Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
- Spore
- Haze
- Heal Bell
- Destiny Bond

People are probably going to shoot me for this one, but it's probably the most useful member of my team. Choice Scarf, Jolly, and Max Speed are to ensure Smeargle can hit nearly every lead with Spore. The conspicuous lack of entry hazards, I think, is justified, because Spore generally negates the opponent's lead's attempts at doing the same and messes them up psychologically (especially since their overall strategy usually depends on the lead, and in case they try it later, there's always Starmie in the ranks. Most of the battles I've played are free of entry hazards other than the occasional Stealth Rock, which is quickly spun off. Haze is in case of BP teams with Ninjask leads that have greatly annoyed me in the past; if I see one of those, I switch out immediately. Heal Bell is to get rid of Registeel's Rest, allows me to stay in on Yawn and KO that annoying wannabe phazer, and in the odd case of Machamp or TTar getting burned. Lastly, Destiny Bond. I love this thing: it lets me net that really annoying ending kill. I usually use it to remove something I don't have a counter for, like Max Speed Breloom after Alakazam's been KO'd or a fully set-up sweeper. Smeargle can keep coming in and Sporing after I KO the sleeping lead or it wakes up, which makes it very useful for taking out non-Scarfed Scizor if Alakazam's been KO'd. Max HP to increase the chance Smeargle will survive to use Spore more than once or twice, which is important for me to take out the things I don't have counters for. The lack of offense moves doesn't faze me because I can always Destiny Bond anything I want to kill if I'm cornered.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 158 HP / 252 Spd / 100 SpAtk
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Rapid Spin

Starmie was appropriate on this team to provide Rapid Spin, but I think the real clincher for Starmie was its use as a cleanup sweeper (should Alakazam have been KOd.) Surf is there for STAB and good neutral damage, Grass Knot to take out that bloody annoying Swampert that my team will otherwise have to rely on Spore to beat without major loss, and Thunderbolt, obviously, for Gyarados and Whirlwinding Skarmory. I also use Starmie as a status absorber thanks to Natural Cure, though Heal Bell on Smeargle generally renders this unnecessary.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 234 HP / 64 Atk / 24 Spd / 188 SpA
Nature: Rash (+SpA, - SpD)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

MixTar's deadly not only as a lure for this team, but also as a generic sweeper. Flamethrower ensures Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory are OHKO'd on the switch, especially the latter two who often try to switch in and wall. Earthquake is for coverage, and most Flying-types who try to switch in on its immunity are nailed by Ice Beam or Thunderbolt. The sandstorm helps me defeat Sashers and the occasional staller as well, as well as obviously boosting TTar's SpDef. TTar's defense and Attack don't need much boosting, they're naturally really high, so I added HP for the additional bulk and SpA to increase the punch of those moves, as they often really need to OHKO.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpAtk)
- Explosion
- Seismic Toss
- Rest
- Counter

Most people say the problem with Registeel are its weakness to the two most common physical attacks. So why, might you ask, is SpDef maxed out? To resist fire, since the other two don't matter. This set uses the strength of Fighting- and Ground-type moves against them using Counter, which destroys opposing Machamp, Flygon, Heracross, etc. who try to switch in and cause Registeel pain. For anything that pisses me off and I don't have a Counter for, I explode, and though I don't use it much, I can always Rest and Recover. Seismic Toss is to make sure I can do damage to non-Ghosts and break Substitutes. Essentially, I use Registeel to sponge Toxic and take care of annoying physical threats, or wall and kill special ones with Seismic Toss or Explosion.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def / 152 SpA
Nature:
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Payback

This thing is, plainly put, a monster. DynamicPunch rapes anything and everything that tries to switch into Machamp, even if they resist it, and confuses them to boot, except the ghosts, nearly all of whom are quicker and are OHKOd with Payback. Machamps base speed sucks so much that it doesn't hurt to further depress it, and in fact, making it slower makes increased Payback damage more likely, as Machamp as the bulk to take more hits. Fire Blast is to shock incoming Skarmory, Froslass, Forretress, Bronzong etc. who switch in hoping to wall Machamp, only to find themselves confused and then hit with a super-effective attack. The EVs ensure 2HKO of Skarmory and as much damage as possible to Bronzong, as well as OHKO of Forretress and Scizor if it's foolish enough to switch in. My usual plan is to use Spore with Smeargle and switch out to Machamp, who proceeds to confuse the sleeping lead, forcing a switch to the team's Ghost, which I OHKO with Payback and then spin away all entry hazards. Most games I play are entry hazard-free because of this. After the Ghost is down, I can DynamicPunch the hell out of pretty much everything else and use Registeel to absorb any super-effective attacks aimed at Machamp.

