July 7* Tera Raid Event Part 2: Rillaboom (Normal Tera)

I've been trying out the Altaria set posted earlier, Featherdance is nice to have. However, today there are very few Koraidon, instead there are suicide Close Combat spammers. I can't catch a break...
One interesting mon I have seen is kantonian Moltres with WoW/Roost/Safeguard/Flamethrower. I suppose Safeguard is nice, and it didn't die.

I've been trying out the Altaria set posted earlier, Featherdance is nice to have. However, today there are very few Koraidon, instead there are suicide Close Combat spammers. I can't catch a break...
One interesting mon I have seen is kantonian Moltres with WoW/Roost/Safeguard/Flamethrower. I suppose Safeguard is nice, and it didn't die.
I'd try my Oriciorio-Sensu set if you're not running into Koraidon players. It's essentially the same set, minus Cotton Guard, but you don't really need it because you're a Ghost-type and will only ever be hit by non-STAB Acrobatics.

Oricorio-Sensu @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Dancer
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Feather Dance
- Helping Hand
- Taunt
- Roost

Very similar to the Altaria set above, Oricorio-Sensu is my favorite support for this raid so far. Resists Drum Beating, and immune to Body Slam, Low Kick, and Boomburst, only taking any sort of meaningful damage from Acrobatics. Taunt is nice on here to prevent the second Growth, and on rare occasions if Rillaboom doesn't take too much damage, Bulk Up. I'm running Clear Amulet as the item because when you use Roost, you lose your Flying-typing, and Rillaboom will end up using Drum Beating.

I'd say the only thing if solo is that for obvious reasons you do NOT want Arboliva.
Intimidaters are obv nice but can do without.
I actually had Arboliva in my set
Didn't really matter; grassy terrain lasts a long time as it is and Rillaboom isn't going to bother using his grass moves with it us

Some more miscellaneous notes on my experiences with the Rillaboom raid.

Unfortunately Marill does not have enough DPS to realistically beat Rillaboom, even with Rain Dance.
1690751963868.png

Based on the Coba Berry Annihilape, I tried using Rindo Berry on Huge Power Azumarill. It didn't stop Rillaboom from using Drum Beating as its strongest option most of the time, but it at least let me live the early turns until I could fairy tera and sometimes Rillaboom would use different moves for some reason. Usually I would get 3 moves in of 2 Mud-Slap and 1 Tickle before the shield went up and another Mud-Slap in the time before Boomburst to hopefully dodge it, but sometimes if he missed or used Low Kick then I could get 4 moves in with mashing and once even had a 5-turn run where he didn't even manage to activate Rindo. Even with the luckiest opener, it can all be ruined by bad luck in the other stages of the battle. I go for 3 Mud-Slap to tera ASAP with a 4th Mud-Slap and Belly Drum from there, usually burning most of my heal cheers. Play Rough breaks shield in 6 hits after Bulk Up's +1 Defense and 4 hits at +0 after Tickle, and even getting a hit in before Bulk Up goes through still makes it 4 hits. Without multiple defense drops like from Liquidation and Leer in my other run, usually Play Rough doesn't manage to break shield under the HP threshold of the debuff reset, but the AI can at least get their own status moves in after the next Play Rough pushes it down.

The last step of the battle still does require a lot of luck since all the debuffs need to be reset, and the fresh Rillaboom has a good chance to end the run by killing you and/or just wasting time with double attacks. With 1 Tickle, 3 Play Roughs are still needed to kill. A few runs were close enough but failed a turn away from the win every time, since even with good moves on the AI like Charm and FeatherDance, they use them too inconsistently and waste turns using status moves against the shield for some reason. The Bellibolt AI was very bad and tended to spam Mud Shot the entire time instead of Discharge until it ran out of PP. Apparently it has Light Screen too which would be nice against some raids if it ever bothered to use it. Overall I think this is possible but to the threshold of being too unreliable even for me. I tried 2 Intimidators for some time, but noticed that they usually didn't die quickly enough to reapply Intimidate and were too slow to help out after the debuff reset.

1690752049620.png
1690752120706.png

1690752130432.png

I played some online raids with a support Azumarill set focusing on immediate Charm with some Mud-Slap, and mostly ran into issues with randoms not having enough DPS to beat the Rillaboom still or just dying anyway. I feel like the mass amount of boosts makes this rough for people who don't know what they're doing to survive. Among these and some solo attempts, I noticed that if someone is dead during the Boomburst turn, then Rillaboom will go for Boomburst into Growth instead of the other way around.

1690752272839.png
1690752293546.png

1690752305280.png

Something strange I noticed was seeing a shiny Zacian with the Hero forme model, but actually being a crowned Zacian.

