Pokémon Kingambit

This is an extremelly silly idea... but what about abusing Overlord with a Final Gambit team? Ive been trying it to mixed results with Ape, Veluza, Staraptor, Dragapult and Iron Valiant... but im sure the idea can be hella optimized.

This is an extremelly silly idea... but what about abusing Overlord with a Final Gambit team? Ive been trying it to mixed results with Ape, Veluza, Staraptor, Dragapult and Iron Valiant... but im sure the idea can be hella optimized.
Probably yeah. Overlord makes it insanely good in theory, I would have to test it out to make sure though.

doesnt it get hard walled by dark types like chi-yu , chien-pao , and ting-lu ?
ting-lu can easily take a brick break or a low kick with hp and def investments , while the other two outspeed kingabmit

doesnt it get hard walled by dark types like chi-yu , chien-pao , and ting-lu ?
ting-lu can easily take a brick break or a low kick with hp and def investments , while the other two outspeed kingabmit
ting lu is a real problem for basically every team right now, but its not too hard to get enough chip damage of chi yu and chien pao to get them in last man standing sucker punch range. Specially if you run a life orb, or get a right tera read (ghost on chien's sacred sword) and go for a different move or a swords dance.

The set I've been running that I've found the most success with:

Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Stealth Rocks also works over Swords Dance (and also a great pick because no one's ever going to switch their Hatterene into your Kingambit), and Life Orb/Leftovers are good alternatives to Black Glasses. Low kick also worth running if you wanna win Kingambit dittos lol.

Speed allows you to outspeed Corviknights, Skelidirges, and other slower mon. I've had some success with Iron Head flinching slower mons and then killing with the Cleave.

Flying Tera lets you beat Chien Paos and Great Tusks that want to step to you.

Last edited:
The set I've been running that I've found the most success with:

Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Stealth Rocks also works over Swords Dance, and Life Orb/Leftovers are good alternatives to Black Glasses. Low kick also worth running if you wanna win Kingambit dittos lol.

Speed allows you to outspeed Corviknights, Skelidirges, and other slower mon. I've had some success with Iron Head flinching slower mons and then killing with the Cleave.

Flying Tera lets you beat Chien Paos and Great Tusks that want to step to you.
My set is similar though I run assurance over kowtow cleave. There is a lot of overlap running essentially 2 80bp physical dark moves, assurance's 120 bp secures a lot of kills or puts more things into sucker punch range with essentially no drawback considering most of the meta already outspeeds you.

My set is similar though I run assurance over kowtow cleave. There is a lot of overlap running essentially 2 80bp physical dark moves, assurance's 120 bp secures a lot of kills or puts more things into sucker punch range with essentially no drawback considering most of the meta already outspeeds you.
I think you're a bit confused. Assurance doesn't do 120 unless the opponent has already taken damage that turn, it's mostly a doubles move. In singles its only utility is hitting someone that just switched into hazard damage. The move you're thinking of is Payback, which does 100 damage if you move second, but Kingambit doesn't have access to that at the moment.

Also, Sucker Punch only does 70 damage now and isn't 100% reliable since the opponent has to attack first. Kowtow Cleave does 85 damage and its actually worth it for many matchups (like Skeledirge and Corviknight) for Kingambit to move first, hence the speed investment.

I haven't tried this, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt, but it feels like it isn't worth it since the relative power boost Kingambit is getting isn't that high. Under optimal circumstances, Supreme Overlord is giving Kingambit at best a Choice Band boost. Now, a Choice Band boost on a Pokemon with 135 Base Attack is pretty nice, but Kingambit's STAB moves have middling base power and its low speed will make it hard to get the attack off first, so it isn't a guarentee that it will drop everything in one hit. I could see it winning games here and there at the last position, but it likely won't be able to reverse 6-0 the opponent as well as Houndstone was able to (and IMO Houndstone was inconsistent at best when trying to reverse 6-0). I think Supreme Overlord is best viewed as a bonus that can also be relied on here and there in certain positions to get crucial additional damage vs certain targets.

That being said, if the Final Gambit Pokemon is able to get the consistent 1v1 trade, I could see having one Final Gambit Pokemon as a teammate for Kingambit be a good strategy. I think Choice Scarf Final Gambit Anihilape on its own could be good to emergency check something, so its probably a good teammate. Something else like Suicide Lead Glimmora also feels like a good natural teammate for Kingambit since it can setup entry hazards as a lead w/ tempo + bait some of Kingambits checks like Great Tusk and deal big damage w/ Energy ball.

I've seen Blunder running this set a lot on his streams lately

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 180 SpD / 20 Spe

Does anyone know what this spread accomplishes, though
Kingambit with 20 Spe EV neutral nature hits 140. Mons with 139 speed would be 252 EV neutral nature base 20s (clod, torkoal, greedent), 0 EV neutral nature base 86s at -1 (rotom forms and glimmora), and 252 EV neutral nature base 55s at -1 (Ampharos, Ursaring, Blissey, Swalot, Cacturne, Dudunsparce, and Brute Bonnet)

Overall, maybe it's not that useful.

Last edited:
Kingambit is significantly better than I initially thought. If you play your cards right Supreme Overlord turns into in a straight up behemoth. It hits like a tank and can easily take a few hits. The ground and fighting weaknesses hurt but you can usually get around it with Teratyping. It also has extremely powerful priority with Sucker Punch and just outspeeds Ting-Lu.

What item are you guys finding the best success with?

I'm seeing a ton of lefties, and I get it, but I REALLY miss the power of Black Glasses/Orb. You really miss out on some crucial kills without it.

What item are you guys finding the best success with?

I'm seeing a ton of lefties, and I get it, but I REALLY miss the power of Black Glasses/Orb. You really miss out on some crucial kills without it.
Life Orb isn't a good item for Kinggambit as it cuts down on its good bulk. I like Weakness Policy or Black Glasses the most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)