National Dex UU Ladder Moment (Mega Beedrill) [DONE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[SET]
Please Don't Use Mega Beedrill (Beedrill-Mega) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run / Pursuit
- Knock Off / Pursuit

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite Mega Beedrill initially seeming like a good Pokemon thanks to its exceptional Attack and Speed stats, great ability in Adaptability, and access to U-turn, it is completely unviable. While U-turn can grab momentum against foes such as Latios and Serperior, and Poison Jab has some utility in targeting Fairy-types like Clefable, Bug and Poison is an atrocious STAB combination that has no way to break through common defensive Pokemon like Hippowdon and Buzzwole, and it notably struggles to even touch Steel-types. Skarmory and Celesteela stonewall Mega Beedrill, and while other Steel-types dislike Drill Run and Knock Off, virtually every Steel-type, from Iron Treads to Excadrill, can usually beat Mega Beedrill one-on-one. As a pivot, Mega Beedrill suffers massively due to its Stealth Rock weakness and inability to hold Heavy-Duty Boots, which makes it very over-reliant on hazard control, or else it'd be worn down rapidly. Mega Beedrill's paltry defensive stats and terrible typing give it practically no defensive utility, rendering it extremely vulnerable to Choice Scarf users such as Galarian Zapdos and priority moves like Scizor's Bullet Punch and Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Pursuit is another seemingly useful option, with its ability to outpace the likes of Choice Specs Latios and Mega Latias working well in tandem with Mega Beedrill's ability to hit them super effectively. However, Mega Beedrill is outclassed as a Pursuit trapper by Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Tyranitar, both of which have a much better offensive and defensive presence thanks to their better typings. For teammates, entry hazard removers like Iron Treads and Tapu Fini are mandatory. Special attackers that can remove or chip physical walls, such as Iron Moth and Thundurus-T, are necessary to let Mega Beedrill have any hope of threatening the opposing team. Magnezone is notable for its ability to trap and remove Skarmory and Celesteela. Entry hazards from setters like Ting-Lu and Skarmory can chip Mega Beedrill's targets and help it actually KO its targets. Overall, Mega Beedrill is an offensive threat that loses to most foes and requires excessive amounts of support to function properly; thus, it is far too difficult to apply to standard teams to be considered viable.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/gangsta-spongebob.535530/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/nimzowitsch.272785/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/runo.568189/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/red-fintans.637479/

Last edited:
Add / Remove / Comment
[SET]
Tera Type: Bug
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Poison Jab
-Drill Run / Pursuit
-Knock Off / Pursuit

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite Mega Beedrill initially seeming like a good Pokemon thanks to exceptional Attack and Speed stats, ability in Adaptability, and access to U-turn, it is completely unviable. While U-turn can grab momentum against foes such as Mega-Tyranitar, Latios, and Serperior, and Poison Jab has some utility in targeting Fairy-types like Clefable, Bug and Poison is an atrocious STAB combination that has no way to break through common Pokemon like Hippowdon and Buzzwole, and it notably struggles to even touch Steel-types. Skarmory and Celesteela stonewall Mega Beedrill, and while other Steel-types dislike Drill Run and Knock Off, virtually every Steel-type, from Aegislash to Excadrill, can beat usually Mega Beedrill one-on-one. As a pivot, Mega Beedrill suffers massively due to its Stealth Rock weakness and inability to hold Heavy-Duty Boots, which makes it very over reliant on hazard control or else it'd be worn down rapidly. Mega Beedrill's paltry defensive stats and poor defensive typing give it practically no defensive utility, rendering it extremely vulnerable to priority like Scizor's Bullet Punch and leaving it losing the one-on-one to most offensive threats like Cinderace. I would also include how its frailty and bad typing make it easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users such as Galarian Zapdos as well as Booster Energy Iron Moth. Pursuit is another seemingly useful option, with its ability to outpace the likes of Choice Specs Latios and Mega Latias working well in tandem with Mega Beedrill's ability to hit them super effectively. However, Mega Beedrill's complete inability to switch into these threats leaves it outclassed as a Pursuit trapper by Mega Tyranitar, which may not have Mega Beedrill's Speed but it does have tangible defensive utility and a much more threatening presence. It's also worth noting that Mega Beedrill doesn't even do that much with Pursuit as it doesn't have STAB on it, making it a very unreliable trapper. In any case most of the time you would just want to just U-turn on Lati@s anyway. For teammates, entry hazard removers like Iron Treads and Salamence are mandatory. Special attackers that can remove or chip physical walls, such as Iron Moth and Thundurus-T, are necessary to let Mega Beedrill have any hope of threatening the opposing team. Magnezone is notable for its ability to trap and remove Skarmory and Celesteela. Entry hazards from setters like Orgerpon-C and Skarmory can chip Mega Beedrill's targets and help it actually KO its targets. I personally would not use Ogrepon-C as a setter since I feel that's wasting its offensive potential. I would probably mention more along the lines of Excadrill, Iron Treads, and Clefable for entry hazard setters. However, Mega Beedrill is an offensive threat that loses to most foes and a pivot that requires excessive amounts of support to switch in, and thus you should never use it if your goal is to win. I feel like "never" is a bit too strong of a word but maybe that's just me. MBeedrill is admittedly very bad. I would probably say more along the lines of "and thus it is largely unviable in the tier."