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SpAtk
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Shadow Ball

Alakazam is the finisher. Anything any of those guys can't take out, 'Kazam can. Life Orb + Sandstorm draining his health and the fact that he folds like paper if hit specially OR physically; nothing without a Scarf that isn't called Jolteon can touch it in the later stages of the game. Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire destroy the Steel-types of OU, and Shadow Ball crushes any Ghosts that escape Machamp's payback. Once Metagross/Jirachi/Bronzong are put to sleep by Smeargle, HP fire is used to whittle away at their HP and usually 3HKO. Focus Blast annihilates Heatran, Lucario, Umbreon, Tyranitar, etc. and Psychic dishes out huge neutral damage to sleeping or weakened opponents and 2HKOs, OHKOing anything that it's super-effective against.

This team Man gotta alot of stuff to change so lets get to it.

First, DD Nite walks all over this team when Registeel is out of the way. So, i sugest u change Alakazam to This:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
252 HP/252 Spe/6 Sp.A
Ability:Levitate
-Thunderbolt
-Shadowball
-HP Ice
-Hydro Pump

Or This

Gengar@Choice Scarf
252 SP.A/252 SPE/6HP
Abiltiy:Levitate
Nature: Timid
-Shadowball
-Thunderbolt
-Hp Ice
-Trick

Second if your going to use smergale as Lead Change it to This

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
-Spore
-Spike/Stealth Rock
-Trick
-U-Turn/Encore

Ur team could really use Stealth Rock Support

I know the team could use Stealth Rock support, but it seems kind of pointless to me since the other team won't have it either! Especially since I'd much rather have a sleeping lead and hence a free KO. I don't want to use a Scarfed Pokemon, but I agree with the switch to Gengar. One thing about the moveset: isn't MixTar good enough to take out DDNite? Even if I can't explode on him with Registeel or Spore him? And the coverage I lose out on without Focus Blast is kind of annoying, and without HP fire I'm Scizor bait.

Look, why would you NOT want entry hazards? Breloom, for instance, can do basically exactly the same thing your Smeargle is doing (put something to sleep) while being much better at killing things. Your Smeargle is just getting wasted. Just because the other guy doesn't have hazards doesn't make a good reason for you not to have them, in fact, it makes them more useful since in such a case you can simply switch around, forcing him to do the same but at a cost.

Superpower by the way is a better move on MixTyranitar than Earthquake, since it allows you to get past Blissey, Snorlax, other Tyranitar and the like, all of whom would otherwise beat you easily.

Your Registeel also isn't doing, well, anything. Its just a generic wall which absorbs attacks but really can't do anything in return to a player who knows what they're doing. It is ridiculously easy for a Gengar or Rotom-A to come in over and over again and set up.

On Machamp, Fire Blast is terrible. Situationally it lets you OHKO certain pokemon, but Machamp's Spatk is so terrible that that doesn't make it worth splitting his EV's. Just run Substitute over up, it max attack and bulk with Adamant.

Alakazam is a pretty bad pokemon and a very bad sweeper. Especially that set. It's really not hard to outspeed Alakazam, since Scizor in particular will laugh at you if it comes in on a kill or on anything not called HP Fire. Basically any Choice Scarfer will also kill you incredibly easily.

BTW, I can't emphasise the importance on entry hazards enough. Please please please incorporate them into the team. Plus change Alakazam and some of the sets, and incorporate some better synergy. I can't be more specific than that unfortunately.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Hello, jdesai927, welcome to Smogon! There are quite a few big changes this team needs, so I have a few suggestions to make that you'll hopefully find helpful!

I know you expressed concern over using entry hazards on Smeargle, but I highly recommend that you give it a go. Entry hazards are incredibly useful nowadays, mainly because it makes wearing down your opponent's team significantly easier. If your opponent's team is weakened by entry hazards, your team members will have an easier time cleaning up. As such, try using Spikes over Haze and Trick over Heal Bell. Spikes will serve as your entry hazard of choice, while Trick will allow you to cripple walls such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Blissey. Your strategy with Heal Bell seems a bit shaky, seeing as Smeargle won't be lasting long due to his frailty. The same applies to Haze - these type of moves are left better off on bulkier 'mons.

