Jolteon (Specs / Other Options) +

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jolteon
Other options is pretty much just copy and paste except for the addition of signal beam.

[SET]
name: SpecsJolt
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

<p>After the Choice Specs boost, Jolteon essentially has a Special Attack stat of 478. Thunderbolt deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it and is even capable of OHKOing max HP / max Special Defense Calm Togekiss 80% of the time when factoring in Stealth Rock. Because Thunderbolt already takes a large chunk of HP away from Shaymin-S and Salamence, Hidden Power Grass is used to more easily combat Swampert and Mamoswine, two Pokemon that otherwise wall the set. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to OHKO opposing Dragonite, Salamence, and Gliscor, and is Jolteon's best option against opposing Grass-types. The combination of Electric and Ice is only resisted by Magnezone in OU and gives Jolteon impressive coverage. Shadow Ball is Jolteon's best option against the Rotom formes and hits Celebi hard, although it doesn't have the power to OHKO. It is also Jolteon's strongest attack against Gliscor if Jolteon opts to use Hidden Power Grass. Baton Pass may seem out of place on this set, but by "dry passing", Jolteon is capable of scouting many of its potential counters, allowing the trainer to switch in another Pokemon accordingly. Signal Beam can be used in place of either Shadow Ball or Baton Pass, allowing Jolteon to OHKO Celebi, however its use is limited outside of that.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Roar allows Jolteon to deal with Pokémon like Raikou and Ninjask. Thunder Wave is annoying as always, and Jolteon, unlike Pokémon like Blissey, can actually get away with using it on the wrong Pokémon because of its Speed and Baton Pass. Agility can work well with Baton Pass, but this strategy is better utilized by Zapdos, who is statistically better suited for this type of set. The only advantage that Jolteon has over Zapdos is its higher Speed, which is negligible after Zapdos uses Agility. On the YawnPasser set, Jolteon can use Wish over Yawn, keeping Jolteon alive longer though reducing its coverage. Charge Beam is a possible option and is Jolteon's only way of boosting its Special Attack, but the power drop when compared with Thunderbolt is significant. Life Orb is not recommended on Jolteon due to the fact that it does not secure any significant KOes that the Leftovers sets do not. Signal Beam has rather limited use, but it does OHKO Celebi when boosted by Choice Specs.</p>

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Salamence, and Gliscor and is Jolteon's best option against opposing Grass-types
A comma is needed before the second "and," because it's two separate clauses.

Only thing I could find, great job as always Stellar :)

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Change in bold.

<p>After the Choice Specs boost, Jolteon essentially has a Special Attack stat of 478. Thunderbolt deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it and is even capable of OHKOing max HP / max Special Defense Calm Togekiss 80% of the time when factoring in Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to OHKO opposing Dragonite, Salamence, and Gliscor and is Jolteon's best option against opposing Grass-types. The combination of Electric and Ice is only resisted by Magnezone in OU and gives Jolteon impressive coverage. Shadow Ball is Jolteon's best option against the Rotom formes and hits Celebi hard, although it doesn't have the power to OHKO. Baton Pass may seem out of place on this set, but by "dry passing", Jolteon is capable of scouting many of its potential counters, allowing the trainer to switch in another Pokemon accordingly. Signal Beam can be used in place of either Shadow Ball or Baton Pass, allowing Jolteon to OHKO Celebi, however its use is limited outside of that.</p>

I fucking love this set... I use it all the time.

Here I go nitpicking... Obviously Electric + Ice is superior type coverage, but for this particular Jolteon, Hidden Power Grass vs. Ice should actually be discussed. In using this set substantially in Platinum, I think Hidden Power Grass deserves more of a mention and does much better in a Garchomp-less Metagame. Thunderbolt will OHKO Salamence and Shaymin-S easily after Stealth Rock anyway, and does quite a bit to Dragonite as well (has a chance to OHKO I believe). Hidden Power Grass is probably a better option because you OHKO Swampert who walls this all day, and you get the jump on Mamoswine which are the two most common thunderwave absorbers of this metagame, and have gotten increased usage. You don't lose much coverage since Celebi is 2HKOed by Shadow Ball, as is Breloom and Grass types aren't very common in OU. Gliscor falls to Shadow Ball in two hits also with Stealth Rock. Also, though this may seem minor, using Grass allows you to "trap kill." For example, if your opponent has a Vaporeon out, you can use Hidden Power Grass, and kill it if it stays in, or kill the ground coming in to absorb the Electric attack (happens ALL the time).

Anyway, this set is fucking rape... No one expects the Choice Specs Jolteon inquisition.

Oh yeah, I think people should give a Charge Beam + Life Orb set a try... it actually does work.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I was thinking about trying a set similar to my Rotom one.

I meant to discuss the Hidden Powers. I'll update with that now. And I agree about the Grass bit, so I'll update accordingly.

Agreeing with Raikoulover. HP Grass seems to be the superior option on this set, as Thunderbolt can kill Salamence and Skymin after SR. Although you lose the change to hammer Gliscor, you can hit Swampert, Rhyperior, and others for an easy KO.

Signal Beam should go along over Shadow Ball if HP Grass is chosen, as it gives better coverage against opposing Grass-types. It also has the ability to OHKO Celebi. But, choosing Signal Beam over Shadow Ball makes it so that you can't touch the RestTalking Rotom Forms at all.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Agreeing with Raikoulover. HP Grass seems to be the superior option on this set, as Thunderbolt can kill Salamence and Skymin after SR. Although you lose the change to hammer Gliscor, you can hit Swampert, Rhyperior, and others for an easy KO.
Already updated.

