Jolteon Discussion

The previous thread's last response was back in early February. It wasn't particularly long ago, so I apologize, but I've had the compulsive urge to create a thread on this electric eon since about yesterday...sorry...

#135--Jolteon

Image from Pokemonelite2000.com

Click to go to Serebii's Jolteon page

Element

Electric

Base Stats

HP--65
Atk--65
Def--60
Spd--130
SAtk--110
SDef--95

Ability

Volt Absorb--If the user switches in on an electric-type move, it gains up to 1/4th of its HP back instead of losing it. Also provides immunity to the paralyzing effects of Thunder Wave.

Notable Physical Moves

Other than possibly Quick Attack, no.

Notable Special Moves

Thunderbolt
Thunder
Charge Beam
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam (...)

Extremely small, but it's workable

Notable Support Moves

Substitute
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Protect
Light Screen
Attract
Sleep Talk
Charm
Fake Tears
Tickle
Wish
Yawn
Baton Pass
Agility
Helping Hand
Roar

This looks much better, no?

So here's little Jolteon, speedy and frail, nervous and moody, and a prime baton passer with a small movepool typical of the Eeveelutions. With some new things to work with such as Life Orb (practically made for this thing), HP Everything and Fake Tears, Jolteon can take a slightly more offensive front this generation. Special Attack-wise, of course.

It's trait, Volt Absorb, was probably one of the best upgrades in this generation, letting it get in on a Thunder Wave and healing back 1/4th of its HP no problem (whereas in Advance a Thunder Wave spelled your doom). Since it is just an awesome move for all other purposes--although probably going to be cut back a little because of Electivire--it shouldn't be too hard finding a spare moment to switch Jolteon in.

Below are some possible sets for the Jolt...

Jolteon @ Leftovers/Petaya Berry/Starf Berry ** ADV Standard
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Baton Pass
-Substitute/Agility
-Thunderbolt
-HP Grass/Ice

The old Advance standard, which should stilll work whether lead or other party member somewhere. It's speed allows it to be the most annoying little yellow creature on the planet, but take caution if this is what you're starting with--no longer is it just Aerodactyl leads you need to worry about, you also need to worry about Electivire switch-ins, Scarf'd Garchomp and Gengar. HP Ice is recommended, but if you're sure you're covered then take care of the bitch that is Swampert.

Jolteon @ Choice Scarf/Specs ** I AM CORNHOLIO
Modest or Timid (+SAtk/Spd, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Ground
-Thunder Wave/Hyper Beam (eh)

With the new choice items and Jolt's special Shadow Ball at its disposal, this is a...okay, it's movepool is extremely small so this doesn't work as well for it as it does for something like Raikou. But it can still work. Hyper Beam because it's there.

Jolteon @ Life Orb ** Novel to the Ty
Modest or Timid (I would go Modest) (+SAtk/Spd, -Atk)
-Fake Tears/Protect
-HP Ground
-Thunderbolt
-Quick Attack

^Of my own creation. If it works, it's designed to counter the Gyara/Vire combo and strike fear into the hearts of Reversalers. If it doesn't, it's a sacrificial thing so bring Dugtrio along for the fun.

Anyway, lead off with this. Protect is the best way to go to see if they have Electivire/Magnezone/Some freaky Electric in stock and get a lead CBer stuck, but if you're bold you can Fake Tears instead and hopefully they will have switched. Feel even bolder? HP Ground whatever's coming in. Reversalers and those that barely survive HP Ground/Thunderbolt naturally get QA'd promptly.

Jolteon @ Leftovers ** Sup Raikou
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Roar
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice/Grass
-Thunder Wave/Light Screen

ABSOLute suggested that Roar Jolteon be mentioned, so here's a possible set (well, I could have inserted Rawr in the first moveset, but then that would have produced a banana bunch of annoying slashes so this makes it neater...in a sense). Yay for loling at Raikou. Light Screen for the pseudopass if it is missed that much.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
-Fake Tears
-Wish
-Thunderbolt
-HP [AAAA]

Phuquoph suggested this set, which laughs at standard Blisseys and other special walls. Calm Mind Blissey will give him trouble though.

There are probably other things for this creature that I have missed because it has quite a few more options in the support area (and I'm forgetful), but that's what the thread's for. Discuss Jolteon!

*brick'd*

It should be noted that Thunderbolt+Shadow Ball hit everything neutral barring Magnezone, Steelix, Shiftry, and Cacturne...

Anyway, Jolteon could be a Charge Beam Passer...

Jolteon *Leftovers*
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
HP Grass/Ice/Ground
Baton Pass

Or there always the CG/LO

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power [Ice/Grass/Ground]
...Charge Beam (repeated boosted move seems okay...)

Also, why give Jolty Choice Scarf...Jolteon is Fast enough w/o it...seems kinda redundant...

Charge Beam + Thunderbolt seems rather redundant. I would say:

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Seems rather functional, really.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
Shadowball on Jolteon seems kinda dumb imo, I'd much rather have a Hidden Power over it.

As .:Schyther:. said, Electric + Ghost hits everything for atleast neutral except Magnezone, Steelix, Shiftry, and Cacturne, the latter half of which are really never seen in competitive play. Hidden Power [Ice] would also work well, too. A newer version of BoltBeam would be cool. I suppose it's all up to preference.

