Kangaskhanite Tiering Discussion [+Demographics Poll Added to OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new member as well, but I've been following the forums and playing competitively for some time now.

I never had too much trouble with MegaGengar or MegKhan, but I could at least understand how Shadow Tag on MegaGar essentially guarantees a kill.

Here's the main weaknesses I see with Khan:

1. Obvious. If you see a Khan in team preview, you already know that's their mega and can prep for it accordingly.
2. Predictable. Nearly all Khan's run the same set:

- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Crunch or SuckerPunch

I made my current team before MegaKhan was a popular threat, and I always find a way to deal with him.

Trevenant: Resists the first 3 moves mentioned. If Khan runs Crunch, my trev can take it and burn him right after (and my trev isn't even running max def EVs). Sitrus berry will activate and boom, I still have a relatively healthy Trev vs. a crippled Khan.

Gengar: SubDisable Gar works well if Khan isn't running Crunch. Just disable their Sucker when they predicted you to attack and you're free to wreak havoc.

Mega Absol (or any strong priority poke): If Khan is weakened enough by entry hazards, any fast poke with priority (or fast poke that resist Sucker) can threaten him.

If worst comes to worst, I send out my Klefki for the priority T-wave, allowing me to finish Khan off with a slower poke that can 1HKO him.

I will agree that there aren't very many reliable counters to Khan, but there are more than plenty checks to Khan (especially with entry hazards up).

That's just my two cents. I don't think she deserves to be banned, at least not yet.
YOU'RE BEATING A DEAD HORSE AGAIN! This was discussed 4 pages ago, TREVENANT CANNOT SWITCH/CHECK MEGAKANGA. Crunch/Sucker Punch is a must for the best MegaKanga set. And last thing you said is that you need to sacrifice pokemons to get a chance to kill MegaKanga. NO WAY!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it me, or does almost every anti-ban post start with:
I'm a new member as well, but I've been following the forums and playing competitively for some time now.
Not that I want to discriminate against our newer members, but the vast majority of these posts (including the one I quoted) make me want to sigh because of the lack of substance in their argument-- it's clear many don't have a sense of what's good or bad for a metagame yet.

I would urge new members to consider whether their post is likely to add to discussion based on what has already been said-- especially if they have no experience following/shadowing in previous suspect or tiering discussions.

I never had too much trouble with MegaGengar or MegKhan, but I could at least understand how Shadow Tag on MegaGar essentially guarantees a kill.

1. Obvious. If you see a Khan in team preview, you already know that's their mega and can prep for it accordingly.

- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Crunch or SuckerPunch

But what if the player decides to run substitute over PuP? I know, your kanga counter/physical wall is gone and you get swept by either kanga or another threatening sweeper.

I made my current team before MegaKhan was a popular threat, and I always find a way to deal with him.

It was used to great effect, which is the reason it's being discussed here.

Trevenant: Resists the first 3 moves mentioned. If Khan runs Crunch, my trev can take it and burn him right after (and my trev isn't even running max def EVs). Sitrus berry will activate and boom, I still have a relatively healthy Trev vs. a crippled Khan.

The problem is how you're going to get it in without being KO'd after you switch in on crunch or it uses Substitute.

Gengar: SubDisable Gar works well if Khan isn't running Crunch. Just disable their Sucker when they predicted you to attack and you're free to wreak havoc.

Again, how are you going to get in without taking a predicted SE move or face a kanga behind a sub?

Mega Absol (or any strong priority poke): If Khan is weakened enough by entry hazards, any fast poke with priority (or fast poke that resist Sucker) can threaten him.

Fair point, but that's actually one of the main arguments of the pro-ban side. It requires a lot of prior damage or usually another pokemon to die before it gets in. Then there's the issue of simply switching out...

If worst comes to worst, I send out my Klefki for the priority T-wave, allowing me to finish Khan off with a slower poke that can 1HKO him.

Klefki CANNOT switch in on Earthquake, and if you do get it in safely, it requires Klefki's sacrifice for another mon to revenge it. This argument is also more of a reason to ban it.

I will agree that there aren't very many reliable counters to Khan, but there are more than plenty checks to Khan (especially with entry hazards up).

You have to get hazards up first and need something else to die to revenge kill it, or hope you predicted the right move. If not, then you just lost another mon.

