Kids in a Sandbox. (Wifi team needs help!)

Kids in a Sandbox.

Hello Smogon,

This is the current team I use on my Pokemon Black cartridge and I was wondering if I could find some useful feedback to improve it. There's also a local tournament coming up and I will be using this team for it. It's a standard Sandstorm OU team using mostly standard sets. (unfortunately) I am an average player with little experience and I also have no access to Dream World Pokemon because I do not have a steady internet connection.

So here's the team, flame away.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sassy (+Sdef, -Spd)
252 HP / 60 Satk / 196 Sdef
Stealth Rock
Crunch
Fire Blast
Ice Beam

Tyranitar starts a permanent sandstorm everytime it switches into battle. It also serves as a strong special wall with high mixed attacking stats. Crunch is a powerful stab that hits shit hard while fire blast and ice beam allow me to kill annoying walls that give my team trouble, like ferrothorn and gliscor. Tyranitar is my stealth rock setter which is the most important hazard and prevents my opponent from switching freely. I am debating switching Ice Beam out for Rockslide because Volcarona is a pain in the ass and I need a steady check for it.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant (+Atk, -Satk)
248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Sdef
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Super Power
Pursuit

Scizor is too stupid sometimes and has rightfully earned its most-used tittle in the OU bracket as well as my team. I used to run a SD variant, but Volt-Turn is just too brainless and attractive to have on a team so I went with a CB set. Standard EVs and moves with points in Sdef so sponge Draco Meteors and hit back on choiced Latios with pursuit. U-turn with a choice band just hits shit fucking hard and allows me to keep momentum. Bullet punch is a STRONG stab 90 base power (with technician) priority move which allows me to scare away annoying dragons who act tough all the time. Super power is for pink blobs.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Modest (+Satk, -Atk)
252 Satk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Volt switch
Hydro Pump
Trick
Hidden Power Ice

Rotom is another very standard OU poke on my team that completes the Volt-Turn duo. Rotom and Scizor just hop around doing big damage and covering each others weaknesses pretty well. Rotom is a great revenge killer with a scarf (if only i was lucky enough to land hydro pumps). Trick is for tricky walls who love to stand in my way. and HP ice hits Dragonites, Gliscors, and Landorus really fucking hard. Volt switch keeps offensive momentum.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Careful (+Sdef, -Satk)
236 HP / 212 Sdef / 60 Spd
Spore
Bulk up
Drain Punch
Seed Bomb

Breloom is my favorite pokemon and I've always thought it had a cool design. It's lackluster speed still makes me sad face and it's less than stellar bulk leaves a lot to be desired, but this poke plays many roles on my team and because its my favorite it gets the spot over terrakion for my fighting poke. Breloom is one of the few pokemon to learn spore which is a 100% accuracy sleep move which knocks something out of the game for 1-3 turns, spore also allows breloom to deal with some of its checks and counters by being able to sleep them while they switch in. Bulk up is there to make breloom BULKY as fuck, after 1-2 bulk ups he doesnt even take that much physical damage and just gains all his HP back from poison heal and drain punch. Drain Punch and Seed bomb are dual stabbed moves with decent coverage, but gliscor just dumbs on me. Breloom is often the MVP if i can get it a good start and my opponent plays dumb sometimes 6-0'ing shit.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
252 Satk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Draco Meteor
Surf
Psyshock
Recover

Latios is just ridiculous being able to smash through things, not named blissfag, with ease and no setup. I run life orb because getting choice locked then pursuit killed it kinda lame, and once they see the life orb they think twice about switching their scizor in for fear of HP fire. Surf lets me hit shit weak to it hard and gets a boost against rain teams. Remember that stupid bliss thing i was talking about earlier, well thats what Psyshock is for doing around 48% to standard blisseys. Recover is nifty to heal when people switch out.

Landorus @ Leftovers
Jolly (+Atk, -Satk)
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Substitute
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Landorus is my late game sweeper and sandstorm abuser. Hitting incredibly hard without setting up as long as the sand is up this guy is stupid sometimes, but a little slow. Substitute is used to prevent statuses and allows me to comfortable set up a swords dance or to fire off powerful stab earthquakes or stone edges. Swords dance makes this truck hit like 2 trucks. and EQ and Stone Edge are stab. Im debating whether or not running a Scarf set, but catching a lando with HP ice is just...hard and ya.

So here's the team...tear it apart and help me make it a winner. Thanks all.

Ok so I just tried to post the exportable and I guess I cannot paste it becase im on a mac. SORRY =(

Hey. first off, I want to say you have a pretty good team here. I run almost the exact same one w/o Breloom and swapping latios for latias. I'm not sure how much I can help before seeing a threat list, but this is what I can tell from looking at it real quick.

It seems to me like HP Fire Celebi can rip through most of your team bar latios, who could be taken out by Ttar or Scizor's pursuit pretty easily. To fix that problem, try using the leftovers + 4 attacks lando shown in the Smog (When in doubt, U-turn out) team.
Landorus@leftovers
naive
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Smack Down
-Hidden Power Ice
252 att/4 spA/252 spe
A faster u-turner destroys celebi before it can do damage, and at the beginning of the game lefties can fake a choice item (before hit w/ damage).
Other than that, your team looks great.
Hope I helped

Hey. first off, I want to say you have a pretty good team here. I run almost the exact same one w/o Breloom and swapping latios for latias. I'm not sure how much I can help before seeing a threat list, but this is what I can tell from looking at it real quick.