Signal Beam should go along over Shadow Ball if HP Grass is chosen, as it gives better coverage against opposing Grass-types. It also has the ability to OHKO Celebi. But, choosing Signal Beam over Shadow Ball makes it so that you can't touch the RestTalking Rotom Forms at all.
That is already in the set comments. =/

Choosing Signal Beam means you can't 2HKO Gliscor and you are walled by the Rotoms. Shadow Ball does over 60% to Celebi anyway sooooo....

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Not sure if that was directed at me, but its mentioned in set comments that Shadow Ball does a lot to celebi. The only reason Signal Beam is mentioned is for the ability to OHKO Celebi instead of 2HKO. That's why it isn't listed on the actual set.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Signal beam > shadow ball with HP Grass since it hits Grass types that resist electric SE, no?

Signal Beam only hits Grass types harder than Hidden Power Ice if they are not part Fighting, Flying or Poison.

Most Grass types in OU are of those types: Roserade, Skymin, Breloom...

Only a few BL Grass types like Abomasnow, and Ludicolo work take more damage from Signal Beam than Hidden Power [Ice].

As well as the seldom seen Cradily (whom is UU).

As for the "Dry Baton Pass" why not just switch out? Baton Pass' only use on Jolteon is for escaping Dugtrio's Arena Trap (since Jolteon is faster), or Pursuit users, so unless you wanna mention those as reasons for scouting (or I guess if you are scouting for an opponent's Priority move), then it is best to simply remove the Baton Pass option.

In its Place you could use Signal Beam to fill up its 4th slot with an attack, but you also have "Thunder" which can be used to score a few 1hkos that were once 2hkos from Thunderbolt, or for Rain Teams.

In fact, mention Hidden Power [Water] as another option for the Specs set if the user plans on using Jolteon in a Rain Team. It works to hit Mamoswine harder than Hidden Power [Grass], hits Rhyperior harder than Hidden Power [Grass], while still hitting Gliscor pretty hard at 210 base Power in the Rain, as well as hitting Infernape/Heatran harder than Thunder normally would, etc. (These all take into Consideration that the weather is Raining).

Plus Jolteon works well to support a water team since it can take Electric attacks, and hit back hard and first with Thunder and Choice Specs. (And unlike Electivire, it doesn't require switching into an Electric attack to be fast, allowing it to sweep even if your Swift Swimmers die).

You could also take Sleep Talk into consideration as making it a Thunder Wave and Sleep target effectively allows Jolteon to serve as a semi-status absorber, and heck, why not use Sleep Talk when you have no other options?

Well, Thunder and Signal Beam really aren't doing much as a 4th slot. Thunderbolt is always better (unless its raining, but that is other options material) and Signal Beam isn't better than any of the options listed already. Shadow Ball deals with Celebi already, and easily 2HKOs Breloom and will hit Roserade harder than Signal Beam, so it has no uses. Baton Pass actually DOES get some use, especially on your first appearance if you are scouting counters. You will be thankful when you Baton Pass from that Scarfed Dugtrio coming in on you thunderbolt, or that Careful Choice Band Tar that will pursuit the fuck out of you. Not only that, you can set up your Scizor on that Tar, etc.

Hidden Power Water is a good option but like you said, only on rain teams which again is just an other options mention, thats all. Sleep Talk is rather poor as well, since you are attacking randomly once, and Jolteon really shouldn't be acting as a sleep absorber... again.. other options material.

I've actually explored these options in practice, and Baton Pass gets the most use out of the 4th option.

What about Wish? If you plan on switch out often, perhaps try Wish... or even Yawn, works as a way to force an incoming counter to think about staying in. (Say someone switches in a Magenzone, would they want their Steel trapper to go to sleep that quickly?).

Plus if you know they will switch out their Pokemon, you can simply Yawn once more, racking up Spikes damage.

What about Wish? If you plan on switch out often, perhaps try Wish... or even Yawn, works as a way to force an incoming counter to think about staying in. (Say someone switches in a Magenzone, would they want their Steel trapper to go to sleep that quickly?).

Plus if you know they will switch out their Pokemon, you can simply Yawn once more, racking up Spikes damage.
That's better left to the Yawn Passer or Emojolt imo.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'd think bp would be handy just for choice pokemon stuck in electric attacks. Imagine coming in on a scarf gengars tbolt (I'd pair this thing with gyarados ^_^) and bp away as he switches (and he will switch if choiced) to ttar. Think of it as a u turn that doesn't do damage. And with jolteon's speed, it is works well.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Baton Pass works the best. I don't really know what else to say that hasn't already been said.

Signal Beam is just remaining in other options. It isn't worthwhile.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jolteon
Other options is pretty much just copy and paste except for the addition of signal beam.

[SET]
name: SpecsJolt
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

<p>After the Choice Specs boost, Jolteon essentially has a Special Attack stat of 478. Thunderbolt deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it, and is even capable of OHKOing max HP / max Special Defense Calm Togekiss 80% of the time when factoring in Stealth Rock. Because Thunderbolt already takes a large chunk of HP away from Shaymin-S and Salamence, Hidden Power Grass is used to more easily combat Swampert and Mamoswine, two Pokemon that otherwise wall the set. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to OHKO opposing Dragonite, Salamence, and Gliscor, and is Jolteon's best option against opposing Grass-types. The combination of Electric and Ice is only resisted by Magnezone in OU and gives Jolteon impressive coverage. Shadow Ball is Jolteon's best option against the Rotom formes and hits Celebi hard, although it doesn't have the power to OHKO. It is also Jolteon's strongest attack against Gliscor if Jolteon opts to use Hidden Power Grass. Baton Pass may seem out of place on this set, but by "dry passing", Jolteon is capable of scouting many of its potential counters, allowing the trainer to switch in another Pokemon accordingly. Signal Beam can be used in place of either Shadow Ball or Baton Pass, allowing Jolteon to OHKO Celebi; however, its use is limited outside of that.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)