SS OU Keldeo Balance (Peak 1400)

Introduction

Hey there again, Smogon. It has been a while since I uploaded a team for RMT. I have seen great success with this team, and I was able to climb out of the lower ladder, but not too long. That’s why I uploaded this team. I’m sure there were some tweaks that were necessary for this team. Without further ado, here is the team.

https://pokepast.es/b6f37076d41455b9

Keldeo

I decided to build around Keldeo because it was very fast and it can outspeed most threats in the metagame. I decided to build my own set with dual STAB, Taunt for handling those pesky status mons such as Toad, and finally, I added Calm Mind in order to tank hits from other Special Attackers, most especially the new Queen of the OverUsed Tier: Clefable. Leftovers was necessary for me so that Keldeo could recover a little bit of HP at the end of each turn.

Zeraora

I decided to add Zeraora to the team because Keldeo fails to break through against other Water-types. In particular, Pex resists Keldeo’s dual STAB moves, and can status back if not Taunted. Zeraora shuts down Toxapex, and in return, Keldeo can handle Ground-types such as Excadrill and Hippo. I added Bulk Up for my Zera to clean in the late-game. Plasma Fists is there for STAB, and it can handle Flying-types like Corviknight and Mandibuzz. Close Combat is here for coverage against non-Sash Drill. Knock Off is necessary against Aegislash and other GhostLeftovers is there for the same reason with Keldeo, as well as to make Zeraora more bulky.

Ferrothorn

I needed a Toad counter for this team. Scald cannot break through Toad, while Zeraora doesn’t have Grass Knot, leaving it open to Earth Power. Ferrothorn can set up Stealth Rock, and it can switch in to Toad to absorb Toxic. I decided to add Power Whip to OHKO Toad. Gyro Ball is here for those pesky Fairy-types that force Keldeo out like Clefable and Sylveon. Finally, Leech Seed just chips more damage from opponents switching in. I decided to add a Relaxed Nature and 0 IVs in Speed to power up Gyro Ball. Rocky Helmet punishes Physical Attackers like Bisharp by stacking up with Iron Barbs to chip even more damage.

Clefable

Keldeo fails to break through Dragon-types. When I saw that, I knew only one Pokémon could stop all of them: Clefable. It also acts as the support of the team, using Wish + Teleport to supply HP to weakened teammates. It is my Special Wall, which switches in to tank Special Attackers. Moonblast handles Dragon-types that would resist Keldeo and its STAB Scald. Most especially, it counters Dragapult, which is basically immune to Secret Sword as well. Finally, the last three moves is to almost guarantee a healthy teammate.

Mamoswine

I needed a revenge killer, but instead of standard revenge killers such as Ditto and Conk, I decided to add Mamoswine. Mamoswine has a beefy Attack stat. When it is combined with Band, it becomes a powerful wallbreaker. Its like Galarian Darmanitan, but slower and has access to priority moves like Ice Shard. Icicle Crash and Earthquake is there for slower Pokémon, while Ice Shard for faster mons. Finally, Knock Off is there for Aegislash.

Hydreigon

I needed two things: a Ground immunity and a Ghost resist. I decided to go Hydreigon because it fulfills both roles, except for MB Drill just hitting it with Earthquake. With Choice Scarf, it basically outspeeds most, if not, all of the non-Scarf meta. I had to add dual STAB moves because it was necessary for every Offensive Pokémon. Thunder Wave is there to slow down Pokémon that would normally outspeed for
Keldeo so that the latter can outspeed them. U-turn allows Hydreigon to pivot into Keldeo or other teammates against it checks.

I hope you enjoy my team, and I am waiting for your suggestions!

Edit: I’ve had a really bad time with this team. I lost more than 5 times in a row so I need suggestions please.

Last edited:

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Hi, I want to start by saying that your teams looks fairly solid to me and that I don't think you should get discouraged by having losing streaks or struggling as you move up the ladder. A lot of the time, whether you win or lose is decided by how well you played, not the exact composition of your team. As you gain experience and improve as a player, you'll find more success. With that said, I do have a few suggestions that I think could improve your team.

