January 12-14 - 7* Flying Blaziken

https://x.com/SerebiiNet/status/1744134779979645228?s=20

1704671995393.png

It's time for a new raid. Hopefully with more stable internet than the previous ones.

So let's assume Flare Blitz / HJK Close Combat / Brave Bird.
What kind of heresy are they going to throw at us this time? Sword Dance + Speed Boost?

Flying type means we're looking at Electric types really (as fire/fighting smacks ice and rock), or maybe Glimmora if we're feeling frisky.

Bellibolt stonks go up? Miraidon go brr??

Last edited:
So let's assume Flare Blitz / HJK / Brave Bird.
What kind of heresy are they going to throw at us this time? Sword Dance + Speed Boost?
Blaziken lost High Jump Kick in Gen 8 and never got it back. It still has lots of options, could also easily go mixed and set up Bulk Ups like Cinderace or a Focus Energy crit build with Blaze Kick. I expect to see Miraidon and Slowbro applied as common picks for this one as the simplest offensive/defensive picks. Hopefully being immune to Mud-Slap isn't too much of a problem for Azumarill.

Blaziken lost High Jump Kick in Gen 8 and never got it back. It still has lots of options, could also easily go mixed and set up Bulk Ups like Cinderace or a Focus Energy crit build with Blaze Kick. I expect to see Miraidon and Slowbro applied as common picks for this one.
hah i'm surprised about it actually. I guess considering they gave it Close Combat they didn't really bother to add HJK back.

That said, to me the real question is what 4th move it gets. The most notable options are Thunder Punch, Scorching Sands and Feather Dance.

If they don't give it Scorching bulky electric types are more or less a safe bet. Zapdos most notably strikes me as it also resists whatever fighting coverage, is neutral to electric, immune to ground and having access to both rain and stab Thunder, Roost, and most importantly, Static.

well, shame it isn't Giratina....I do think we'll circle around to the other legends eventually (the regi, at least, feel designed to be a raid since of the ones added back but not available they kind of stick out more imo). but we got all these starters to spread around....

There's no reason to do so, since Bulk Up exists, but it'd be funny if they gave it Curse as a way to help punish Blaziken if you find a way to get rid of the ability.

Feel like Acrobatics is on the table as the "big" move over brave bird. It's nearly comparable in power and has no downside for it.

Other "non-conditional" Fighting options are Aura Sphere, Focus Blast, and Close Combat. Interesting conundrum because it means Blaziken has to go mixed to use both STABs unless it debuffs itslf with Close Combat spam, which might rule out/incline teams a certain way for Boosting options.

Focus Energy would be curious since he only has Blaze Kick, Slash, Shadow Claw, and Night Slash, of which only Blaze Kick seems particularly relevant to how it would play regardless. Feather Dance and Focus Energy are Blaziken's only real utility considerations as a Raid boss, so Special Attacking Electric Damage is almost certainly gonna be the easy way to go alongside generic Screens Support (probably will do Focus Energy for lack of options so use stuff that works through Crits)

Earthquake is also in its repertoire for ground counter, instead of relying on special attacking with Scorching Sands

Stone Edge as an option for Zapdos (& Oricorio lol) too

Focus Energy would be curious since he only has Blaze Kick, Slash, Shadow Claw, and Night Slash, of which only Blaze Kick seems particularly relevant to how it would play regardless. Feather Dance and Focus Energy are Blaziken's only real utility considerations as a Raid boss, so Special Attacking Electric Damage is almost certainly gonna be the easy way to go alongside generic Screens Support (probably will do Focus Energy for lack of options so use stuff that works through Crits)
Honestly I don't think it's going to have much depth. I more or less expect a Cinderace repeat where it'll have one of Bulk Up / Sword Dance, and that'll be it.

There's a handful other tools they can give it, like Sunny Day, Will o wisp, even Rock Slide if they want to go the flinch route.