That's just my two cents. I don't think she deserves to be banned, at least not yet.
My arguments in bold and italics.

Last edited:
I'm a new member and a firsttime poster (this being my first post) but I want to state that I have read the forums often before becoming a member and reviewed the posts before posting.

I agree with all who vote for a poll. Bear in mind, my stance is leaning towards not banning Kanga's MegaStone. The counters have been stated and unlike Gengarite with multiple DIFFERENT viable sets (which has also been brought up in comparison), I've found that the players I've versed with Kanghaskhan have been very predictable due to similar builds. Rocket Helmet is an item I see often and definately makes Kanghaskhan stumble if the pokemon holding it switches in on it's MegaMorphosis turn.

I will express concern for the quick banning of MegaStones if this doesn't end with Kanghaskhan being brought into question. A topic for another thread, I'm sure, but I'll bring it up again with this post.

Thanks for reading this and I'm excited to join the discussions in the future.
Kanga can run multiple builds, such as Defensive SToss, But the PuP one is just too good.

also the standard set of PuP/Return/Sp/Crunch has no counters if they aren't named Sableye, who is the only pokemon who beats M'Khan 1v1 on its own. Everything else can be considered checks as they die to cripple it or need something to die to kill it and if you read any page in the thread before the last 2 you would see that, with Calcs to back it up.

- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Crunch or SuckerPunch

ITS HAPPENING AGAIN!

Trevenant Can't take a Crunch. we have the calcs for that (Can't do em right now but they are in this thread.)

Gengar loses to Crunch, the main alt on a high level Kang (Which is how you judge how broken it is, optimal sets not common sets, otherwise MGar would be still here)

Absol isn't powerful enough. Talonflame isn't powerful enough. The most powerful Priority possible, Banded Techloom isn't strong enough.

Khan has team mates to sponge status (Again Rotom Heat is a god send for Kang) and can set up later.

all of the above need to sacrifice something to the Kangaroo Goddess of Parenting to get in on Kang. therefore they are checks. Checks that can still lose. most of em do. and when they do their job, your team is left with a gaping hole that can be easily plowed through.

Just read the thread, you will see.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Crunch or SuckerPunch

Kang runs Fire Punch. Also, it can switch out.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Given that most of the anti-ban arguments revolve around Ghosts that can burn Kanga, I think I might just rock Kanga + a Flash Fire/Guts user or maybe a cleric. Kanga is a physical attacker and is neutered by burn, we get it. So is Extreme Killer Arceus. But there are ways of handling that, especially when it's so predictable (Hmmm, I wonder what this Sableye/Trevenant/Gourgeist will do...). That's without even going into the easily exploitable problems that arise when a Pokemon's primary counters/checks are weak to Pursuit.

Kanga doesn't require much team support but she has it all the same. Don't disregard it in your arguments.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
So khan should be banned, because as we've stated, if khan comes in at full heath, it literally requires something to die to kill it.

Its bulk prevents priority users from taking it down with priority, and they get KO'd back.
its speed limits the amount of things to that can revenge it, forcing slower mons to use scarfs, and because of it's bulk, lack the power to revenge kill it.
Its combination of bulk and power allows it to take a hit, then kill back.
Anything fast enough to kill it is also too frail, and thanks to khans bulk, they can't kill it, and get killed back
Its combination of speed, bulk and power literally requires a sacrifice so something can come in and take it down. Nothing lives switching into this thing.
Nothing can reliable switch in and live. Not even ferrothorn, especially with the ease it sets up, inculding ON ferrothorn.
Its combination of speed bulk and power means it should go live in ubers.

I can't think of one mon who can hard counter this. Hard counter is like switching into something to the point where it can't touch it, like switching jellicent into Keldeo. Keldeo can't do anything, and must switch. At + 2 Khan 2HKOs skarm, and even if you whirlwind it out, khan is still out there, its not gone, and probably at full health. You probably just traded 60% of your skarms health to die later. Any smart khan user carries crunch, and even if you can burn khan, its literally capable of killing confagrious and powering through the burn with more power up punches. When you face this thing, you literally have to sacrifice whatevers out, so khan can either take prior damage and be revenged, or so the ghost checks (not counters, they still die) can get a safe switch in. Every tried switching confagrious into crunch? even with mummy, the next turn khan eats it for breakfast, and can retain its threat, because 125 base attack is still powerful to KO a lot with it's now unblockable power up punch boosted attacks, combined with it's bulk and speed.
You're wrong.
Cofagrigus, from full health and 252/252+ spread, can take a +1 PuP, (mummy will have been negated), take the following crunch, burn, take the next crunch, and then rest.
It can also take a crunch on the switch in, take another crunch, burn, and then have around a 70% chance of taking the 3rd and getting rest off.
That's about as close as a counter gets buddy.
If you think I'm wrong, find some calcs. Only problem is that there are none.

