Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Seaking

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Whiscash

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Wishiwashi

Votes: 21 14.3%

• Total voters

TABLE OF CONTENTS: (use ctrl + F to skip to a certain section!)
1. Introduction
2. Proof of Peak
3. Team + Description
4. Team Building Process
5. Team Usage Tips
6. Threat List
7. Replays
8. Shoutouts
9. Importable
10. Other Teams

11. Outro

1. INTRODUCTION

Lanturn has been a pokemon I’ve been wanting to build around for a while. Most unique pokemon disappoint when you use them-- you have high expectations when you look at it in teambuilder, then when testing on ladder its poor stats, bad movepool, or situationally dependent role comes alive. Lanturn is the opposite. I used it thinking it would provide an answer for Zapdos, Tapu Koko, and Volcanion… and then it does so much more. With the rise of Calm Mind Tapu Koko, Zapdos, Rotom-Wash, and Regieleki, I knew it was Lanturn’s time to shine. This team carried me to my highest ELO ever, smashing many great players and defeating a seemingly endless number of Stall teams. Bioluminescence is the production of light by living organisms, and Lanturn definitely lit up the ladder. This may be the best team I’ve made this generation, and it has well earned its name. I present to you, Bioluminescence!

2. PROOF OF PEAK

The first screenshot shows me at #1, the second screenshot shows the highest peak the team reached at 2129. Lanturn destroyed high ladder.

3. TEAM + DESCRIPTION

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

- Scald

Role / General Tips
: Lanturn is the Electric immunity and Heal Bell cleric. It also functions as a secondary switchin to Ghost types like Blacephalon and Dragapult. It’s great for walling Zapdos, Tapu Koko, Nasty Plot Tornadus, and Volcanion.
Item: Leftovers helps Lanturn restore health and consistently answer Tapu Koko and Zapdos.
Moves: Thunder Wave is a great for paralyzing foes and severely crippling offensive pokemon, notably Dragapult and Tornadus-Therian. Often people will leave in their Tornadus to click Knock Off on Lanturn, so Thunder Waving is usually a great trade. You can also use Thunder Wave on Clefable, which usually thinks it’s safe against Lanturn. Volt Switch is used so that Lanturn can swap out of the pokemon it walls, and get in a breaker or a support pokemon. Often Ground types will be afraid to switch into Lanturn since it has Scald. Heal Bell is a move that heals Status conditions for the whole party. This is extremely important since the breaking core of this team, Kartana and Tapu Bulu, are frequent victims of Scald burns, Static, and Flame Body. Heal Bell can get both of them in fighting shape again. Finally, Scald is a strong STAB move that Lanturn can use to deal decent damage and threaten incoming Galarian Slowking, Ferrothorn, Landorus, and Garchomp with a Burn.
EVs & Nature: Maximum HP and near maximum special defense lets Lanturn be an effective special wall for Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and other special attackers. 20 Defense EVs lets Lanturn stay in on Choice Specs Tapu Lele leads and click Thunder Wave if Lanturn is at 100% health.
Other Options: You could run Toxic, but with two other Toxic users, Thunder Wave has tested a lot better. You could also run max special defense and ignore the small Lele calc.
Notable Calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Lanturn in Rain: 192-227 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Lanturn: 190-225 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Lanturn in Psychic Terrain: 382-451 (84.3 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Lanturn: 124-147 (27.3 - 32.4%) -- 64.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Lanturn: 93-109 (20.5 - 24%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Atk / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Horn Leech
- Toxic

Role / General Tips: Tapu Bulu is an Urshifu-Rapid-Strike switch in, Water resist, Garchomp answer, and breaker. It lives almost every hit in OU and clicks Toxic, making it great throughout the game to cripple the opponent’s team. Swords Dance can be used to put pressure on the opponent, and force them to bring out their breaker to be poisoned.
Item: Leftovers, alongside Grassy Terrain and Horn Leech, helps keep Tapu Bulu healthy despite not having synthesis.
Moves: Swords Dance is a great boosting move for putting pressure on the opponent’s team and sometimes sweeping. Close Combat hits Steel types, notably Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Heatran. Horn Leech is a powerful STAB move that heals Tapu Bulu when it connects. Lastly, Toxic is great for dealing with all the pokemon Tapu Bulu can’t otherwise break. Tapu Bulu lives Hurricane from Tornadus and Defensive Zapdos, making Toxic a great play against many Flying pokemon. Additionally, Toxic helps against Unaware Clefable, Buzzwole, Shedinja, Dragonite, Volcarona, and more.
EVs & Nature: Maximum HP with 32 special defense lets Tapu Bulu always live an uninvested Zapdos Hurricane, and Toxic in return. The rest is in attack for optimal breaking capability and power.
Other Options: I don’t see any changes that would be good. You could run Protect or Synthesis, but I really don’t think it would make the team stronger.
Notable Calcs:

