Kyurem's stall

Kyurem's stall

A RMT by Alexander

Introduction:

Hi everybody, Alexander is here; today I want to ask for this RMT. When I built this team I wanted to use Kyurem with a particular set so I tried hone claws kyurem and it I noticed it works well.

I thought that hone claws kyurem is an ideal pokèmon in a stall team: I sided it with Jirachi, Skarmory, Jellicent and Tentacruel as the defensive core; Skarmory gives me spikes, Jirachi gives me stealth rocks and it's a great counter of tornadus-t; tentacruel gives me the spin
and jellicent gives me an antispinner.

Then I was really weak to sun teams: I needed a revengekiller so I chose choice scarf Politoed (boosting tentacruel, skarmory and jirachi with its rain). Enjoy it!

The Team

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Encore

Politoed gives me the rain and it's a solid revengekiller of lot of stuff, like DDNite for example. I prefer Surf because Hydro Pump often fails and I can't afford a miss against SDTerrakion. Encore and perish song are very useful against setuppers in general.

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Do I have to explain it? It's standard. Skarmory sets spikes and blocks all dragon types which can be a problem for Kyurem. Whirlwind blocks setuppers in combination with Politoed's encore.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Iron Head

I love this pokemon. It gives me stealth rock, useful against Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, Volcarona and sun teams in general... It's also a good counter for Tornadus-T and Latios. Wish recovers himself or a teammate.

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Kyurem needs to come in with no entry hazards: I found the spinner I needed in Tentacruel. Adding to the spin, it provides toxic spikes, and it's a decent counter for all fire types. Tentacruel is standard too.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 36 Def / 176 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Recover

I now have Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes; what lacks now is an antispinner, and Jellicent is a great pokemon.
It can be also very boring
with taunt and Will-O-Wisp against other stall teams. Shadow ball is there mainly as a precious gift for Starmie.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SDef / 236 Spd
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Hone Claws

Finally, the star of the team: yeah, this is a very strong pokemon paired with toxic spikes and entry hazards on the other side of the field. It can also check decently Thundurus-T and, Genesect and blocks easily other electric types that were a serious problem for the team.

And that's all. I used a lot this team with good results (approx 1598 on pokemon online server or top10 on showdown with some alts). Thanks for reading.

Export To Test:

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SDef / 236 Spd
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Hone Claws

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 36 Def / 176 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Recover

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Iron Head

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Encore

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I saw you post that Kyurem set in The creative movesets thread and I have to say it is honestly incredible :] Really amazing team. My main concern for this team is the redundancy of Tentacruel and Jellicent. I realize Tenta is the spinner / Tspikes user so Kyurem can stall out stuff, but I believe a better spin blocker could be used over Jellicent since it really is a waste of a slot. If you need a spin blocker, I'd love to recommend SubSplit Gengar which is truly amazing with Toxic spikes support, being able to weaken things down just like Kyurem with T-spikes support being able to stall them out and get heavy hits.

I hope my suggestion helped

Good Luck :)

Agreeing with sayonara/expert physics for the most part. Reuniclus is walled by jirachi though so I don't get his point there. I think using gastrodon over Jellicent would e worthwhile. It does remove your main keldeo switch in, but keldeo isn't that common, toed can encore it also. Gastrodon walls CM jirachi (who rapes your current team) and rotom-w, unless it carries the rare HP grass. I also recommend using a subtoxic tentacruel to help deal with opposing stall. It can break walls quickly and with most teams carrying multiple steel types and or levitators, toxic spikes are not great. Toxic also allows you to beat gastrodon with ease if necessary.

Changes
Gastrodon>Jellicent
subToxic tentacruel>Toxic spikes tentacruel

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nice team, I used a similar team when BW2 was just introduced. Roost, Pressure, and Kyurem's defenses are amazing :].

One thing I noticed about your team is its glaring weakness to electric attacks. With 4 pokemon weak to it and 2 shaky answers to special attackers (Kyurem has to healthy late game and its vulnerable to rocks), Rotom-W, Thundurus-T, CM Jirachi and other electric pokemon are gonna be troubling.

