Just Chillin' (Gen 5 OU RMT)

Introduction of sorts:
Hello Smogon, this is my first rate my team of Generation 5, and my first since my first post upon joining Smogon. But you don't care, you want to see the team I have made. I don't claim to be the best battler, and I certainly am not, but I enjoy it. That's why I made this team, for fun and to do I well as possible with some of my new favourites from Gen 5.

Trick Room has always intrigued me, making many forgotten or unappreciated Pokemon viable and destructive. With Gen 5 bringing many powerful yet slow Pokemon to the table Trick Room has never had so much versatility. The team was throw together rather on a whim, though it has been doing rather well on Pokemon Online. It reached about 100/2500 on the Beta Server before Smogon's was up, but as end of year exams loomed, I had little time to perfect my team. Now as school has drawn to a close and the holidays are upon me, I can once again devote myself to this team, with your help of course.

Team at a Glance:

Team at a slightly closer glance:
CHANGES IN RED

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
Jolly - 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Trick Room
-Spore
-Spikes
-Magic Coat

Smeargle is the lead, albeit slightly gimmicky, that starts off the team wonderfully. The stradegy behind it involves, first turn Spore and survive thanks to Focus Sash, then proceed to Trick Room. Now with Trick Room up and an (hopefully still) asleep opponent, Endeavor bringing them down to Smeargle's HP (13 iirc) and Dragon Rage to finish them off. Dragon Rage is used in case his Focus Sash wasn't broken as after a Endeavor at full health they with still die unlike Quick Attack or another option.

Smeargle straight out losses to sleep leads, taunt and those that bring abrasive weather conditions (Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow). When facing these I can either put something to sleep or set up Trick Room. If they attack first turn he survives the hit but dies to SS or Hail at the end of the turn. Opposing sleep leads out speed render him useless. Taunt leads set him back, making only Endeavor and Dragon Rage usable, however they can be crippled and killed by another of my team.

Against leads that set up entre hazards first turn Smeargle rocks the shit out of them. Sleep with Trick Room with Focus Sash intact, yes please. A lot of people also don't switch out immediately either, allowing Smeargle to cripple upwards of two pokes, one with sleep and the other with Endeavor.

On the suggestion of sax king, Mirror Coat and Spikes were added in over Endeavor and Dragon Rage. This solves the problem of taunt users and brings some entre hazards to the team were were sorely missed. Mirror Coat is also effective in blocking status and the entre hazards of others which helps Smeargle set up TR and possible Spikes. Smeargle was also brought up to lvl 100 as Endeavor+Dragon Rage is no longer being used.

Erufuun (EruFUN) @ Leftovers
Mischievous Heart
Bold - 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Taunt
-Encore

Erufuun is the most annoying Pokemon I have ever used or played against. With Mischievous Heart giving all his moves priority he can stop set-up sweepers in their tracks and take down walls with SubSeed and Taunt. The nature and EVs give him maximum bulk while healing as much as possible from Leech Seed. They are a bit confused and I am looking for a better spread.

Leech Seed is Leech Seed, annoying as hell, and combined with priority Subs it makes a deadly combo. Leftovers provide a little more healing and nullify SS and Hail damage. Taunt lets it stop walls from recovering or using status and Encore allows it to be the team answer to set-up sweepers. Its moves together allow it to stall out last Pokemon such as CurseLax and CroCune by preventing them from healing/setting up and slowly killing them with Leech Seed damage.

Stun Spore is another option that would help Erufuun and the rest of the team when TR is no longer out but the other moves are much to useful to replace. If only Pokemon were allowed 5 moves.

Rankurusu (Jeff) @ Life Orb
Magic Guard
Quiet - 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD
0 Spe IV
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Recover

The first time I ever saw Rankurusu I knew I had to try it, and with an amazing 125 SpA and 30 Spe he was perfect for Trick Room. His 110/75/85 defenses are respectable and despite his poor typing he can take a few hits. Quiet and 0 Spe IV allow him to outpace a hell of a lot under Trick Room while hitting hard with his high SpA. Magic Guard grants him immunity to passive damage, no Stealth Rock, no weather, no toxic making him the teams status absorber. He has immunity to Life Orb recoil and still gains the boosts. The EVs are pretty self explanatory, max HP and SpA to take hits better and hit back hard. The leftovers are dumped into SpD just because.