In fact Sunny Day actually makes sense, as it serves the triple purpose of giving it a stab boost, neutering water damage, nerfing Thunder accuracy, and if they are feeling spicy, give it 1 turn Solar Beam.

My plans currently:
1) Offensive Zapdos
:zapdos: Zapdos @ Leftovers / Shell Bell / Magnet / Damp Rock
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Discharge
- Rain Dance
- Roost

I don't see any reason to bother with Speed EVs giving the near guaranteed Speed Boost. If one is feeling frisky you can run Ancient Power over Discharge to fish for boosts while stacking tera but let's be real, shoulnd't matter.
This assumes no Rock Slide or Stone Edge, though I think if there's a debuffer you can easily live them until tera.

2) Defensive Bellibolt
:bellibolt: Bellibolt @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Electromorphosis / Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Discharge / Parabolic Charge
- Reflect
- Slack Off / Parabolic Charge

Basically just debuff to win. You can pick which recovery option you prefer, can even run both over Discharge if you run Static.
This obviously assumes no Earthquake or Scorching Sands coverage.

Also needless to say there's probably a few Arceus things that can be done with the usual Iron Defense / Judgement / Recover / Nasty Plot or something defensive with Reflect and debuffs. Can even make a super spicy Trick Room Arceus due to Speed Boost.

Last edited:
Fire / Fighting / Flying moves are essentially a given. I feel EQ is the likely 4th move over something like a Rock-type move. Tera Flying isn’t weak to other Flying-types, and Ice-types are melted by STAB Fire and Fighting anyway. Earthquake would cover the many Electric-types that are going to make an appearance, which makes me scared because of the many Iron Hands that are gonna show up and kill themsleves immediately.

:Giratina:
Giratina @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Stellar
Bold Nature
- Breaking Swipe
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Will-O-Wisp

Should just sit on Blaziken forever. A damn shame it doesn’t have Dragon Cheer, though, or a means to lower Defenses, but if you want a sure-fire damage-debuffing machine, Giratina-A will be your eldritch nightmare.

:zapdos:
Zapdos @ Shell Bell
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Metal Sound
- Helping Hand / Charge
- Thunder
- Rain Dance

After 19 years, Zapdos finally has access to Metal Sound again, a move it got once it was purified in Gale of Darkness. Opting for Tera Stellar to keep Zapdos’s defensive typing in the event Blaziken does have EQ. Wish it had Reflect or another way to lower Attack. With Rain, you resist its 3 STABs.

:rotom-fan:
Rotom-Fan @ Shell Bell
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA or 252 / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest / Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Reflect / Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder

Offensively-oriented Zapdos, basically. Same story with Rotom-Fan regarding the rain; all 3 STABs are resisted.

Last edited:
It's funny how we have so many different options now with the DLC, and the optimal Pokémon will still probably be Bellibolt.

That being said, we do have multiple fun options here.

There are many Pokémon that can use Dragon Cheer for a party wide buff. Latias looks like a fun option with a good typing, access to Reflect, Charm, Breaking Swipe, Heal Pulse, Helping Hand and more.

Raging Bolt with Rising Voltage could be very potent if people bring Miraidon into this raid.

Obviously, this set doesn't really matter with naturally-slow teammates like Bellibolt, but with faster mons like Zapdos, Miraidon, etc, they'll appreciate always being faster than Blaziken.
I am not completely sure this will work to be fair. Assuming everyone is taking their turns asap, Blaziken is gaining +4 speed per turn whereas you're only reducing one. Unless someone replaces its ability (which to be fair isn't that unlikely, several support mons learn Skill Swap, Worry Seed and similar stuff) it's not really going to work.

Rotom-Fan @ Shell Bell
While I can see it for Zapdos, considering Rotom-Fan has Levitate, Tera Stellar feels not necessary and I'd rather keep Electric for the extra damage (bar other shenenigans).

