Little Cup CCAT (Poll now up!): Please see post 142!

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE POLL IS UP

- OUR CURRENT TEAM CAN BE FOUND ON POST 142

This thread is where we Little Cup players will attempt to make a team that is both competitive and innovative. This is also a great place for newer players who want to get into LC to learn about team building and general things about the metagame.

This has been done before but AFAIK this is the first Fifth generation attempt at a CCAT, so read up on that thread. The same process with a few alterations will apply so (with many thanks to Heysup):
Process:

Step 1 (Poll is going up around Oct 14th): We are going to start by picking which forgotten Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll (Pokemon that you think fit the description of a "forgotten" Pokemon). After a couple of days (probably around one-two days, until enough pokemon are in the poll (around 10)), I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Note: A "Forgotten Wonder" is something is less used then the average OU Pokemon / set, but is still powerful enough to be used in the standard metagame. So no Caterpies, Magikarp, Beldum, Etc. Thanks.

Note 2: You can suggest forgotten "sets", for example SubCroagunk is an option even though Priority Gunk is quite popular.

Step 2: We select what style of team we want to make. This will likely include something along the lines of Offense, Bulky Offense (closest form of stall..), Weather, Trick Room, and possibly more.

Step 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Step 4: We finalize the team and write up a 5-star RMT!
Please stay on topic. This thread is meant to create discussion but lets keep it civil gents and ladies!!

Additionally, as much as I like to theorymon, please ensure that you have tested what you propose and that it is actually viable.

With all that done, let's get under way! Start by posting any set which you think is underrated but could be very effective in the current metagame and that you would like to base a team around.

squeeee

Offensive Dratini

move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Life Orb
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Naughty / Naive
evs: 244 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

If you've ever played Gen 4, you'll know this thing is a fucking beast. It switches in on all those waters that don't use Ice Beam anymore (HP Fire for Ferroseed is the new black), DDs on their useless asses, and if they switch in Bronzor or Ferroseed, set up more while Fire Blasting their asses. If they switch in something faster, it'll be probably dead after two switch-worths of entry hazards and a +1 Extremespeed. And then, the murdering comes!

Okay. Dratini is cool. Have some more.

Shedrestini

move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Rest
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Eviolite
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Careful
evs: 188 HP / 4 Atk / 156 Def / 116 SpD / 40 Spe

This thing is also boss. Unfortunately, Dratini can't learn Sleep Talk with Marvel Scale, which means this is the best option for bulky DD sweepery. However, with proper support again, once this thing gets going, it can rend teams in half with +3, +4 Outrages. Would-be revengers eat Extremespeed, which outpaces all other priority outside of Fake Out. ShedRest on top of Eviolite, defensive investment, and Dratini's amazing resistances make for a very deadly bulky-offensive sweeper, and it can pull off some very amazing sweeps.

And, again, needs support to work and synergizes with stuff. The ability to actually take neutral hits is a real plus over the first set, although Magnemite or Diglett is even more necessary to kill those damn Steel-types.

Sweepursa

move 1: Protect / Swords Dance
move 2: Facade
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Crunch
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Quick Feet
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

Basically, everything under 21 is completely fucked. Switch in on predicted burn/poison/ghost/encored useless moves, SD, and get frags. The problem is that it's pretty much defenseless against anything faster than it, priority and scarfers. Those things are actually a lot rarer this generation, which is much less fast and more bulky-offensive. Anyway, sweeping with glass cannons is pretty god damn fun, and Teddiursa can really wreck shit up. Using frail end-game sweepers requires a lot of strategic stuff, and most LC teams don't bother using one. It would be cool to make a team that utilized the hard-hitting, fast sweepers to beat this generation's new Eviolite'd threats.

ScarfLithe

name: Choice
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Toxic
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Intimidate
evs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

Choiced Intimidate is pretty awesome. Growlithe's SR weakness combined with recoil really hurts, but STAB Flare Blitz (off 100% accuracy, fuck you Darumakka) hits like a truck. The other thing it has over Ponyta is Close Combat, which basically punches Munchlax, Rock-types, Houndour, and Scraggy in the face. Wild Charge beats Frillish and Slowpoke, Toxic is a parting "fuck you" to Chinchou, who otherwise kind of beats this thing.

Basing a team around something that isn't really a sweeper is a different experience, and it really lets you play around with other mons you haven't tried before. Growlithe can clean with Flare Blitz in the end-game very well too, and it can come in on physical crap with Intimidate and threaten just about everything.