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

There are also some grammar/spelling problems but I'll leave that to GP. Overall good job!

Moderator Edit: Not supposed to be an official check so marking this as an AM instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runo

I get imposter syndrome from playing mons!!!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Nizmo Add / Nizmo Remove / Nizmo Comment
Runo Add / Runo Remove / Runo Comment
[SET]
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Poison Jab
-Drill Run / Pursuit
-Knock Off / Pursuit

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite Mega Beedrill initially seeming like a good Pokemon thanks to exceptional Attack and Speed stats, ability in Adaptability, and access to U-turn, it is completely unviable. While U-turn can grab momentum against foes such as Mega-Tyranitar MTtar is too conditional since it TTar can eat a U-turn and OHKO back with Pursuit. Mttar is also almost never switching into a stray u-turn either so its really only in that turn one lead matchup which is something that Beedrill can definitely lose, Latios, and Serperior, and Poison Jab has some utility in targeting Fairy-types like Clefable, Bug and Poison is an atrocious STAB combination that has no way to break through common Pokemon like Hippowdon and Buzzwole, and it notably struggles to even touch Steel-types. Skarmory and Celesteela stonewall Mega Beedrill, and while other Steel-types dislike Drill Run and Knock Off, virtually every Steel-type, from Aegislash to Excadrill, can beat usually Mega Beedrill one-on-one. As a pivot, Mega Beedrill suffers massively due to its Stealth Rock weakness and inability to hold Heavy-Duty Boots, which makes it very over reliant on hazard control or else it'd be worn down rapidly. Mega Beedrill's paltry defensive stats and poor defensive typing give it practically no defensive utility, rendering it extremely vulnerable to priority like Scizor's Bullet Punch and leaving it losing the one-on-one to most offensive threats like Cinderace. Don't like this mention since Cinderace will just get U-turned on and chunked for 30-40% not really a check tbh, Iron Hands might be a better mention here or if you're refering specifically to priority, then Bisharp I would also include how its frailty and bad typing make it easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users such as Galarian Zapdos as well as Booster Energy Iron Moth. Pursuit is another seemingly useful option, with its ability to outpace the likes of Choice Specs Latios and Mega Latias working well in tandem with Mega Beedrill's ability to hit them super effectively. However, Mega Beedrill's complete inability to switch into these threats leaves it outclassed as a Pursuit trapper by Mega Tyranitar, which may not have Mega Beedrill's Speed but it does have tangible defensive utility and a much more threatening presence. Mega Aerodactyl is also really valuable as a trapper and outclasses Beedrill as a fast pursuiter It's also worth noting that Mega Beedrill doesn't even do that much with Pursuit as it doesn't have STAB on it, making it a very unreliable trapper. In any case most of the time you would just want to just U-turn on Lati@s anyway. You don't really need to mention this since its still valuable chip vs them anyways since Latias is for sure not staying in on a U-turn, so its beneficial to click suit for teammates such as Keldeo or Iron Hands to break easier For teammates, entry hazard removers like Iron Treads and Salamence Tapu Fini is prob a better mention here over Mence since it can prevent Beedrill from being burned while also taking care of checks such as Hippowdon and Buzzwole are mandatory. Special attackers that can remove or chip physical walls, such as Iron Moth and Thundurus-T, are necessary to let Mega Beedrill have any hope of threatening the opposing team. Magnezone is notable for its ability to trap and remove Skarmory and Celesteela. Entry hazards from setters like Orgerpon-C and Skarmory can chip Mega Beedrill's targets and help it actually KO its targets. I personally would not use Ogrepon-C as a setter since I feel that's wasting its offensive potential. I would probably mention more along the lines of Excadrill, Iron Treads, and Clefable for entry hazard setters. Ogerpon is fine as a hazard setter thanks to its ability to pressure opposing setters such as Hippowdon or MTtar while also not being a pushover into mons such as Iron Moth or Enamorus. However Overall, Mega Beedrill is an offensive threat that loses to most foes and a pivot that requires excessive amounts of support to switch in function properly, and thus you should never use it if your goal is to win. I feel like "never" is a bit too strong of a word but maybe that's just me. MBeedrill is admittedly very bad. I would probably say more along the lines of "and thus it is largely unviable in the tier." "and thus far too difficult to apply to standard teams to be considered viable" seems like better wording but the original was fine as is tbh.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