A last strategy I considered was setting up Misty Terrain and not moving to see if the effect's duration would last forever, because of how attack cheers were noted to not wear off until moves by the whole party were made and thinking that other turn based effects would be tied to the whole party moved turn count the same way. It seemed to work, but I also found out that you automatically move after some time using your first move slot like in normal online battles anyway.

1690829330613.png

The Switch news feed article for the Rillaboom raids mentions an end date of June 11, which would align with the intended timeline where Chesnaught's rerun finished on May 19 and we got Delphox on May 26, Delphox's rerun on June 2, and Rillaboom on June 9. This would have had the last Rillaboom raids neatly end before the Gimmighoul event on June 21.

I wasn't around much to play with this raid, tried a couple online matches but people were bringing terrible mons and getting killed too fast to do anything.

Tried a couple times solo with an Unaware Skeledirge and I think it could work with the right set. I basically went 3 tries and never fainted once with a defensive build, but also wasn't able to finish him off before running out of time. Sounds like Corviknight might be more reliable, but on a decent team I think Skeledirge could definitely pull it's weight, though I suppose with online play you don't know if someone is running Unaware or not...

:magnezone:

Magnezone's been a pretty fun alternative to Corviknight after I got bored with using the latter. Its Achilles Heel is its Low Kick weakness and subpar Special Defense, but with the combination of T1 Reflect and AI Defense Cheer, then Iron Defense later on, it can do the raid pretty well, especially with Intimidate support but I've beaten Rillaboom without it.

I've tried two versions. The first is a max max bulk build with Analytic:

Magnezone @ Shell Bell
Ability: Analytic
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Screech
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

And a faster one with Sturdy (it never comes into play, but it's more optimal than its other two abilities)

Magnezone @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Screech
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

The bulky Analytic set does crazy amounts of damage with its Body Press:

+6 252+ Def Analytic Tera Fighting Magnezone Body Press vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Normal Rillaboom: 2982-3510 (24.9 - 29.4% of 35x hp boss) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

+6 252+ Def Analytic Tera Fighting Magnezone Body Press vs. -4 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Normal Rillaboom: 4470-5262 (37.4 - 44% of 35x hp boss) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+6 252+ Def Analytic Tera Fighting Magnezone Body Press vs. -6 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Normal Rillaboom: 5960-7014 (49.9 - 58.7% of 35x hp boss) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

I prefer the bulky Analytic set over the faster one since I feel the faster variant is done better by fast Corviknight (it's faster, letting it keep its +Def nature, and has a better defensive typing), and the bulkier set does way more damage.

Usually my play is to Reflect turn 1 (it doesn't go away during the stat wipe turn unlike Iron Defense), Screech as many times as I can, then spam BP until the stat wipe. I don't mind if I die since I can just then set up with ID and go on the offensive. I've found that once you Tera Fighting, the AI will cycle between Low Kick and Acrobatics for some reason, likely still taking my old Steel-typing into account. By then, you're at +6 Defense so the Acro weakness hardly matters.

Corviknight's safer overall, but imo Magnezone is more fun to use.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
A few of us got together and worked this out on Saturday evening.

Camara and Delio from OI Discord helped me out as I was having really awful luck with randomers. The number of Koraidon I saw was insane but the person who took the biscuit was the guy with level 100 Azumarill using Water Gun...

I had a few extremely close attempts - one with Koraidon/Torkoal and Arceus where the timer finished early and we absolutely should have won - Torkoal immediately Clear Smogged the double Growth boost away which gave us a decent in. Just didn't quite have the DPS later on.

I ran the event Bronzong with some swapped moves (I added Reflect and Metal Sound just in case) but it was mostly Body Press/Iron Defence. I'd lead reflect to help out the team, then iron defence twice and body press before the wipe before resetting up to +6 and going from there.

Camara took an excellent Mew support build with Life Dew/Chilling Water and Delio came in with a Torch Song/Flamethrower Skeledirge. Without the Skeledirge we failed the first time due to running out of DPS, even at +6 Defence on Zong, Rilla is just fat. Managed it decently the second time around with the AI Dudunsparce giving some Para support.

Probably second or third "hardest" as far as I'm concerned as people just took silly mons and Rilla had insanely good coverage overall dealing with most of the heavy hitters (Hands takes a lot from Low Kick and Azu wasn't really a choice). Koraidon being immediately neutered by +2 Growth was probably a shock to most people.

Raids are back, and I've been running a really consistent support:

:persian-alola:
Persian-Alola @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Fur Coat
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Charm
- Screech
- Snarl
- Helping Hand

The combination of Charm + Screech provides the best form of defensive and offensive utility. Snarl helps with the +SpA boosts, and you know what HH does. Charm + Fur Coat makes pretty much everything besides Boomburst just bounce off, and Covert Cloak prevents Drum Beating speed-drops and Body Slam paralysis.