I used to think not many people ran Crunch. For this reason I thought Ghosts with a non attacking moves can wall it to oblivion and I also thought while it was powerful, it wasn't necessarily ban-worthy. After reading arguments from both sides and seeing how Crunch IS more common than I thought. Not to mention the whole Ghost with no attacking move is situational at best. Also, seeing its raw power which I experienced myself while using it. I'm leaning more towards ban-worthy. I'm not the kind of guy who just jumps into conclusions and says hurr durr OP. Seeings calcs, solid arguments and using it myself all lead me to my current stance.

When people go oh Smogon seemingly banning thing like a cakewalk (myself included at some points). I also go for the benefit of the doubt. Above all that seeing how that even some "revenge killers" fail to do so this is even more of a reason why I'm leaning towards the ban.

I've only seen one or so solid arguments on the anti-ban side, but even that fails in comparison to stand good points against the solid ban-siding points. (man all this side talk makes it sound like politics)

tl;dr I was skeptical at first, but now I'm leaning towards ban-worthy.

Last edited:

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
We don't know how Mummy interacts with Parental Bond. But the precedent would suggest it still allows the baby to strike on the initial turn, with Mummy only coming into effect on the next turn. So assuming Normal Kanga uses PuP on the switch, Mummy will negate Scrappy. However, Kanga will still acquire Parental Bond upon Mega-Evolving and deal up to 85% with Crunch.

I love your signiture chou, and while Khan should be banned, a lot of people don't understand why, or at least the wrogn reasons for khan to be banned.

This happened with Gengarite, a lot of people still think he was banned because of his sweeping abilities, that is flat out wrong. Khan is banned because there is no reliable switch in. Sableye take a PUP to the face, Confagrious, even while disabling Parent Bonding session, still dies to the second crunch, with out getting a burn off. Have fun watching absol get returned on the switch in, (thats a 0HKO).

Srn9130
Why would would you retain scrappy against a Confagriou switch in. Crunch that sucker, and get the kill anyway. If you retain scrappy:

Con switches in, Normal Khan uses PUP, mummied.
Khan megas, gains Parental bond, use crunch, KILLING confagrious at +1 with crunch, mummied.

Also:
Con switches in, Khan megas, uses crunch, confagrios down to about 30-40%, mummied
Khan uses Crunch again, hits once, but Con is still KO'd

at what point does khan get burned? The purpose of a counter is to take anything that Khan could POSSIBLY throw at it, and still win, like Goodra can take anything from Gengar (dazzling gleam gets only 30%) and kill it back with ease.

Now Khan can use PUP on the next guy, take the hit, and even with mummy, go around picking things off with +2 returns off 125 base atk, bulk, and 100 speed.

You're wrong.
Cofagrigus, from full health and 252/252+ spread, can take a +1 PuP, (mummy will have been negated), take the following crunch, burn, take the next crunch, and then rest.
It can also take a crunch on the switch in, take another crunch, burn, and then have around a 70% chance of taking the 3rd and getting rest off.
but 252/252+ wasn't even that great in uu last gen, let alone barely being mentioned for gen five ou. everyone used tr/nasty plot offensive, and that's the only set in the ou analysis.
says something when you have to run a set that's pretty much suboptimal even in uu to beat this thing.
not to mention that it still takes a shitload of damage on the switch with crunch. if it's at +2, you have a 25% chance to die assuming jolly nature; it will not survive two, even sans parental bond.
ps: the uu defensive set didn't even have rest, as it was considered a poor choice on that set due to making you a sitting duck.

furthermore, why would you stay in on something that you know you can't kill? it's not as though the wisp is hard to predict, just save your khan for later

edit: crunch on the switch, crunch before the will-o and a third crunch before the rest leaves cofag at ~5%; assuming each hit does minimum damage.