0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 32 SpD Tapu Bulu: 288-342 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

+2 228+ Atk Tapu Bulu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 338-398 (96 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

228+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 181-214 (50.7 - 59.9%) -- 34.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic

Role / General Tips: Heatran is the Stealth Rock setter, primary Weavile answer, and defensive wall. If your opponent has a Weavile, try to keep Heatran healthy-- this is very important. If you let it get chipped, Weavile can sweep through the team. Keep in mind Clefable can wishport to keep it healthy. With Grassy Terrain support, you can also tank Earthquake easily from Garchomp and Landorus, use Toxic, and use Wish and Protect to regain health.
Item: Leftovers lets Heatran have more longevity throughout the game, especially with Protect and Grassy Terrain.
Moves: Stealth Rock is a great move for chipping the opponent’s team throughout the game. Getting Stealth Rock up early is usually a good idea, although Toxic is often more worth going for early game. Lava Plume is a great STAB move with a 30% chance to Burn, making Heatran a Burn machine with Flame Body. Protect is great for scouting Choice pokemon and recovering health. If your opponent can’t set up or threaten you, but also won’t switch out, click Protect and get some extra health. Lastly, Toxic is a move that inflicts residual damage, extremely good considering this team has 2 Protect pokemon: Clefable and Heatran.
EVs & Nature: Maximum HP and defense investment is for Weavile, Victini, Kartana, and other physical attackers.
Other Options: You can run Air Balloon to make lead situations easier, but Leftovers are very nice in many more matchups.
Notable Calcs:

+2 252 Atk Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 207-244 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 169-201 (43.8 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Heatran in Psychic Terrain: 149-176 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

- Teleport

Role / General Tips
: Clefable is the Dragapult switch in, a Wishport supporting pokemon. It’s also the main special wall, able to take on most sets of Volcanion and Blacephalon. It can also act as a Knock Off absorber against bulky teams, since it can sit on Toxapex and Ferrothorn forever. Switch Clefable in against pokemon that can’t touch it, such as Gastrodon or Toxapex. If you can’t touch them, no problem-- a stalemate benefits you, since you get to Wishport to heal the rest of your team as they sit there doing nothing.
Item: Leftovers gives Clefable great recovery, especially since it has Protect.
Moves: Wish is incredible for healing Clefable and the rest of the team. Along with Protect and Leftovers, Clefable heals 62% from just 1 Wish. Wish can be passed to other Pokemon to restore huge amounts of health as well, although note that Wish healing is based on Clefable HP, so it will heal the whole team over 50% except for Lanturn, which will be healed less than 50%. Wish into Teleport is often the right play, although sometimes a hard switch is better depending on what the opponent has on the field. Protect helps Wish come off when Clefable needs it, and also allows for scouting sets and stalling Toxic turns. You can also use Protect to tank Future Sight and avoid dealing with Future Sight + a breaker on the same turn. Moonblast is a great STAB move to hit Dragapult, Garchomp, Dragonite, Urshifu, and deal decent damage to other pokemon. Finally, Teleport is a great minimum priority move that lets Clefable safely exit the field and Wishport to frail pokemon like Kartana.
EVs & Nature: Maximum HP and special defense is to take Dragapult and Blacephalon Shadow Ball and other special attackers. 4 speed EVs is to win ties against other Clefable. You may wonder why I’m not running a minimum speed IV for the slowest possible Teleport. Even with minimum speed, Clefable is faster than Slowbro, and I’ve found more instances where I wanted to outspeed another Clefable, a Melmetal, or a Gastrodon and Moonblast.
Other Options: You can run 156 defense EVs with 100 special defense EVs (same nature) to live Hawlucha Acrobatics, Galarian Zapdos CB Brave Bird, CB Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes, and CB Weavile Triple Axel.
Notable Calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 127-150 (32.2 - 38%) -- 1.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 169-199 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Hurricane