ScarfChop

move 1: DynamicPunch
move 2: Payback
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Thunder Punch / Bullet Punch
item: Choice Scarf
ability: No Guard
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

You know what this thing is. Well, guess what guys, Misdreavus is gone, Gastly eats Payback, Drifloon eats an Elemental Punch, and Slowpoke doesn't go Own Tempo anymore. Dynamicpunch is such an amazing move, and once faster crap and Psychics/Ghosts (COUGHPURSUITERCOUGH) are gone, you can sit back and watch the opponent RAGE. Scarfchop was a major thread last generation, and although Scraggy has displaced it almost entirely, it's still really fun to use.

Maybe I'll come back later if I come up with something else.

YES I LOVE CCAT

Also, seconding Teddiursa. BEST POKEMON EVER ZOMG

I'd like to add the following pokemon, but I don't have specific sets at the moment

Koffing-- A great physical wall that's overlooked because people want to use Slowpoke and Ferroseed. It has competitive viability because it can partly stop Scraggy, and it has moves like Flamethrower and Thunderbolt to stop it from being set up bait for pokemon like Ferroseed or Frillish.

Riguree-- A great CM Sweeper that had trouble with Carvanha when it was around. It's kind of forgotten now, but it has potential. It has a great SAtk as well as good HP and Defense, and with Max HP, Max Def, and eviolite and a few CMs, nothing's going to stop it. The thing that really makes it hard to beat is the fact that it gets Recover.

Curselax-- Why is one of the biggest threats of last gen so forgotten? Maybe it's because of the massive fighting type surge, or maybe it's because there are better sweepers out there, but altogether, it's still a mega-powerful sweeper and a complete tank.

EDIT:

Adding to this:

Deino-- CB Deino hits like a truck. Hustle, STAB Outrage is just sooooooo powerful. It has moves like Fire Fang to get past pokemon like Ferroseed who would otherwise stop it. It's a shame not enough people use it, and I really want to see a CCAT built around it.

Kibago-- Kibago is a great pokemon with some movepool issues. It has great attack and good speed as well as some decent bulk, and it has boosting moves in Swords Dance and Dragon Dance. It can then spam Outrage and Double Chop to decimate the metagame. It just has no other moves, meaning it has difficult times against pokemon like HP Ice Magnemite or Ferroseed.

Smoochum-- Blizzspam isn't really used in LC, even though Hail and Sandstorm are the only two legal weathers. Smoochum is the perfect pokemon to abuse Blizzspam, but it has HUGE issues with new metagame threats such as Timburr, Scraggy, Frillish, and Croagunk. All it needs is a good team built around it to take advantage of its strengths and demolish the metagame with STAB, Specs Blizzards.

BellyCoon

move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Return/Natural Gift
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Oran Berry/Watmel Berry
nature: Adamant
ability: Pickup
EVs: 196 Atk / 28 Def / 28 SpD / 196 Spe
Once this thing sets up, you better have a Steel because you will most likely be swept otherwise. I have only seen one person use it ever sinse BW came out. It's a great poke although it requires the team being built around it.
EDIT: I put Watmel Berry in here after SDS suggested it. I also replaced LifeOrb with Oran Berry to make it live longer. I've used both and Oran is better.

I will also support Teddiursa.

Exeggcute!

Exeggcute (M) @ Oran Berry Trait: Harvest
EVs: 200 HP / 36 Def / 200 SAtk / 40 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Eggy can take down defensive teams easily, abusing harvest to keep pretty consistent recovery. He'd be interesting to build a team around since he isn't a late game sweeper or a wall, but he is great at paaving the way for a late game sweeper

Mienfoo (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Toxic/Knock Off/Payback
- U-turn
- Drain Punch

Coupled with something to take out ghosts (<3 stunky), Scarf Mienfoo is a great late-game sweeper. It's a really good scout/lead as well, and a good counter to DD scraggy (although, a risky one since you risk getting hit on the switch-in). This set's main counters are Gastly, Shelmet and Slowpoke, but with a good team those problems should be able to be solved.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Agility Chinchou

move 1: Agility
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Ice Beam
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Modest
evs: 76 HP / 52 Def / 232 SpA / 144 Spe

What did you think I was gonna post?

