Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o Discussion

i dont see kommo-o in OU
its just too weak even at +1; maybe if it had an outrage that lasted 1 turn and didn't confuse and got close combat it'd be OU
best sets i can think of are:

kommo-o@life orb
4/252/0/0-/0/252+
jolly nature
dragon claw
dragon dance
poison jab
sky uppercut

kommo-o@life orb/choice scarf
4/0-/0/252/0/252+
timid nature
autotomize/flamethrower/hidden power whatever
clanging scales
focus blast
flash cannon

autotomize would be for LO, other moves for the first slot would be for scarf

Personally, I'm actually eyeballing

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

as being one of its best sets right now. Strong mixed bulk allows it to set up to +2 speed and clean up with its strong dual-STAB combo, with Flamethrower for coverage. Decent wincon.
i agree with this set. but i would dump some of the ev in hp to make it bulkier. so it would be like this:

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat / Soundproof
EVs: 152 HP/ 252 SpA / 104 (to make it a little bit bulkier and speed creep scarf lando-t at +2)
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- FlashCannon / Flamethrower

and the calc results are surprisingly good:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 257-304 (80.5 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Clanging Scales)
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 190-224 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 211-250 (63.1 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and its bulk is quite good as well

220+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 57-67 (17.3 - 20.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 147-174 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 133-159 (40.4 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Personally, I'm actually eyeballing

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

as being one of its best sets right now. Strong mixed bulk allows it to set up to +2 speed and clean up with its strong dual-STAB combo, with Flamethrower for coverage. Decent wincon.
Maybe, but I could see people subbing in Flash Cannon over Flamethrower, because of its glaring issues with Fairies.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
I agree that this mon's Fighting STAB movepool could be better - but hey, Sky Uppercut isn't terrible.
Dragon/Fighting is kinda a volatile type coming off the back of this gen's Pesudo-Legend (hell, that STAB typing would have been broken pre-gen 6), so... I guess it's for the better.

Maybe...
Kommo-o @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Sky Uppercut
- Flamethrower
- Poison Jab

Overcoat stops me getting screwed over by Spore, as Pixilate Hyper Voice may not be as common under BL.
Other options I'm thinking of (no particular order):
- DD
- Rock Slide / Rock Polish + Rock Z-move
- Dragon/Fighting Z-move
- Earthquake / Bulldoe
- Choice Scarf
- Soundproof

What else?
P.S: Thinking about it - this mon would be really good with Sticky Web support.

EDIT: Oh yeah - Autotomize + Steel Z-move

I agree that this mon's Fighting STAB movepool could be better - but hey, Sky Uppercut isn't terrible.
Dragon/Fighting is kinda a volatile type coming off the back of this gen's Pesudo-Legend (hell, that STAB typing would have been broken pre-gen 6), so... I guess it's for the better.

Maybe...
Kommo-o @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Sky Uppercut
- Flamethrower
- Poison Jab

Overcoat stops me getting screwed over by Spore, as Pixilate Hyper Voice may not be as common under BL.
Other options I'm thinking of (no particular order):
- DD
- Rock Slide / Rock Polish + Rock Z-move
- Dragon/Fighting Z-move
- Earthquake / Bulldoe
- Choice Scarf
- Soundproof

What else?
P.S: Thinking about it - this mon would be really good with Sticky Web support.

EDIT: Oh yeah - Autotomize + Steel Z-move
I like that set and probably going to use it myself if we can get hidden abilities sooner. I plan to have an Alolan Ninetails on the team with him and haveing hail protection is nice

Honestly, Kommo'o might end in sort of a Hydreigon situation, where it doesn't quite make the cut for OU but has fair bit of versatility and its sets still put in work. Like, a B- on the OU VR and significantly better on UU. I'm banking on one of mixed LO wallbreaker, special Autotomize LO, bulky physical attacker, or DD to be the main set, with Belly Drum somewhere below.

Tory

Banned deucer.
I prefer Dragon Dance over Autotomize, Sword Dance, and Work Up for Kommo-o. For example, Metagross with Agility is superior to Kommo-o with Autotomize.

Belly Drum + Mach Punch would of been nice. But it doesn't get Mach Punch. :/

This Pokemon have lots of great movesets like Dragonite and Tyranitar does. Here is the set that I will try.

Kommo-o@Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Sky Uppercut
- Dragon Dance
- Flamethrower

Remember, there are so many great moves to use with this Pokemon. All three abilities are usable. I like Soundproof ability for Kommo-o the best because it is hard for users stop Dragon Dance with Roar. A Few Pokemon in OU can use Whirlwind, Skarmory will get hurt by Flamethrower. Another reason is Soundproof ignores Hyper Voice.

