Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

This is my attempt to build a Rain Team revolving around Arrokuda's breaking and sweeping potential with Swift Swim. Aqua Jet Priority helps deal with any weakened threats (bar from Croagunk with Dry Skin) while Liquidation acts as the primary stab move. Close Combat, Drill Run and Psychic Fangs are interchangeable based on what is strong in the meta (I'm a bit rusty on LC atm lol). Life Orb allows for flexibility in move usage... However a Choice Band would allow for more immediate power. I am currently leaning towards LO with my recent testing.

The secondary Swift Swim Sweeper is Lotad, using Sub and Giga drain for longetivity, with Surf and Ice beam to round out the set. The EV spread is a little all over the place, but with Eviolite it surprisingly sponges a few good hits (Emvee would be proud).

What's a Rain Team without a Rain setter? One that can't run Drizzle in LC's case, which is where Prankster Purrlion. Prankster Rain Dance is the backbone to this team (plus Purrlion forms a mini support core with Dewpider). Twave is for Speed Control and Fake out is for chip. I'm still unsure about the spread. Done a bit of work with a physically defensive Purrlion and some testing with this Specially defensive one. Damp Rock being legal in LC also opens that up as an option to extend Rain turns, but cuts into Purrlions already mediocre bulk to do so.

Webs Dewpider is also here to help keep speedy boys until control Toxic to do what toxic does best... Torture anything that tries to switch in. Lunge is more just to give the bubble spider an answer to physical attacks, though Leech Life is still there for longetivity. Liquidation is there because... Well stab.

Nasty Plot Croagunk and Shell Smash Dwebble are here to clean up games once the rain has washed away it's prey. Croagunk can also be used as a early breaker with Dark Pulse and Sludge Wave thanks to Dry Skin healing it every turn it's in the Rain. Vacumn Wave is another piece of Priority that helps deal with anything weak that could otherwise still threaten the team *cough* Corphish *cough*

Sturdy and Berry Juice are just a staple for Little Cup, the Berry Juice basically guaranteeing Dwebble gets a Shell Smash. Rock Blast is for potential Subs, EQ for Poison and Steel types and X-Scissor as a stab move that harms Dark and Psychic types.

For starters, there's no reason to run choice band or choice specs in LC because Life Orb gives pretty much the exact same damage rolls. Get rid of Arrokuda's health IVs so it hits 19 health, making it only take 1 damage every turn instead of 2. The team is really weak against Fightspam, since while you do have two Fight-resists, neither have any recovery and both are weak to Farfetch'd Brave Bird. Timburr also puts lots of pressure on your team with Mach Punch. Your team is also very Trapinch weak, with Trapinch getting what seems like two guaranteed kills a game. It traps Croagunk and Lotad fairly easily. Plus, it can cut Arrokuda short with a First Impression that does about 14 health on average.

For starters, there's no reason to run choice band or choice specs in LC because Life Orb gives pretty much the exact same damage rolls. Get rid of Arrokuda's health IVs so it hits 19 health, making it only take 1 damage every turn instead of 2. The team is really weak against Fightspam, since while you do have two Fight-resists, neither have any recovery and both are weak to Farfetch'd Brave Bird. Timburr also puts lots of pressure on your team with Mach Punch. Your team is also very Trapinch weak, with Trapinch getting what seems like two guaranteed kills a game. It traps Croagunk and Lotad fairly easily. Plus, it can cut Arrokuda short with a First Impression that does about 14 health on average.
I can see the Trapping Croagunk part... But for Lotad...

196+ SpA Lotad Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Trapinch First Impression vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Lotad: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
196+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Lotad: 7-9 (33.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
196+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Lotad: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
196+ Atk Trapinch Crunch vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Lotad: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Yeah, not so much.

Though, if you have a recommendation for a mon to place on the team to deal with fightspam/G-Farfetch'd I'd love to hear ya out.

Lotad is bound to get weakened by the time Trapinch comes out so it should be fairly easy. I would replace Lotad with LO Wingull, since rain boosted scalds and perfect accuracy hurricanes are pretty nice. Plus, it should outspend everything if you have webs up.

Lotad is bound to get weakened by the time Trapinch comes out so it should be fairly easy. I would replace Lotad with LO Wingull, since rain boosted scalds and perfect accuracy hurricanes are pretty nice. Plus, it should outspend everything if you have webs up.
Wingull @ Life Orb
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Defog

How's this look?

Wingull @ Life Orb
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Defog

How's this look?
You don't really need ice beam, water flying is atleast neutral against everything other than Chinchou. Maybe U-Turn instead. There's really almost no time that you'd want to use ice beam.

Also I would experiment and see if Rain Dish or Hydration is better. Making Wingull immune to para could be nice, but nullifying it's LO recoil is also pretty good. Wingull is so frail that it generally will just still get OHKO or 2HKO anyway though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)