In all honesty, Agility Chinchou has all but been forgotten in the transition to Generation V. Life Orb Chinchou is rarely ever seen, with most users opting for Eviolite or Choice Scarf. However, Agility Chinchou was a major threat in the previous generation, and I believe it still can be. The moves are pretty standard. Hidden Power Grass is not in the set because opposing Chinchou are fairly easy to trap with Diglett. As with most setup sweepers, Wynaut and Diglett support would be nice. Add along something like Dwebble for entry hazards and a decently bulky Ghost-type, like Eviolite Gastly or Frillish, and this will absolutely wreck teams.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BellyCoon

move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Return
move 4: Seed Bomb
nature: Adamant
ability: Pickup
EVs: 196 Atk / 28 Def / 28 SpD / 196 Spe
Once this thing sets up, you better have a Steel because you will most likely be swept otherwise. I have only seen one person use it ever sinse BW came out. It's a great poke although it requires the team being built around it.

I will also support Teddiursa.
If you guys choose this, consider Watmel Berry + Natural Gift over Return. Without Gluttony, Salac is questionable, and Life Orb + Belly Drum is the fast track to death. Watmel gives an 80 BP Fire-type Natural Gift, which can be the difference between a sweep and disappointment.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
If you guys choose this, consider Watmel Berry + Natural Gift over Return. Without Gluttony, Salac is questionable, and Life Orb + Belly Drum is the fast track to death. Watmel gives an 80 BP Fire-type Natural Gift, which can be the difference between a sweep and disappointment.
Does Watmel Berry even exist in 5th gen?

LO Omanyte's gotta be the way to go. All the other set up sweepers either have a hard time setting up, or aren't strong enough to muscle through an Eviolite metagame (or both). Omanyte beasts in both departments.

Omanyte (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SAtk / 236 Spd
IVs: 19 HP / 30 Atk / 31 Def / 30 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
- Shell Smash - Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Beasts after a SS, only really able to be revenge killed by Timburr/smart fake out users/'sucker punch'/Drilbur. It hits 28 Speed after a Shell Smash, so it won't be outsped by much. +2 with LO hits like a truck, there are very few mons that won't be KOed. I guess we could use Hydro Pump over Surf (or even Ice Beam), doesn't particularly matter. If we use Swift Swim as the ability we can combine it with Rain to help remove a check (Drilbur) while powering up Omanyte even more. Omanyte gets easy set-ups on a lot of Pokemon, notably Scarf Taillow and Doduo, but also a variety of other scarfers (like Gastly's Sludge Bomb, especially in sandstorm). I think it's a good choice to use, as it's not a terrible pokemon and is easy to build around!

If I think of other mons to use I'll edit them in!

Does Watmel Berry even exist in 5th gen?
PO does allow the use of Watmel Berry.

SDS, I put LO on there because Salac Berry doesn't exist in BW. I suppose I should use Oran instead though so I'll edit that in. I'll also edit your idea into the set.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Supporting em's mon atm. Shell smash is not used a lot in lc and I would like to see a team that takes full advantage of it.

Bulky Swords Dance:

Drilbur (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Protect

OK - I hyped this thing a lot, and for good reason. After hitting +2 Attack, the things that can still beat Drilbur are: Lileep, Ferroseed (with Seed Bomb/BS), Timburr, Wooper, Hippopotas, Bronzor, Baltoy (does anyone use this???) and other physical walls NOT weak to Ground. This thing will pretty much OHKO the rest of the metagame. Eviolite Gastly survives +2 Rock Slide, but no idiot would be smart enough to actually use it (iss, my apologies). This is why I made everyone I've ever played hate sandstorm, because this thing is such a boss. Life Orb variants OHKO Slowpoke and *maybe* Hippo too.

Now, the Eviolite and Protect are also very important because Protect allows it to scout for priority attacks and whatnot. Eviolite allows Drilbur to not be KOed by stuff like Slowpoke's Scald (no, really), +1 Scraggy's Hi Jump Kick (good chance to OHKO after SR without it), and other moves. This way, Drilbur is an amazing check to Scraggy and Mienfoo, since it can actually tank attacks now.