What an awesome design wasted with pretty mediocre stat distribution and lackluster movepool. Only time will tell (and hopefully move tutors next year) if this has OU potential.

I was bit upset at it's balanced stat distribution. That HP stat is too low for such a bad ass looking Poke. If I'm not mistaking, Kommo-O has the lowest base HP of all Pseudo Legendaries. Edging out Metagross and Goodra who have 80.

Movepool wise, I'm very disappointed that Kommo-O doesn't get Close Combat. Not even Drain Punch. Sky Uppercut is whack. Imperfect accuracy for a relatively low base power move that has an extremely situational effect. Brick Break just got worse due to Psychic Fang competing with it. Though a "Decent" option to SU considering there are no other options. This man better get Drain Punch via move tutor at the very least.

No doubt that Kommo-O is good. Though I question it's place in OU. 110 is good, but not good enough to KO really bulky mons even after boosting your attack.

The fact that it can do Sub-Belly-Salac with STAB Reversal, good enough base Speed to make it fast at +1 (like Heracross, now that I think about it), and Soundproof to force non-Infiltrators to attack the Substitute is just awesome. This might be a sweet gimmick to use on occasion to clean up late-game.

Kommo-o reminds me of Tapu Koko in that people are really underestimating it as a Special Attacker because its Attack is higher.

It doesn't even need to run Draco Meteor: Clanging Scales isn't that much weaker, and it only lowers your Defense.

Kommo-o reminds me of Tapu Koko in that people are really underestimating it as a Special Attacker because its Attack is higher.

It doesn't even need to run Draco Meteor: Clanging Scales isn't that much weaker, and it only lowers your Defense.
I was gonna go a mixed attacker myself, but yes it does have some amazing special attacks if you wanna go mono Attacker

I really dont think this mon is going to be that bad. Dragon/Fighting grants a lot of resistances and nothing uses fairy moves as secondary coverage if they aren't STAB (along with the nonexistence of hp fairy) so its one of the better 4x weaknesses to have- its unlikely that you will be caught offguard by a surprise moonblast from anything.
It gives your team 7 resistances and resists stealth rock, 2 high BP special attacks in Clanging Scales and Focus Blast, good mixed coverage, and can muscle past both heatran and ferrothorn as a dragon type. It also can beat blissey and chansey.

what's more, it ignores mega gardevoir and sylveon's hyper voice thanks to soundproof which is one of the scarier fairy type nukes in the game, and does not get ohkod by a psyshock thanks to great defense, which allows it to return with a poison jab. It has great coverage, good enough power and ability imo

Last edited:
Though, Soundproof won't really be relevant until Bank is updated in January. Mega Garde is currently unobtainable, and there is no Hyper Voice tutor in SM.

Until then, Bulletproof should be the ability of choice.

I think this mon has potential. Its decent typing, Bulletproof, and good bulk gives it setup opportunities against a lot of pokemon like non-Flash Cannon Aegislash, Tyranitar, and Bisharp. Having a lacking physical movepool sucks, but for what it has to to work with, its not too bad. +1 LO Skyuppercut is still strong enough to 2hko skarmory after some prior damage and +1 Poison Jab is dealing over 80% to Clefable, a relatively bulky Fairy-type. Nerfs to priority will likely make DD sets alot scarier than they would have been in gen 6, though faster Scarf mons like Tapu Lele will still likely pose a huge threat. Aside from maybe Autotomize sets against offensive teams, I don't think special attacking sets will be too good in OU due to the increased number of fairy types that these sets will have trouble breaking. However, Specially based sets will likely be really good in UU and under. Clanging Scales and Focus Blast are both really strong Stab moves and coverage moves like Flash Cannon and Flamethrower can easily take care of most pokemon that resist these moves.

I think this pokemon will be significantly better once the eventual 3rd game comes out and tutor moves pokemon averrable to it. Potential access to Superpower and Drain Punch as more reliable / Stronger Fighting STAB moves and the elemental punches, Knock Off, and Iron Head for coverage would benefit Dragon Dance sets immensely.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Takes out calculator* Yup, pseudo Legendary.

Shame about that Speed, but outside that and HP everything is at or above 100 which is nice, definitely for a Dragon/Fighting. Just pick the immunity Ability your worried about (bombs/balls, sound, or weather/spores/powders) and let's go to moves.