Ludicolo, from full health and 252/252+ spread, can take a Choice Specs Water-boosted Water Spout or Thunder, outspeed Kyogre with Swift Swim, Giga-Drain life back, and outdamage and outlive the Kyogre. Shedinja similarly walls and beats Kyogre on the switchin and 1v1, so long as Kyogre isn't running Toxic. Nevertheless, we all know that Kyogre is just too powerful for OU.

We've already established the (very very) few counters to M-Kanga in this game. Guess what? Having one or two counters does NOT stop a pokemon from being Uber. In fact, you start having to look for EXTREMELY niche pokemon (ie: Ludicolo and Shedinja vs Kyogre, or Sableye, Cofagrigus or Dusclops vs Mega-Khan) just to beat the thing.

Guess what. Khan is Uber. Yes, it has counters, but so does Kyogre. Both are clearly unhealthy for this metagame... it is blatantly obvious as soon as people started running Sableye in OU that Khan has already begun overcentralizing the metagame.

You're wrong.
Cofag is not very viable outside countering Mega Kang, it'll be a deadweight most of the time. The fact that Cofag is even considered shows how overcentralizing Kanga is, forcing people to use situational pokes like Spiritomb and Cofag.

Ludicolo, from full health and 252/252+ spread, can take a Choice Specs Water-boosted Water Spout or Thunder, outspeed Kyogre with Swift Swim, Giga-Drain life back, and outdamage and outlive the Kyogre. Shedinja similarly walls and beats Kyogre on the switchin and 1v1, so long as Kyogre isn't running Toxic. Nevertheless, we all know that Kyogre is just too powerful for OU.

We've already established the (very very) few counters to M-Kanga in this game. Guess what? Having one or two counters does NOT stop a pokemon from being Uber. In fact, when you start having to look for EXTREMELY niche pokemon (ie: Ludicolo and Shedinja vs Kyogre, or Sableye, Cofagrigus or Dusclops vs Mega-Khan) just to beat the thing?

Guess what. Khan is Uber. Yes, it has counters, but so does Kyogre. Both are clearly unhealthy for this metagame... it is blatantly obvious as soon as people started running Sableye in OU that Khan has already begun overcentralizing the metagame.
Utterly, and completely correct.

I run full defense Cofragrigus for a lot of megas, if only to threaten them with a burn after they lose huge power/parental bond/technician/adaptability/aerialite and then pain split whatever they send in to 'sponge the status'. It works pretty well honestly, especially when you run haze in the third slot. In general, I find status ghosts are enough to keep kanga in the meta, as if they ARE running crunch, then you know you can use speed and priority to your advantage afterwards. I was running mismagius with substitute at one point and it also did its job well enough of scouting out a kanga moveset provided you like, predict correctly. Its not a new concept that you have to get a feel for what your opponent is going to do at any juncture in the battle. I see the adverseness against kanga as a general trend of battlers to not want to adapt or run unkosher strategies or niche mons that are pretty useful when you stop to think about it.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
but 252/252+ wasn't even that great in uu last gen, let alone barely being mentioned for gen five ou. everyone used tr/nasty plot offensive, and that's the only set in the ou analysis.
says something when you have to run a set that's pretty much suboptimal even in uu to beat this thing.
not to mention that it still takes a shitload of damage on the switch with crunch. if it's at +2, you have a 25% chance to die assuming jolly nature; it will not survive two, even sans parental bond.
ps: the uu defensive set didn't even have rest, as it was considered a poor choice on that set due to making you a sitting duck.

furthermore, why would you stay in on something that you know you can't kill? it's not as though the wisp is hard to predict, just save your khan for later
The only reason you'd run cofagrigus in pokebank OU is to completely counter mega khan anyway, so it's in your best interest to max out defense.
And please, if you think cofagrigus can't take "X move" from mega kang, feel free to show me some calcs. I had some earlier in this thread, but I'm not gonna bother looking through for it.

Kangaskhanite should be banned from OU. Ghosts are the closest thing to walling Mega Kangaskhan, but they can get crunched. The best way to kill mega kangaskhan is by revenge killing it. I find terrakion being a perfect revenge killer for it as it gets justified boosts if kangaskhan decides to sucker punch, and if it doesn't it's a guaranteed OHKO with close combat.