I would suggest replacing your Jellicent with a CM Roar Latias. It handles both sun and rain teams extremely well with its excellent typing and speed alone. Roar combined with Latias speed is simply amazing. You essentially prevent yourself from being phazed out as there is no pokemon that runs enough speed to phaze you out with a move. Roar is just another answer to set up pokemon and you deal hazard damage everytime you do Roar. Latias gives you a solid answer to CM Jirachi with Psyshock, CM Keldeo, Reuniclus, and a plethora of other special threats.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

Lastly, a spread of 252 HP / 120 SDef / 136 Spd [Jolly Nature] on Kyurem is more efficient than your current one.

Great team man!

I saw you post that Kyurem set in The creative movesets thread and I have to say it is honestly incredible :] Really amazing team. My main concern for this team is the redundancy of Tentacruel and Jellicent. I realize Tenta is the spinner / Tspikes user so Kyurem can stall out stuff, but I believe a better spin blocker could be used over Jellicent since it really is a waste of a slot. If you need a spin blocker, I'd love to recommend SubSplit Gengar which is truly amazing with Toxic spikes support, being able to weaken things down just like Kyurem with T-spikes support being able to stall them out and get heavy hits.

I hope my suggestion helped

Good Luck :)
Thanks, I will try subsplit gengar, seems a good idea.

Hey,

Cool team, A L E X A N D E R! I find that Rotom-W can cause this team problem, as it can use Volt Switch / Thunder to beat Politoed, Skarmory, Jellicent and Tentacruel, while severely denting Jirachi with a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump. To be honest, using Tentacruel and Jellicent on the same team is rather redundant, as ThunderBlunder mentioned. I also find Gastrodon to be a huge pain, as it walls the majority of your team and isn't weak to any attack your team utilizes. To help deal with Rotom-W and Gastrodon, I'd replace Jellicent with a Specially Defensive Celebi. A set consisting of Giga Drain / Hidden Power Ice / Recover / Perish Song would be fine, along with an EV spread of 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe, with a Calm Nature and Leftovers, of course. Celebi helps your team sponge status, as Natural Cure gets rid of its status upon switching-out. This set acts as a specially defensive tank, allowing your team to beat Reuniclus, Rotom-W and Gastrodon. A STAB Giga Drain gets rid of the latter with ease, while allowing Celebi to gain back some health. Hidden Power Ice is useful to help deal with Dragonite, Landorus and Gliscor, while Recover keeps Celebi in good shape through-out the match. Finally, Perish Song helps you deal with opposing set-ups like Calm Mind Latias and Reuniclus, while allowing you to trap an enemy trying to go for a late-game sweep. I don't have much else to add - cool team, and good luck! Hope I helped.
Thanks Sayonara but call me simply "Alexander" please. Then, I'm agree with you, Rotom-W can be a problem for my team. In fact, he can beat Politoed, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Skarmory, Jirachi and can burn my kyurem with Will-O-Wisp, so I will try Celebi. Gastrodon honestly isn't a big problem, I have the toxic spikes and kyurem can setup on it.

Agreeing with sayonara/expert physics for the most part. Reuniclus is walled by jirachi though so I don't get his point there. I think using gastrodon over Jellicent would e worthwhile. It does remove your main keldeo switch in, but keldeo isn't that common, toed can encore it also. Gastrodon walls CM jirachi (who rapes your current team) and rotom-w, unless it carries the rare HP grass. I also recommend using a subtoxic tentacruel to help deal with opposing stall. It can break walls quickly and with most teams carrying multiple steel types and or levitators, toxic spikes are not great. Toxic also allows you to beat gastrodon with ease if necessary.

Changes
Gastrodon>Jellicent
subToxic tentacruel>Toxic spikes tentacruel
I will try your advice, thanks! For SubCMRachi, I use encore with Politoed when it use calm mind / substitute and I phaze it after with skarmory's whirlwind. But Gastrodon is a better solution of course.

Nice team, I used a similar team when BW2 was just introduced. Roost, Pressure, and Kyurem's defenses are amazing :].

One thing I noticed about your team is its glaring weakness to electric attacks. With 4 pokemon weak to it and 2 shaky answers to special attackers (Kyurem has to healthy late game and its vulnerable to rocks), Rotom-W, Thundurus-T, CM Jirachi and other electric pokemon are gonna be troubling.

