Pokémon Komala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vague

Banned deucer.

Name: Komala
Type: Normal
Pokedex: #775
Ability: Comatose: The Pokemon is in a perpetual state of drowsing. It is not affected by status ailments except Sleep.
Stats: 65 / 115 / 65 / 75 / 95 / 65
Level-up Movepool
Lv. 1| Defense Curl
Lv. 1| Rollout
Lv. 6| Stockpile
Lv. 6| Spit Up
Lv. 6| Swallow
Lv. 11| Rapid Spin
Lv. 16| Yawn
Lv. 21| Slam
Lv. 26| Flail
Lv. 31| Sucker Punch
Lv. 36| Psych Up
Lv. 43| Wood Hammer
Lv. 46| Thrash

TM Compatibility
TM01| Work Up
TM04| Calm Mind
TM06| Toxic
TM08| Bulk Up
TM10| Hidden Power
TM11| Sunny Day
TM17| Protect
TM21| Frustration
TM26| Earthquake
TM27| Return
TM31| Brick Break
TM32| Double Team
TM42| Facade
TM45| Attract
TM47| Low Sweep
TM48| Round
TM60| Quash
TM62| Acrobatics
TM65| Shadow Claw
TM66| Payback
TM75| Swords Dance
TM77| Psych Up
TM78| Bulldoze
TM80| Rock Slide
TM87| Swagger
TM88| Sleep Talk
TM89| U-turn
TM90| Substitute
TM100| Confide

Egg Moves
Wish
Play Rough
Charm
Sing

Komala is a rather unorthodox Pokemon with a very interesting ability in Comastose. However, it has a rather small amount of versatility which confines it to a decent Bulk Up set or a utility set with support options in Wish and Rapid Spin which U-turn to boot.

Potential Sets
Komala @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch
- Wish

This sets focuses on using Komala as a bulky sweeper due to its access to Bulk Up. A specially defensive spread is used as Bulk Up increases Defense as well as Attack. Return is a relatively powerful STAB. Shadow Claw allows Komala to hit Ghost-types which are immune to Return. Sucker Punch is another option that mitigates its poor Speed while still hitting Ghosts at the expense of PP and reliability. Wish is Komala's only source of recovery that gives it much needed longevity aside from Leftovers.

Komala @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

This set utilizes Komala as a modestly bulky support Pokemon with access to Rapid Spin and Wish. Rapid Spin removes hazards on your side of the field and Wish provides longevity as well as a source of recovery for the entire team. Protect guarantees Komala can heal itself with Wish and Toxic is used to make up for its lack of offensive presence.

Conclusion
Komala doesn't show a lot of promise as an OU threat despite an excellent ability due to its mediocre stats and shallow movepool. It's a prime example of a Pokemon that lacks the extra "oomph" to make it a solid choice.

This guy is surprisingly decent, has Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Earthquake and then Return for regular STAB - and you can do all this without worrying about burns or paralysis. Though as you say he lacks any sort of "oomph" to really justify him. As a tanky staller he has a generic Wish and Toxic set up, offensively he's not really blowing anything up. Being immune to status does catch people out, but in the same gen as Minior it's not too special.

That said he's really not that bad in the current meta, he's a great switch in on Toxapex, can Sucker Punch a Pheromosa to usually get the kill, but yeah he is very easily replaced.

Also for some reason I cannot fathom, this Pokemon doesn't learn Snore. Gamefreak, for real?

Why does this thing have a higher attack stat than Kommo-o?

Anyway, I think that Komala will mostly be used as a rapid spinner since it can deal decent damage to most spin blockers with either shadow clas or sucker punch. It's also immune to wisp and ghost moves in general.

Is a gimmcky Banded Sleep Talk/three other offensive moves moveset worth in any tier? Or i should lose and lose again with my Full Komala team in AG to have fun with that?