- U-turn

Role / General Tips: Tornadus is the Ground immunity, Defogger, and answer to Kartana and Rillaboom. Try to poison Stealth Rock Landorus early game with another pokemon, and then use this Tornadus set to permanently keep hazards off the field on your side. Our team doesn’t appreciate Spikes or Stealth Rock, so it’s best to keep them away, usually even if it means sacrificing your own Stealth Rock. Try to play in a way that avoids having to hit Hurricane. Don’t rely upon it if you don’t have to.
Item: Heavy Duty Boots allow Tornadus to ignore Stealth Rock damage, making it a much more effective Defogger.
Moves: Taunt is great for denying non attacking moves, notably Stealth Rock and Spikes, which hurt the rest of the team. Taunting Mew leads is often a very effective strategy against HO. Taunt can also prevent recovery, making it sometimes a very annoying Pokemon for fat balances to deal with. Finally, Taunt is good for denying setup against HO teams, and Dragonite or Volcarona on balance. Defog removes hazards, and also drops the opponent’s Evasion, making Hurricane very likely to hit at 93%. Hurricane is a strong STAB move that deals solid damage to walls like Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Clefable while also OHKOing Rillaboom and Kartana. U-turn lets Tornadus switch out without the need to predict, while dealing decent damage and collecting info on the opponent’s defensive EV investment or lack thereof.
EVs & Nature: Tornadus is Timid with 168 speed EVs to outspeed base 110 pokemon such as Gengar and Latios. Kartana is base 109, so it outspeeds Kartana as well. The rest is in HP and defense to make Tornadus the most effective wall it can be.
Other Options: I highly recommend this set, and I see no good alternatives.
Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 163-192 (45 - 53%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 344-408 (100.8 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade

- Sacred Sword

Role / General Tips
: Kartana is the main breaker of the team. It’s solid defense and significant power also allow it to act as an answer to Rillaboom, Garchomp, and Excadrill under certain circumstances. Kartana is often a good lead if you predict your opponent will lead with Clefable. Remember that it’s OK if Kartana gets burned or paralyzed, you can always Heal Bell it off. Taking lots of chip is worth taking down a wall, since Clefable can also Wish it back up.
Item: Choice Band allows Kartana to be instantly threatening, OHKOing or 2HKOing almost every Pokemon in OU.
Moves: Knock Off is an easy and spammable high power option, great for early game in particular. It’s often a catch-all play to just click Knock Off. Smart Strike is a 70 base power STAB move that does massive damage to common Kartana switchins such as Tangrowth, Tornadus, and Buzzwole. Leaf Blade is Kartana’s strongest STAB move at 90 BP, especially when boosted by Grassy Terrain. Lastly, Sacred Sword hits Steel types such as Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Heatran very hard.
EVs & Nature: Maximum speed and attack lets Kartana be a strong breaker and sweeper.
Other Options: I don’t recommend changing any of these moves.
Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 384-453 (107.5 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 390-458 (98.9 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 226-266 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

4. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

With Rotom-Wash, Zapdos, and Tapu Koko rising in popularity, I wanted to build Lanturn.

I tried to think of what pokemon appreciated Lanturn, and Bulu really stuck out. It provided Grassy Terrain for Lanturn, it appreciates Heal Bell, and perhaps most importantly gets Toxic, letting it chip down flying types that Lanturn can switch into for free.

I added a physically defensive Flame Body Heatran to compliment Lanturn. Lanturn is physically weak, and doesn’t like taking Knock Off. Heatran threatens Knock Off users with a potential Burn, and also appreciates Tapu Bulu’s Grassy Terrain.

I needed a Ghost resist of some kind, and I had a 3 pokemon defensive core with no recovery. A specially defensive Wish + Teleport Clefable was perfect.

