Monotype Let's Get Wet Dood

Introduction

Hello I'm a long time casual player new to this site and the monotype metagame. I decided to make my first team water type built around Azumarill who I have a lot of fun using on teams. I'm not very good at introductions so I guess we should move on to my teambuilding process.

Teambuilding Process

A favorite of mine that this team is based around. Changed to perishtrapper set per Tyke's advice.

A bulky pivot I chose to keep hazards off the field and use for slow Volt Switchs to pivot in more fragile allies.

My bulky lead and rock setter. Swampert also adds an Electric immunity to the team.

The team's revenge killer and speed control.

Physical wall and Toxic Spikes setter I picked to go along with the Rotom and Swampert core.

The team's sweeper when all the checks or removed or weakened.

The Team

Azumarill (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Toxic
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song

Azumarill is the Pokemon I chose to build this team around. I went with Tyke's advice and switched Azumarill to the perishtrapper set. EVs and nature to give it the most special defense and bulk possible. Sap Sipper let's it switch in on grass attacks aimed towards Rotom and especially Swampert. Protect is used to stall out the trapped opponent to till Perish Song reaches zero. Toxic combined with Whirlpool can wear down trapped Pokemon who have the ability Soundproof like Kommo-O.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Rotom-Wash is a great partner to Azumarill as it is able to remove hazards that wear it down and can use Thunder Wave to slow that opponents that would normally outspeed half the team. Leftovers increases it's overall bulk combined with it's EV spread. Hydro poump for a hard hitting water STAB with Volt Switch serving as a way to slowly pivot in a check or counter. Will-O-Wisp was considered but I thought Thunder Wave would provide more help as added speed control to assist the team.

Swampert (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Swampert is my lead and stealth rock setter. The EV spread with Swampertite makes it bulky as possible to set up SR multiple times through out the match if needed. Stealth Rock will usually be clicked on first at the start of a match when Swampert forces a switch or the opponent's lead is of little threat. Earthquake serves as a strong main STAB that can 2HKO Toxapex while Scale is used to fish for burns. Roar rounds things a lot to force out Pokemon who try to boost in front of it or rack up hazard damage.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

The teams revenge killer and speed control which this team badly needed so I went with Greninja who is one of the best Pokemon for the job. EV spread gives it as much damage as possible combined with Choice Scarf making it one of the fastest Pokemon Monotype. U-turn lets it pivot out quickly from threats to bring in a check or counter. Gunk Shot is it's hardest hitting move for targets neutral to all it's moves. Ice Beam for pesky Ground, Dragon and Grass threats while Dark Pulse hit's Psychic and Ghost.

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover

The team's defensive backbone Toxapex serves as the main answer to stopping dangerous sweeps. Like Swampert and Rotom it's EV spread makes it as bulky as possible combined with Black Sludge recovery. Scald is used to fish for burns for chip damage. Haze to stop setup sweepers and recover to stay healthy while also stalling out threats who can't do heavy enough damage to Toxapex. Toxic Spikes to put pressure on the opposing team while further shortening sweeps.

Gyarados (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Gyarados is my sweeper and win button when all checks/counters are removed and weakened. With Moxie Gyarados further boosts it's damage with each defeated opponent. EV spread max damage and speed after a Dragon Dance. Bounce with Flyinium Z allows it to break through checks and walls it couldn't otherwise touch. Waterfall is it's main STAB for water weak or natural resistant opponents. Taunt allowling it to setup on threats like Ferrothorn.

Conclusion

That's my team in a nutshell. I've had a lot of fun building it and playing it on the ladder. That said it still has some hard matchups and I am hoping I can get some advice to help better my team. Thanks for reading and any helpful rates would be appreciated!

Azumarill (F) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Swampert (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover

Gyarados (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Last edited:
Reactions: Ara
Hello!

I can see that you wanted to build this team around Azumarill, but I don't think that Choice Band is the set that best suits your team. I think this team could benefit a lot from the PerishPool Sap Sipper Azumarill, which can trap and remove threats through the combination of Whirlpool and Perish Song.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song

Secondly, I'd consider using Mega Swampert over Swampert. You don't even need to change the set! Mega Swampert loses out on the passive recovery but benefits from a lot more overall bulk.

Hope this rate helps!

Hello!

I can see that you wanted to build this team around Azumarill, but I don't think that Choice Band is the set that best suits your team. I think this team could benefit a lot from the PerishPool Sap Sipper Azumarill, which can trap and remove threats through the combination of Whirlpool and Perish Song.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song

Secondly, I'd consider using Mega Swampert over Swampert. You don't even need to change the set! Mega Swampert loses out on the passive recovery but benefits from a lot more overall bulk.

Hope this rate helps!
Thanks made the adjustments to the team after testing it out on Showdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)