Don't underestimate this thing. The bulk-up set with Return/Earthquake can run through a lot of teams that lack levitating ghosts or Celesteela/Skarmory, and it easily sets up on stall mons like Toxapex and Chansey/Blissey. I'm loving the little guy.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Komala @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch

This is the set I have been using as a spinner and it does its job. Able to sponge weak scalds/sludge bombs/discharges and spin repeatedly on the majority of passive special attackers. An adamant nature and max attack evs make sure that this isn't a passive hazard remover at all. Assault vest with max SpD evs give it a good amount of bulk to work with on the special side allowing it to take advantage of passive walls that spam attacks with secondary effects. Being a semi-bulky spinner with good attack, good coverage, priority, pivoting(U-Turn), and status immunity makes this a really unique mon.

Komala @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Return
- Sucker Punch

I've been using this set thinking its good and it has been good. Bulk up on this thing is the way to go for being a sweeper since this thing is fragile and it learns sd, but that not the way to go cause it can easily OHKO'ed by any move. It's ability is really nice because you can get statused but it goes away sort of like natural cure. This think has a poor move pool so I decided to run earthquake because it can hit stuff like gengar since it lost it's ability levitate giving cursed body over levitate.Then I decided to run return because it is its good normal stab and with bulk being at plus 2 or 3 it can sweep some teams so be prepared. Then, I've decided to run Sucker punch cause it is it's good priority with sucker being nerfed but with it being at plus 1 and sucker punch will do some damage.Overall this mon might seem like ru or nu material at most. Don't underestimate this little fella he might 6-0 your team.

Last edited:
Komala @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch

This is the set I have been using as a spinner and it does its job. Able to sponge weak scalds/sludge bombs/discharges and spin repeatedly on the majority of passive special attackers. An adamant nature and max attack evs make sure that this isn't a passive hazard remover at all. Assault vest with max SpD evs give it a good amount of bulk to work with on the special side allowing it to take advantage of passive walls that spam attacks with secondary effects. Being a semi-bulky spinner with good attack, good coverage, priority, pivoting(U-Turn), and status immunity makes this a really unique mon.
This is the set I have been running with, and was glad I wasn't the only one who went with it. I actually replace Rapid Spin with U-Turn for Battle Spot or such, where I know Stealth Rocks or other Hazards won't be a problem. It helps as a slow pivot.

However, I've been experimenting with 252 HP over 252 SpD, as it helps give a little extra bulk against physical threats. It turns a Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch from a OHKO into a 81% chance to OHKO (after SR, or a 2HKO without SR), for example.

This is a set I've been playing out with and I am enjoying it:
Komala @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Slam
- Toxic
- Earthquake / Wood Hammer
- Acrobatics

Toxic is really useful, and Slam, in my eyes, deals more damage than Rapid Spin. Earthquake literally sweeps quite a few Pokémon and Acrobatics deals with Fighting-types with ease. Wood Hammer is also good, but then you have to deal with the excessive recoil.

Komala @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Slam
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Toxic is really useful, and Slam, in my eyes, deals more damage than Rapid Spin. Earthquake literally sweeps quite a few Pokémon and Acrobatics deals with Fighting-types with ease.
U know Acrobatics does more damage with out a item? You should run play rough isntead of acrobatics, to deal with fighting types. Also slam isnt a good move on komala run rapid spin over that move to get rid of hazards.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Komala @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Slam
- Toxic
- Acrobatics

Toxic is really useful, and Slam, in my eyes, deals more damage than Rapid Spin. Earthquake literally sweeps quite a few Pokémon and Acrobatics deals with Fighting-types with ease. Wood Hammer is also good, but then you have to deal with the excessive recoil.
1) Rapid Spin isn't used for damage. It supports the team.
2) Why Slam over Return, which hits harder and is more accurate?

Komala @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Slam
- Toxic
- Acrobatics

Also what u said that acro deals with fighting types most of them outspeed komala or have priortylike mach punch or vacuum wave which can OHKO komala

Okay, this is literally my first post on this forum.. But the conversation about Komala made me wanna start posting on here, haha..