I needed a Defogger, solid speed control, and a Ground immunity, so Tornadus-Therian was the perfect choice. Furthermore, Lanturn, Tapu Bulu, and Heatran all dislike Stealth Rock, so having a Defog + Taunt Tornadus fit perfectly.

My team had SD + Toxic Tapu Bulu to break slowly, but no immediate power. It also wasn’t as fat as a Stall team, so without some immediate power I’d be weak to balance. I added Choice Band Kartana since it greatly appreciated Bulu, and it loves Heal Bell and Wish support.

5. TEAM USAGE TIPS

Vs Stall:

• Stall matchups are usually free. Just be patient.
  • Use Tapu Bulu + Kartana to break. Bulu alone can sometimes set up and win, since it can Poison walls that usually threaten it, like Unaware Clefable, Buzzwole, and Zapdos.
  • Don’t let either Bulu or Kartana get chipped to the point where they can't be Wish ported to, as in they’ll die to hazards.
  • Feel free to let Bulu or Kartana take lots of damage and status if it means getting a kill or a lot of chip. With Heal Bell + Wishport, they can both come back from anything easily against passive teams.

Vs Balance:

• Use Kartana to break early game.
  • Try to spread Toxic around a lot. With 2 Protect pokemon, it will add up.
  • Try to keep hazards off the field using Tornadus + Taunt.
  • Against Landorus leads, Tapu Bulu Toxic is often good.
  • Keep Clefable healthy enough to switch into Specs Dragapult.

Vs Offense:

• Try to spread Toxic and Lanturn Thunder Wave.
  • Keep hazards under control with Tornadus, the team is much easier to overwhelm when the opponent has hazards up.

Vs HO:

• Identify early on what you need to check which pokemon, and keep them healthy enough to do so. For example, Heatran needs to be healthy to use Toxic on Volcarona.
  • Lead with Tornadus frequently against HO leads and use Taunt.
  • Using Tornadus to deny setup throughout the game is often a very effective strategy.
  • Kartana Knock Off can often be almost impossible for HO to switch in on, so click it when you have a good opportunity.
  • Sack useless pokemon. If Lanturn has no purpose against HO, sacking it to stall Toxic turns is a good idea.

General Tips:

• Spread status, Toxic and Paralysis are insanely good.
  • Keep hazards off the field. Bulu, Heatran, and Lanturn all dislike them.
  • Poison the opponent’s Ground type if you can. When Lanturn is free to click Volt Switch, it becomes a menace that easily lets in Kartana.
  • Focus on having a solid gameplan. Often you won’t need to make risky predictions with this team, you just need to play smart.

6. THREAT LIST

Sun is the most difficult matchup. Your only Fire resist is Lanturn, and the entire team other than Clefable dies to +2 Venusaur. I would advise trying to Thunder Wave Venusaur with Lanturn, they may leave it in and try to use Growth. Lanturn can also wall Eruption Heatran in the Sun as long as it’s not Choice Specs. Protect Heatran and Clefable can also help to stall out Sun turns. Try to use Kartana Knock Off and other moves to break, since you certainly won’t win by trying to wall out Sun.

Galarian Slowking has no specific answer on this team. Kartana can OHKO with Knock Off, and when burned or paralyzed it becomes much less threatening, but many sets can be scary. If you see a Slowking-Galar, try to Burn with Heatran or Paralyze with Lanturn. Both of these options make it easier to chip, and when Paralyzed Clefable can usually Stall out Sludge Bomb and Teleport to Kartana at a good time.

Hawlucha can OHKO the entire team at +2. Heatran can fish for Flame Body, Tornadus has a 43% chance to live +2 Acrobatics and it OHKOs in return with Hurricane. Other than that, you have no outs. You can poison with Tapu Bulu, and then use Heatran and Clefable Protect to stall it out. Other pokemon can cripple Hawlucha. Lanturn can Thunder Wave, Heatran can Poison, Tornadus can OHKO, and Clefable can deal massive damage with Moonblast. If Hawlucha sets up though, without Status, you can just lose. Running 156 defense on Clefable allows you to live a +2 Acrobatics guaranteed, and also tank a lot of other Physical hits like Galarian Zapdos Brave Bird and CB Urshifu Rapid Strikes. It does make you weaker against Ghosts, but overall this is a really strong change.