Trick Room allows him to restore it for the rest of the team and to "speed" himself up. His attacking options grant him excellent neutral coverage. Psychic for a strong STAB, preferred over Psycho Shock as the rest of the team handles Blissey/Chansey pretty well. Focus Blast nails those Dark and Steel types hoping to come in on a resisted or immune Psychic. I love the imaginary look on Tyranitar's or Sazandora's face when they are KO by a green blob. Shadow Ball has perfect neutral coverage with FB and hits opposing Psychics and Ghosts.

I usually use him to clean up late game when Marowak has smashed through the opposing team or when TR needs to be restored and Porygon2 simply isn't a good idea.

Sax king once again suggested Recover over Shadow Ball. This has been helpful in adding to Rankurusu's survivability. This allows him to aid the team more successfully as he can repeatedly come in to restore TR, recover off any damage and proceed to wreck the opposition.

Zuruzukin (Thug Lyf) @ Leftovers
Shed Skin
Sassy - 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 SpD
0 Spe IV
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Payback
-Rest

Oh Zuruzukin, you're so cool. This is pretty much the Zuruzukin set from the thread but with a Sassy nature and 0 Spe IV. He is already quite slow with only base 58 Sped but this helps to slow him down a bit for better use in TR. Max HP/SpD allow for maximum bulk on the special side as his Defense is being boosted by Bulk Up, EVs are unnecessary. Taking a Draco Meteor from Sazandora and KOing in return while healing with Drain Punch sure does feel good. The remainder are thrown into Atk for good luck (I dunno).

Shed Skin pairs very well with Rest, often able to heal him before his two turns are up. It helps with other status such as Poison and Burn that he doesn't enjoy. The dual STABs provide him with excellent coverage, Drain Punch giving additional healing and Payback is often boosted because of his low speed. TR is not even necessary for him to set up and sweep, though it does help gaining the initial Bulk Ups. After a few boosts not much is going to stop him and he is free to sweep.

Zuruzukin and Rankurusu together where the inspiration to make this team as they are both top 5 favourites for Gen 5. The title also comes from Zuru, because of his laid back attitude and how many people forget that is just a game and should be played for fun.

Porygon2 (Pwnygon2) @ Evolution Stone
Trace
Relaxed - 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
0 Spe IV
-Trick Room
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

Porygon2 is the second and final Trick Room user (Smeargle doesn't count). He acts as the bulky pivot to take hits and restores Trick Room for the rest of the team. Trace was chosen over Analyze because in TR Pory out speeds a lot, Download is to unreliable. Relaxed and 0 Spe IV make him as physically bulky as possible while slowing him down. The EVs are for bulk, as is Evolution Stone, though he misses the Lefties recovery. I am looking for a better set that still allows him to take hits but dish them back harder.

Trick Room is obvious. BoltBeam combo giving him the best possible coverage, hitting troublesome Dragons SE. Recover allows him to maintain his health and survive for future use of TR.

Marowak (Q-Boner) @ Thick Club
Rock Head
Brave - 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
0 Spe IV
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Double-Edge
-Fire Punch

Marowak is the main powerhouse of the team, able to come in for four turns of TR and smash shit up. Brave and 0 Spe IV allow him to boost his attack while lowering his already poor Speed. The EVs are obvious max bulk and max Attack. With Thick Club his attack skyrockets to 568, and without the recoil of Life Orb.

His attacks grant amazing coverage. Earthquake is for a strong STAB and is his basic attack. Rock Slide complements it well forming a pseudo QuakeEdge and hits Flying-types that are immune to Earthquake. Rock Slide over Stone Edge, despite the drop in power because my luck is terrible and I miss like half the time. Double-Edge hits waters neutrally that otherwise wall him and with Rock Head he doesn't take recoil from it. Fire Punch is mostly filler, but hits bulky Grasses etc for more damage than Double-Edge.