Major Changes:

-->

I know that you said that you wanted to build around Keldeo, but I don't think that Keldeo is the best choice for a special attacking option in the current metagame; the near-ubiquitous presence of Clef hurts Keldeo a lot. Specs Aegislash offers you a better special attacking wallbreaker that is harder for most teams to switch into. Your team already has some good speed with Zeraora and Scarfed Hydreigon, so Keldeo's speed isn't as valuable to you. Your Hydreigon potentially spreading paralysis and U-Turning into Aegislash would also be nice. I would recommend the standard Specs Aegislash set - most of the time you're just going to click Shadow Ball or Flash Cannon, but Toxic can be big against something like Mandibuzz and Shadow Sneak can help you against Dragapult and Gengar, as well as sometimes cleaning up late. Here's the set:

Aegislash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak

If you really do want to use Keldeo, I would recommend a Specs version instead with Hydro Pump, Scald, Secret Sword, and Icy Wind. Hydro Pump will almost always 2HKO common SpDef walls like Clef and Mandibuzz, provided you hit both. Scald is for the 100% accuracy and to threaten burns on stuff like Pex. Secret Sword offers good coverage against things like Ferrothorn, Toad, and Gastrodon that resist the water STABs. Icy Wind fourth is a cool tech to lower Dragapult's speed and guarantee a 2HKO while out-speeding it for the second hit. This allows Keldeo to be an emergency check against Pult, as long as it isn't Specs and gets a high roll with Draco. You can also just run Toxic over Icy Wind fourth. Here's the Specs Keldeo set:

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

-->

Conkeldurr is a huge threat to your team, and although switching into Conk is always difficult, Rocky Helmet Hippowdon does it pretty well, unless it has Close Combat, but you can usually then pivot into Aegislash from there. Hippo also does better against Bulk Up Zeraora, which your team struggles to switch into as well. Hippo unfortunately has to be above 84% to live a Grass Knot from LO Zeraora, but it's still a better answer than Ferro and you have Scarf Hydreigon to threaten a revenge kill as a fail-safe if Zeraora starts to break through. I know one of the reasons you mentioned wanting Ferro was to threaten Toad, but I don't think that's necessary with how good of an answer to Toad Clef is. Ferro can't even really threaten Toad too much anyway because Toad is likely never switching into Ferro and you risk Scald burning every time you switch Ferro into Toad. Rotom-Heat is also annoying for your team to deal with, and while it can be a problem for Hippo too, especially if it has Toxic, Hippo obviously isn't as weak to it as Ferro is. Overall, I think that Hippo is a better Stealth Rocker for your team. Here's the standard phys Def Hippo set:

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

-->

Your team lacks a hazard remover, so I suggest replacing Mamoswine with Defog Corviknight. You mentioned needing Mamoswine as a revenge killer, but I don't really think revenge killing should be too much of an issue with Zeraora and Scarfed Hydreigon. Mamo is more of a wallbreaker than a revenge killer anyway because he's not very fast and Ice Shard isn't really reliable. Bisharp and Excadrill can also be big threats to your team, and Corviknight with Body Press is a great answer to both of them. I think using a more SpDef invested Corviknight would likely help your team more as it would give you a better switch in to things like opposing Aegislash and NP Hydreigon. Defog, Roost, and Body Press all feel pretty mandatory for Corviknight on your team but the fourth slot is more flexible. I think that U-Turn might be best to let you switch into your powerful attackers like Aegislash, Zeraora, and Hydreigon. Since you want to get the slower U-Turns against opposing Corviknight, I always run 28 speed IVs on an uninvested Corviknight, but that's just me. Brave Bird could be nice over U-Turn as well to make Corviknight less passive and prevent certain things like Hawlucha and Gyarados from setting up, and it also hits Conk hard. Iron Head is always nice for Clef and Togekiss but you're probably good with just U-Turning into Aegislash and Zeraora. Anyway, here's the Corviknight set I recommend:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Minor Changes:

This is very minor, but similarly to how I run 28 speed IVs on Corviknight to get the slower U-Turns against opposing Corviknight, I also like running 28 speed IVs on Clef to get the slower Teleport against other Clefs.

Conclusion:
I feel like these changes would help round your team out more. You're still going to need to sac against things like Dracovish, but that's pretty much just how it goes unless you have a water immunity and you have Hydreigon to threaten Dracovish after a sac. As I alluded to earlier, I think that Rotom-Heat can also be a problem for this team, but at least you can use Teleport from Clef to pivot into Hydreigon and threaten it. Go ahead and try out the revised team I suggested and don't get discouraged if you struggle on the ladder at times. Here's the import for the new team:

Aegislash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak

Zeraora @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)