Excadrill at +2 with a speed boost can sweep the team. However, we have answers. Try to keep Grassy Terrain up against Excadrill teams. With Grassy Terrain activated, hard Kartana is often a really solid answer. Tornadus can use Taunt and prevent setup, Lanturn can fish for Scald Burns (especially in Grassy Terrain), Heatran can fish for Flame Body, and Bulu can live an Iron Head after Stealth Rock and OHKO in return with Close Combat.

Volcarona is a very avoidable threat. As long as Heatran is healthy, it can always come in and Toxic. Furthermore, Tornadus has Taunt, Tapu Bulu lives an unboosted Flamethrower and has Toxic, Kartana does massive damage, etc. Still, you should watch out. The play if Kartana gets a setup opportunity is either hard Heatran or go Clefable and Teleport into Heatran. Heatran does live +2 offensive Flamethrower after Stealth Rock if at full. Generally it shouldn’t be sweeping you as long as you’re aware of it and you play carefully.

7. REPLAYS

Game that reached 2129: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1612623544-gmiam907t59gonx9iw39u76gcfmipdjpw *it says 2128 but ladder said 2129, this happens sometimes.
Vs Melmetal HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1611700044-hsirc4h1dugt4wb053ew6uue2r0qttdpw
Vs Zapdos + Garchomp Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1611286379-t5hsacogm5d6pyg2idktrjf3htbanfjpw
Vs Regieleki + Gzap: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1610482524-t068266cagd9a1e36u4zovaxnbv18lgpw
Vs Excadrill + Glowking Sand: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1609776445-apf2s3u09c0rf3m5qjh1et6z0xzxgegpw
Vs Unaware Clefable + Zapdos Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1609219947-ke2710qegsk4f19ax0oimvndz7dyxjipw
Vs Shedinja + Ditto Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1608558624-11v8utnreeroouwli7kd9cr0l6b65y2pw
Vs CB Buzzwole Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1607768263-wy8vbjjjgwnf3ozvy46bbw9vv3yftmupw
Vs Nihilego HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1607013948-w142bq7jqro20gwntqa5c5q817vgfaipw
Vs Dragonite + Magnezone Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1607007594-5up5k91otj7lkznz21vv7w0byo47khvpw
Vs Excadrill + Ditto Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1606448320-j5lb687r0ot92jrshano1weuwe974wupw
Vs Zapdos + Skarmory Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1606387225-focfs17k5se2ev72di83bfqpznvy691pw
Vs Blaziken HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1606378446-1nk38xvif231yeyt7kijzx3yhu6rrtapw
Vs Another Lanturn: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1605603250-xnro110k5wpp39g047e7rj7e2yzlqjspw
Vs Alolan Ninetales HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1605599263-x9xfqa8tfpv5mwmyql6ezyy9zaxbrdqpw
Vs Nidoking + CB Ttar Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1605439801-e5w27e41zy0g860nrpie4ui2q1dou6spw
Vs Zapdos + Buzzwole Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1605385236-37uk7cpzg6gx7facsk2ejze0hfo5vatpw
Vs Unaware Clefable + CB Ttar Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1604783429-10ra907fkifsp3dj6ntwkj94l92f1bepw
Vs Zapdos + Tangrowth Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1604774472-qb2ku7ygwviigy4sruzjtfv416pss5lpw
Vs Zapdos + Glowking Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1604758458-4zzlldkh7a6yc4om5su8d6tzx37wf2tpw
Vs Keldeo: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1604419763-yj7du66n70pap5h57dazbbju81shtt5pw
Vs Dragapult HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1604202941-yg67d8d7s6olixufucjdwnz5ta6mbjkpw
Vs Polteageist Psychic Terrain HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1604200531-hlkdp51uwndjq6g00ib8v8emcrg7rnmpw
Vs Hawlucha HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1603617313-xjns8opa9awgjg9ektf0igk7lbv68ctpw
Vs Volcarona + Excadrill Sand: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1603414990-ae4k6mlv2jpxh3q7us0ftxvg912nelepw
Vs CB Weavile Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1602991561-wh4drd9v3a02njmar1ucjfubkzs7e7ypw
Vs Volcarona + Dragonite Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1602987594-nfs4yz07gz28dwzwb168uz773e0xqp8pw

8. SHOUTOUTS

Shoutouts to Storm Zone for helping ghost a few games and tweaking some sets. Huge thanks to shawk*+:) for the incredible banner and pokemon name art designs, they look amazing. Lastly thank you to Tenebricite for help ghosting and moral support during the week it took me to get this peak.