Anyways, I'm running:

Komala @ Leftovers
EVs: HP/Def/Sp.Def = 170
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up
- Wish

I'm new to the net battle scene, so allow me to explain my set. I'm not trying to run a standalone sweeper here. He's more of my team's Monk. With No Attack EVs invested, this set requires Bulk Up to assert NiGHTS's (My Komala's Nickname) offensive presence, as well as capitalize on the little bulk he has. Wood Hammer is my primary attack of choice with a magnificent Base PowerLEVEL of a MOLLYWHOPPING 120 DAMAGE DOLLARS to clear out any Water, Ground, or Rock types my opponent has lurking around in their party so my Fire types can come out to play without fear. Wish to stay in the game, and Sucker Punch to fell any weakened threats. Does it work every time? No. But Komala's presence on my team gives me a fighting chance against a bunch of different situations.
I don't know too much about tiers, nor do I care, I just know that this Pokemon can help a lot when used right. I usually lead with him because honestly nobody looks at this little guy and thinks "threat" and will automatically switch in to a check or try to fell it without setting up.

I'm surprised no one is running this guy with Wish+U-Turn combo. It's not super fast so it'll likely leave second with U-Turn and heal up whatever you want. I was thinking something like this:

Komala @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP (Not sure about the rest)
Careful Nature (Not sure here either)
- Rapid Spin / Yawn (Rapid if you hate hazards, Yawn to force switches you can U-Turn off of)
- Sucker Punch (surprise kills) / Earthquake (for Toxipex maybe)/Return (for most damage possible)
- U-Turn
- Wish

Still playing around with this idea, so if anyone has input that would be cool. Basically it's main purpose is to be a nuisance to walls as it eats up most forms of statuses and then just switches out to keep you with the upper hand

Or maybe something with more set up since it can't be statused:

Komala @ Sitrus Berry / Normalium Z
EVs: 252 HP 252 Atk 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stockpile
- Acrobatics / Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Wish

I prefer the Sitrus + Acrobatics combo because you get more bang for your buck than the other 0 immunity moves. There's also the Normalium Z if you'd prefer to have the stockpile full heal but since Z-Crystals don't go away you'll need to drop acrobatics for Play rough for the next highest BP move. I rejected Wood Hammer because the recoil damage is too detrimental.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one is running this guy with Wish+U-Turn combo. It's not super fast so it'll likely leave second with U-Turn and heal up whatever you want. I was thinking something like this:

Komala @ Leftovers
- Rapid Spin / Yawn (Rapid if you hate hazards, Yawn to force switches you can U-Turn off of)
- Sucker Punch (surprise kills) / Earthquake (for Toxipex maybe)
- U-Turn
- Wish

Still playing around with this idea, so if anyone has input that would be cool. Basically it's main purpose is to be a nuisance to walls as it eats up most forms of statuses and then just switches out to keep you with the upper hand

Adamant Nature
- Stockpile
- Swords Dance
- Wish

I prefer the Sitrus + Acrobatics combo because you get more bang for your buck than the other 0 immunity moves. There's also the Normalium Z if you'd prefer to have the stockpile full heal but since Z-Crystals don't go away you'll need to drop acrobatics for Play rough for the next highest BP move. I rejected Wood Hammer because the recoil damage is too detrimental.
I really like this idea. U-Turners are fun for this very reason. Don't know why I never thought to do this. The Stockpile build is very useful as well. I may try to combine your builds into one . Run with my Across The Board 170 invested EVs, moves as followed: Stockpile, Wish, U-Turn, and Earthquake. Another set with no STAB, but I do like the functionality. Or give him a Kieba Berry and run that with Stockpile & Acrobatics, perhaps? This little guy serves as a special kind of stallbreaker.

Okay, this is literally my first post on this forum.. But the conversation about Komala made me wanna start posting on here, haha..

