for Single Player and even say in Indigo Disk because of its low accuracy using it just leaves you way too vulnerable. Very sad. Makes me angry.

~

When Iron Fist was first added, it was only given only to Hitmonchan so it can't be that they thought the pokemon were already strong enough. Either way, :melmetal: is here now and keeps it from ever getting buffed

Mythicals not being allowed in VGC could be its own thing entirely, it made perfect sense in the early gens when they required in-person events, but now when they're easy to get online, not as much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 25)