I'd try my Oriciorio-Sensu set if you're not running into Koraidon players. It's essentially the same set, minus Cotton Guard, but you don't really need it because you're a Ghost-type and will only ever be hit by non-STAB Acrobatics.
I did try Oricorio today, it was doing well. I initially chose Altaria because I do not like Taunt in raids with randoms, it can be difficult to time it; making an educated guess how much will people beat up the boss can be difficult, and they also have to actually damage the shield a visible amount or die to proc the second Growth. One drawback I also experienced is that when stat wipe happens I have nothing to do for a bit, I have plans for my cheers, no move of mine is going through shield, and party is setting up Iron Defences. Altaria had to heal and Cotton Guard to fill this time. It's not a big deal though, and if I defence cheer before Boomburst and then idle I think that helps if I understood correctly?

An interesting pokemon I had the pleasure of joining forces with is Meloetta-A with the set of Charm/Swords Dance/Relic Song/Drain Punch. It's one of those builds that combines support and offence, modus operandi is reduce attack, swords dance after stat wipe, turn into pirouette form and drain punch to not die for the rest of the raid. They also added a Charm after shield went down. It's just too bad Meloetta is difficult to get.

On a different note, why do I even need these normal tera shards.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For online Rillaboom team raids, this has been my reliable all-purpose mon:

:sv/bellibolt:
Bellibolt @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Electric
Ability: Electromorphosis
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Parabolic Charge
- Chilling Water
- Acid Spray
- Slack Off

The beauty of this mon is that it has been BY FAR the best mon for increasing random teams' chances of actually winning the raid. Don't get me wrong, it isn't magic and it can't win a raid with lots of the dumb stuff people are bringing (like Koraidon for chrissakes!) But this takes many marginal teams and makes them winnable. Have some teammates bringing poorly-built or poorly-played Hands or Annihilapes and dying too often? This Bellibolt makes life a lot easier for those mons by suppressing brutal physical hits with Chilling Water. Have some decent teammates that aren't dying too much but they need a mon to help gang tackle Rillaboom offensively? Bellibolt can pile on just fine by Acid Spraying the gorilla and taking off good chunks of health with ParaCharge.

Bellibolt also Tera's faster and easier than any other mon I've used in Rilla raids. Bellibolt's mono-typing means it loses nothing when it Teras, which is awesome. Unlike Corviknight, who really HATES getting critted by Acrobatics after it Teras Fighting, or most other dual-typed mons that lose defensive posture when they Tera. And because Bellibolt uses only damage-dealing attacks (no status moves blocked by the shield) Bellibolt can usually Tera after a mere 3 turns of the battle. So even if Belli's biggest attack (Parabolic Charge) isn't SE on Rillaboom, and doesn't do huge damage even when Rilla is Acid Sprayed down to -6 SpDef -- Bellibolt is a legit offensive help because it's hitting with Tera while the rest of the team is still chipping against the shield after spending a bazillion turns at the start of the battle doing Iron Defenses, throwing out status moves like Screech, or rebuilding buffs after getting reset by the boss.

Also, because it is Electric type, Bellibolt can't get paralyzed by Body Slam which is a big help. Because even when I use Steel types like Corviknight, that Rillaboom has no business Body Slamming -- it's surprising how often it will throw out a random Body Slam and of course the 30% para chance is more like 99% in those cases lol. Bellibolt is on easy street regardless of the boss attack, without fear of dealing with full paralysis and the rest of that nonsense.

When I play Bellibolt, I usually lead off with two Chilling Waters. After that I play it by ear depending on my teammates and what my personal health looks like. If all our health is looking good or perhaps there are other special attackers on the team (pretty rare in this raid from what I've seen) I'll move to Acid Spray on turn 3 or so. If the team is getting pounded hard, I'll keep up the ChillWaters to let them catch their breath. If I took an untimely crit, maybe I'll do a Parabolic Charge or even Slack Off to heal. But once I get the attack lowered and a few Acid Sprays under my belt, Parabolic Charge will take me back to 100% every time or close enough to it after Lefties. After Rillaboom resets its debuffs and Growths again, I lean into the Chilling Waters again ASAP. If Boomburst crits, that can suck because another consecutive crit from Rilla's re-boosted attack will be brutal. But unless you get super unlucky with crits, this Bellibolt sits on cruise control and doesn't worry about dying, and can instead focus on doing whatever the team needs to win.

I tried this Bellibolt three times solo and I ran out of time every time. It just can't generate enough DPS to get it done solo. It might be able to work solo if I gave it Electric Terrain over Slack Off, and tbh I rarely use Slack Off anyway. But I'd rather use Corviknight or Annihilape for more consistent solo raids.

If you're looking for a good all-purpose player against Rillaboom, give Bellibolt a try. It's a consistent choice against a surprisingly difficult and frustrating raid boss.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)