There's a shit ton of comments since I was also critiquing Nizmo's check in the process but 1/1 when implemented

red fintans

fintan is actually blue
is a Contributor to Smogon
1/1 GP Team done

add remove comment (AC/RC add/remove comma, AP/RP add/remove period, AH/RH add/remove hyphen, AS/RS add/remove semicolon)
SET]
Jolly Nature
-(add space)U-turn
-(add space)Poison Jab
-(add space)Drill Run / Pursuit
-(add space)Knock Off / Pursuit

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite Mega Beedrill initially seeming like a good Pokemon thanks to its exceptional Attack and Speed stats, good or similar adjective, just didnt want to put too many positive adjectives cos uhh this is mbee ability in Adaptability, and access to U-turn, it is completely unviable. While U-turn can grab momentum against foes such as Latios and Serperior, and Poison Jab has some utility in targeting Fairy-types like Clefable, Bug and Poison is an atrocious STAB combination that has no way to break through common defensive specify Pokemon like Hippowdon and Buzzwole, and it notably struggles to even touch Steel-types. Skarmory and Celesteela stonewall Mega Beedrill, and while other Steel-types dislike Drill Run and Knock Off, virtually every Steel-type, from Iron Treads to Excadrill, can usually beat usually Mega Beedrill one-on-one. As a pivot, Mega Beedrill suffers massively due to its Stealth Rock weakness and inability to hold Heavy-Duty Boots, which makes it very over-(AH)reliant on hazard control, (AC) or else it'd be worn down rapidly. Mega Beedrill's paltry defensive stats and poor defensive too much "defensive" repetition, removed the only one i could typing give it practically no defensive utility, rendering it extremely vulnerable to Choice Scarf users such as Galarian Zapdos and priority moves specify because 7 words ago it was pokemon and not moves like Scizor's Bullet Punch and Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Pursuit is another seemingly useful option, with its ability to outpace the likes of Choice Specs Latios and Mega Latias working well in tandem with Mega Beedrill's ability to hit them super effectively. However, Mega Beedrill's is outclassed as a Pursuit trapper by Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Tyranitar, both of which have a much better offensive and defensive presence thanks to their better typings. For teammates, entry hazard removers like Iron Treads and Tapu Fini are mandatory. Special attackers that can remove or chip physical walls, such as Iron Moth and Thundurus-T, are necessary to let Mega Beedrill have any hope of threatening the opposing team. Magnezone is notable for its ability to trap and remove Skarmory and Celesteela. Entry hazards from setters like Ting-Lu and Skarmory can chip Mega Beedrill's targets and help it actually KO its targets. Overall, Mega Beedrill is an offensive threat that loses to most foes and requires excessive amounts of support to function properly, (RC) ; (AS) and thus, (AC) it is far too difficult to apply to standard teams to be considered viable. split up this last sentence because its a little long

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
me :P
edit: added spaces to set moves

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)