9. IMPORTABLE

The Team: https://pokepast.es/d7d07b8d03517897

156 Defense EVs Clef Version: https://pokepast.es/7c1abc1913b10893

Team with my Nicknames (and preferred sets): https://pokepast.es/5361b7bbdb3cb85f

10. OTHER TEAMS

*click on Pokemon sprites for the RMT link

Flame Charge Blacephalon Balance - Peaked #1: LIKELY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

Alolan Raichu Balance - Peaked #3: LIKELY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES
OR
Hail Offense - Peaked #1: LIKELY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

Regieleki Rain - Peaked #1

Galarian Zapdos Hazard Stack - Peaked #1: LIKELY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

Alakazam Psyspam - Peaked #1

Nihilego Offense - Peaked #1: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

Porygon-Z Rain - Peaked #1

Grass Spam - Peaked #1

Heliolisk Rain - Peaked #1

Umbreon Balance - Peaked #1

Regieleki Sun - Peaked #1

11. OUTRO

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoy the team! :D

Also, here’s an anti-Stall post I made that tells you how to fight it and Stall proof your teams: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-3539.3672210/post-9164974

I'll also soon be starting up a Youtube channel, to help you guys learn how to improve your building and playing. As gen 9 approaches, a lot of cool building ideas will be uncovered... what underrated pokemon will change the metagame this time? I'm super excited to find out alongside you all!

Last edited:
Love lanturn and can’t wait to use this team, I liked NP Rotom wash because of his typing and walling/breaking common mons and can’t wait to do it again with tanky lanturn

I would never have expected this in a million years! Amazing peak, really shows how you guys work your magic through teams like these.

And the use of dual Fairy-types? Even better! Plus it's fun to see so many sets you wouldn't normally expect all the the same team, the surprise factor is immaculate.

Lets GOOO Lanturn is finally here! I love how the team is part grass spam with CB Kartana :D

Amazing work

Just a question, the team lacks speed control like Raikou said. Do you think ScarfTana could work or nah?

Lets GOOO Lanturn is finally here! I love how the team is part grass spam with CB Kartana :D

Amazing work

Just a question, the team lacks speed control like Raikou said. Do you think ScarfTana could work or nah?
Scarf Tana could work, for sure. However, it makes you worse against balance and Stall. Speed has never really been an issue for me when testing, because the team is very bulky and often doesn't really need speed, since it can wall everything faster than Tornadus. Also, without CB Kartana we have no reliable way to kill Galarian Slowking. You're welcome to test, but I'm sure you'll have no issues with fast mons.

Well done again Pinka & Zone. Amazings spreads for current meta and if anything go outside control, go thunder wave bruuuuh
Lanturn lover here obviously.

zReptar

formerly LT83AQ Lou
Nice! glad to see this out its a great team (Although spdef wish clef is still my enemy as u know). You're Starting a channel!?!? I just Can't wait to see that and i wish you the best of luck

how would you deal with nidoking?
Yes Nidking is quite scary, how you deal with it really depends on how the game goes. For starters, be aware that Lanturn and Clefable both live any hit from Nidoking at full. This can be big, since they may overpredict as you stay in and attack. Clefable can also safely teleport out at full, since Sludge Wave doesn't kill. Kartana OHKOs, Tornadus 2HKOs, and you can hit it as it switches in with the majority of the team. A very scary pokemon, but you can deny it safe entry if you play carefully.

Very nice team Pinkacross, and well done for dredging Lanturn out all the way from PU!

I myself use WishPort Clefable these days, but for some reason Showdown tells me it's forbidden to use Magic Guard on it and I have to stick with Unaware. Your team shows something is quite not right with me, since you did that without problems.