Anyways, I'm running:

Komala @ Leftovers
EVs: HP/Def/Sp.Def = 170
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up
- Wish

I'm new to the net battle scene, so allow me to explain my set. I'm not trying to run a standalone sweeper here. He's more of my team's Monk. With No Attack EVs invested, this set requires Bulk Up to assert NiGHTS's (My Komala's Nickname) offensive presence, as well as capitalize on the little bulk he has. Wood Hammer is my primary attack of choice with a magnificent Base PowerLEVEL of a MOLLYWHOPPING 120 DAMAGE DOLLARS to clear out any Water, Ground, or Rock types my opponent has lurking around in their party so my Fire types can come out to play without fear. Wish to stay in the game, and Sucker Punch to fell any weakened threats. Does it work every time? No. But Komala's presence on my team gives me a fighting chance against a bunch of different situations.
I don't know too much about tiers, nor do I care, I just know that this Pokemon can help a lot when used right. I usually lead with him because honestly nobody looks at this little guy and thinks "threat" and will automatically switch in to a check or try to fell it without setting up.

Wood hammer isn't good for some reasons, like recoil it does 33% having a base 67 HP isn't all that great to use that set. Also I don't see a reason to run wish on an sd set that makes no sense.

Wood hammer isn't good for some reasons, like recoil it does 33% having a base 67 HP isn't all that great to use that set.
This moveset was created with intentions to pick off certain threats. In no way is it meant to fit your specific play style.

Also I don't see a reason to run wish on an sd set that makes no sense.
Wish is meant for longevity. It's either that or Sucker Punch for a little extra damage in a tight spot. Both moves are situational, as is everything else in the world.

I really like this idea. U-Turners are fun for this very reason. Don't know why I never thought to do this. The Stockpile build is very useful as well. I may try to combine your builds into one . Run with my Across The Board 170 invested EVs, moves as followed: Stockpile, Wish, U-Turn, and Earthquake. Another set with no STAB, but I do like the functionality. Or give him a Kieba Berry and run that with Stockpile & Acrobatics, perhaps? This little guy serves as a special kind of stallbreaker.
Main reason I don't put stockpile and U-turn on the same set is because you lose the stockpiles if you U-Turn so it's counter-productive. On a side note, I'd also bring something that can hit flying to cover for EQ's inability to hit them (Or drop it for Return since it has higher BP, I'll slash that in too now that I think of it). I personally wouldn't mix the sets because the moves don't synergize with each other.

Also which berry are you suggesting? I see Kebia Berry (aka ghost SE hit reducer) which wouldn't work because Komala is immune to ghost type. Either way though, I went with Sitrus because you basically get a free turn to throw up another stockpile without having to worry about health as much.

Komala @ Leftovers
- Sucker Punch (surprise kills) / Earthquake (for Toxipex maybe)/Return (for most damage possible)
- U-Turn
- Wish

Adamant Nature
- Stockpile
- Swords Dance
- Wish

I saw someone (pretty sure Pokeaim) using a 248 HP/176 SDef spread for the Wish+U turn set. Don't know what the spread specifically had in mind, but I did find this:
252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 176+ SpD Komala: 145-172 (43.5 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 214-254 (69.7 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I saw someone (pretty sure Pokeaim) using a 248 HP/176 SDef spread for the Wish+U turn set. Don't know what the spread specifically had in mind, but I did find this:
252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 176+ SpD Komala: 145-172 (43.5 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 214-254 (69.7 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Any idea where the other 80 EV's would go? I'd assume Atk or Def but I'm not sure if damage or tankiness would be more optimal here.

I saw someone trying this OU tonight, and frankly it has no place. Someone tried a Wish pass (which I think any pokemon with Wish should be be capable of doing a good job of if they want to be competitive, especially if that's their only recovery option) and it obviously passes crap all HP as its base HP is garbage.