Dragon STAB is a pick your high powere poison between Clanging Scales or Outrage. Its when you try picking a Fighting STAB does a red flag go up. You choices for a Fighting STAB is Sky Uppercut and Brick Break. What. The yeti crab I just reviewed gets Close Combat but not the fighting dragon! It doesn't even get Superpower so you could maybe do a mix set with Draco Meteor (though no Dragon Pulse either?). They kind of shafted Kommo-o here.

Well, moving on to coverage it gets quite a few with Earthquake, Flamethrower, Aerial Ace, Brutal Swing, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, and Flash Cannon. Utility moves are mainly power-ups like Belly Drum, Autotomize, and Dragon Dance. Egg Moves aren't anything useful, to rub salt in the wounds they even give it Dragon Breath.

The lack of powerful Fighting-type moves is the thing that hurts it worst (GF, if you were afraid of the Dragon/Fighting being too strong, DON'T MAKE ONE! Or don't make it a pseudo Legendary). Yeah, low Speed, but it has both Dragon Dance and Autotomize to fix that. Hopefully Third Version/Remake Move Tutors can fix this.

*Takes out calculator* Yup, pseudo Legendary.

Shame about that Speed, but outside that and HP everything is at or above 100 which is nice, definitely for a Dragon/Fighting. Just pick the immunity Ability your worried about (bombs/balls, sound, or weather/spores/powders) and let's go to moves.

Dragon STAB is a pick your high powere poison between Clanging Scales or Outrage. Its when you try picking a Fighting STAB does a red flag go up. You choices for a Fighting STAB is Sky Uppercut and Brick Break. What. The yeti crab I just reviewed gets Close Combat but not the fighting dragon! It doesn't even get Superpower so you could maybe do a mix set with Draco Meteor (though no Dragon Pulse either?). They kind of shafted Kommo-o here.

Well, moving on to coverage it gets quite a few with Earthquake, Flamethrower, Aerial Ace, Brutal Swing, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, and Flash Cannon. Utility moves are mainly power-ups like Belly Drum, Autotomize, and Dragon Dance. Egg Moves aren't anything useful, to rub salt in the wounds they even give it Dragon Breath.

The lack of powerful Fighting-type moves is the thing that hurts it worst (GF, if you were afraid of the Dragon/Fighting being too strong, DON'T MAKE ONE! Or don't make it a pseudo Legendary). Yeah, low Speed, but it has both Dragon Dance and Autotomize to fix that. Hopefully Third Version/Remake Move Tutors can fix this.
Still outspeeds Goodra. And tutors will make this thing a menace

It learns Belly Drum, doesn't it? Perhaps a Salac set or conventional Sitrus might put in some work. Shame it has no priority.
I like your idea right there. Afterall, they chose to give it really good 75/125/105 Defenses. And Dragon Fighting typing has a decent set of resistances. It can set up on a couple Pokemon in OU (especially Gengar if it has Bulletproof). And then with Attack at +6 and Speed at +1 (if your HP gets knocked down that far at all) I think it has a chance to sweep. An alternative to the Salac berry if it is too hard to get the HP to go down to 25%, then you could just replace Poison Jab with Rock Polish, making sure that all Fairies are vanquished before setting up.

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof / Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab
- Belly Drum

Don't really need calcs to tell you this thing basically kills everything but here's one against a defensive Skarmory to prove it:
+6 252 Atk Kommo-o Sky Uppercut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 280-331 (83.8 - 99.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Can see this one having fun with Z-Move Belly Drum in a Para-Shuffling Team; or even Speed boosting since its bulk is really workable with a full heal.

If Clanging Scales were physical, that'd be great. Then again, it doesn't have CC in which to support it.
UU most likely, with niches in OU.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I actually approve of Kommo-o. It has some pretty interesting things going on for it with its 3 solid abilities - Soundproof preventing Roar and Hyper Voive, Bulletproof nullifying a lot of what Gengar has to throw (barring WoW), and Overcoat being dickish to Breloom and Amoonguss. Fighting is also welcome from a defensive standpoint as it gives opportunities to set up against Tyranitar and some Mega Gyarados. Autotomize Special with Clanging Scales, Focus Blast, and Flamethrower sounds solid while other sets like Swords Dance and Dragon Dance make okay wall breaker or cleaning. It might not remain forever in OU, but it has really interesting niches behind it that set it apart from some of its Dragon brethren like Garchomp, Salamence, and Dragonite.

If it drops to UU I expect this thing to be quite deadly. All this thing needs IMO is Drain Punch and / or Mach Punch.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)