You're wrong.
The only reason you'd run cofagrigus in pokebank OU is to completely counter mega khan anyway, so it's in your best interest to max out defense.
And please, if you think cofagrigus can't take "X move" from mega kang, feel free to show me some calcs. I had some earlier in this thread, but I'm not gonna bother looking through for it.
That doesn't matter when the only reason you're running Cofragigus with a less than optimal spread is to defeat MegaKanga. Guess what? I can use a counter to Sableye/Dusclops/Cofragigus. Now the game becomes a MegaKanga/Kanga counterx2/Kanga counterx3 fight... and that's one of the reasons pokemons should be banned, to prevent overcentralization.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Cofag is not very viable outside countering Mega Kang, it'll be a deadweight most of the time. The fact that Cofag is even considered shows how overcentralizing Kanga is, forcing people to use situational pokes like Spiritomb and Cofag.
I'll agree that cofag isn't that great in OU besides countering mega kang, but it does have cool niches, and is NOT completely dead weight.
First off, think of a physical attacker
Does it use contact moves? Most do
Does it have an ability to help it? Most do, like technician for scizor or gale wings for talonflame. They'd be pretty bad without it.
Now this pokemon makes contact with cofag and is crippled because it just lost its precious ability.
Not to mention an outstanding 145 base defense lets you take a LOT of physical hits.
Mega pinsir is crippled, mega mawile is crippled, mega medicham is crippled, and they all become much easier to deal with.
But I'm gonna stop about cofagrigus since this is the mega-kanga ban thread after all.
Just want to point out that cofagrigus isn't as useless as you all think it is.

I run full defense Cofragrigus for a lot of megas, if only to threaten them with a burn after they lose huge power/parental bond/technician/adaptability/aerialite and then pain split whatever they send in to 'sponge the status'. It works pretty well honestly, especially when you run haze in the third slot. In general, I find status ghosts are enough to keep kanga in the meta, as if they ARE running crunch, then you know you can use speed and priority to your advantage afterwards. I was running mismagius with substitute at one point and it also did its job well enough of scouting out a kanga moveset provided you like, predict correctly. Its not a new concept that you have to get a feel for what your opponent is going to do at any juncture in the battle. I see the adverseness against kanga as a general trend of battlers to not want to adapt or run unkosher strategies or niche mons that are pretty useful when you stop to think about it.
I actually run dusclops on my teams last gen too, its always ben there for me, BUT to kill khan i literally always have to sacrifice clops to burn him so i can revenge kill him later, and If khan crunches clops on the switch in, I have to let clops die to guarentee a switch in for my priority user to hit him, die, then my other priority/faster mon to kill him. I have to sacrifice always 1 of my team members to kill it, and then I'm left without my wall, and say terrakion, can now sweep my team...

Kanga runs both Crunch and Sukcer punch most of the time, your mismagius is not beating Kanga anytime soon. I just checked the calcs too, Cofag is two hit koed by two crunches with adamant, guaranteed with SR, so it's not a full on counter as people claim.

252+ Atk Parental Bond Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cofagrigus: 171-204 (53.4 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cofagrigus: 114-136 (35.6 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cofagrigus: 330-388 (103.1 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It can't take hits from Pinsir ether, it's one hit koed by +2 return XD.

+2 252+ Atk Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cofagrigus: 252-298 (78.7 - 93.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It can also be one hit koed by Mega Lucario.

Cofag sucks balls, it does not counter any of these threats.

I don't think you realize how versatile Mega-Khan is.

252 SpA Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cofagrigus: 153-183 (47.8 - 57.1%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO

Deal with it. The set is:

252 Sp.A / 252 Speed Timid
Seismic Toss (lol 2HKO almost all non-ghosts)
Shadow Ball (Nice Ghost)
Ice Beam
Fire Blast

For people that are still confused about Parental Bond vs Mummy mechanics, this was deliberately tested by PO staff ingame and Mummy does block Parental Bond at the end of the turn. Crunch will do exactly the same amount of damage against Cofagrigus as in any other scenario without Mummy. It is after the turn that it hit Cofagrigus that Parental Bond no longer takes effect, so you only hit once from then on.

Source: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?23239-Parental-Bond-vs-Mummy-bug

Dusclops is dumb and doesn't have the necessary thing it takes to neuter Mkanga and other megas, MUMMY. They both threaten with burn, but in general I find mkanga trying to do a wimpy earthquake on my expected cofragrigus switchin, and then you pain split. He eats it up I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)