SPOILERS! Legends: Arceus Playthrough Discussion

On the other hand, what is the Fixated status?
I believe it refers to moves that gain bonus effect if used consecutively or have to be used consecutively.

Es when you use Rollout it says "X became fixated on using Rollout", but if you use another move after it says "is not fixated on rollout anymore".

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I believe it refers to moves that gain bonus effect if used consecutively or have to be used consecutively.

Es when you use Rollout it says "X became fixated on using Rollout", but if you use another move after it says "is not fixated on rollout anymore".
How much we know about this mechanic? Because i cant see something as strong as Raging Fury getting the same bonus as Rollout as that would become a better V Create in two turns.
Ok so for anyone who's given it a shot, if any, I wanna know: How's the replay value on this game lookin'? With the whole collectathon-esque nature of it and traditional fixed team of 6 building not being as viable I am mildly concerned about it not holding up as well as other entries on future go-arounds
The cutscenes become kind of annoying the second time and with less trainers than average you dont get to experiences your new team that much if you dont battle wild mons to complete dex tasks instead of just catching them. Still a fun experience but the game is better when you have stuff to discover.

One thing I am enjoying in this game over BOTW is that the encounters all over the world feel a little more interesting. The creature variety is obviously a lot greater, but there is also interesting decision making about whether to engage with an encounter you're not prepared for, whereas in BOTW it was generally not worth taking risks because difficult encounters would often consume far more resources than you'd gain from them, and the gameplay loop was more about avoiding monsters horror-game style until you reached the point that fighting them was manageable without investing too much and *then* trying to farm them for resources.

That's not to say that PLA is the superior game overall (I adore it so far, it but it's not top game of all time material), but it is a nice change of pace.

How much we know about this mechanic? Because i cant see something as strong as Raging Fury getting the same bonus as Rollout as that would become a better V Create in two turns.
Raging Fury is likely to be a Fire Outrage, because that's what it is in this game.

But it doesnt lock you into the move, what does being fixated do for them?
Fixation is this game's replacement mechanic for being locked into a move; Outrage and Petal Dance both do it IIRC. I think they did it partly because being locked into a move is an unfriendly mechanic for this combat system and partly so they could unify all lock-in moves into a single system.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Fixation is this game's replacement mechanic for being locked into a move; Outrage and Petal Dance both do it IIRC. I think they did it partly because being locked into a move is an unfriendly mechanic for this combat system and partly so they could unify all lock-in moves into a single system.
I know that, but whats the difference between using the move before being fixated and after being fixated?

Sick team, what did you end up using as your set for Gliscor?
Was an Impish Gliscor with Bulldoze, Stealth Rock, Aerial Ace and Rest. It was super tankie with Rest. Stealth Rock wore down threats. Bulldoze gave it more turns while being a decent STAB. Aerial Ace was mostly filler to hit grass and fighting types.

I did all the plot stuff in the coastlands. I came back several times for quests. I spent a long time hunting happiny. I spent a very long time just waiting around for a storm. I caught the Thundurus. I have slowly, through walks, waters and flights, looked and obtained every wisp in the coastlands. I tracked down the unowns. I completed the Manaphy sidequest. I completed another 10 dex entries.

I have still not seen a rift form in the cobalt coast.

end my life

Would "alpha" be spelled with a capital A or not? I don't think so, right?
The dex refers to them as "alpha" in lowercase. So ~officially~ I think it's just a adjective rather than a proper noun.

"Oh boy cant wait to summon Giratina at the temple"
"Ok what is Volo talking about, ok why does he look like an Arceus, oh guess it's time for the not-Cynthia fight"
One fight and 4 fainted pokemon later
"
Damn that was tough, wait why is giratina here oh god oh fuck well at least I have 2 ice types (Walrein+Mamoswine) to beat it"
One fight and 1 dead Walrein and almost dead Mamoswine later
"OH YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!"

Just reached Full Star Rank! Aside from the item rewards, I got the normal "you get more money for your surveying", but I don't know how much that is or if it's a particularly larger amount. If there's any other reward (like a hidden shiny rate increase) they're not telling

i finally got the damn magnets

Honestly I'm still a litlte mad. I only saw 2 magnetons and 1 magnemites. And after finishing out the rift, i rememebrd i saved after getting the magnemite & ton, so i thought oh I'll reload and see if i can find more. Turns out you can't save scum the rifts. Which considering their rarity is extremely rude, and it's a very good thing I saved!

only thing left are the 41 wisps i have remaining. I'll peck away at those later.

Can I just say I really hate the alpha Pokemon is close music? Like some of the field areas actually have some boppin music but I never hear them often cause that stupid alpha music plays every damn time one is nearby. I also wish I could turn off the battle music after a while cause it gets old fast and would rather soak in the atmosphere or field music.

me & the bestie!

That was a really fun battle, though I did abuse the continue function when i died like 6 balms away. Still, that was great.