I am not completely sure this will work to be fair. Assuming everyone is taking their turns asap, Blaziken is gaining +4 speed per turn whereas you're only reducing one. Unless someone replaces its ability (which to be fair isn't that unlikely, several support mons learn Skill Swap, Worry Seed and similar stuff) it's not really going to work.

While I can see it for Zapdos, considering Rotom-Fan has Levitate, Tera Stellar feels not necessary and I'd rather keep Electric for the extra damage (bar other shenenigans).
Ah yeah, forgot about that.

I prefer the original typing for the Fighting-resistance, but if you feel safe enough to Tera Electric, ig that's fine.

Unless someone replaces its ability (which to be fair isn't that unlikely, several support mons learn Skill Swap, Worry Seed and similar stuff) it's not really going to work.
There is a possible strat for replacing the ability.

Latios has access to Simple Beam, which has interesting potential. If Blaziken doesn't self buff too actively, giving it Simple could be really strong since now Breaking Swipe, Acid Spray, Close Combat debuffs etc. would be doubled.

And of course, Simple Beaming your allies can be very helpful too.

There is a pokemon set that may be able to help against Blaziken, and its Rotom-Wash:
1704707927324.png

Rotom-Wash @ Shell Bell
Tera Type: Stellar / Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Reflect
- Nasty Plot

Rotom-Wash has the typing to resist Blaziken's fire and flying attacks, whilst also not being weak to Blaziken's Quakeslide combo. The plan would be for Rotom-W to set up Reflect to soften Blaziken's physical attacks and Rain Dance to weaken its fire attacks. Then, it can buff itself with Nasty Plot to spam Thunder.
Tera Type Stellar can be used to keep Rotom-Wash's defensive typing (so it can resist Flare Blitz), whilst Tera Electric can be used to power up Rotom-W's thunder.
The EV spread is used to make it physically bulky whilst giving it maximum special attacking power.

I'm thonking that ultimately the mix of preferred Electric + X type depends a lot on what the actual attacks/coverage end up being.

Also overally the best idea defensive-wise is to go for the Electric/Flying mons, mainly cause pretty much everyone will want to use Rain in some form to get the Thunders off, and that automatically neuters the fire hits, meaning you are tecnically "resisting" all 3 stabs.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
STAB are boosted the same way wether you use Stellar or the specific type anyway. Only coverages moves are *1.2

As always, I'm more interested in the solo so I won't overthink it so early, but I expect Bellibolt to be good unless Blaziken goes berserk with multiple offensive boosts early

Last edited:
STAB are boosted the same way wether you use Stellar or the specific type anyway. Only coverages moves are *1.2
The issue with Stellar tera in raid is that you don't get the tera modifier against shield so you're still doing reduced damage compared to regular one.
Basically it's like if you tera Steel but are using Electric attacks.

It's not necessarly relevant on every raid, but would be particulary troublesome on raids like idk Pikachu's or Eevees where you had a massive difference between 70% shield dmg if tera boosted and 30% if not tera boosted

There is a pokemon set that may be able to help against Blaziken, and its Rotom-Wash:
View attachment 589674
Rotom-Wash @ Shell Bell
Tera Type: Stellar / Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Reflect
- Nasty Plot

Rotom-Wash has the typing to resist Blaziken's fire and flying attacks, whilst also not being weak to Blaziken's Quakeslide combo. The plan would be for Rotom-W to set up Reflect to soften Blaziken's physical attacks and Rain Dance to weaken its fire attacks. Then, it can buff itself with Nasty Plot to spam Thunder.
Tera Type Stellar can be used to keep Rotom-Wash's defensive typing (so it can resist Flare Blitz), whilst Tera Electric can be used to power up Rotom-W's thunder.
The EV spread is used to make it physically bulky whilst giving it maximum special attacking power.
This’ll actually be the case where you want to go max HP instead of Defense. Rotom’s HP is so low compared to its higher Defense that you get slightly more out of 252 HP / 4 Def than you do the other way around. Will also help if Blaziken ends up running a mixed attacking set:

0+ Atk Blaziken Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rotom-Wash: 156-184 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0+ Atk Blaziken Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Rotom-Wash: 126-148 (52 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Gyarados:
Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Dragon Cheer
- Helping Hand
- Taunt / Rain Dance

Intimidate is a great way to start the raid with Blaziken neutered, followed by repeated Chilling Waters. Dragon Cheer and Helping Hand to boost teammate attack power, and Taunt is here in case of early set up moves. If set up moves happen later in the raid to the point where Taunt is worthless, you could run Rain Dance in that slot or something, and at that point, you can run Salamence running the exact same set:

:Salamence:
Salamence @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Breaking Swipe
- Dragon Cheer
- Helping Hand
- Rain Dance

The issue with Stellar tera in raid is that you don't get the tera modifier against shield so you're still doing reduced damage compared to regular one.
Basically it's like if you tera Steel but are using Electric attacks.

It's not necessarly relevant on every raid, but would be particulary troublesome on raids like idk Pikachu's or Eevees where you had a massive difference between 70% shield dmg if tera boosted and 30% if not tera boosted
I couldn't find the post in the datamine thread, but I thought it was concluded that stellar tera does get the full on-type tera shield damage modifier, it's just not stab, so it does less than an actual on-type tera move?

Assault Vest
AV feels like a bit pointless, unless for whatever reason they go full special (and I struggle to see why they would), you're better off with other items.
I posted something very similar earlier:
2) Defensive Bellibolt
:bellibolt: Bellibolt @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Electromorphosis / Static
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Discharge / Parabolic Charge
- Reflect
- Slack Off / Parabolic Charge
If you don't want to run a defensive item/spread, you can run Magnet or whatever that item that boosts leeching moves is to bump up your Parabolic charge heals, or just Shell Bell.

AV feels like a bit pointless, unless for whatever reason they go full special (and I struggle to see why they would), you're better off with other items.
I posted something very similar earlier:

If you don't want to run a defensive item/spread, you can run Magnet or whatever that item that boosts leeching moves is to bump up your Parabolic charge heals, or just Shell Bell.
I went with Assault Vest in the case they decide to make him mixed. 110 isn't exactly a number to scoff at. I could see him running stuff like Overheat (Although in that case maybe the Assault Vest would actually be useless), Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere, Flamethrower, maybe Solar Beam if they give him Sunny Day, I dunno, it's just me. Though I guess with Focus Blast and, to a lesser extent, Fire Blast it's just a matter of if he can actually land them.

I went with Assault Vest in the case they decide to make him mixed. 110 isn't exactly a number to scoff at. I could see him running stuff like Overheat (Although in that case maybe the Assault Vest would actually be useless), Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere, Flamethrower, maybe Solar Beam if they give him Sunny Day, I dunno, it's just me. Though I guess with Focus Blast and, to a lesser extent, Fire Blast it's just a matter of if he can actually land them.
While I agree there is a decent chance they give him a special attack (most likely Aura Sphere) it's still much more likely that it'll be spamming flare blitz / brave bird.

On that note, if they give it focus blast, then running mud-slap is the best thing possible on supports as it easily drops the accuracy below 50%

While I agree there is a decent chance they give him a special attack (most likely Aura Sphere) it's still much more likely that it'll be spamming flare blitz / brave bird.

On that note, if they give it focus blast, then running mud-slap is the best thing possible on supports as it easily drops the accuracy below 50%
Mud Slap's a Ground move.

I couldn't find the post in the datamine thread, but I thought it was concluded that stellar tera does get the full on-type tera shield damage modifier, it's just not stab, so it does less than an actual on-type tera move?
That only applies to Stellar Tera Blast, which will hit for full matching damage but only have a 1.2x STAB multiplier and nerf your offenses. The shield only cares about if you are terastallized and if your move type matches your tera type, so any mismatch will give you the worse damage rate, and Stellar will never match with anything but Tera Blast and Starstorm.
1704740830495.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)