I would suggest replacing your Jellicent with a CM Roar Latias. It handles both sun and rain teams extremely well with its excellent typing and speed alone. Roar combined with Latias speed is simply amazing. You essentially prevent yourself from being phazed out as there is no pokemon that runs enough speed to phaze you out with a move. Roar is just another answer to set up pokemon and you deal hazard damage everytime you do Roar. Latias gives you a solid answer to CM Jirachi with Psyshock, CM Keldeo, Reuniclus, and a plethora of other special threats.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

Lastly, a spread of 252 HP / 120 SDef / 136 Spd [Jolly Nature] on Kyurem is more efficient than your current one.

Great team man!
Thanks for your rate man, I used a lot this latias in my past stall and it's a great pokemon so I will try it also here. Your evs spread is interesting but 248 hp reduces damage of stealth rock, if I can't spin it. I like the rest however.

hey, i dont like that kyurem set at all. i dont see the point of hone claws+dtail: i think that a set with ice beam+epower is a way better here. if u want dtail to phaze things u should try some other moves like toxic instead of hone claws. also i dont see why u have shed shell o skarmory if u dont have any safe switch in to magnezone, also jellicent just moltiplicate your weaknesses to eletric so i suggest you to use gastrodon instead of jellicent.

hey, i dont like that kyurem set at all. i dont see the point of hone claws+dtail: i think that a set with ice beam+epower is a way better here. if u want dtail to phaze things u should try some other moves like toxic instead of hone claws. also i dont see why u have shed shell o skarmory if u dont have any safe switch in to magnezone, also jellicent just moltiplicate your weaknesses to eletric so i suggest you to use gastrodon instead of jellicent.
Dragon tail is amazing with toxic spikes (and entry hazards in general). Hone claws is replaceable of ice beam or earth power I guess.

I'm not agree on the part of the toxic spikes, in many cases it are usefull.Toxic spikes hits the weather setter and this is enough for me. (It doesn't hit only weather setter however lol)
However, I'm trying toxic on tentacruel, as advised by asterat.

Hey Alexander, nice team; I'm trying it on the ladder and liking it so far :P

Hone Claws really does seem pointless on Kyurem; one of its biggest draws over Dragonite is that it can hurt Ferrothorn with ice beam. You really should change, as its still strong enough even with the -SpA nature. (Changing to Calm is another idea.)

Jellicent really looks pointless to me, as the team keeps rapid spins away well enough already and things like Keldeo, CMrachi, and Thundurus-t look painful. You really should switch to either Specially Defensive PSong Celebi or CMRoar Latias; both do a good job of beating all 3.

Finally, change Jirachi's Body slam to Thunder. I understand the utility of paralyzing grounds, but I've found myself wanting Thunder's utility against bulky waters and Gyarados far more than I care to admit. Also, change Kyurem's EV spread; your current one is inefficient.

GL with the team!

Hey Alexander, nice team; I'm trying it on the ladder and liking it so far :P

Hone Claws really does seem pointless on Kyurem; one of its biggest draws over Dragonite is that it can hurt Ferrothorn with ice beam. You really should change, as its still strong enough even with the -SpA nature. (Changing to Calm is another idea.)

Jellicent really looks pointless to me, as the team keeps rapid spins away well enough already and things like Keldeo, CMrachi, and Thundurus-t look painful. You really should switch to either Specially Defensive PSong Celebi or CMRoar Latias; both do a good job of beating all 3.

Finally, change Jirachi's Body slam to Thunder. I understand the utility of paralyzing grounds, but I've found myself wanting Thunder's utility against bulky waters and Gyarados far more than I care to admit. Also, change Kyurem's EV spread; your current one is inefficient.

GL with the team!
Thanks! I trying already CMRoar with good results but I must still try perish song Celebi. I use body slam mainly for Thundurus-T but yeah thunder is a good idea I think.

I'm satisfied with my kyurem's evs spread, but if you have a evs spread better, post it here.

I believe he refers to the fact you're using only 24 SDef EVs with a +SDef nature, and he's right, it's inefficient. If you go with Ice Beam, a Timid nature with 248 HP / 124 SDef / 136 Spd would make you 1 point faster (4 less EVs puts you at 284, I'm assuming you don't want to tie with base 80 positives), and 3 points bulkier.

I believe he refers to the fact you're using only 24 SDef EVs with a +SDef nature, and he's right, it's inefficient. If you go with Ice Beam, a Timid nature with 248 HP / 124 SDef / 136 Spd would make you 1 point faster (4 less EVs puts you at 284, I'm assuming you don't want to tie with base 80 positives), and 3 points bulkier.
I will try your evs spread, thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)