Dwebble (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spd
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shell Smash
- X-Scissor

Another one of my personal favorites, I credit this Pokemon in my stunning 6-0 vs Al_Alchemist. With Shell Smash AND Sturdy AND decent Attack/Speed, this thing is capable of running over shit. With Magnemite and something that can remove Hippo, SS Dwebble becomes a beast. I usually run it in the lead slot, since everyone thinks it'll "just set up rocks and spikes" when BAM I got straight for the jugular with Shell Smash. Is weak to Bullet Punch but w/e only Croagunk (if it does use carry it these days) has it.

I definitely support Amber's suggestions of Dratini and Teddiursa (♥)! Dragon types are great in LC because of the lack of Ice and Dragon moves, and they have great resistances. Plus, Outrage hits soo hard. Teddiursa is just cute :)

I'm not so crazy about Drilbur, though >.<

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
PO does allow the use of Watmel Berry.

SDS, I put LO on there because Salac Berry doesn't exist in BW. I suppose I should use Oran instead though so I'll edit that in. I'll also edit your idea into the set.
Well if it exists on PO I guess it is OK to list it. However, for what it's worth I'm almost 100% certain that Watmel Berry is unobtainable in BW (I don't think it can't be found in game or in the dream world, and I don't know of any event where it has been given out).

I have two sets that I particularly enjoy using.

Scraggy (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 216 Spd
- Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Okay so this thing is one absolute baller. Even though I wrote this set, nobody actually expects it. What? Scraggy? Slow mother fucker I don't care. Scraggy outspeeds every single non scarfed / boosted Pokemon in the metagame when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Lack of weaknesses to common priority except for Mach Punch also helps it out. Moxie lets it pick up a sweep ridiculously easily. You get surprise kills on Gastly with Crunch like it's nobody's business, as they expect to outspeed you. Then just spam Drain Punch or Hi Jump Kick, and acquire some Moxie boosts. This thing is absolutely brilliant.

Exeggcute (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

This thing is just such a dick, especially with support from Sandstream or Toxic Spikes. The main thing about this monster is its infinite fucking Oran Berry. That means INFINITE SUBSTITUTION, pretty much. With a Substitute up, it can either spam Substitute to get into Oran range (while the foe is taking TSpike or whatever damage), attack with Leaf Storm / Psychic, or just Sleep Powder something. Either way, this will incapacitate or kill atleast one Pokemon on the opposing team.

These two are my favorite assholes of the meta.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm also agreeing with Shell Smash Omanyte. Like macle said, Shell Smash isn't used very much in LC, even though the user can easily rip apart teams after one smash.

Support Cottonee

item: eviolite
Leech Seed
Encore
Toxic
Energy Ball
108 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD

I think I'm the only one using Cottonee at the moment, I don't know why, it's a pretty cool dude. Can work well on both stall and offensive teams. On stall, Leech Seed + Encore force a lot of switches, so SR and spikes are quite welcome, as common switch ins such as Tailow will be worn down and will think twice about using U-turn if SR is up. Toxic hits all grass pokemon bar ferroseed, I normally pack a magnemite for that. Can always switch in to Axew, Pawniard and Drilbur to encore their set up moves. not too sure bout the EV spread though

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Elevator Music's Omanyte is looking like a pretty good choice. Always been a fan of that line ^_^!

Crux

Banned deucer.
There are some very good ideas in this thread already, keep it up everyone! Just posting to say that the poll will probably be around Thursday the 14th next Week, so if you still have not submitted your ideas you still have time!!!

I'd really rather not see Omanyte. It literally runs the exact same set as Clamperl, which is pretty common. I understand that we're not building a team around Clamperl, and we're using Omanyte instead, but it's built around the same idea. And the idea of a shell smashing water type with surf, ice beam, and hp grass is kind of common place. I'd like to see an entirely new idea, that few other pokemon can do, such as Teddiursa. Or if we insist on using Shell Smash, why don't we use Dwebble, who sets itself apart from its more common shell smashing brothers.

Clamperl really isn't at all common though..... it was #50 last month, meaning it was almost never used.

The reason I want to use Omanyte is because it's the most effective Shell Smasher.... and really the only effective one. Shell Smash Dwebble really doesn't have the firepower to OHKO most Eviolite pokemon after a boost. And honestly, neither does Teddiursa (though that's not the only problem Teddiursa has lol), or for that matter many of the Pokemon in this thread.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to using Exeggcute or Scarf Scraggy (or even like Chople Berry or something)!

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Omanyte seems interesting to me, not as much for itself but more about how we can build around it. It's a type of Pokemon that can work on many different types of teams which means we can be creative in the rest of the building process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)