If you decide to give Spikes Smeargle a try, then replace Alakazam with a Rotom-W. Being part Ghost, Rotom-W will be able to block any Rapid Spin attempts your opponent may have. To be quite honest, Alakazam doesn't seem to mesh will with your team. Life Orb + sand in conjunction with Alakazam's abysmal durability hinder it from performing as an effective sweeper. Rotom-W, on the other hand, gives you a much needed check to the likes of Lucario, who would otherwise sever your team in half after a Swords Dance. Here's the set I recommend:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hydro Pump
-Trick

The move-set is pretty self explanatory. Let's move on.

Honestly, Registeel isn't doing anything particularly useful on your team. That slot could be filled up by a Pokemon that actually takes advantage of the holes your other Pokemon open up. One idea I have is to run an Agility Metagross over registeel. After an Agility, Metagross will outpace nearly everything, and with the insane power it packs, will be able to clean right through your opponent's team. With Smeargle's Spikes on the field, Metagross will have an even easier time doing the aforementioned. Use the following:

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-ThunderPunch
-Earthquake

Jolly + 252 Speed is used over Adamant so you can get a jump over Flygon, who you are relatively weak to. The rest is self-explanatory. Another suggestion I have is to use a Choice Band variant of Tyranitar over your current set, which is the second set found here. With a CB, Tyranitar can effectively eliminate the Pokemon that stop a Metagross sweep: Zapdos and Rotom-W. CB Tyranitar also packs immense power behind it; Stone Edge has the ability to 2HKO / OHKO nearly every 'mon in the game, while Crunch is powerful in its own right, so it's worth a shot.

Machamp's Special Attack is minuscule and as such, there's absolutely no reason to be using Fire Blast; it's very situational and won't be doing you any favors in the long-run. In place of Fire Blast, I highly recommend you use Substitute. Under a Substitute, Machamp becomes incredibly dangerous and can dodge pesky status inflicfting moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave. Without Fire Blast, you'll need to modify your EV spread. Use a simple spread of 248 HP | 252 Atk | 8 Spe to maximize Machamp's damage output and to give him a reasonable amount of bulk. You also have no nature listed. Use an Adamant nature to give Machamp more fire power.

On Starmie, you really should run Recover. Without it, Starmie will be worn down quickly if you take Tyranitar's sand into consideration. Grass Knot seems to be the most replaceable move on your set, so use it over that. If you decide to go with Rotom-w and the Metagross I suggested, Thunderbolt on Starmie becomes less necessary. If you're interested, you can run Ice Beam in place of it to take care of Dragonite and hit Grass-types on the switch in.

Good luck. Thank Iconic as well, he and I discussed the changes we could make to your team. He is -- the greatest.

Hey there Jdesai927,

Interesting for a first time RMT. I have a couple changes that I think you should consider for the team. The first is to change Registeel to Skarmory. This will give you some good entry hazard support. Skarmory also retains Registeel's typing, so you can keep the synergy working for your team. The set for Skarmory is:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp Def / 4 Def
Nature: Careful
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Roost
Also it is a great switch in for Physical attacking Pokemon like Metagross and Swampert. The next change I would reccomend is to change Alakazam into a Scarfed Rotom-a. This pokemon will serve as a Rapid Spin blocker so you can keep your hard earned entry hazards. It can also revenge common set-up Pokemon like Dragonite and Tyranitar. Also, if you find yourself in a rut, using Trick with Rotom-a can give you an upper hand in many matches and break through Blissey on stall teams. Here is the set:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Thunder Bolt
-Shadow Ball
-Trick
-Hydro Pump
Now onto just a few other minor nitpicks:

-Change Grass Knot to Ice Beam on Starmie. It will allow you better coverage as Grass Knot hits the same Pokemon as Thunder Bolt save Swampert who wont be an issue with Skarmory.
-Definitely maximize Machamp's Attack and HP. Its special attack is almost non-existent, so theres no reason to invest in it. Give it Substitute over Fire Blast too.

Otherwise I think you're on the right path as far as getting a working team. Good luck!

Fire blast is nearly useless on machamp. On all the pokemon you listed it's for can be confused by dynamic punch and then you can just switch out. Also froslass won't be walling machamp anytime soon. I recommend using the sub 3 attacks machamp with sub, dynamic punch, payback, and stone edge. so the ev's will be 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe.
I also think that you should have entry hazards on your smeargle. Entry hazards are VERY important. If your adamant about a choiced sleep lead have a breloom.
I second the idea of a choice scarf rotom-A

Thanks a lot for the suggestions you guys, I took a lot of it into account and reformed and reworked it to form a completely different strategy, but with similar team members. I'll post another RMT sometime soon, so hopefully you guys can help me out there.
Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)