Only gripe i Have is more from a story perspective
hey god it's great you respect my determination and accomplishments but like you gonna send me back or at least acknowledge going "home"? No? Really? Not even a little "we'll send you back in due time" type deal? A weird thing where we actively choose to stick around? ANYTHING?

I need to spend another day formulating how I felt about the game. I've very mixed feelings

Just took on Volo and ended up with my Gliscor soloing the team. Goodra took care of Giratina after that. It was a pretty cool battle but man Rest is busted lol

Gliscor build was
Impish
- Spikes
- Aerial Ace
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Goodra build was
Relaxed
- Dragon Pulse
- Iron Head
- Shelter
- Rest

Obviously the broad gameplay isn't going to be a thing for the main series just like LGPE, but two things I do hope make their way to the main series games are the evolve button and the change moves menu. Both are fantastic QoL features that would work for any Pokémon game and streamline things in a very sensible, clear and helpful way

Personally I just appreciate how the games went from the "If you know type matchups you win by default" of which I usually complain, to "at bare minimum you need to know type matchups to have a chance to not get murdered during battles" in this one.

Lack of trainers is all but made up by how violent some of the Alpha encounters can be :psynervous:

Personally I just appreciate how the games went from the "If you know type matchups you win by default" of which I usually complain, to "at bare minimum you need to know type matchups to have a chance to not get murdered during battles" in this one.

Lack of trainers is all but made up by how violent some of the Alpha encounters can be :psynervous:
Even knowing everything and doing stuff like grit you're still gonna get owned by an unevolved pokemon 10 levels lower than you

On one hand I appreciate the attempt to tweak the balance like this, in practice more akin to more traditional RPGs where the enemies are designed to deal more damage since its not meant to be an equal playing field, on the other hand it sure feels real off, like there's never a point where you can have it let up and the trainer battles that are there become about "you WILL lose pokemon and have to rely on revenge kills". To me it never fills that fulfilling

Honestly I feel like Abilities being in the game would have gone a long way to help even this out. OR if it used the traditional turn system instead

I think some people in here were asking, so I just tested it out -- Machoke, Kadabra, Haunter and Graveler can all still evolve via trading normally without the need for a link cable! In fact... uniquely for them, it doesn't just say "can evolve" and has you press a button, it just immediately starts evolving after trade like in the main games. So warning I guess if you wanted to trade one but didn't want to evolve it right away for whatever reason!

Even knowing everything and doing stuff like grit you're still gonna get owned by an unevolved pokemon 10 levels lower than you

On one hand I appreciate the attempt to tweak the balance like this, in practice more akin to more traditional RPGs where the enemies are designed to deal more damage since its not meant to be an equal playing field, on the other hand it sure feels real off, like there's never a point where you can have it let up and the trainer battles that are there become about "you WILL lose pokemon and have to rely on revenge kills". To me it never fills that fulfilling

Honestly I feel like Abilities being in the game would have gone a long way to help even this out. OR if it used the traditional turn system instead
I do understand that it can feel poorly balanced, though I think this is another attempt from GF to create some sort of ""level scaling"" to the game, to try and prevent from just "grinding to victory".

SwSh had a pair of these iterations if you think of it, with Wild Area pokemon scaling to the part of the plot where you are, and Isle of Armor DLC also changing levels on trainers based on your level.

I don't mind the Arceus one too much, I almost like it, albeith I do feel that they should have gone a bit less hard on "nerfing" the level differences.

I do appreciate however that they keep iterating on it: one of the main problems of turn based games (and thus, Pokemon) is that most of the time any roadblock can just be bruteforced by leveling.
Bearing in mind level scaling can also go awfully wrong (see one of the most infamous examples, Final Fantasy 8, which was probably the most known example of how to *not* do level scaling), but I think GF's approach is very promising, and I would like to see more of these in the coming games (mainline or not): having a coherent way to prevent overleveling can also open to have more strategy in the trainers' rosters that doesn't become irrelevant because your starter is 10 levels higher and roflstomps them anyway (aka, the BDSP issue notably).

(also yes, I do agree abilities would have added a interesting strategic layer to Arceus, but I suspect some of them would have been just weird to implement or even "see without previous knowledge" and that was why they got skipped)

I think some people in here were asking, so I just tested it out -- Machoke, Kadabra, Haunter and Graveler can all still evolve via trading normally without the need for a link cable! In fact... uniquely for them, it doesn't just say "can evolve" and has you press a button, it just immediately starts evolving after trade like in the main games. So warning I guess if you wanted to trade one but didn't want to evolve it right away for whatever reason!
In fact, something I didn't notice at first: trading might be a little broken in this game? When a Pokémon is traded to you, that counts as a 'caught' entry in the dex -- including any 'catch a heavy specimen' etc things. Including if it's just the same Pokémon traded back and forth. Obviously not for sleeping or without being spotted but if you're having trouble getting research 10 with a particular Pokémon and you have one of them on you, or even a friend does (say Cranidos or Porygon2), this is an easy way to get there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)