Marowak is often used as the early game battering ram, smashing through as much as possible before TR runs out. Porygon2 acts as the pivot for him that restore his precious Trick Room.

Conclusion:
So there you have it, it may not be the best team in the world but it sure is fun to play with. With the first round of OU suspect voting looming, players wishing to be involved need a rating of >1500. I know with my skills this will be a tough ask but I would like to be as high as possible to a least be thought of and to have my say on the future metagame.

Comment, rate, steal whatever, I am here to improve it. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

EDIT: Yay, 200th post.

Mmm, set up Zuruzukin doesn't really take advantage of Trick Room, taking up valuable turns of the distortion to stat up or heal. Try a more offensive set, or hell, use a TR Roopushin variant instead.

Roopushin@Flame Orb
Guts
Brave 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
Hammer Arm
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Earthquake
Drain Punch/Mach Punch

Hammer Arm makes you faster every turn, and Burn Orb grants you an immediate Guts boost without having to set up. As a result, you have more moves available for some prime coverage. Mach Punch gives you priority after TR ends or you can use Drain Punch to stay healthy during your sweep. Payback won't be very useful seeing as you'll be outspeeding everything.

Hi Xav, I think this team is pretty cool. However, I think Heatran deserves a mention as a possible member of your team.

Heatran@Choice Specs/Life Orb
Quiet
Ivs: 30/31/30/30/31/3
252 SpAtk/252 HP/4Def
-Fire Blast/Eruption
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-HP Grass

This Heatran can put dents in pretty much anything, and Choice Specs Eruption coming off of a base 130 SpA stat is downright scary.
-

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Xav n_n
I like Trick Room teams, but I don't think Smeargle can function due to mass Taunt users. Erufuun is the lead position would work better, with Trick Room > Substitute. Stall does not quite work in Trick Room. A Quiet / Sassy Burungeru might work in place of Smeargle, giving you yet another possible TR user. Burungeru has good synergy with Marowak, gaining HP from Water type attacks. Marowak in return is immune to Electric type attacks aimed at Burungeru. Some form of entry hazards would be nice, but if you want to stick with hard hitting right away, that's fine :D

GL in the future.

Thanks for the imput guys, I'll definitely be giving them a go. Heatran has be going alright but I do miss the physical power and ability to switch moves that Marowak has. I ceratinly be trying Erufuun in the lead spot as I have been having some trouble with Taunt.

I really like this team. Here are my comments.

Smeargle-
I've never been a fan of the gimmicky Smeargles. I think that Endeavor should be switched with Spikes, and Dragon Rage with Magic Coat. This way, you can add in hazards while reflecting back taunts, status, and other things that stop Smeargle.

Erufuun-
I wouldn't really put in taunt unless it's a lead. So you can either change it to the lead, althought then you lose your early TR. You can also use Stun Spore, which I would probably go with. Paralysis is incredibly usefull, especially if you are trying to set up Zuruzukin or Trick Room itself.

Rankurusu-
This thing -needs- recover. I would probably give up Shadow Ball for it, because Rankurusu is going to need to heal multiple times, and Fight-Psychic has decent coverage and can beat nattorei.

Zuruzukin-
I like Zuruzukin way better than Roobushin, but Roobushin works so much better here. I support the attempt for some variety, but it's not going to work. If you decide to keep Zuruzukin, I would replace Rest with Amnesia and use Overconfidence as the ability. It make you the ultimate bulky tank.

Porygon2-
This is fine, keep it as it is.

Marowak-
I think you should keep Marowak. Nothing packs its power and its strong, no recoil attacks. I would change Earthquake to Bonemerang to take care of subs and of sashes, however. I would also replace Double Edge with Substitute, so that even when Trick Room runs out, you can still stay alive for a bit.

GL with the team!

With Marowak this team doesn't really fear Blissey, and Psychic hits Roobshin far harder.
Exactly.

Recover is working well on Rankurusu, as is Mirror Coat/Spikes on Smeagle. Entre hazards sure do help. I am unsure wether to permanently remove Zuruzukin in favour of Roobushin. They have been performing very similarly and I straight up just prefer Zuru.

EDIT: Porygon2 sweep ftw :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)