Jolteon @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Baton Pass
Agility/Substitute (with LO/Lefties respectively)
Charge Beam/Thunderbolt (likewise)
Yawn/Fake Tears/Tickle

Last slot is intended to hurt nearly anything that comes in, as opposed to being selective with HP Grass/Ice and hoping that they don't have the scarf that is Jolteon's doom. Maybe even Charm, if CBers are anticipated. Prediction is needed to get those three (four) moves to help you out, or else you could be safe and use Substitute. Yawn if the team doesn't have other sleep support, Fake Tears if you've got mixed or special attackers, Tickle if you've got good, fast physical attackers.
I find Charge Beam a decent pick over Thunderbolt if Life Orb elevates it, since it can work in conjunction with BP and/or Fake Tears. Might even be viable regardless.

If this is true, why not HP Fire...?
Because HP Ice and HP Grass exploits more 4x weakness and okay you will be hitting lot of things Neutral but Jolteon is kinda frail and won't kill many things with Neutral Hits, got the point??

You guys also want to think about how AS pokes might make Jolteon not as good as he used to be. It basically killed aerodactyl lol.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Saying "electric + ghost hits everything except blah blah" neutral is great, until you consider the fact that Jolteon won't be doing any damage with that unSTABbed, unboosted Shadow Ball to anything that takes it neutral.

Also, why give Jolty Choice Scarf...Jolteon is Fast enough w/o it...seems kinda redundant...
It's a little redundant but certainly helps against Scarf Garchomp, who would otherwise destroy Jolteon. Staraptor would probably also KO it easily, something that shouldn't happen.

Shadow Ball should only be used on in-game Jolteon (if not bothering to breed for Hidden Power) or for Choice Jolteon, who have no other options. It is super-effective against a handful of Pokemon, but those Pokemon can be covered by something that has more punch--Jolteon's a team player anyway, so it won't mind.

The only things I can think of that takes more damage from Shadow Ball than from tbolt or hp ice/grass are Claydol and celebi, and the ubers Lati@s and giratina (unless my math is wrong, which it usually is). But my Jolteon uses shadow ball because i don't have the time or patience to ride that bike around anymore, lol.

The old baton pass set will still work, however i'm iffy on charge beam. Is the dramatically lower base damage on your main attack worth a 50/50 shot at a stat boost? Perhaps in some situations, but 9 times out of 10, I want Jolteon to hit hard.

Roar Jolteon also should get special mention due to its ability to unexpectedly counter a bunch of things, most importantly Raikou.

Is the dramatically lower base damage on your main attack worth a 50/50 shot at a stat boost?
Charge Beam's effect rate is actually 70%. Its base power is 50.

BP'ing Charge Beam is really redundant with CM passing available as an option (for other Pokemon, obviously). Jolteon should only ever be passing Agility; keep in mind that Charge Beam is almost as weak as Thundershock.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only things I can think of that takes more damage from Shadow Ball than from tbolt or hp ice/grass are Claydol and celebi, and the ubers Lati@s and giratina (unless my math is wrong, which it usually is). But my Jolteon uses shadow ball because i don't have the time or patience to ride that bike around anymore, lol.

The old baton pass set will still work, however i'm iffy on charge beam. Is the dramatically lower base damage on your main attack worth a 50/50 shot at a stat boost? Perhaps in some situations, but 9 times out of 10, I want Jolteon to hit hard.

Roar Jolteon also should get special mention due to its ability to unexpectedly counter a bunch of things, most importantly Raikou.
Shadow Ball has 80 BP, not 70.

So basically you have: Gengar, Dusknoir, Mismagius, Bannete, Rotom, Zam, Exeggutor, Hypno, Claydol, Solrock/Lunatone, any Ground type, and any Grass type not named Ludicolo, Tropius, or Jumpluff.

You missed the point. Thunderbolt or hp ice/grass hits all of them harder than shadow ball. Except for exeggutor, i missed that one.

Oh, for some reason I was thinking that the effect of charge beam was 50%. :[ My bad. Still, the lowered damage is the deciding factor IMO.

Roar can go pretty much anywhere. I was running tbolt/roar/sub/bp for awhile, but that was specific for my team setup at the time...if you want to just forget about sub passing you can go with tbolt/hp/roar/twave or something

Neutral STAB Thunderbolt is 142, SE Shadow Ball is 160. So all the Pokemon Deck Knight listed take more damage from Shadow Ball, a few of them are immune/resistant to Thunderbolt too.

That said, I still wouldn't bother with Shadow Ball outside of a Choice Specs/Scarf set.

I ued to love Jolteon until people started using a +Speed nature for Gyarados and Swamperts started popping up everywhere (I like using HP Ice over grass). That's why a scarf version might be nice to outspeed a Gyrados that's Dragon Dancing. But that really feels a bit too situational. I think Zapdos does his job better.

Fake Tears could be funny with Spikes actually, a Fake Tear'd HP Ice or Shadow Ball probably 2HKOs Celebi.

Fake Tears/Wish/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power would stop Blissey doing anything significant to Jolteon and will actually beat her if she's stupid enough to stay in. Won't work so well against the CM sets though.

Im liking the idea of the Choice Glasses (IIRC Thats the One that raises SpA) as a suprise moveset.

Timid/Modest

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
HP Fire/Ice/Grass
Quick Attack?

Hidden Power Fire does less to Heracross than Thunderbolt, you're even better off with Hidden Power Fighting which hits Tyranitar for 4x damage, or Flying for Breloom and Heracross.

Fake Tears/Wish/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power would stop Blissey doing anything significant to Jolteon and will actually beat her if she's stupid enough to stay in. Won't work so well against the CM sets though.
Dude, you are the best at making movesets, I swear to god. Not that I expect blissey to stay in or anything, but hey, if Blissey has to run away from Jolteon...

Can someone crunch numbers on this to see how many Fake Tears it takes to 2HKO? I'd try, but I don't think i've ever been mathematically correct once in my entire life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)