It seems to me like HP Fire Celebi can rip through most of your team bar latios, who could be taken out by Ttar or Scizor's pursuit pretty easily. To fix that problem, try using the leftovers + 4 attacks lando shown in the Smog (When in doubt, U-turn out) team.
Landorus@leftovers
naive
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Smack Down
-Hidden Power Ice
252 att/4 spA/252 spe
A faster u-turner destroys celebi before it can do damage, and at the beginning of the game lefties can fake a choice item (before hit w/ damage).
Other than that, your team looks great.
Hope I helped
Hello thank you for taking the time to rate my team, hmm I don't think celebi has caused too many problems (unless it's the annoying t wave one) but I see how it could. I would love to be able to run a different Landorus set (I really want try smack down) but catching Landorus with good IVs and Hp ice is G_G. Also another note, I highly doubt there will be any celebis in the tournament I'll be joining because there's only a small pokemom community here.

If you're going to a local tournament, what are the rules? If it's based off of Smogon BW OU, then ignore this post... But if it's PO server rules, then Excadrill is an excellent choice over Scizor... The swords dance set seems to fit your team nicely to help you maintain offensive momentum, although it needs 1 turn to set up:
Excadrill@Air Balloon/Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)/Adamant (+Atk, - SpAtk) Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw/Rapid Spin
Because of its ability then its speed doubles in sandstorm, which allows it to outspeed everything that isn't scarfed. Swords dance gives it enough power to punch through any walls. Rapid spin is if you want to get rid of entry hazards, but shadow claw hits ghosts on an attempt to spin block. Air balloon is a useful item, as it stops you being murdered by EQ, but life orb gives it that extra damage boost, at the cost of survivability.

If excadrill's banned, however, i can't think of any ways to make this team better.

just a quick suggestion but i suggest use use expert belt on Latios as it allows you to bluff choice and then you can get a suprise ko on something. Also I suggest you change Rotom-W to a standard set without and Choice Scarf. This makes it harder to lose all your momentum for clicking Volt-Switch while they switch in a Gliscor and just sub up while your locked. Then you could just put a Scarf on Landorus and you will have an even better revenger killer that is caplable of revenging killing Volcarona who looks like it could be an asshole to this team with its stabs and sunlight.

Your team looks pretty good, but one of the major problems with weather teams is the opponent's weather. You do not need to totally re-make your team or anything, but I'd try to memorize the top 2 Ninetales / Politoed movesets so that when you come across them you can at least have a rough idea.

Ninetales / Sun Team looks pretty difficult,
If Tyrannitar goes down and Ninetales comes in

Weather -> Drought

Tyrannitar, your top special defender is out
Scizor won't switch in
Breloom will get killed as well

Your opponent will also likely have a Chlorophyll/ Solar Beamer as well
Rotom-W could go down

Latios is good, though I personall HP Fire > Psyshock (Depends on what you face)

Heatran

Heatran also seems a major problem to your team, though it will have trouble getting past Tyrannitar

It will also take no damage from sandstorm (Fire/ Steel Typing)

Suppose you face Heatran with
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ HP Ice
~ Stealth Rock / Toxic / Other

Scizor- 4x weak to fire blast
Breloom- 2x weak
Latios- 2x weak to Ice, though Heatran won't want to take Surfs
Landorous- 2x or 4x weak to Ice (can't remember if ground is weak to ice or not)

This Heatran would have problems with your remaining 2 pokemon ( TTar/ Rotom- W), but it will also have 5 of its own teamates

I recommened just reading its page and maybe change a coverage move on something, or be careful with Latios to hit it with Surfs

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man! Nice start of a team you have here.

First off, you seem a bit weak to most Dugtrio Sun teams, since they can easily trap and revenge kill Tyranitar without much trouble, and then proceed to ravage your team with Venusaur and other Sun sweepers. Speaking of sun, Quiver Dance Volcarona can easily set up on choice-locked Scizor and Rotom, as well as Breloom and Tyranitar, and it proceeds to outspeed and OHKO basically your entire team with minimal difficulty after a boost. In general, you're weak to a fair amount of strong stat boosters that either outspeed Rotom after a boost and can't be revenged by Scizor, or have priority and can break through Latios and Rotom.

Anyways, the best easy fixes for these problems would be to change your Landorus into a Choice Scarf variant, with U-Turn/Earthquake/StoneEdge/HiddenPower[Ice]. This let's you reliably revenge kill tons of stuff that currently sweeps through your entire team (such as Volcarona). I also suggest changing Scizor's EVs to 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD; Adamant since with your current set, you're not able to hurt mons such as Haxorus and Dragonite enough to really make an impact. I also personally think that you'd find it worth your while to use a more offensive EV spread on Breloom - if you go with my Scarf Landorus suggestion, you'll have a great core in Rotom/Scizor/Landorus, and a more offensively minded Breloom can better abuse the free turns that core gets you. Finally, I suggest using Superpower > Fire Blast on Tyranitar, since being able to hit Pokemon like Terrakion on the switch in is really helpful for your team.

Nice team, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)