However, since I did stick with Unaware, I'd like to point out it solves quite a couple troubling matchups for you. Hawlucha is now useless against you (no need to invest in defense anymore), as is Volcarona. You can also be annoyed by offensive DD Dragonite, who can get at +1 on choice-locked Kartana and then OHKO Tapu Bulu, Heatran, Lanturn and deal huge damage to the three others. But with Unaware Clefable, no problems. Besides, between Grassy terrain and Heal Bell support, you will not miss Magic Guard too much.

Very nice team Pinkacross, and well done for dredging Lanturn out all the way from PU!

I myself use WishPort Clefable these days, but for some reason Showdown tells me it's forbidden to use Magic Guard on it and I have to stick with Unaware. Your team shows something is quite not right with me, since you did that without problems.

However, since I did stick with Unaware, I'd like to point out it solves quite a couple troubling matchups for you. Hawlucha is now useless against you (no need to invest in defense anymore), as is Volcarona. You can also be annoyed by offensive DD Dragonite, who can get at +1 on choice-locked Kartana and then OHKO Tapu Bulu, Heatran, Lanturn and deal huge damage to the three others. But with Unaware Clefable, no problems. Besides, between Grassy terrain and Heal Bell support, you will not miss Magic Guard too much.
You're probably running Softboiled + Teleport or some other incompatible move. Wishport tect MB should be able to have either ability. As for running Unaware, this would make the team too weak to hazards and Heatran, and make our only reliable switchin to Dragapult much less consistent. For dealing with Hawlucha, I'd much rather run defense EVs than Unaware. As for DD Dragonite, the standard set (DD roost IP EQ) cant ohko Bulu at +1 even with full hazards up. Volcarona is stopped by Heatran and annoyed by other memebers of the team. I dont believe the benefits of Unaware outweigh Magic Guard. Its a neat idea, but in practice I think you'll find it opens up many small holes, although fixing a couple as well.

As to the Dragonite set I was thinking about, it's the one with Dual Wingbeat, which 2HKOs Clefable and OHKOs your Tapu Bulu at +1 and can live a Moonblast even with Multiscale down. But fair point about tanking Shadow Balls; I had overlooked that.

As to the Dragonite set I was thinking about, it's the one with Dual Wingbeat, which 2HKOs Clefable and OHKOs your Tapu Bulu at +1 and can live a Moonblast even with Multiscale down. But fair point about tanking Shadow Balls; I had overlooked that.
Dragonite imo can be played around.

+1 252 Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 260-308 (65.9 - 78.1%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

While this calc is scary, Clef with a little chip on Nite can do almost 60-70 of the damage with Moonblast. Clef can also teleport into Tran for it to toxic or burn Nite or Torn to taunt Dnite before it roosts. +1 DWB never ohkos standard Torn (248/92/168+) and does basically nothing to Phys Def Tran. "What about EQ?" Well, Phys Def Tran is also 2KHO'd by Earthquake even at +1 under Grassy Terrian and can threaten the aforementioned burn or a toxic.

+1 252 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Lanturn in Grassy Terrain: 252-298 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

+2 252 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Lanturn in Grassy Terrain: 336-396 (74.1 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Also Lanturn lives a +2 EQ Under Grassy Terrain and can threaten a Scald Burn or a T-Wave.

Last edited:
could u make a team around cramorant ? Cramorant is overated but i think we can still
exploit that mons
View attachment 441702
Unviable, it's walled by Lanturn

A Lanturn team getting rmt'd is awesome as you've been wanting to make it work for a while, looks well built too! The Tapu Bulu set is unique, toxic+cc+horn leech work extremely well with eachother and helps put common pivots on a timer while punishing others with hard hitting attacks.

Stonewalling the otherwise overwhelming electrics currently is incredibly valuable, it still maintains momentum unlike Gastrodon, isn't getting hydro pump'd to death like the other grounds and can even fight toxic off with heal bell, Lanturn is a smart pick for the meta.

Last edited:
Basic set with roost , surf. Others move can be hurricane , defogger or substitute
And hp def evs.
Just checked it out. Terrible stats, no utility moves, Gulp Missile doesn't activate through substitute... I mean holy crap this mon looks terrible. I can't see this being anywhere close to viable at a top level unfortunately. Scarf Cramorant as a cheese mon maybe... but yea I don't think I'm going to attempt building something that looks so bad on paper. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)