The faster people reaffirm this should be in a lower tier the faster weird outlier, the happier everyone will be. I was seeing it way higher ladder than anyone reasonably should.

I mean, of course continue to try and OU it if you want to, but there's fundamentally not really a niche without a precise non-standard support team.

Any idea where the other 80 EV's would go? I'd assume Atk or Def but I'm not sure if damage or tankiness would be more optimal here.
I guess it depends on the rest of your team comp. Komala has pretty high base attack to begin with so putting the rest in Def wouldn't hurt, but if you want something with more of an offensive presence
Idk how much damage 84 EV's allow you to take/deal, someone else can do the calcs if they want (I've already done more in the past 2 days than I'm used to)

Edit: Something I found out earlier today
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Komala: 295-348 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 262-309 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(You only need 32 Def EV's to avoid the ohko, but it doesn't seem like more attack investment nets any significant ko's.)

The Evidence: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501615958
Another note from the replay, Comatose makes Komala a decent check(?) to Toxapex, as it can't Toxic or Scald-burn you. Not really sure why this person kept it in though...

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the rest of your team comp. Komala has pretty high base attack to begin with so putting the rest in Def wouldn't hurt, but if you want something with more of an offensive presence
Idk how much damage 84 EV's allow you to take/deal, someone else can do the calcs if they want (I've already done more in the past 2 days than I'm used to)

Edit: Something I found out earlier today
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Komala: 295-348 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 262-309 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(You only need 32 Def EV's to avoid the ohko, but it doesn't seem like more attack investment nets any significant ko's.)

The Evidence: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501615958
Another note from the replay, Comatose makes Komala a decent check(?) to Toxapex, as it can't Toxic or Scald-burn you. Not really sure why this person kept it in though...

That was a pretty sweet replay! Made an account just so I could ask, what kind of EV spread did you give to your Komala there? I'm breeding my own for Sun and Moon and I was gonna try 252 HP/176+ SpD, but I don't know whether to invest the rest in defense or try 32 Def and the rest in Atk

That was a pretty sweet replay! Made an account just so I could ask, what kind of EV spread did you give to your Komala there? I'm breeding my own for Sun and Moon and I was gonna try 252 HP/176+ SpD, but I don't know whether to invest the rest in defense or try 32 Def and the rest in Atk
I've been using an 84 Def set. I did a handful of calcs comparing it to a 52/32 split for anyone that's still curious.
0 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 150-178 (46.4 - 55.1%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO
52 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 158-186 (48.9 - 57.5%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO

16 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 276-325 (82.8 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Komala: 297-349 (89.1 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 152-179 (45.6 - 53.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Komala: 163-192 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
52 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 194-230 (69 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Komala: 289-341 (86.7 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 269-317 (80.7 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Splitting ~80 EV's between Attack and Def doesn't seem to get key KO's if any, while making it harder to take big physical hits. Bulk and utility matter more than damage for a Wish/Spin/U-turn set, so if you did want more damage you'd probably be better off going offensive.
So, an ideal Wish-turn set would look something like this...

Komala @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake/Return
- Wish
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

I've been using an 84 Def set. I did a handful of calcs comparing it to a 52/32 split for anyone that's still curious.
0 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 150-178 (46.4 - 55.1%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO
52 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 158-186 (48.9 - 57.5%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO

16 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 276-325 (82.8 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Komala: 297-349 (89.1 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 152-179 (45.6 - 53.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Komala: 163-192 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
52 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 194-230 (69 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Komala: 289-341 (86.7 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Komala: 269-317 (80.7 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Splitting ~80 EV's between Attack and Def doesn't seem to get key KO's if any, while making it harder to take big physical hits. Bulk and utility matter more than damage for a Wish/Spin/U-turn set, so if you did want more damage you'd probably be better off going offensive.
So, an ideal Wish-turn set would look something like this...

Komala @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake/Return
- Wish
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
That looks pretty great, I'm gonna try it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)